Type keyword(s) to search

Makeovers: Peed-On-Snow Blonde, Jacked-Up Weaves, and "Circa 1992" Hair

Thanks for starting this thread.  I should have thought of it before.  I am going to shorten the title, though, just to make it easier to read.  

Oh, and thanks for the "peed-on-snow blonde."  I'm not going to be able to get that image out of my head for a good while, thanks.

While I generally subscribe to the "eh, it's hair, it will grow back" school, I do think Tyra has given up (if she ever did it in the first place) really analyzing how each girl would look best and instead leans towards the shocking, can we get this girl to cry? makeovers too often.

Makeovers that stand out in my mind (not for a good reason):

Elina (C11):  I wonder how much Tyra would like it if someone made her get an itchy, Ronald McDonald-like weave?  (Or, am I confusing her with Brittany from Cycle 8 -- who, IIRC, also got a super itchy weave?)

Speaking of itchy weaves, I felt bad for Molly (C16) with that awful yellow frizzy weave they gave her.

Chelsey (C15):  This was -- I think -- the biggest travesty of all the ANTM makeovers.  Increasing the gap in her teeth just because that happened to be "in style" that very minute.  Ugh, I can't believe even Tyra would suggest that -- and, of course, the models are completely looked down on if they don't go along happily with whatever crazy makeover idea Tyra comes up with.  I had to look up Chelsey's name because I couldn't remember it off the top of my head and I ran across this blog from the Jezebel site, which pretty much sums it up perfectly: 

On last night's episode of America's Next Top Model, the girls received their makeovers, with Tyra ordering dental work for one contestant—to widen the gap in her two front teeth—to make her appear more like Lauren Hutton.

This, of course, is keeping in the tradition of ANTM, in which advice, instruction, and definitions of beauty are arbitrary, contrary, and totally confusing. (In Cycle 6, Tyra ordered one contestant—Danielle, who went on to win the competition—to have the natural gap in her teeth less prominent.)

Tyra gave up years ago on actually providing makeovers that made sense.  Don't forget her giving Jael a weave when her hair wasn't that long to begin with only to turn around have it cut out and shorten Jael's hair even more.

For the most part, Tyra has left the hair of the winner alone for the most part which just has always made me suspect she's had her winner in mind from the start (unless the girl totally imploded).

In the first couple of cycles, she was more reasonable but then she just said "Screw it," and went for the shock value of it (which describes the overall tone of the show as well).  The first couple of cycles she was doing stuff makeover-wise and photoshoot-wise that coincided more with real modeling.  Then she decided she'd just play to the reality showness of it and all of that went out the window.  Looking at  some of the makeovers for this upcoming C21 cycle she's still up to her same old tricks.  Everytime someone from this ends up getting signed the agency almost always has them get their hair done over immediately.  But considering Tyra barely picks people who even have a legitimate shot at modeling is it any wonder that she jacks up their hair as well?

Edited by milkyaqua
Tyra gave up years ago on actually providing makeovers that made sense.  Don't forget her giving Jael a weave when her hair wasn't that long to begin with only to turn around have it cut out and shorten Jael's hair even more.

Or when she took C4 Michelle from near-black to yellow in one sitting trying to recreate the C3 Amanda. Poor thing ended up with open sores on her scalp.

I would love it if the models were delivered to a top stylist and he/she decided what kind of makeover would look best.  Or, if someone from an actual agency made the call on what, if anything, needed to be changed.  I mean, I know it would never ever happen that way on ANTM because there probably would be very little, if any, drama, but it would be nice. 

I forgot about Michelle -- you're right, that was horrible.  (It didn't help that she later got that contagious skin disease and literally had sores on her face also...)

I generally think longer hair works better on most (not all) models just because it's a little more versatile.  So I feel bad for some of models that have received really short haircuts -- especially those that didn't want them.  Like Bianca (C9) (who was supposed to get a long, blonde weave(!), IIRC, and they ended up making her bald instead) or Brenda (C14) or Jaeda (C7).

