Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Archer Dreamland: Sleepers Wake

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Krieger definitely knows how to keep himself alive. Badass.

Man, Cyril is not intimidating no matter what world he's in.

"What does one do with a twenty dollar bill? Buy a single orange?!" Shades of Lucille Bluth, right there. BTW, There was a $10,000 bill and Salmon P Chase was on it. Cuy's real, too, but I'm not interested in trying that delicious taboo. (And it was Poovey's food of choice this week)

Only this show can have Dutch (and other Dutch) emulate the T-800 ~60 years before Terminator is made, and then reference Carolyn Keene and The Red Skull in the span of 20 seconds.

• Love 3

Really, really fun episode again and I laughed out loud at Kreiger and the cat.

Not only was that an homage to Terminator 2 but it looked like Brando's character from The Wild Ones he stole from.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Krieger definitely knows how to keep himself alive. Badass.

Man, Cyril is not intimidating no matter what world he's in.

"What does one do with a twenty dollar bill? Buy a single orange?!" Shades of Lucille Bluth, right there. BTW, There was a $10,000 bill and Salmon P Chase was on it. Cuy's real, too, but I'm not interested in trying that delicious taboo. (And it was Poovey's food of choice this week)

Only this show can have Dutch (and other Dutch) emulate the T-800 ~60 years before Terminator is made, and then reference Carolyn Keene and The Red Skull in the span of 20 seconds.

The Terminator reference was the best reference made to current pop-cultural that this has done this season, so far. 

• Love 1

Are we halfway through this season? It's been interesting so far. And fun. We got to see Trinette again!

knew we'd get Dutch/Other Dutch! I'm thinking that was a thing before his appointment with Krieger.

And Archer got to hook up with Lana! Of course, he isn't a sex god like Sterling, so he disappointed yet again. At least Lama tried to get in on the fun, for all the good it did her.

(edited)

I really like the gag of Archer Monologuing what is going on while driving somewhere in his car only have camera pull back and find him actually talking to someone.  This time it's Trinette someone who has actually appeared in the regular seasons.  

The Terminator Bar scene was hilarious.

I thought it was interesting that both Archer and Lana are being written as equally incompetent.  But still obsessed with each other because well....why not.

Also fun gags Krieger and the cat and Poovey and the Chinese ladies in the apartment.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I so hoped Cecil double checked the satchel and we see that there was a blueberry muffin inside.

Barry/Dutch kicking the ass of the Marlon Brando expy and his goons was fantastic.  Him crashing into the billboard almost immediately after starting the motorcycle was the cherry on top.

Also, Trinette!!!!

Plus, the running gags with the hot dogs is ingenious.  Could have done without the roasted guinea pigs, though.  But Poovey eating them brought it right around to funny.

Still think Lana is up to something sinister despite what we saw.  Film noirs are notorious for these bait-and-switch scenes.

• Love 1

Cyril's setting his own pubes on fire is the best thing that has happened is 8 goddamn years!!!

The running hotdog gag is fabulously funny. And the cyborg cat, and the Dutch/Brando showdown, and Pam still hiding a dozen Chinese ladies in her apartment. This season is hitting all the high notes for me so far!

The only sour note so far is Cecil, who has crossed so far over the creepy line that I can't find anything he says funny. "Delicious; like all taboos", I was trying not to throw up in my mouth from the mental images that brought up. ?

Somehow he is way creepier even than Krieger, who is unapologetically a guy who thinks about licking his sleeping cats butt apparently.

Dutch doing a totally reasonable monologue whilst murdering/battering a bar full of hoodlums was solid gold. I am enjoying Barry more that I ever thought possible! 

• Love 2

My favorite part of this episode was the reference to 1943's I Walked With a Zombie "The zombie titular."

I really enjoyed Cecil and hope we see him again.

The flashback during the car chase/shootout at the end was beyond beautiful, visually, as was the shot of the Griffith Park Observatory.

(edited)
On 5/4/2017 at 6:48 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

Cyril's setting his own pubes on fire is the best thing that has happened is 8 goddamn years!!!

