Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Voodoo in My Blood

After being summoned by the ancestors, Hayley and Klaus travel to the ancestral world and come face to face with Davina, Klaus' former foe and the one person who holds the secrets to The Hollow's demise. Meanwhile, old wounds are re-opened when Elijah and Marcel are forced into an uneasy alliance. Together, they meet with Alaric who has tracked down a crucial artifact that could help in their fight against The Hollow.

Promo:

Good episode... Wish we woulda got more Marcel and Elijah time so we could really sort out their issues... Great ending with Marcel speaking to davina... I always wondered if we will ever get to learn about Marcel's bio FAM I mean his dad was a slave owner.. But was he the last of the bloodline no other gerards?? And was his mother sold after he was born... Did she die because he was always shown alone... I hope they eventually give us a lil info about that... I'm super glad we got the origins of werewolves about time... We know  so far its Haley.. Tyler and two other families  the Del Robles are all dead leaving one left..  Wonder who it'll be... Keelin would be kinda on the nose so I'm not sure... 

• Love 1

Where was Vincent?? 

I smiled at Alaric's continued hatred of Klaus and when Alaric exploded his car to temporarily dispatch of Sofia. 

It was nice to see Davina again, too bad her plan to sacrifice Klaus failed. I may, MAY, have aw'd when Hope derailed the plan to save her father. Awww. But never do that again, young lady. LOL

• Love 2

See, you guys? Klaus has TOTALLY changed. See how he didn't threaten Alaric at all just because he was being a petty brat who thinks that Alaric is his personal errand boy? Oh, wait, he DID threaten to send monsters to Mystic Falls if Alaric didn't wait around until Elijah showed up to pick up the all important bone the Mikaelsons need. And then after everything Alaric did to help them, he couldn't just say thank you. He had to grudgingly say, "I guess I owe you thanks," in the bitchiest way possible.

And see how he didn't act like a dick to the harvest girls or Davina even though he needs their help? Oh, wait, he was totally a dick to them even though he needs them to defeat the hollow.

And notice how he told Hayley that the witches in New Orleans have hated his family for three centuries because he was a dick to them and killing them? Oh wait, he conveniently left out that last part because he loves to play the victim and act like everyone is attacking him FOR NO FUCKING REASON when it's actually his own fault for being a dick to them in the first place.

And see how he's no longer paranoid? Oh, wait, when Davina told him that she had sent Hayley to save them all, his response was, "Really? Or is this your idea of revenge, holding me captive here?" He refuses to believe that anyone else in the entire world would try to save New Orleans because he thinks that he is the only one who has the power and the plan to do whatever it is he wants to do.

Yup, fatherhood has totally changed Klaus. He has turned over a new leaf and become a new man because of his daughter. No killing inside the compound anymore! As long as you aren't slaughtering people with your bare hands in the same house where your kid plays, you're definitely a good dad.

And don't forget how he said Hope doesn't need friends because she will be powerful enough to defeat her enemies. Obviously she will be so powerful that she doesn't need any allies or friends or an emotional support system. Plus Klaus is going to be the best daddy ever by compelling any boy who isn't a perfect gentleman to become a priest. That isn't extreme or out of control!

I rolled my eyes when Elijah said he wanted to speak with Marcel privately so Sofya walked into the other room. There wasn't even a door between them and she is a vampire. Of course she heard every word they said! She didn't even have to use her vamp super hearing to do that.

Loved Alaric having his Inigo Montoya moment!

Klaus is as arrogant as ever. In a thousand years, he's never met anything he couldn't kill? Really? It took him a really long time to finally kill Mikael

Hee, when Davina said, "It all comes down to the bloodline. That's the only thing that works against [the Hollow]," I was having flashbacks to Buffy.

When Davina was describing the hollow (power hungry, likes to kill for fun, ruthless, loves making people afraid of her), I was wondering if Klaus recognized himself in that description.

It's hard to argue against Davina's logic - one death to save many. And hey, both Hayley and Klaus were okay with killing a bunch of people for their own selfish gains. Hayley was totally fine letting Klaus slaughter 12 hybrids from Tyler's new pack so that she could find out about her birth parents. Klaus killed just for fun many times over the years. But now that one of them has to die (and Klaus has lived over ten lifetimes, as Davina pointed out), suddenly life is oh so precious.

