Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E24: Live Top 10 Eliminations

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

Seven artists are saved by America's votes.  Two of the bottom three artists are eliminated after they compete for the Instant Save.  Performances by Charlie Puth and Maren Morris.

Discuss the results of the latest two eliminations here.

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Jesse Larson (saved by America's vote)

Team Gwen
Hunter Plake (saved by America's vote)
Brennley Brown (saved by America's vote)

Team Alicia
Chris Blue (saved by America's vote)
Vanessa Ferguson (saved by Twitter vote)

Team Blake
Aliyah Moulden (saved by America's vote)
Lauren Duski (saved by America's vote)
TSoul (saved by America's vote)

This is our top eight.  These are our semifinalists.

• Love 4

I am thrilled with the outcome.  I don't really think Vanessa belonged in the bottom 3 but I'm not as enamored with Brennley and Hunter as everyone else is. 

I have a soft spot for TSoul but I can see him going during the bloodbath. Same for Jesse, Aliyah and Vanessa.  

• Love 5

Vanessa went last! Was that the first time they changed the save order and Team Adam didn't go last?

Final Four predictions:

Lauren

Hunter

Brennly

Jesse or Chris

Don't love it, but I think that's the final four.

• Love 3

Mark was horrible in the instant-save.  Lilli and Vanessa were fairly even for me....decent vocals but pretty boring.  Pleased with the result as I like Vanessa's overall body of work much more.  

However, the change in the performance order was a pretty blatant production move that kind of leaves a sour taste.  Turns out it was unnecessary given the winning margin but the producers felt they needed to interfere.  Not a good look.  

3 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

However, the change in the performance order was a pretty blatant production move that kind of leaves a sour taste.

I hope they will change up the instant save performance order from now onwards. It's been unfair that Adam's team always gets to go last.

• Love 7

Ok, now next week is officially going to be brutal. I'd say Lauren and Chris (barring either of them having a disaster performance) are half of the final 4. I think TSoul and Vanessa's runs on the show come to an end. But that middle 4 (Jesse, Brennley, Hunter and Aliyah) I could make arguments for any of them. I'll say Jesse (I just think demographically, he fits the profile of the broader Voice voting audience better than Hunter) and Brennley will get the final two spots. If it ends up being Hunter and Aliyah it would only be the mildest of surprises in my eyes...

Maren Morris frustrates me. I love some of her songs (My Church is still awesome if overplayed and 90s Baby in my 80s Mercedes is catchy af). But when she sings live, it's like the verses have so little note differentiation it's like she just a-tonally talks them....and then it's really jarring when she gets to and fully sings the chorus.

The blatant switch up for Alicia (and Vanessa) was pretty side-eye worthy. I would have loved to seen Adam's honest reaction when he first got wind of that.

2 minutes ago, waving feather said:

I hope they will change up the instant save performance order from now onwards. It's been unfair that Adam's team always gets to go last.

I wouldn't mind a change if it's done randomly...computer-generated or what have you.  And it probably needs to be done in advance (like the morning of) so everyone knows the order ahead of time and everything can run as seamlessly as possible for the live show.  But tonight was so clearly not random.  Also they made the rule change in the middle of the season so...

• Love 1

But would leaving an already unfair rule ('Adam goes last') in place for the rest of the season be better? Weirdly if they wanted to get Mark out they could have still kept that rule and let Lilli have the last spot. I don't think they really care that much about saving Vanessa. 

I also think the set order is to provide stability. I'm doubtful that they changed that this afternoon once they knew the bottom 3 for this week.

While I'm here, yay Team Blake!

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

But would leaving an already unfair rule ('Adam goes last') in place for the rest of the season be better? Weirdly if they wanted to get Mark out they could have still kept that rule and let Lilli have the last spot. I don't think they really care that much about saving Vanessa. 

I also think the set order is to provide stability. I'm doubtful that they changed that this afternoon once they knew the bottom 3 for this week.

While I'm here, yay Team Blake!

