Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Steven and Justin's Story, Part 1

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Trees said:

I used to fool myself that watching this show was somehow better than watching other fake-scripted reality shows like Real Housewives, etc,

It did used to be better. Remember the very first season, where they only had four patients and each of them was followed for six years? We saw the ways that their lives improved, but we also saw that weight-loss wasn't a huge cure-all. We saw that they had ups and downs. We saw that after a few years, they went back to struggling to keep their weight down. We saw the strains on their relationships. It was reality TV, yes, but it was engaging and informative.

• Love 23

This episode reminds me of my all time favorite piece of television, an episode of NYPD Blue, called "A Box of Wendy".

This very strange guy is addicted to Coke and to piss him off , they keep offering him everything but Coke until he blows up.

They then tell him he can have his Coke if he tells the truth about murdering his sister.  The guy then adds that if they give him an extra 2 liter bottle he will tell them about an additional murder he committed.

In this case, its pepperoni pizza.   The father got out of an abuse charge with  pizza.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Supermom23 said:

When Steven wasn't answering his phone and Princess keyed into his apartment, was anyone else whispering "Please be dead... please be dead... please be dead"? 

No.  I was saying "I hope he's dead".

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, POPTARTIN said:

Lurker on many boards, first post.

With everything said about Dr.Now and shouldn't have let him be a patient, he is totally in this for the viewers and rating himself and saw nothing but viewers and ratings for him with this case.

I live in the Houston area and my mom works in healthcare, and has worked with Dr.Now. Shes on the admin side so sees all their licenses/lawsuits/reviews, gets their hospital privileges  and everything and he is no saint. He is known to only take the bigger people who should not have the surgery due to their risks. This show is such a cash cow for him. Many many people have died on the table and during his treatments than ever should, most due to they should have never even been close to the OR or the crazy diets he puts in place. He definitely has a reputation in Houston and the med center of what kind of doctor he is, how hard he is to work with and for, and generally just not a great person. I wouldn't let him touch my dog. 

Glad you posted.  That confirms a suspicion I had.  While googling his name last week, right up on page 1 of results was a legal document detailing his wife's lawsuit after their divorce, with many details.  It paints him as abusive to her and dishonest with money.  On these forums, he's the sweet and cuddly nice old doctor that you want to hug. 

This episode, combined with James and Nicole, combined with what I read in the legal document about how he treated his wife and cheated with money, shows a cruel and greedy person behind that facade.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, bubbly said:

I have a horrible feeling the only reason he isn't a sadistic serial killer is because he's too fat to sneak up on anyone and is too out of shape to dispose of a body by himself.  

Tee Hee Hee

• Love 3

I started watching this show basically out of curiosity and found it very helpful in keeping me on a healthful diet. Every week I'm caught up in so-and-so's story and am rooting for them. I want them to succeed, to overcome their problems and be well on their way to health and a better life by the end of the episode.

That being said, we've seen some real doozies, especially lately but Steven takes the cake, or should I say pizza.

I really don't care what happens to him. He can stuff himself until he explodes and I actually hope he does.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Trees said:

Glad you posted.  That confirms a suspicion I had.  While googling his name last week, right up on page 1 of results was a legal document detailing his wife's lawsuit after their divorce, with many details.  It paints him as abusive to her and dishonest with money.  On these forums, he's the sweet and cuddly nice old doctor that you want to hug. 

This episode, combined with James and Nicole, combined with what I read in the legal document about how he treated his wife and cheated with money, shows a cruel and greedy person behind that facade.

Thanks to Poptartin for posting too.

I am not at all shocked by any of this news.    Add in TLC , which is as low as you can go and its a perfect match.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, POPTARTIN said:

Lurker on many boards, first post.

With everything said about Dr.Now and shouldn't have let him be a patient, he is totally in this for the viewers and rating himself and saw nothing but viewers and ratings for him with this case.

I live in the Houston area and my mom works in healthcare, and has worked with Dr.Now. Shes on the admin side so sees all their licenses/lawsuits/reviews, gets their hospital privileges  and everything and he is no saint. He is known to only take the bigger people who should not have the surgery due to their risks. This show is such a cash cow for him. Many many people have died on the table and during his treatments than ever should, most due to they should have never even been close to the OR or the crazy diets he puts in place. He definitely has a reputation in Houston and the med center of what kind of doctor he is, how hard he is to work with and for, and generally just not a great person. I wouldn't let him touch my dog. 