Once again, I had to research names and I came across this:  http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/americas-next-top-model/before-amp-laughter-20-of-the-worst-americas-next-top-model-makeovers-ever-85421.aspx

• Love 1

I agree that longer hair is usually more versatile. In my opinion, the only girl to really rock the bald was Nnenna. A few more managed to look decent with short hair, but not all of them. Tyra, good bone structure does not mean you have to chop someone's hair off entirely.

Who was the British girl with the pink hair? I think she won her season, and I thought she looked beautiful in that color, though it would have been beyond ridiculous to keep it past the filming of the show. 

I was just laying in the bathtub while watching a repeat from the last cycle where they decided to trim Phil's beard.  He is so commercial when he's a little closer to clean-cut, and a real stylist/real agency would see his potential.  I believe that the reason he doesn't get the sort of work a "top model" would get (or much work at all) is because he's too tall: a fact that never came up during his entire season.

What I dislike more than the actual dye/bleach job itself, is the fact that they don't maintain the roots.  Some of these girls are looking like meth users by the end - especially since they're so thin to begin with.

• Love 1

I think one of the most WTF makeovers (and probably most WTF contestant to me) was that girl that was a wrestler and got the flesh-eating disease on her face during her season - Michelle? They gave her that awful yellow-blonde dye job. I thought she was the most bizarre contestant. Some of her pictures were okay (hell, most people can take a good picture or two out of 100 or whatever), but she wasn't attractive and not even in that model-y weird looking way. I just did NOT see what Tyra saw in her at all.

Remember c5 Ebony? The one they gave the braids? I have seen a lot of models, and not once have I seen any with long braids like that. It didn't help that she was one of the more, er, unattractive girls that year, and the braids just made it worse.

My all-time favorite makeover is the "Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby". It never ceases to make me LOL when I hear Tyra say that during an episode. More hamsters need to get the "Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby" haircut. Coming in a close second is the Tootie. I wish Tyra had prescribed the Tootie to more hamsters for their makeovers besides Saleisha. imagine Whitney with the Tootie! 3rd would be the clip-on ponytail that Krista received. Talk about being cheap!

• Love 2

My all-time favorite makeover is the "Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby". It never ceases to make me LOL when I hear Tyra say that during an episode.

Not to mention, that haircut allegedly cost Farrow her marriage to Frank Sinatra.  Wonder if Tyra knows THAT?

I think one of the most WTF makeovers (and probably most WTF contestant to me) was that girl that was a wrestler and got the flesh-eating disease on her face during her season - Michelle? They gave her that awful yellow-blonde dye job. I thought she was the most bizarre contestant. Some of her pictures were okay (hell, most people can take a good picture or two out of 100 or whatever), but she wasn't attractive and not even in that model-y weird looking way. I just did NOT see what Tyra saw in her at all.

Aw I liked Michelle. I thought she took a few great photos (her 1-800-Flowers, and the Lubriderm zebra shot she was eliminated for). Yeah, she had some issues, and her post-show life hasn't exactly been stellar, but during the cycle I thought she totally was a good model. Also, I think I remember some people theorizing that the bleach job could be what caused the impetigo.

I'm new to ANTM, having only watched Cycles 1 &2 and I'm midway through C3 watching it on Amazon, but C3 has some incredibly bad makeovers.  Amanda, the blue-eyed neary blind contestant gets "Splash" blonde hair.  The hair washes her out completely and looks discolored midway down -- looks like someone pissed on the weave slightly past her shoulders.  Then Ann, whose natural hair is dark brown, gets blonde hair...only it looks like bad highighted hair in the front.  Ann looks so trailer park after that it makes me giggle when they talk about modeling haute couture. Cycles 1-3 have bad blonde makeovers where they also dyed their eyebrows and make them look non-existent.

Don't forget Shei's Cruella DeVille 'do.  It might be high fashion, but it seemed incredibly unmarketable.

I was catching up on the cycles I've missed (I'm wondering if i want to watch 19, i just bypassed it) - Shei's was horrible. Like I like how she worked it, but there was that Korean designer who flat out said it looked weird and stupid and why did she did that?  

• Love 1