Why do you think the producers changed the order for the first time ever?  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

Fans complained? Another coach complained? They realized they had a bad rule? Maybe they were just counting on Mark being in the save and decided they didn't want to give him the advantage again (that would be without knowing his opponents). 

Really though it shows they need to further tweak the process if going last is such a huge advantage. Instant recap in reverse order? Voting during the performances? The best thing going for the producers is that winning the save doesn't get you much. It's usually a ticket back to the same position the next week.

• Love 3
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

Not the first time they changed the rules.  Remember season six?  Wasn't even supposed to be a Twitter save in the semifinals, but they threw one in at the last minute, with barely any advanced warning, just to push Christina Grimmie (RIP) through (likely so Adam could have an artist in the finale).  Now, that was probably way more blatant than this one.

So I'm not angry about this rule change on the fly, since the show's done it before.  And this one's a much more fitting one, IMO.

Edited by Nalan
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Fans complained? Another coach complained? They realized they had a bad rule? Maybe they were just counting on Mark being in the save and decided they didn't want to give him the advantage again (that would be without knowing his opponents). 

Really though it shows they need to further tweak the process if going last is such a huge advantage. Instant recap in reverse order? Voting during the performances? The best thing going for the producers is that winning the save doesn't get you much. It's usually a ticket back to the same position the next week.

Right, so there was interference of some sort.  That's my point.  The instant save has been around for how many seasons?  If the producers believed it was such a huge advantage, you would think they would have changed the order at some point earlier.  

Two wrongs don't make a right.  I personally don't think performance order is that big a deal but I've mentioned in the past how I wouldn't mind the show doing it randomly.  (And frankly this board only brings it up when it seems to benefit Adam; it's rarely mentioned when his team is not involved in the instant saves).  However, assigning an order is even worse.  That's a deliberate decision on who to give an advantage.  And doing it in the middle of the season is kind of suspect.  Who knows?  Maybe another coach did complain.  It's okay to argue that a set process is unfair and that there should be changes.  But you don't correct it in this manner. 

8 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

And frankly this board only brings it up when it seems to benefit Adam

All things being fair, @Noreaster, you bring up anything that seems to hinder him.  Just saying.

And no, it was also complained about last season as a means to help Miley when Aaron Gibson kept getting saved, and he was the last to perform all three times he had to sing for his life.  So no, it's not just limited to Adam.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

Right, so there was interference of some sort.  That's my point.  The instant save has been around for how many seasons?  If the producers believed it was such a huge advantage, you would think they would have changed the order at some point earlier.  

Two wrongs don't make a right.  I personally don't think performance order is that big a deal but I've mentioned in the past how I wouldn't mind the show doing it randomly.  (And frankly this board only brings it up when it seems to benefit Adam; it's rarely mentioned when his team is not involved in the instant saves).  However, assigning an order is even worse.  That's a deliberate decision on who to give an advantage.  And doing it in the middle of the season is kind of suspect.  Who knows?  Maybe another coach did complain.  It's okay to argue that a set process is unfair and that there should be changes.  But you don't correct it in this manner. 

Without a change to voting procedure, I think the choice would be between a wrong and a wrong. It would be wrong to keep putting Team Adam last knowing that's an advantage. We've given him this advantage for years is not really an argument in favor of fairness.

Outside of the save already give advantages. I would much rather my favorite go late in the show. The edits, which coaches speak, there are so many opportunities to give advantages or disadvantages. I think it's much less bad if they changed the order not knowing exactly which 3 were at stake. As it is I don't think producers would really lose sleep over which artist got one more week. Vanessa will be lucky to have the opportunity to participate in the save next week. She's very likely to find herself eliminated without having that chance. 

I've said it before that my perspective is most manipulation is about putting on a good tv show more so than wanting to force a result.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Ok, now next week is officially going to be brutal. I'd say Lauren and Chris (barring either of them having a disaster performance) are half of the final 4. I think TSoul and Vanessa's runs on the show come to an end. But that middle 4 (Jesse, Brennley, Hunter and Aliyah) I could make arguments for any of them. I'll say Jesse (I just think demographically, he fits the profile of the broader Voice voting audience better than Hunter) and Brennley will get the final two spots. If it ends up being Hunter and Aliyah it would only be the mildest of surprises in my eyes...