Welcome and thank you for this post!  I am not surprised.  I would love to know how many died and understand that is not a statistic that google will produce.  I can tell by his bedside manner he is not a friendly man.  He seems stern, uncaring and severe. 

• Love 7

When the nurses didn't respond to his call button immediately, he threatened to call the police. Bedpan abuse? He would have made up all kinds of lies like he threatened to lie that his dad hit him.  There's just no rational reason for this behavior.  He's loving the attention.

I don't think he has fetal alcohol syndrome.  There's usually distinguishing facial features that he doesn't have.  If I'm not mistaken, there's a recent picture of him hugging his mother in one of those articles.  I just hope they don't make money off all this.  They've already used millions.  

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, bubbly said:

I'm not hard hearted, I think I'm a morally strong person,  but I felt things I've never experienced while watching this episode.   I went from disgust to actually feeling a kind of fear when he was shown.  I have a horrible feeling the only reason he isn't a sadistic serial killer is because he's too fat to sneak up on anyone and is too out of shape to dispose of a body by himself.   There's a primitive part of our brain that reacts before our conscious mind really realizes we're in danger and Steven triggered my primal fear instinct.  Heavy, heavy episode y'all. 

You are so right.  Please read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker.  It not only validates that icky feeling you get around a dangerous person, but explains why and how you might save your life by paying attention to it.  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56465.The_Gift_of_Fear

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Michael Stabosz said:

What facade?  Dr. Now never came off as particularly sweet or caring.  I find him firm and professional though, so I don't really care about his personality.  And I mean, at the end of the day, he is still providing a path to weight loss that a lot of the super obese can't get anywhere else.  He's changed lives.

I'm guilty of this too, like "loving it" when he says "Super!" 

The Facebook group about this show has a zillion women all swooning over him.

I'd feel better about him if he told TLC go to away and just kept helping patients. I think he's crossed over to wanting to be a doctor to loving his new status as celebrity.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Michael Stabosz said:

What facade?  Dr. Now never came off as particularly sweet or caring.  I find him firm and professional though, so I don't really care about his personality.  And I mean, at the end of the day, he is still providing a path to weight loss that a lot of the super obese can't get anywhere else.  He's changed lives.

On the other side, there are very valid reasons why most doctors will not operate on people over a certain weight. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Trees said:

The show fascinates me how they portray him to be exactly that, the sweet and cuddly doctor that just wants to help these people. He is far more than abusive, he is god awful to the nurses and hospital staff. He is to the point majority of the Houston hospitals won't allow him privileges. The hospital he was previously at University General filed for bankruptcy and has since closed - hence why it is at St. Lukes and he had a hell of a time finding somewhere and for some reason they allowed him privileges there. 

Not sure if anyone remembers from a season or two ago, Randy S that was around 650 and the Houston area, I know him personally and have a little more insight to how the whole show operates and works anyway.  (him for reference to refresh anyone's mind http://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/randy-my-600-lb-life-128873/photos/randy-600-lb-life-8-242823) Knowing him irl and what about Dr.Now would completely change any opinion on this show. 

10 minutes ago, Michael Stabosz said:

He is definitely not professional.

Edited to not out myself too much if anyone saw this and could cause problems 

Edited by POPTARTIN
  • Love 7
Just now, POPTARTIN said:

Not sure if anyone remembers from a season or two ago, Randy S that was around 650 and the Houston area, that is actually my sister's half brother and have a little more insight to how the whole show operates and works anyway.  (him for reference to refresh anyone's mind http://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/randy-my-600-lb-life-128873/photos/randy-600-lb-life-8-242823) Knowing him irl and what about Dr.Now would completely change any opinion on this show. 

I'd love to hear about it.  There are so many myths about how things work.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Welcome and thank you for this post!  I am not surprised.  I would love to know how many died and understand that is not a statistic that google will produce.  I can tell by his bedside manner he is not a friendly man.  He seems stern, uncaring and severe. 

THanks! I can try and talk to my mom a little more and get some statistics. I dont think she can give exact numbers without putting her own job at risks, but she def has tons and tons of info on this man.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Trees said:

I'd love to hear about it.  There are so many myths about how things work.

of course! I'm about to head to a lunch meeting at work, and can answer any questions to the best of my abilities from what I know about Randy and shis tory as well as Dr.Now! 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I'm not sure I disagree with him being stern and severe. At least in a lot of cases we see, these people are serious food addicts, living in delusion, and surrounded by enablers and a soft touch just ain't gonna cut it with them. He needs to be stern. I've worked with and dealt with addicts a good bit and you've got to lay hard boundaries and deal in firm truths - do you need to be an asshole? No, but what I've seen from him in being pretty stark about reality and handling both the patient and the enablers in their lives has been pretty fair in my opinion. Take this guy, Steven, for example. There is no soft and kindness dealing with him. He will manipulate the hell out of that. Now, how he deals with his staff is not really shown and another story altogether...no idea on that end.

