Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E21: The Bank Job / S04.E22: Crime & Punishment

• Start Topic

On 5/24/2017 at 5:48 PM, peeayebee said:

All the hacking on Terry was great. A catalog model in Japan and Sir Dance-a-Lot. Poor guy. I recognized the third actor as the guy from Comedy Bang Bang, but who were the other two?

The woman was Kulap Vilaysack (also does comedy and podcast stuff, Scott Aukerman's wife). According to Kulap's instagram the other guy is Eugene Cordero.

• Love 1

Finally saw the final two episodes!  Honestly, I was a bit underwhelmed.  I obviously know nothing bad is going to happen to Jake and Rosa in the long run, and their are ways to find humor in dark situations, but it wasn't fun watching Jake and Rosa basically get outmaneuvered and beaten in every aspect.  A lot of it is that thanks to other shows this season, I've just gotten tired of the "all-knowing" villain, and it feels like Hawkins is basically ten steps ahead of everyone, and lacks any bite.  Also, it felt like everyone acted slightly dumber or more emotional in this episode to make it work: especially Jake seeming to put his foot in his mouth more then normal.

In general, a lot of humor seemed way broader then normal, from Pimento being Pimento, to Boyle stressing out so much, that he suddenly turns into an old man, with full grey hair and can't even walk.  For a lack of a better word, it did feel too cartoonish at times.  Sure, this show can be goofy a lot of times and I love it for it, but I do think there is a line in the sand, that these two episodes kind of crossed at times.

Gina is now pregnant, and of course, it ends up the father ends up being someone who looks like Ryan Phillippe, because everything always comes up Gina.  Surprised they didn't go meta/fourth wall, and have it be Jordan Peele.

Stephanie Beatriz was the MVP of these episodes.  Really, in general, she has been one of the most pleasant surprises of this show, since she didn't have as big of a comedic background as the rest.  Come to think of it, Melissa Fumero is the same way.  Gold star to whoever casted both of them.

Even if the case was "off the books," I still felt like Holt would have had other options to try and help.  He was strangely hands off in these episodes.

Certainly am glad it's renewed, since this would have been a horrible way to end the show for good, but this season kind of went out with a whimper.  I still think a lot of it had to do with the back-to-back airings, that really messed with the flow.  But I guess I can't be too picky.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Stephanie Beatriz was the MVP of these episodes.  Really, in general, she has been one of the most pleasant surprises of this show, since she didn't have as big of a comedic background as the rest.  Come to think of it, Melissa Fumero is the same way.  Gold star to whoever casted both of them.

Yes, I adore both of these actresses so much. I hope that when the show eventually does end that B99 has given them enough exposure that it won't be too hard for them to find other great roles to utilize their talent.

• Love 4
On 5/23/2017 at 10:29 PM, DearEvette said:

OMG, Terry's colorful past is giving me life!.  I couldn't wait to see they hacked next.  I love that he was a model in Japan.

Terry rules Da Bassment!

On 5/24/2017 at 8:04 AM, Maya said:

Oh and that entire plot with the hot Boyle cousin is ridiculous. 

You mean the weird-looking Boyle (cue Twilight Zone music).

On 5/24/2017 at 1:44 PM, stillsearching74 said:

what is the appeal of Gina? I'm asking with total respect, just genuine curiosity. She's just unbearable to me, conceited with so little reason to be, rude and obnoxious in ways that aren't even the slightest bit funny. She constantly "wins" without trying, caring or even acting like a halfway decent person.

If you read the episode threads, you'll find out that most of us feel the exact same way.

On 5/24/2017 at 4:50 PM, iMonrey said:

And that's why they did it that way, to engage us to help them make sure Fox renewed the show.

Networks do not care about fans.  At all.  They don't care about Twitter trending or Tumblr accounts or any social media.  Except for a very few instances (which have more to do with studio deals, like Sony saving Timeless or Netflix saving Agents of SHIELD), nothing but ratings matter.

On 5/24/2017 at 10:29 PM, AnnaRose said:

Fabulous character descriptions Allie56!  Spot on.

Agreed

On 5/25/2017 at 10:34 AM, ZoqFotPik said:

Also, what the hell kind of restaurant is closed on the weekends? Sundays I can kind of understand, but Saturday too? I'm with Terry "Such a strange theme for a restaurant."

"Wednesday", where it's never the weekend!  LOL

On 5/26/2017 at 0:23 PM, betweenthebanter said:

Yes, I adore both of these actresses so much. I hope that when the show eventually does end that B99 has given them enough exposure that it won't be too hard for them to find other great roles to utilize their talent.

They have done so ,many videos together, too, like this Get Out The Vote one.  They really seem like besties.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:41 PM, NutmegsDad said:

I just realized it, but, during his address to the jury, Jake slipped in another "Name of Sex Tape" joke. I need to go back and find it.

"One More Butt And You're In Contempt!"

• Love 2

Networks do not care about fans.  At all.  They don't care about Twitter trending or Tumblr accounts or any social media.  Except for a very few instances (which have more to do with studio deals, like Sony saving Timeless or Netflix saving Agents of SHIELD), nothing but ratings matter.

That's not altogether true - networks care mostly about money, and fans = money. They do pay attention to things like critical acclaim and social media buzz. Shows "on the bubble" have been saved in the past by letter-writing campaigns. No doubt that's why the writers decided to end the season with a big cliff-hanger. They figured if the show got cancelled, or was on the verge, all the fans would write to the network and demand they bring the show back because they all want to see the cliff-hanger resolved. If the last episode had some measure of closure or could have served as a series finale, fans wouldn't be that motivated to write to the network and demand another season.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Shows "on the bubble" have been saved in the past by letter-writing campaigns.