Nah.  No way Aliyah gets through.  She's popular, but enough so to get by.  And I think you drastically underestimate Hunter's fanbase.  To be charting high on iTunes consistently even before the Lives started (and being the first contestant ever to do so) isn't exactly something to ignore.  I think he gets through for sure, along with Lauren.  Then, Chris and Brennley will fight for the last spot.

But TSoul and Vanessa are definitely out next week.  There's no way around it.

If Jesse, Brennley, and Aliyah are singing for the final save, Aliyah is definitely gone.  TPTB don't want her in the finale, I don't think.  So it comes down to whether they want Brennley or Jesse to get through.  If it's Jesse, Chris, and Aliyah, then I think Chris gets the final performance to ensure his survival.

5 hours ago, TiredMe said:

I'm happy. I adore tsoul. He comes on and I yell Tsoul! Lol 

LOL... My husband also loves TSoul. Call himself a Tsouldier. I just rolled my eyes :) 

• Love 3

Count me in as another T Soul fan. However, I think Lauren or Chris will win with Brennley or Hunter coming in third. I will be glad to hopefully see Jesse voted out next week. While he is a talented guitarist, I don't think he's a great singer. Adam is good at hyping him though. 

And kudos to Mark for having such a great attitude and a smile on his face throughout the show. Stephanie Rice's attitude was really bad during the instant save last week. It wasn't hard to tell how angry she was.....

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Nalan said:

All things being fair, @Noreaster, you bring up anything that seems to hinder him.  Just saying.

And no, it was also complained about last season as a means to help Miley when Aaron Gibson kept getting saved, and he was the last to perform all three times he had to sing for his life.  So no, it's not just limited to Adam.

Actually I don't. I welcome examples but you may be thinking of someone else.  Most of my comments about Adam are reactionary and talk about how I disagree with people's claims of favoritism, bussing, etc.  When people say similar things about the other coaches, I also react the same way.  

And no regarding Aaron Gibson.  Not on this board. Last season specifically, I was discussing the instant save results a few weeks into the live shows and brought up myself how no one had mentioned the performance order yet.  You can look that up if you like.  It was only the week when Adam's team landed in the bottom when people complained.  It was like deja vu to me.  Check the prior seasons...rarely a complaint until the one week that Adam's team landed in the bottom.  

6 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Without a change to voting procedure, I think the choice would be between a wrong and a wrong. It would be wrong to keep putting Team Adam last knowing that's an advantage. We've given him this advantage for years is not really an argument in favor of fairness.

Outside of the save already give advantages. I would much rather my favorite go late in the show. The edits, which coaches speak, there are so many opportunities to give advantages or disadvantages. I think it's much less bad if they changed the order not knowing exactly which 3 were at stake. As it is I don't think producers would really lose sleep over which artist got one more week. Vanessa will be lucky to have the opportunity to participate in the save next week. She's very likely to find herself eliminated without having that chance. 

I've said it before that my perspective is most manipulation is about putting on a good tv show more so than wanting to force a result.

My point is that it's obvious producers wanted to interfere with a set process at this juncture.  Whatever the reason, who knows. But as you said, it's likely not in interest of fairness. 

I also disagree that the producers didn't know who was at stake.  They know how the votes have been coming in each week and who was likely at risk even before the Monday night performances.  And they would also know how rehearsals were going.  We don't know when they decided on the rule change anyway... it could have been Tuesday after most/all of the results were in.  

I agree on your last point.  Producers care mainly about ratings and good TV.  I think quality performances make for good TV and that's why I always say I don't think the coaches deliberately bus anyone with song choices or choose fodder or whatever.  I think they just want to put on a good show.  No one wants the contestants to do poorly.  Also why I don't have a problem with the performance order for the main shows.  I think the producers set the order to be as entertaining as possible and that means going from generally weaker performances to stronger.  