And I quite agree to the point that some of these surgeries shouldn't be performed. That's why these people are coming to him - other doctors won't do it because of the risk and he's the only one who will take on the risk of operating on someone so heavy. I haven't seen the diets but the calorie limits they've said haven't been crazy unreasonable for people of that size when medically supervised. But that doesn't mean there aren't some that have been insane...I don't know. 

Edited by scoopski potata
Surgeries are performed, not formed previously
  • Love 11

Steven Jr is terrible but James K still was worse to me. 

I am always surprised by the lack of backbone from these parents. Is it because of guilt? because they know that they screwed up during the childhood of their child/children? I am 42 but when I am with my mom and do something rude or unacceptable, she still calls me out on it. I only heard Steven Sr. say something to that regard was when he told Steven to stop chewing his gum like a cow. Why oh why isn't he telling Justin to find a job, get out of the house, stop leeching off of him and stop behaving like an 8 year old?
Why didn't he tell Justin to look Dr.Now in the eye when he came in. Why didn't he tell him that it's rude to stay on the phone when the Doctor talks to you?

Why doesn't he hang up the phone when Steven Jr. keeps calling him? Why doesn't he tell Steven Jr. to get his act together and tell him that his behavior towards the staff is unacceptable? If I would have done that and Dr.Now would have called my mom or dad to come over to get me, I would (even at my age) be hiding under the bed because I would fear my mom/dad showing up and giving me an earful. I always see zero respect from the people on the show to anyone around them. And they all seem entitled, egotistic and manipulative which makes most of these people very unlikable. 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, POPTARTIN said:

The show fascinates me how they portray him to be exactly that, the sweet and cuddly doctor that just wants to help these people. He is far more than abusive, he is god awful to the nurses and hospital staff. He is to the point majority of the Houston hospitals won't allow him privileges. The hospital he was previously at University General filed for bankruptcy and has since closed - hence why it is at St. Lukes and he had a hell of a time finding somewhere and for some reason they allowed him privileges there. 

Not sure if anyone remembers from a season or two ago, Randy S that was around 650 and the Houston area, that is actually my sister's half brother and have a little more insight to how the whole show operates and works anyway.  (him for reference to refresh anyone's mind http://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/randy-my-600-lb-life-128873/photos/randy-600-lb-life-8-242823) Knowing him irl and what about Dr.Now would completely change any opinion on this show. 

He is definitely now professional.

Please tell us everything you know!  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, meow-mah-leg said:

I am always surprised by the lack of backbone from these parents. Is it because of guilt? because they know that they screwed up during the childhood of their child/children? I am 42 but when I am with my mom and do something rude or unacceptable, she still calls me out on it. I only heard Steven Sr. say something to that regard was when he told Steven to stop chewing his gum like a cow. Why oh why isn't he telling Justin to find a job, get out of the house, stop leeching off of him and stop behaving like an 8 year old?
Why didn't he tell Justin to look Dr.Now in the eye when he came in. Why didn't he tell him that it's rude to stay on the phone when the Doctor talks to you?

Why doesn't he hang up the phone when Steven Jr. keeps calling him? Why doesn't he tell Steven Jr. to get his act together and tell him that his behavior towards the staff is unacceptable? If I would have done that and Dr.Now would have called my mom or dad to come over to get me, I would (even at my age) be hiding under the bed because I would fear my mom/dad showing up and giving me an earful. I always see zero respect from the people on the show to anyone around them. And they all seem entitled, egotistic and manipulative which makes most of these people very unlikable. 

Co-dependency.

Steven needs to be fat. 
Justin needs to be a baby. 
The dad needs to be a caretaker to both.

It's a toxic cycle.  They're all getting something out of the relationship and they reinforce each other with every conversation, every pizza, every screaming phonecall.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, meow-mah-leg said:

Agreed. Steven seems to be a sociopath on the verge of batshit crazy--major problems going on upstairs.

James K is just a big, mean selfish asshole. 

• Love 8
Just now, meow-mah-leg said:

It annoyed me when Steven got out of the hospital and got a pizza. Dad says: "can I have a slice? I haven't eaten since 6 this morning". And Steven says "no". WTF do you mean NO? you selfish piece of shit! 