Just makes me think of Chuck and the Subway sandwich campaign. It quite literally saved the show and it lasted 3 seasons after!

• Love 3

The brilliance of the Chuck campaign was that it targeted one advertiser. Not only did this show NBC that people were watching, but it got Subway to basically share some of the costs in exchange for a commercial during each episode. In that way, jhlipton is right, it was about following the money. Just not in the traditional sense. 

• Love 2

The character of Gina should not have a child.  It's never a good idea for someone so self-centered to have the responsibility for another human being, IMO.  I was hoping she would confess she is being a surrogate for someone.  

I think the scenes with Holt and Rosa are always wonderful.  The writers always do a great job with those two.   

• Love 5

So I just finished binging this series, and this last episode was killing me that I couldnt go right onto season five. I felt like Jake saying "cool cool cool cool cool" over and over again. I'll admit, I didnt see the double cross coming at all. I can see Rosa surviving in jail, but Jake? He was crying just being in Florida away from his job and Amy. Really jail should be awful, so I dont know how they're going to make it funny or without consequences for Jake and Rosa. I hope the first episode is Nine-Nine find evidence to get both of them out. Compared to the other seasons finales, I had a sense of dread for Nine-Nine. 

• Love 1

I watched the finale episodes a second time before I deleted them.  I actually had to force myself to watch them again. (Normally I would happily rewatch a bunch of times.)   I really hated how they ended this season.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 28/06/2017 at 5:18 AM, SnoGirl said:

So I just finished binging this series, and this last episode was killing me that I couldnt go right onto season five. I felt like Jake saying "cool cool cool cool cool" over and over again. I'll admit, I didnt see the double cross coming at all. I can see Rosa surviving in jail, but Jake? He was crying just being in Florida away from his job and Amy. Really jail should be awful, so I dont know how they're going to make it funny or without consequences for Jake and Rosa. I hope the first episode is Nine-Nine find evidence to get both of them out. Compared to the other seasons finales, I had a sense of dread for Nine-Nine. 

This is so close to how I feel about the season finale - like SnoGirl, I can't see Jake coping with jail at all. And I'm furious at being manipulated like this by the showrunners.

See, this might have worked in the first season, when Jake was just a cartoon - in fact, I remember being really annoyed at The Apartment, for trying to make me feel something for Gina. I was dragging my heels the entire time, and I still feel that way about Gina: she's just amused me a couple of times, and the rest of the time I just find her really irritating.

But Jake hasn't been a cartoon for a very long time. And when I read something like the showrunners didn't even know they'd be renewed when they filmed these episodes, I get very angry. Fuck's sake, man. This isn't Game of Thrones.

On 28/06/2017 at 3:49 PM, AnnaRose said:

I watched the finale episodes a second time before I deleted them.  I actually had to force myself to watch them again. (Normally I would happily rewatch a bunch of times.)   I really hated how they ended this season.

I envy you - I haven't managed to watch them more than once, and I was already spoiled for them, because I was afraid that's how they were ending, and I didn't want to watch them unprepared.

Even so, I can't express how much I hated the last episode. We seriously had to watch all those hackers arsing around, while Jake was strolling towards a jail sentence? Seriously? I couldn't even enjoy Terry's various adventures, because I don't know about everyone else, but I don't find hacking into someone's info and exposing their secrets particularly funny.

I don't know what can redeem the show for me next season - finding out that it was an elaborate undercover scheme to trap Hawkins? Finding out that Amy rallied the Santiagos (her dad's an ex-cop and aren't her 6 brothers cops too?), got Jake and Rosa exonerated, and sent someone after Hawkins and her entire gang? The end-line being:

"The Santiagos send their regards."

See, I know this is a sitcom, and so isn't expected to be realistic, but they've trotted out the paperwork and forms thing before (when Jake wanted to slam down his badge and gun, and Holt told him that no, he had to go to another office and fill in lots of paperwork first), so I wonder - do they know that someone who's been in jail can't be a cop anymore? And Amy's never going to be Captain if she's going out with a felon. WTF, show.

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 2
(edited)

So I've been binge-watching Prison Break and this show. I decided last night to watch these last two episodes because "at least Brooklyn 99 doesn't make my stomach tie up in knots."

Wrong. Oh, so wrong.

I'll participate more when the new season comes, but for now let me just say I thought Samberg's acting was tremendous there at the end. Even aside from the litany of "cool"s, you could tell from his acting choices exactly just how terrified Jake was.

Tremendous show. So glad I decided to binge it from the comments I read in the "Racism on TV" thread in the forums!

Edited by Miss Dee
Spelling
  • Love 2
On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎24 at 1:28 AM, Traveller519 said:

Stephanie Beatriz has really hit it out of the park this season. I think she's going to be the break out star of the series.

I think it was in this episode (or possibly "The Slaughterhouse" -- I've been binge-in (binging?) on the end of Season 4 - beginning of Season 5) that Rosa had a moment that made me howl with laughter: I think it was when Jake was giving her a hard time about Nancy Myers' movies, and Diaz lets out this groan, just this agonized, unarticulated "Ahgnh" sound was so damned funny. I can't even really explain why -- but it was perfect. It was just the perfect thing for that moment.