The running hotdog gag is fabulously funny. And the cyborg cat, and the Dutch/Brando showdown, and Pam still hiding a dozen Chinese ladies in her apartment. This season is hitting all the high notes for me so far!

The only sour note so far is Cecil, who has crossed so far over the creepy line that I can't find anything he says funny. "Delicious; like all taboos", I was trying not to throw up in my mouth from the mental images that brought up. ?

Somehow he is way creepier even than Krieger, who is unapologetically a guy who thinks about licking his sleeping cats butt apparently.

Dutch doing a totally reasonable monologue whilst murdering/battering a bar full of hoodlums was solid gold. I am enjoying Barry more that I ever thought possible! 

Oh, yes that was golden to see and I really loved it. 

I also like that they continued with the hot dog gag with the two morgue workers and I also like their little spiel as well. 

As with the Dutch, doing that "Hey Dutch. Hey, other Dutch" and also the "Hey Barry. Hey, other Barry." thing I never got nor really like. I guess it's there to prove that he is a bit off, to begin with, and also has a really big ego but I never really like but here it totally made sense. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 03/05/2017 at 10:43 PM, benteen said:

Not only was that an homage to Terminator 2 but it looked like Brando's character from The Wild Ones he stole from.

On top of that Dutch crashing was exactly like how Pee Wee Herman crashes in Pee Wee's Big  Adventure.

peewee-bike-crash-o.gif

I can't believe i just watched a show where a character referenced Terminator, Pee Wee and The Wild One pretty much all at once.

Also I love the running gag about how Poovey always reminds Cyril he lost his wife. Wonder if we will ever meet her.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

I would bet that Cyril's wife turns out to be Katya.

Good call I was trying to think if there were any other female characters we haven't seen. Plus Pam's line about how Archer screwed Cyril's wife's tits off takes on a whole other meaning.

I would love to see CrazyTits again.  I think she'd make a better ex-wife of Cyril than Katya…I'm still hoping Katya works for Len Trexler & we just haven't seen her yet.

I'm never a fan of Barry being a part of things. While the Terminator riff was amusing, I just feel like he's too much of a spoiler, in terms of the fun of the show. I prefer it when Archer is able to just rampage around like an untouchable douchebag.

This season really feels so different than all the previous ones, because it's predicated on how Archer sees the different people in his life. Or perhaps how Archer wishes they were. I love the running joke of Poovey being a guy, despite still being voiced by Amber Nash, and still having the same face. It just works, in a way that the coke addicted, skinny Pam never worked. Her repeatedly referencing Archer screwing Cyril's wife is great.

This version of Cheryl and Cecil is beautiful. They're both so fucking weird, with Cecil being a complete deviant as well. But lines like "what does one do with a twenty dollar bill, buy a single orange?" had me rolling.

Sometimes I think Cheryl is my favourite character in this show. She's just so funny, and Judy Greer's voice work is brilliant. Even when she's talking about her "nazi kidnap/rape fantasy" at the hands of the Red Skull.

Krieger: "I walked into a door... repeatedly."

Cheryl: "oh yeah, my mother used to do that." 

Yeesh.

Also,

Poovey: "Did you get him?"

Cyril: "No, I got somebody though."

Poovey: "Wow! Good policing!"

The hotdog thing, I think will just have the eventual payoff of Archer saying he really wants a hotdog, when he finally wakes up.

• Love 1

This season does fell different for all the reasons metioned some differences are better and some worse but maybe i would enjoy all of it more if i had waited for all 8 episodes at once since they have been just jumping right into this haha.

It all seems amazing classic archer while getting to add the layers that these new versions of the characters and time period allow them to add.

On 5/9/2017 at 0:36 PM, Doyounot said:

This season does fell different for all the reasons metioned some differences are better and some worse but maybe i would enjoy all of it more if i had waited for all 8 episodes at once since they have been just jumping right into this haha.

It all seems amazing classic archer while getting to add the layers that these new versions of the characters and time period allow them to add.

Yes, this season certainly feels fresh and different. But at the same time I can totally buy that these are our characters and that Archer does actually see them this way. Which just adds to how this whole season is shaping up to be- great. 

• Love 1