I would have snatched that pizza box off him and left. 

• Love 24

Add my assessment that this was like James episode on acid!  Somebody wanna do the math on this?  Before Houston he'd been living in   two different hospitals, both of which he'd been kicked out of. Then he's whisked away to Texas in a rather comfy looking medical RV. Who the heck was paying for all this? James couldn't get his insurance to pay for an ambulance to transport him, even when Dr. Now said it was a matter of life or death.

Re the RV. When Steve's bed broke, they put cinder blocks under to prop it up. The floor was already bending and they put more weight in there?

Had an irresistible urge to slap those tablets and phones out of the brothers' hands.  

I felt some sympathy for Justin. He seemed really beaten down and almost afraid of his brother. Bet theres been some almost criminal bullying there.

Hooray for Dr. Now standing his ground. "Ill drop you off at a homeless shelter…"  Hee!

Let me get this straight. Steve called his father in Rhode Island to order him a pizza in Texas? 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Michael Stabosz said:

I couldn't agree more.  It used to be about watching people, their lives heavily damaged by addiction, turning things around.  I liked that show.  Now it's ordinary reality show trash, thriving on conflict, like everything else TLC airs.

See, I'm not entirely sure I agree. It's definitely a horrorshow, but I'm okay with that if they show us how people can deal with it/over come it - especially the family members who are at the mercy of real monsters like Steven.

For most of us who lead relatively normal lives, it's hard to believe that there are families who live like this one or like James's family. But they do. I don't blame TLC for showing this; they didn't create it and I think we are only seeing what's in front of the camera. I don't think they're making it look any worse than it is and indeed, it may be even worse than this.

Families can and do blackmail each other and hold each other hostage. Addicts are horrific for this. If this kind of show is what it takes to truly get across the torment and suffering that families go through from drug addicts - including and especially prescription drug addicts like Steven - then I'm all for it.

Maybe something finally will be done.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Hahaha--I'm from Boston! I understood them perfectly!  Steven Sr. sounded like probably everyone I ever knew as a kid.

Princess was a bright spot. Her side eye was EPIC. No one gets the better of Princess. I love her and want to be president of her fan club.

Yes I think that is very likely. Justin hates his brother. Steven may only be able to verbally abuse him now, but he relies on intimidation and control. I'm sure Justin remembers their childhood when Steven could also overpower him physically. 

Steven loves being naked because he loves to shock. He loves to keep people off balance. He loves to be huge--it makes him physically intimidating. He loves to scare people by yelling, then he turns on the tears to evoke their pity. He went to Justin because he knew that if he was in the room he could control the situation and Justin's response. Justin's only defense is to stay away from him. *To me the creepiest moment was when, after Dr. Now washed his hands of him and prepared to leave the room, Steven said "can I have a handshake?" all plaintive and fawning. His smile when Dr. Now came to him and shook his hand gave me the shudders. He got Dr. Now to do something. He thinks he the king of persuasion and manipulation.*

He and his brother both have those dead fish handshakes. Gave me the creeps.

*To me the creepiest moment was when, after Dr. Now washed his hands of him and prepared to leave the room, Steven said "can I have a handshake?" all plaintive and fawning. His smile when Dr. Now came to him and shook his hand gave me the shudders. He got Dr. Now to do something. He thinks he the king of persuasion and manipulation.*

Yes!  I picked up on that too but forgot to mention it!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

Should we ask them about their eating habit?     :)       

I did notice last night - I think it was when Dr. Now saw Steven in his office after the 83-pound weight gain - Dr. Now did say "eating habitz." Maybe he's reading this board! Hey, Dr. Now, if you're willing to take on a beast like Steven, you can talk any way you want!

• Love 7

I don't understand how psycho Steven was able to scam so many doctors/hospitals out of pain meds. The DEA has cracked down so tightly on prescription opiates and there is a database for every prescription written. Houston must be way behind the times as far as doctor shopping goes and must not even check when someone demands pain meds. A couple years ago, my husband wound up in the ER for an about to rupture appendix. Before they even offered him anything for pain, they checked the database to see if he was getting pain meds from any doctor and if he'd been red flagged for doctor shopping and/or drug seeking behavior. If an ER does prescribe pain meds for someone, it's only for a few pills to tide them over until they can see their own doctor. And, if the pain is from an infection (like a toothache or Steven's legs) an antibiotic is prescribed. The prescription is written to say the patient cannot just have the pain meds filled. They MUST fill both the antibiotics and the pain meds.  