For this impromptu instant save change, I can see an obvious reason why they would do it.  Vanessa is a much stronger contestant than either Lilli or Mark and we're more likely to get an entertaining performance out of her next week.  I like the result but don't like the blatant producer manipulation. The chair order used in the past could arguably be unfair but the one thing it's not is manipulative.  

57 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

My point is that it's obvious producers wanted to interfere with a set process at this juncture.  Whatever the reason, who knows. But as you said, it's likely not in interest of fairness. 

I said keeping the advantage with Adam bc he's always had that advantage is not in the interest of fairness. It was a bad set process.

I actually like the theory that this was about next week. The save next week is more important and this makes it less likely Jesse will automatically have that spot handed to him. 

I like the result but don't like the blatant producer manipulation. The chair order used in the past could arguably be unfair but the one thing it's not is manipulative.  

I think it is manipulative in that it changes voter preference. It was constantly manipulating the result in the same direction. Again I go back to them needing to alter the process so that it doesn't give such an advantage to whoever goes last.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TiredMe said:

I'm happy. I adore tsoul. He comes on and I yell Tsoul! Lol 

So do we!  I have no idea why, but we yell his name and clap every week when he's safe lol.  I know he'll be out next week, but I'm so happy for him that he made it this far.

I had never heard Maren Morris before and I'll be good with never hearing her again.  For me, she didn't even sound like someone good enough to get a chair turn on this show, let alone win an award.

I hope Chris wins it all, but if not, I'll be rooting for Lauren.

• Love 3

I'm surprised that Chris is considered a top runner. Hmmm......he hasn't fared well on I-tunes, has he?  I don't dislike him, but, think that Jesse might be there instead.  I'm not ruling anyone out yet though. 

Last night was a relief, though Mark didn't bother me that much. I was not a Lilli fan.  I kept asking myself why Adam selected them.  I've gone back and watched some of their performances.  

I adore TSoul and I am glad he is safe for another week. He won't survive the cut next week but at least the show has his positive energy for one more week.

My ideal top 4: Lauren, Vanessa, Aliyah and Jesse. 

But that's not going to happen. Both Hunter and Brennley will be in there somehow.

• Love 2

I'm thrilled about Tsoul being safe too :) I fist pumped when his name was called.

I thought Mark was atrocious on his save song, and I'm someone who has previously defended his ability. Just awful.

My absolute dream would be to see TSoul, Jesse, Hunter, and Vanessa in the top 4, just based on who I want to hear more from.

I think Chris Blue is dynamite to watch and listen to, but I don't know that I'd care about buying his record. Alicia hasn't done a good job in showing us what kind of artist he'd be after the show, other than someone who should be cast in Motown: The Musical. He's great at what he does, but he's basically just a retread of James Brown, Bruno Mars, Michael Jackson, Otis Redding, etc. Don't get me wrong, this is music that I love. But if you're going to take on this genre, then you have to have something fresh to offer.
Maybe he should try gospel? A more modern soul song? Would love to hear him on something slow, mellowed out, and without so many vocal tricks.

I'm surprised to see people saying that Jesse doesn't deserve to be here, when I think he's probably the most talented person left. I love soul music, but not really 'blue-eyed soul', so I wasn't immediately taken with him. But dang, the guy has serious vocal chops, can seriously shred, and I find his showmanship improving each week. Now he's one of my favorites, and I always stop what I'm doing when he's on. I just wish he'd do something similar to what Sundance did with No One last season - be more modern and relevant by reinventing a popular song.

• Love 2

I've always felt that the order of the save performances should be according to how many votes they got for the previous night's performances.  The person with the highest votes goes last.  I suspect the reason they don't do this is that they don't want to let us know who got the fewest votes.

While I think the final four should be Chris, Lauren, Brennley, and Hunter (in roughly that order), I suspect that Jesse may squeeze in somehow.  He best fits the kind of contestant tends to be most successful on this show.  I hope not, since I just don't think he's as good a vocalist as Chris, Lauren or Brennley, and he doesn't have the artistic vision of Hunter.