It was great to see Alaric again. I love how calm he is about everything. He blows his car up and he just asks a bickering Elijah and Marcel to drop him off at the ER.

I'm glad that Marcel and Davina got to see each other again, but I felt kind of bad for the actress that they brought her back just so she could regurgitate all this exposition about the werewolf origin story. Even more disappointing - poor Josh didn't get to see her!

Now they know that someone powerful has to die in order to get rid of the hollow, who is it going to be?

I really hope that Hayley sends Hope off to Alaric's new Hogwarts because I don't think that this show needs a child character, let alone one that's so almighty and powerful.

• Love 6

I despised Klaus on the Vampire Diaries, and that has never changed.  I still detest him, I wish Davina had got to kill him, and I believe Hope would be better off without Klaus in her life.

Interesting that werewolves, vampires, the Hollow, etc. were created because people/witches/shamans et al were screwing around with powers they didn't understand and couldn't control.  You would think at least one person would learn a lesson from that, but it never happens.

I do love Alaric's blasé attitude of I know you all are contemptible idiots and killers the world would be a better place without you in it here's the info to destroy the current evil thing which is possibly worse than you are bygones jackasses.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's hard to argue against Davina's logic - one death to save many. And hey, both Hayley and Klaus were okay with killing a bunch of people for their own selfish gains. Hayley was totally fine letting Klaus slaughter 12 hybrids from Tyler's new pack so that she could find out about her birth parents. Klaus killed just for fun many times over the years. But now that one of them has to die (and Klaus has lived over ten lifetimes, as Davina pointed out), suddenly life is oh so precious.

ALL OF THIS!!  I was shouting at the TV that if there had been any other person inside that circle besides a Mickaelson, none of them, Hayley included, would have hesitated.  They are all so full of shit.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

ALL OF THIS!!  I was shouting at the TV that if there had been any other person inside that circle besides a Mickaelson, none of them, Hayley included, would have hesitated.  They are all so full of shit.

Well I mean...they consider each other family so that makes sense? Freya and Elijah reneged on their deal to resurrect Davina in order to save Klaus/Hayley. Hayley was responsible for the death of 12 Hybrids to find out information about their family. Marcel made permanent enemies of the witches because of Davina. Elijah killed Marcel because he thought he was a threat. Elijah was even prepared to kill Klaus when he though Klaus had killed their siblings. FAMILY has always been the common factor between every single character on this show. It's been that way since the begining. The main theme of the show has always been how far people are willing to go for family. Except maybe Vincent. He was willing to go pretty dark for his family (summoning the Hollow) but couldn't go all the way because of the cost of it. This season seems to be dealing with the fallout of what happens when you go all in for family and screw over everyone else in the process.

And yes, Klaus was an ass, but Klaus has always been a smug a$$hole. Though, I would've thought Davina would've jumped at the chance to sacrifice Elijah in Klaus place. He was the one the ruined her chance to resurrect Kol (the first time) and was an accomplice in her sacrifice, and was the one willing to kill Marcel (Klaus still can't). But she's always had a hate boner for Klaus (understandable) that eclipsed her hatred of everyone else. Still don't understand how she thought Hope would ever be okay with it. And that's why I think Hayley was so anti-sacrificing Klaus. Because of Hope. 

It was nice to learn that Hope's super-witchiness didn't just come from her Mikaelson side. Hayley's ancestors were powerful witches at one point too...before they got cursed.

Also: 

"I will never forgive you."

"I never expected you to. I certainly never forgave myself."

• Love 1
21 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I always wondered if we will ever get to learn about Marcel's bio FAM I mean his dad was a slave owner.. But was he the last of the bloodline no other gerards?? And was his mother sold after he was born... Did she die because he was always shown alone...

Yeah, I'm very curious about Marcel's mother, too. You'd think she would have been the one raising him early on. Although on the other hand, I could understand if she had some trouble bonding with him, seeing as his father seemed like a total piece of shit and no doubt raped her. Anyway, hopefully we will find out more, since apparently bloodlines are a "thing" this season. It would also be interesting to know how long Marcel's family/bloodline has been in NOLA and whether he's related to any of the other werewolf or witch families around.