• Love 5

It's been a long while since I have posted about an episode, although I enjoy reading the episode threads here and there.

This episode was really infuriating to me.

The father needs a detective to help him find his missing backbone. Steven needs some major therapy.

For most of us who lead relatively normal lives, it's hard to believe that there are families who live like this one or like James's family. But they do. I don't blame TLC for showing this; they didn't create it and I think we are only seeing what's in front of the camera. I don't think they're making it look any worse than it is and indeed, it may be even worse than this.

ITA. There are major fucked up families in this world, and this was just one family who happened to cross our paths via our television. Addiction is ugly and comes in varying degrees. The same holds for families.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

This episode reminds me of my all time favorite piece of television, an episode of NYPD Blue, called "A Box of Wendy".

This very strange guy is addicted to Coke and to piss him off , they keep offering him everything but Coke until he blows up.

They then tell him he can have his Coke if he tells the truth about murdering his sister.  The guy then adds that if they give him an extra 2 liter bottle he will tell them about an additional murder he committed.

In this case, its pepperoni pizza.   The father got out of an abuse charge with  pizza.

Right?!  The whole experience of watching this episode was so wth, wasn't it?  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I have just started this episode but can fetal alcohol syndrome cause this behavior? There is something REALLY wrong with Steven, and I think maybe FAS, since their mother is such a raging alcoholic. But I don't know much about it. Perhaps I will do some Googling.

That was my very first post on the live chat, just a few minutes in - are we looking at FAS in an adult?

From http://www.nofas.org/adults-living-with-fasd/

"As individuals with FASD enter adulthood, they and their family members and caregivers face additional challenges. Adults are increasingly vulnerable to the secondary disabilities associated with FASD such as trouble with the law, mental health problems, an inability to live independently, and victimization. Adults are more likely to be unemployed and often struggle to manage the money in their possession. While a proper diagnosis, access to the best interventions, and a positive environment are beneficial, they often do not prevent secondary disabilities."

and from WebMD:

Usually, FAS is diagnosed only when a child has the following major clinical manifestations, or signs:

Growth retardation.

Characteristic facial features, such as: Small eyes with drooping upper lids. Short, upturned nose. Flattened cheeks. ...

Central nervous system problems, including: Mental retardation. Hyperactivity.

and from Healthline:

Since fetal alcohol syndrome covers a wide range of problems, there are many possible symptoms. The severity of these symptoms ranges from mild to severe, and can include:

a small head

a smooth ridge between the upper lip and nose, small and wide-set eyes, a very thin upper lip, or other abnormal facial features

below average height and weight

hyperactivity

lack of focus

poor coordination

delayed development and problems in thinking, speech, movement, and social skills

poor judgment

problems seeing or hearing

learning disabilities

intellectual disability

heart problems

kidney defects and abnormalities

deformed limbs or fingers

mood swings

• Love 5

A long time ago, I rescued a pair of young feral kittens. After about a day, one of them started showing signs of illness, so I prepared to take them to the vet. By the time we got to the vet a few hours later, the other one was sick too. The first to become ill had a fever of 107. The second had 105-point-eight. Sadly, the first one died. But the second one lived, and is now a happy, healthy cat. The second one wouldn't have survived, if not for the first one deteriorating just a little bit ahead of her. I hate to compare these beautiful kitties to the train wreck we just watched, but I'm kind of hoping it plays out the same way. I don't hate Stephen, but I'm afraid he is unsalvageable. Even if he could be magically transformed overnight to a fit 200 pounds, his personality is such that he would still bring misery to himself and those around him. But Justin . . . my heart kind of broke for him. Yes, he's a stunted man-child -- what else could he be, given that family dynamic? So shut-down, it was hard to watch how hard it was for him to even look at other people. If Stephen continues to fail dramatically, that might give Justin the push he needs to accept help that he would never have the initiative to seek out on his own. Stephen's death might prompt Justin to realize that the world isn't such an awful place, when Stephen is no longer in it. Might be a kind of cosmic justice if Stephen, who arguably played a huge role in damaging Justin, inadvertently led to his salvation. 

I did like how Dr. Now dealt with Justin. He wasn't put off by the rudeness/social anxiety; he went out of his way to talk to Justin like he was an adult, even when Justin acted like a child. He didn't pressure him, but he let him know what was available. We might reasonably ask why Dr. Now was willing to muck about with this awful family, even questioning the ethics of doing so. Perhaps his motives were a mix of sordid and noble: Stephen pulls in the ratings, and maybe (just maybe) he can radically improve Justin's life.