• Love 4

I'm not sure how much style influences votes, but, even though, I do think that Vanessa has a good voice.  I am distracted with her choice of clothes.  I think she's looked good a couple of times.  It's almost like she's gong for a youngster appearance.  I think she looks more serious as an artist without the hat.  And, I'm not impressed with the suspenders. I liked the blonde hair, but, then she covered it up with the hat again.  I know that Fredrichs wore a hat, but, it's just not my thing.  OH, there was another lady contestant who dressed a little like Vanessa in an early season. I can't recall her name.  She was pretty good.  She was in the top 10, but, I can't recall who's team she was on.  

• Love 1

@SunnyBeBe, you might be thinking of Michelle Chamuel from Team Usher.  Honestly, I enjoy Vanessa's style (as I did Michelle's) because it offers some variety from the endless parade of dresses/gowns that the other female contestants tend to sport.  Points also for wearing flat shoes.  Obvs, the contestants can and should wear what works best for them, so if someone loves dresses and heels, they should go for it.  It's nice, though, to see female contestants who reflect a different style, especially when most of the male contestants get away with dressing far more casually (and comfortably).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure how much style influences votes, but, even though, I do think that Vanessa has a good voice.  I am distracted with her choice of clothes.  I think she's looked good a couple of times.  It's almost like she's gong for a youngster appearance.  I think she looks more serious as an artist without the hat.  And, I'm not impressed with the suspenders. I liked the blonde hair, but, then she covered it up with the hat again.  I know that Fredrichs wore a hat, but, it's just not my thing.  OH, there was another lady contestant who dressed a little like Vanessa in an early season. I can't recall her name.  She was pretty good.  She was in the top 10, but, I can't recall who's team she was on.  

I know nothing of fashion, but I really like Vanessa's style.  I think it's somewhat unique and suits her well.  As for the hat, I've missed it when she hasn't worn it.  It was like she lost some of her mojo. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I have no issue with flat shoes or even pants, instead of the more fancy dresses, but, I just don't think what she's been wearing is flattering.  To each his own.  It reminds me of a 1980's Michael Jackson video.   I actually wish Vanessa well.  She's living in Durham, NC from what I gather, which is only a short trip down the road from me in Raleigh, NC.  I try to root for all contestants from my state.  A lot of them have done well on AI (McCreedy, Pickler, Fantasia, Daughtry, Caleb), but, so far, not on The Voice. For me, song choice is big and I hope she gets something good next week. 

Netlyon2, you are correct about Michelle.  That is the contestant that I was thinking about. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I just realized that out of the 8 remaining contestants, 4 are white and 4 are black.  Assuming itunes has been a decent reflection of overall votes this season, Lauren, Hunter, and Brennley will most likely advance. These three have consistently been the top 3.  As for the fourth spot, if it turns out to be Jesse, then we would see all 4 black contestants eliminated in one swoop.  Not the greatest look for the show, I would think.  

10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I actually wish Vanessa well.  She's living in Durham, NC from what I gather, which is only a short trip down the road from me in Raleigh, NC.

She lives in Greensboro.  She said so at her Blind.

3 hours ago, Noreaster said:

I just realized that out of the 8 remaining contestants, 4 are white and 4 are black.  Assuming itunes has been a decent reflection of overall votes this season, Lauren, Hunter, and Brennley will most likely advance. These three have consistently been the top 3.  As for the fourth spot, if it turns out to be Jesse, then we would see all 4 black contestants eliminated in one swoop.  Not the greatest look for the show, I would think.  

Four are white (Lauren, Brennley, Hunter, and Jesse), three are fully black (Chris, Vanessa, and TSoul), and one is half-black, half-Hispanic (Aliyah).  But your point still stands otherwise.  Not a good look for the show if Chris, Vanessa, TSoul, and Aliyah all go home in the bloodbath next week.