Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: We Will Rise

Yeah, the chase scene especially was reminding me of Mad Max: Fury Road.  It even felt like they were playing similar music for a few seconds.

Once again, Clarke has a game plan, which is to transport all of the remaining fuel to Raven for her rocket ship, have to deal with angry Tree Crew, treacherous Ice Nation, dangerous roads, and a grumpy Bellamy, only to discover that one of the barrels got shot with an arrow and is now empty, so the plan is all fucked up again, since Raven needed every drop.  Things never go the way they're suppose to, huh?

Raven's headaches are getting worse, and causing her to really go after Murphy, but Luna finds a way to calm her down, and the three of them finally figure out that if they crash the rocket into water on the return home, everyone lives!  But, then they find out about the whole lost barrel thing, which causes Raven to have another seizure.  Because she is Raven, and it isn't an episode of The 100 if Raven isn't suffering on some levels.

Meanwhile, Sky Crew is pissed at Ilian for what he did, and want to take justice into their own hands.  Kane holds them back for a little bit, but soon Octavia not only helps them, but wants to kill him herself.  Kane talks her down, sets Ilian free, but now Octavia is stomping away into the woods.  Also got to rewatch Lincoln getting executed again.  Lovely.

Glad Niylah is still around, but I hope Clarke asking her to remain as Arcadia won't end up putting her in danger somehow.

Got a kick out of all the times they had found ways to not have any of the other characters get Abby in the rocket scenes.  I was waiting for one of them to break the fourth wall and just yell "We can't wake Abby!  Paige Turco has the week off!"

• Love 1

It's a shame, but I think we're done with this show. My husband and I didn't start watching until the third season (binge-watched the first two on Netflix after reading the good reviews), and--despite not being the target demographic, since we are in our 60s--we were really into it because we like sci-fi with moral and ethical dilemmas. But everything has just gotten too much this season (and maybe part of last season)--the nonstop disasters and near-disasters, the one-note characterization of some characters and the misfires in making others more complex (Bellamy: "He's bad; no, he's good; no, he's bad; no, he's a hero"), the unbelievable survival skills of main characters (if the writers wanted to keep Octavia, for example, at least have her injured in a way that would not certainly kill anyone else), the unrealistic details (especially the clean and lovely hair and perfect makeup that the female characters maintain in most circumstances), etc. We've been sticking with it this season in hopes that it would get better after the Alli plot that went on too long, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. 

• Love 7

I agree that it's getting a little ridiculous with the seemingly never-ending "We have a solution! Oh no! Something went wrong and now we're screwed. Here's another solution! Oh no! Something went wrong and now we're screwed again." I'm starting to hope they all die except Monty. (Who is smart and brave and should probably be the leader) 

I was a little annoyed though that they spent so much time protecting the guy who blew up the ship. I know this show is all about moral dilemmas but, come on, the guy might have just ended mankind. They floated people for much less than that.

Jasper....*sigh*  I'm starting to wish he'd die just so Devon Bostick can go get another job. His talent is being wasted on this show. Either do something with his character or just kill him off already.

• Love 6

Should I start with this "In this episode POC characters are used to further white people's storylines. Also, white women are the paragons of true virtue, natural leaders and only do mildly bad things (like torturing people, killing their loved ones and blaming them, gaslighting, cutting some bystander's head off, abusing their boyfriend, then their brother and wishing for him to be killed)" or is it getting repetitive?

I'm going to do that anyway, sorry not sorry.

PS: Where's Echo, the third Awesome Lady (tm), though. She needs some tragic backstory with her cutting people's heads off (some more) and Bellamy to prop her up!

Luna and Raven are the actual queens we truly deserve, though.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

It's also really hard to get invested in the battles between the different Grounder tribes too, because there aren't an awful lot of established characters among them to make that dynamic interesting.

Indeed, I'm very fatigued by the warring clans at this point. I'm also fatigued by the stagnation of the Bellarke relationship (though I'm a fan of it and want it to happen) because there's zero forward momentum there. I love a slow burn, but if that's the aim, something needs to catch frakking fire here. It seemed like they were almost going to go there at the end but then...more stagnation.

Everything this season so far feels very rinse and repeat to me. The highlights were finding out that Indra has a daughter (though now they're both MIA) and Raven science-ing up the rocket with the unlikely combo of Luna and Murphy. Jaha is also slightly interesting to me. Everything else feels like the characters could simply be reading off old season 2 or 3 scripts. 

• Love 2

I quite enjoyed the Raven/Murphy/Luna dynamic until they pushed Raven to the pain once again. Why can't she have one nice week? Everytime she smiles I worry for her because it's usually a cue for the show to hurt her. 

The fuel road trip was all sorts of boring. They really need to streamline the grounder stuff. Just keep Indra, Luna and maybe Roan and ditch the cities and politics and factions. For that matter they need to reduce the Arcadia stuff too. Just go back to a small group of people trying to survive an inhospitable environment, itd be so much better.

ETA: Jasper remains the worst. Gah! can't he go to Offscreenville or something? I get what they're trying to do with the PTSD and such but I find the contrast between his manpain and dead girlfriend issues and the rest of them dealing with the future survival of the human race somewhat jarring. I understand everyone handles things differently but I'm sure all the others have their own issues which they put aside to deal with the more pressing issue at hand.

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 4
On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎16 at 6:16 AM, Rachel RSL said:

Jasper....*sigh*  I'm starting to wish he'd die just so Devon Bostick can go get another job. His talent is being wasted on this show. Either do something with his character or just kill him off already.