Speaking of, I actually liked the backstory on the werewolves -- and I like that Klaus being half-werewolf is apparently irrelevant since he's a descendant of an unrelated pack. Once again, though, I wish Ansel weren't dead. It would be interesting to hear his take on this story. I would think he would have heard about it as a myth or something.

It's kind of weird, but I actually liked the political aspect that the show had in the beginning, with different factions trying to govern together and ally together without ever actually assimilating with each other. So I would be interested to hear perspectives on the Hollow or even on the Crescents generally from a member (an elder statesman?) of a different pack.

9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When Davina was describing the hollow (power hungry, likes to kill for fun, ruthless, loves making people afraid of her), I was wondering if Klaus recognized himself in that description.

I don't know if Klaus did (does he really have enough self-awareness to recognize something like that?), but I think the audience was meant to!

I was thinking during the episode how interesting it is that the Big Bad this season is apparently existential angst and feeling empty inside. Interesting and so weird. I feel like they're pulling it off.

9 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

Interesting that werewolves, vampires, the Hollow, etc. were created because people/witches/shamans et al were screwing around with powers they didn't understand and couldn't control.  You would think at least one person would learn a lesson from that, but it never happens.

Oh yeah, everyone on this show always wants more more more. I kind of like how hungry the characters all are all the time. But yeah, it's definitely not the wisest way to go about life LOL

22 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I always wondered if we will ever get to learn about Marcel's bio FAM I mean his dad was a slave owner.. But was he the last of the bloodline no other gerards?? And was his mother sold after he was born... Did she die because he was always shown alone... I hope they eventually give us a lil info about that...

I believe they said Marcel's mom died giving birth to him. And given how slaves were treated like little more than cattle, it would make sense for him to never know if he had any other family (a grandmother, a grandfather, cousins, etc). One of the reasons my family is so hesitant to do ancestery.com is because we know once we go back far enough, there won't be much to learn. We already know my great great grandma was sold at a young age and by the time she was freed, she never found her mom or any other family. It's just the way it was.

• Love 1
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Gwen-Stacys said:

I believe they said Marcel's mom died giving birth to him. And given how slaves were treated like little more than cattle, it would make sense for him to never know if he had any other family (a grandmother, a grandfather, cousins, etc). One of the reasons my family is so hesitant to do ancestery.com is because we know once we go back far enough, there won't be much to learn. We already know my great great grandma was sold at a young age and by the time she was freed, she never found her mom or any other family. It's just the way it was.

Yeah, that's true. I was assuming that he'd have had relatives around -- aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, whoever -- but really, you're right that his mom could have come from anywhere, and he could have been her only child (so no descendants of the family around now, either). It would still be interesting to know more about her, or more about whoever took care of him when he was little, though -- what they were like, what happened to them or when Marcel lost touch, whether they have any descendants or notable ancestors that Marcel does/could know about, just generally what other connections that Marcel has to the city/people nowadays (connections aside from his connections with the Mikaelsons!). Even if the storyline were to end up being that Marcel decides not to really open that can of worms or that there's really nothing for him to find, honestly, I'd be interested in that, too.

Speaking of the diaspora, though -- I visited some plantations outside NOLA last year, and it really blew my mind, because it seemed like a lot of the people enslaved there were stuck there even long after emancipation. I don't mean stuck in the area, I mean stuck on the actual plantation. There was one plantation we went to where people were basically living in the same slave quarters as their ancestors had and were doing a lot of the same jobs even up until the 1970s. Another place we went, the overseer (heir to the plantation) had children with all three of the enslaved women that were his mother's personal maids (and had no children with his wife -- the children he had with his mother's slaves were the only children he ever had). Those children didn't really seem to get special treatment, but their names were things like Overseer Jr -- their parentage didn't seem to be hidden at all. Anyway, one of those children was deafened while he was fighting in the Civil War, and ended up coming "home" to the plantation because it was the only place he could find a job easily. He eventually earned pretty high up position (foreman? head of a team of trained craftsman? something like that), which is why he was one of the people featured in the history tour -- but in any case, he lived the rest of his life there. Anyway, I know this is incredibly naive, but I was really shocked by how trapped people were, not even really able to leave the plantation for decades, maybe even a century, after they were "freed." (Although thinking about it now, I think the Originals actually did do a scene about that, when Marcel goes to confront his dad about still having his slaves working for him after emancipation (and his dad maybe shoots him?)). Anyway, that's sort of neither here nor there, just thought it was interesting.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 2