• Love 18

I only watched this show because my wife DVR'ed it so I'm not much of an expert, only see it couple of times. Like everyone else I was shocked and appalled at this guys behavior. I went on his Facebook page and hes posted a video thanking all his"fans" for their support. Looks like it was taped in a hospital room so after over a year, he has still not lost any weight and is back in some facility. Im not much up on this Dr. Now, but he seems to be the last resort for people on the way to the morgue, so although he might not be perfect......at least someone is trying to help these people. The thing that got to be was the younger brother. This poor guy has basically been tortured by his older brother all his life, and that is the real tragic part of this story. Stephen may be a lost cause, but his brother Jason is not and some of the comments seem to lack any empathy for him. This guy does have problems, some of his own making, im sure. But he has grown up in a toxic stew of addiction, neglect and abuse. Yet he built himself a workshop in his basement, with little more that some scrap wood and meticulously builds his models and keeps his little work area neat and tidy. If he could get some help, get his weight down, get his life on track this is a guy who could put those skills to work and have a great life. 

As far as Stephen, he played TLC, the doctors, nurses, his Facebook "fans" and anyone and everyone. You may wish him death, but he is a human being. If you judge him unworthy of help and compassion, that is a very slippery slope to go down. I too am shocked at the amount of tax money spent on this guy, which may all be for nothing......the last expense will be a trip to the country morgue and the crematorium. But we cant lose sight that most of these people Ive seen on this show need and use the help they are given. It is their only chance and they deserve our compassion and empathy, even a monster like Stephen.

• Love 12

I don't understand the father ordering him pizza from a thousand miles away. What does he think Steven is there for?  He thinks that Steven will kill himself if he doesn't order the pizza- that is how far these people go to manipulate. If the kid (kid!) dies he will feel guilty. But really he should feel guilty for not parenting this guy - never giving limits, always giving in to him. I loved how Dr. Na did not give in and kicked him out of the hospital. Those poor nurses- they are not there to wait on him hand and foot. The whole thing is a nightmare. 

• Love 8

I am feeling like I shouldn't watch this show anymore. I am not seeing how anyone is learning anything or making any real changes in their life. Putting a food addict in an apartment with no stimulation or reason to live is going to guarantee they won't lose weight. I'm not saying I know what the answer is-I do know that a person sitting around mostly alone 24/7 is going to keep eating. I also. Have suspected for awhile that many scenes on the show are scripted. Steven was in the in the hospital for many months and only became abusive and pushed the call button towards the end. Why? What happened the last month that didn't happen the first few?

It also seemed obvious to me to Steven and his brother had developmental and mental issues. Justin acted like a child, complete with playing with toys and making no effort to support himself, lose weight, make friends etc. I guess the father was either paid to play the part of the patsy on the show, or is trying to make up for something that happened in the guys childhood or both.

Finally, I have a huge problem with fat shaming because it always translates to people believing that everyone who is fat is lazy, being supported by taxpayers, could easily lose tons of weight by doing xyz, and making fun of their body parts especially things like lymphatic disorders which can be extremely painful and dangerous.  I am not talking about anyone here in particular-I am talking about the show. Dr. Now is less interested in helping the Assanti brothers than he is in getting good ratings. I honestly believe the show started out by showing us some journeys to healthier living and is now just a show presenting the worst fat people they can find, knowing full well that they will not succeed. The goal of the show is to present a modern day freak show.

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

She shouldn't be telling tales. I imagine some of what she sees is confidential. Maybe she should keep it that way.

As long as no names are used confidentiality isn't technically breached. Doctors and nurses talk amongst ourselves all the time because we're human.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Trees said:

So, what has happened between Dr Now and his son? 

In don't think we know that anything happened between them.  The son just might have moved on to a bigger and better opportunity.

Curious; would it be possible for a nurse to bring Steven a bucket with hot water, soap and a rag and tell him to clean up his own spilled piss? I really don't understand why a nurse should have to do this. This is not her job. 

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, bubbly said:

As long as no names are used confidentiality isn't technically breached. Doctors and nurses talk amongst ourselves all the time because we're human.

No names or any identifying factors (which I'm not saying this person has provided, I'm just clarifying that anything that could be used to identify the patient, not just the name, is technically arguable as a violation). If doctors and nurses are breaching confidentiality about patients to other drs and nurses who aren't authorized to know info about said patients...not really legal. It happens, but it's a HIPAA violation. Just to be clear. 

• Love 9