Hahaha! While I can agree there is a little bit of talent wasting here, I have to take an alternate stance. This episode brought me to the realization that I've done a complete 180 in regard to Jasper; I hated him last season, now he might possibly be my favourite character. I completely relate to his "whatever, none of this matters" type attitude, as it pertains to the show, lol!

• Love 4

So, Clarke mentions "when the death wave comes" -- so somehow she knows about the coming wave of radioactive destruction.  How does Clarke know it's coming ?  And the date and time of its arrival ?  Considering how quickly that wave was moving past the Pyramids and the Sphinx, it should have already got there by now.

All Clarke saw when she was in the City of Light with ALIE was power plants assploding around the world-- but even that was a projection, so who knows if it was accurate.  And she certainly didn't see any massive death wave.

Did anyone else notice the many vehicle tracks in this random flat green field (ideal for a chase) that the rover and truck were racing across ?

Considering these are probably the only 2 working vehicles within a 500 miles, where did the other vehicle tracks come from ?
Realistically, they probably came from the many takes of the scene.

As for the rest of it, it's just so boring and confusing.

5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So, Clarke mentions "when the death wave comes" -- so somehow she knows about the coming wave of radioactive destruction.  How does Clarke know it's coming ?  And the date and time of its arrival ?  Considering how quickly that wave was moving past the Pyramids and the Sphinx, it should have already got there by now.

I wondered the same. When in doubt, just assume Raven 'happened'--with her mechanic/engineer/computer programming/advanced chem. superpowers. Remember when Monty was the programmer (stereotypical or not) and Jasper was the chemist?

• Love 4

Welcome back to Meta Station, where Roan is an action hero, Luna is magic, and Niylah is the most emotionally mature person on this show. Also Erin thinks she's figured out a Blake sibling arc we might actually be able to get hyped for, Claire's still crying over how only one of Kane's new daughters wants to hug him, and Jaha remains perched atop the fourth wall. This was a good one, fam.

0:00 – The Nap Rotation Theory
0:02 – Let’s Not Breeze Past the Revelation That Becca Pramheda Kept Toy Cars In Her Place of Work
0:05 – The Unexpected Magic of the Raven/Murphy/Luna Power Trio
0:15 – MURPHY IS LEARNING TO LOVE AND WE’RE EMOTIONAL ABOUT IT
0:20 – Medical Ethics On Science Island: Shit’s About to Get Very Real
0:29 – Erin’s Science Island “Bones” AU
0:31 - WHY CAN’T EVERYONE JUST MOVE INTO THAT PRISTINE TEN-STORY LAB THAT CLEARLY RODE OUT THE FIRST APOCALYPSE JUST FINE
0:34 – Luna’s Magical Healing Effect on Raven’s Brain: These People REALLY Need a Therapist TBH
0:41 – Abby, Clarke and “There Has to Be Another Way”
0:46 – Murphy’s Gonna Have to Land the Rocket, We’re Calling It Right Now
0:47 – Octavia Gets Rebooted Back to Last Season and We Have Some Questions But Are Also Maybe Beginning to Figure Out Where They’re Going With This
1:11 – We Need to Talk About the Blakes’ Deeply Dysfunctional Relationship
1:26 – Erin’s Grand Unified Blake Theory: On Rewatch, We Might Know Where Bellamy’s Arc Is Going and If We’re Right We LOVE IT
1:46 – The Shakespearean Tragedy of Marcus Kane
2:04 – Mad Max: Fury Roan
2:09 – Niylah Is the Actual Best
2:17 – The Eternal Hope of Clarke Griffin
2:20 – “Clarke, If I Never See You Again, [ERIN, FILL IN THE BLANK!]”
2:28 – In Which Our Discussion of "Gimme Shelter" Goes a Bit Sideways

• Love 1

0:31 - WHY CAN’T EVERYONE JUST MOVE INTO THAT PRISTINE TEN-STORY LAB THAT CLEARLY RODE OUT THE FIRST APOCALYPSE JUST FINE

This. 1000% this.

As I watched an episode devoted to a post-apocalyptic car race and a flight simulator, I suddenly realised that this season has no plot. No wonder it's been filled with so much dumb.

• Love 3

I guess all Clarke and Kane had to do was tell Roan stuff and the last two episodes literally wouldn't have happened. That's good to know. Now he's back to playing best buddies with Clarke.

It's impressive that Becca's lab stayed perfectly in tact. And...why can't people stay there, again? Or did Jaha refurnish the entire thing with ALIE's help in the 89 days he was alone?

And we're back to Octavia hating Bellamy. We already know Bellamy loves his sister. I still haven't seen evidence of her caring for Bellamy; I've felt this way the entire series. We don't really see her caring for Bellamy, except for the three or four episodes randomly scattered. I get the hate from Octavia; I'm just still waiting for any siblings scenes that aren't filled with hostility or one of them choosing their love interest. The dialogue sometimes says that they care for each other when in danger. The acted scenes say otherwise. I've been wanting a better Blake sibling arc for a while. But they keep giving us nothing. Now, Octavia's taken off again, when she could have stayed gone, and Bellamy's in his stagnant romantic arc with Clarke, as she's with Niylah.

It's nice for Raven/Murphy scenes, as they are my two favourites now, but I almost forgot why Raven hates Murphy. Of course I'm an idiot to forget who shot her in the first place. Looking back to my first comment for season 2, I remember saying that I had no interest in Murphy's redemption. My, how things have changed quickly. Now I think he needs to stick around. I liked his scene with Luna as well. 

• Love 2