I hope they dive into it.. I'm sure there is somebody from his father's bloodline still alive they had money and land.. His mothers people make more sense especially if she was already dead by the time Klaus et al showed up... Because if a bunch of white vampires show up and say leave... You do it... But I think its a thread that hasn't been pulled yet and as we will be getting another season id say its time every other major character in the TVD/TO universe has a family history thats been touched upon... I know with black characters its a bit trickier especially given the area but I think they can do it... Also Marcel told hope hes know her mom since she was a baby... So I hope they expound on that cuz I don't really remember that at all... And as always... More Hope & Marcel

• Love 1
1 minute ago, UNOSEZ said:

I hope they dive into it.. I'm sure there is somebody from his father's bloodline still alive they had money and land.. His mothers people make more sense especially if she was already dead by the time Klaus et al showed up... Because if a bunch of white vampires show up and say leave... You do it... But I think its a thread that hasn't been pulled yet and as we will be getting another season id say its time every other major character in the TVD/TO universe has a family history thats been touched upon... I know with black characters its a bit trickier especially given the area but I think they can do it... Also Marcel told hope hes know her mom since she was a baby... So I hope they expound on that cuz I don't really remember that at all... And as always... More Hope & Marcel

After Hayley's parents died, Marcel was the one who saved her and brought her to Kieran.  Hayley's parents also had a good relationship with vampires, so Marcel probably saw Hayley a few times while mom and dad were alive.

I kind of wish they showed him saving Hayley during that flashback scene. It would have tied in well with what Marcel said.

Dear lord, did an 8 year old witch/werewolf/ vampire just save her daddy?  Wasn't this supposed to be the darker of the Vampire Diaries franchise? By the way how many more things can Hope be at this point.... ventriloquist maybe? 

While I think the  backstory of the Hollow is interesting, if we're going to delve into werewolf lore I wish they would have done so with Klaus's line.  Which I've had an interest in since season 2 of VD.

When Davina told Haley she is the one weakness of the Hollow I had to roll my eyes.... special snowflake here we come! 

I'm hoping with a season 5 renewal we do another time jump, I've pretty much had my fill of special babies and children. 

• Love 1

I was a little confused with the werewolf origin story.  Is that how all werewolves started, or just the packs that live in the New Orleans area?  Also, did the Hollow include "btw, you have to kill someone before the curse actually hits you" in her dying wish, or was that a fuck up on her part?

No Vincent and no Josh makes for a dull episode.  And I really dislike the actress playing Sofya.  She's possessed by an ancient malevolent spirit but her acting barely changed.

17 hours ago, GraceAnne said:

I'm hoping with a season 5 renewal we do another time jump, I've pretty much had my fill of special babies and children. 

Has it been renewed?  I find that surprising.  Friday night timeslot is where shows usually go to die.

1 hour ago, mac123x said:

I was a little confused with the werewolf origin story.  Is that how all werewolves started, or just the packs that live in the New Orleans area?  Also, did the Hollow include "btw, you have to kill someone before the curse actually hits you" in her dying wish, or was that a fuck up on her part?

I thought since they were killing her at that time, it was part of the curse.  They killed the Hollow so both them and their descendants would pay, and the curse/werewolf gene would be invoked anytime someone in their bloodline killed someone.  Of course, I won't be at all surprised if the werewolf mythology gets ret-conned a million times because that's what happened with the can't be a witch and a vampire, or can't be a witch and a werewolf, or the origin of the doppelganger, or so on and so forth.

• Love 2

Alaric' dick-ishness towards Klaus is a very consistent character trait for him. I approve! I'm glad we got to see him interact with someone new (Marcel) too. I was surprised he didn't tell Hope his daughters were Kid Witches too. Is that supposed to be a secret? Does Klaus know?

