Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Tanisha's Story

• Start Topic

(edited)

Can she not see her daughters are headed down the same path to obesity??

Nothing like a healthy salad loaded with half a bottle of creamy dressing. I guess it's better than a chalupa.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 22

Her youngest daughter is adorable. I really hope Tanisha can turn this around. I noticed the bottle of ranch dressing on the salad too Brooklynista. Dr. Now will tell her off for it after the commercial. ;)

• Love 5
(edited)
50 minutes ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

Got a couple more hours til it shows here.

How is it so Far?

Good so far - no juggalos, druggies, mouthbreathers, yelling, or craziness...yet. 

Edited after an hour into the show - I REALLY spoke too soon. Lunacy. 

Edited by Pers
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Can she not see her daughters are headed down the same path to obesity??

Nothing like a healthy salad loaded with half a bottle of creamy dressing. I guess it's better than a chalupa.

And croutons!

• Love 4
(edited)

Ooops, spoke too soon - husband being rude to Dr. Now. A wild enabler appears! 

Edited to add: sh*t! They're getting divorced! That was fast!

Edited again: replacement man - he looks a lot like the old model. 

Edited by Pers
  • Love 19
(edited)

So Dr now said lose 30 pounds. She loses 11 and is surprised she isn't approved for surgery. Wut? 

The hair of many colors is killing me. 

Her daughter is a sweetheart

A new boyfriend already? That was quick!

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 21

Her oldest daughter is on the same path and her youngest daughter is just heartbreaking.  The youngest thinks that she's the fault for all that weight!  How awful and how unfair to that little girl.

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

So Dr now said lose 30 pounds. She loses 11 and is surprised she isn't approved for surgery. Wut? 

yeah, but she looks "Cute"! you know, the makeup, hair and nails - you never even notice the 600 lbs.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Ms. Bubba said:

yeah, but she looks "Cute"! you know, the makeup, hair and nails - you never even notice the 600 lbs.

Stop! You're killing me!

• Love 5
(edited)

10 pounds - 11 pounds is nothing when you weigh 600 pounds....at least we weren't subject to a cross country move. She was bitching about 90 minutes in the car- try 5 days and breaking the bed in the hotel. Does Dr. Na know her mother died from obesity? 

Edited by operalover
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, operalover said:

Wait, how did she get a boyfriend at 600 pounds and I can't get one?

4 minutes ago, Ms. Bubba said:

You just not "cute" enough honey ;-)

Perhaps you should consider Kool aid colored hair.

• Love 9

I think it's really telling about how these people view food/their weight when they talk about their childhoods. So many of them say "I didn't struggle with my weight as a kid" but the accompanying pictures are of a pretty chubby kid. I know a lot of kids grow out of that and all, but it's interesting to hear their reflections.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Why doesn't Tanisha hop on in that pool? Even if she can't swim, simply walking from one shallow end to the other would burn a heap of calories. It's a great low impact workout. Wasted opportunity.

Maybe she did after the scene ended. What was the purpose of going to the pool - to watch the daughter swim????  

I wonder if the new man was beguiled by the white lipstick. 

• Love 6

Back to "life circumstances" stuff and eating bad foods.

"Dr. Now didn't give me a plan to follow" - it's the same frikkin' plan you had the month before! *BONK*

• Love 15

I've been working hard (while stuffing fried chicken in her mouth) and I deserve the surgery.  Jebus H. 

OMGoodness. I turned away and when I turned back she was a blond! Man oh Manischewitz!

• Love 19

she just doesn't get it. "I'm gonna take a little break" and eats fried chicken, fries, slushees.....

But she's doing the best she can and is surprised when the scale goes up. Uh huh.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm surprised Dr. Now doesn't employ a dietitian/nutritionist who can check in with the patient once a week and see what they are eating. It seems like he just gives them a handout and they are on their own. And obviously a lot of them don't get it, because we see them eating the wrong things.

Edited by Ms. Bubba
  • Love 6

I'm surprised Dr. Now doesn't employ a dietitian/nutritionist who can check in with the patient once a week and see what they are eating. It seems like he just gives them a handout and they are on their own.

Other people who actually had the surgery can chime in here, but when I was doing all the pre-surgery work, the dietitian gave us a plan (in a pretty brochure, not some mimeographed piece of paper, just sayin', style points count) and that was it. She wasn't going to check in with us, tho she was available for emails.

I didn't have to lose weight before the surgery, I'm not as heavy as most getting it and was doing it to get rid of diabetes, so maybe it's different for the kind of patients Dr Now has, who are significant surgical risks and who will still be at risk even if they lose 30-50 lbs before the surgery.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Her daughter is a sweetheart

A new boyfriend already? That was quick!

ITA with every point you made poeticlicensed! I keep going back and forth between being aggravated with her and feeling deep sympathy for what she has had to endure in her young life.

Her youngest daughter, who is beyond adorable and very well spoken, blaming herself for her mom's weight because of how much she gained while pregnant with her; I really choked up at that. Her oldest daughter concerns me; seems a little checked out to me, although when she smiled at the 27 pound weight loss appointment, she looked so sweet. I hope that because she's also overweight for her age that none of the sexual trauma that happened to her mom has happened to her.

Really thought she looked heavier than the scale indicated but Dr. Now explained that was her height of 5'1" which, if I am not mistaken, is the same height as good ol' Twitney on MBFFL. Hmmmmm.

Oh snap, she just quit Dr. Now while I was posting! Not good.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wouldn't beat this woman's door down. There have to be plenty of patients ready to put in three work and do whatever it takes to have her spot

Give her spot to her daughter. Let her get her weight under control before she's laid up in the bed like her momma.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 11
19 minutes ago, Pers said:

Back to "life circumstances" stuff and eating bad foods.

"Dr. Now didn't give me a plan to follow" - it's the same frikkin' plan you had the month before! *BONK*

Besides that giving someone a very detailed "plan" (eat 3 grapes at 10:05am, eat 2 oz of chicken at 12:15...) isn't going to help them learn to make CHOICES in order to maintain the weight loss. I see this kind of thing with some of my students. You have a set of parameters (Dr. Now's diet) and within those parameters you have the freedom to make choices for yourself because one day it's going to be YOU doing it on your own and for yourself. Take some responsibility and ownership of the process. LEARN how to make healthier choices. Grow the F*** up! 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, aliya said:

We have a saying from one of our church Presidents, "Get on your knees and pray. And then get on your feet and work."  It's one of my favorites. 

Yes!  That's a new favorite quote of mine. Thank you Aliya!!

• Love 4