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, wonderchica05 said:

Alaric' dick-ishness towards Klaus is a very consistent character trait for him. I approve! I'm glad we got to see him interact with someone new (Marcel) too. I was surprised he didn't tell Hope his daughters were Kid Witches too. Is that supposed to be a secret? Does Klaus know?

If Klaus didn't already know (and I assume he already knew because you know he has probably had someone reporting to him about Caroline since he left Mystic Falls - how else would he have known to send her a letter after Stefan died?), he does now because Alaric told him that his daughters are thriving at the magic school.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, doram said:

It should be a secret. They aren't just ordinary witches, they're siphon witches and all that is left of a once-powerful coven. But, of course, this is TVD-verse where no one ever has a lick of sense. 

And most of the characters are incapable of keeping secrets (their own or anyone else's) for more than ten minutes. Keeping a secret in TVD-verse usually means talking about it loudly in the presence of people with both normal/human hearing and supernatural hearing (vampires, werewolves, etc) several times a day. 

On May 14, 2017 at 6:20 AM, UNOSEZ said:

Do we actually know hope is anything but a witch?... 

Isn't she also a vampire? Wasn't it Hope who turned Hayley when she was born? I wasn't aware a vampire could be made by anyone other than another vampire (except Esther, of course).

Can't believe Alaric didn't mention his kids' abilities to Hope. It would have dovetailed nicely with last week's convo when Klaus said Hope didn't need friends or school, plus as far as we know, Hope doesn't know any kids who are like her. I'm sad we didn't get to see that little face light up with interest about Josie and Lizzie.

On May 14, 2017 at 5:00 PM, mac123x said:

Has it been renewed?  I find that surprising.  Friday night timeslot is where shows usually go to die.

Yes, it was renewed in the last few days, but AFAIK, the CW hasn't announced a schedule yet.

Alaric went on a road trip with a car full of explosives and no part of me is surprised.

The gravity of what a single witch is capable of has never been more frightening -werewolves, the Other Side, vampires... plus Hope overpowering Davina & the Ancestors.

Any lingering issues I had with the Mikaelsons decision to 'sacrifice' Davina are gone. Davina's has always had an always&forever/family first attitude that rivaled the Mikaelsons and I'm  convinced she would have made the same decision having shown she would do anything for Marcel, Josh & Kol. As far as 'betraying' Marcel, Davina literally did the exact same thing when she was unapologetically willing to kill Klaus in order to resurrect Kol. And honestly they left a dead girl to the fate of her own Ancestors to face judgement for her actions plus the horror of sacrificing Davina was the destruction of her soul which didn't happen. It was brutal and horrifying and altogether unfair but I'd choose my sister's life over anyone else,  I think most people would and expecting immortality to change that is unrealistic.

Nothing is ever truly immortal - that's all that's been taught since Elijah and Klaus were introduced if not the start of TVD. All vampires/hyrbids including the Originals and Marcel can be killed as well as Silas and Cade so real immortality suddenly occurring would be an incredible disappointment.
On that note, we've seen numerous witches die and it's never done their mental stability any favors (with the arguable exception of Kol as Kaleb) until Davina. Her claims of not being interested in revenge and her commitment to defend her home are foreign, Davina's always loved her revenge and her record for caring about New Orleans as her home is rather spotty. I'm calling some form of bullshit though because there's no logic in killing Klaus when any vampire would be just as effective and a hell of a lot easier to kill except for revenge.
Also questionable logic is the confidence Hayley (or anyone) has in the protection being a New Orleans witch provides Hope. They've shown their willingness to sacrifice their own children repeatedly and have already demanded Hope as a sacrifice.

I felt for Klaus when Hope saved him, he's always taken such pride in his ability to protect his family even if it meant daggering his siblings and them hating him and the knowledge he was keeping his siblings and Hope safe was what Klaus held onto as Marcel's prisoner.

Elijah and Marcel made me realize how much I appreciate Klaus' character for his honesty as in a twisted way Klaus is actually the most honest character. He's paranoid, violent, manipulative and just generally a monster but he never bothers to pretend otherwise and next to Elijah's supposed nobility, Marcel's belief that having 'a thing' about kids excuses everything else, Hayley & Davina's individual self appointed moral superiority it's certainly a refreshing change.

• Love 1