Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Trapped

Episodes 1-3:

Spoiler

Things sure went down the crapper super fast there. I'm bored with the real estate development storyline but I assume it will come into play later. I'm also guessing the red herring (fish analogy now actually apt) kid who supposedly burned up his girlfriend isn't guilty of murder, then or now. His ultimate redemption will be coming. He has scars under that dratted wool cap, you think?

I have no idea where the human trafficking plot is leading or how it will eventually tie in. I'm not so much interested in the police chief and his ex-wife/kids but look forward to finding out his work backstory and how he and his "brilliance" ended up exiled to podunk town.

So far I'm fondest of the female police officer. Smart, loyal, empathetic, nice marriage. Plus she wasn't foolish enough to let the Lithuanian out of the damned cell. All feelings subject to change, but please don't make her the villain!

I need to use descriptions instead of looking up everyone's names because honestly.

Edited by palmaire
  • Like 2

@palmaire, there's no need for you to hide the contents of your post.  It's not a spoiler if it only covers what's been aired in the US.

I'm glad I'm not the only person watching this very interesting show.

• Like 1

I am really enjoying this show, even though I find subtitles hard to read (bad eyesight made even worse with white letters on an oft snowy background).  It will be interesting to see how all the sub-plots come together.

• Like 1

When I first heard about this show, I thought it was an American or British version of an Icelandic original. So I was very surprised to see that it actually WAS the Icelandic original.  I discovered that since I normally have the closed captioning on anyhow and the dialog is fairly terse, I'm fine with it.  In the first episode, when the policeman goes on board to talk to the Danish captain and he suddenly starts speaking English, I thought it was going to be a Hunt For Red October moment where now the whole thing is in English.

This is the first show I've watched on Viceland. I took that channel off my favorites list when it changed from HI or H2 or whatever it was in the end. I hope that it will not limit it's potential audience, because this is as good as most mystery shows on PBS.

• Like 2

I only heard of this when I saw it highlighted as a new forum here. I've watched five episodes and am really enjoying the atmosphere, setting, and characters, but it's a bit tiring to stay focused solely on the screen in order to read subtitles. I always have closed-captioning enabled anyway, but am used to doing other things and only glancing up every few minutes.

I expect I'll gradually watch the rest of the series but to ease the suspense, I went ahead and read the plot summary on wiki, which does tell the ending. Relief!

• Like 1

On 3/2/2017 at 7:34 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

This is the first show I've watched on Viceland. I took that channel off my favorites list when it changed from HI or H2 or whatever it was in the end. I hope that it will not limit it's potential audience, because this is as good as most mystery shows on PBS.

I've found a lot of good shows on Viceland, so I hope more people give it a chance.

On 3/2/2017 at 9:27 PM, Lord Donia said:

I only heard of this when I saw it highlighted as a new forum here. I've watched five episodes and am really enjoying the atmosphere, setting, and characters, but it's a bit tiring to stay focused solely on the screen in order to read subtitles. I always have closed-captioning enabled anyway, but am used to doing other things and only glancing up every few minutes.

I expect I'll gradually watch the rest of the series but to ease the suspense, I went ahead and read the plot summary on wiki, which does tell the ending. Relief!

Yes, I miss not being able to do other stuff while I'm watching, but the show is so damned good, I am usually riveted anyways.

I still have Sunday's 2 episodes on my DVR and am really looking forward to watching them.

• Like 2

The whole time I watched I kept thinking "Why didn't Masterpiece Mystery get this show? Then at least it would have the viewers it deserved."  Alternately, I wonder how the BBC would reinterpret it to the UK.  Somewhere bleak and moody up in the Scottish highlands or the Hebrides perhaps?

The ending was reasonably satisfactory, although quite sad.  There weren't unanswered questions so much as questions that could have been answered more fully. There was so little exposition in the first episode, you're just thrown into this group of townspeople and left to figure out all the relationships.  Now that I've seen the whole thing, I want to go back and watch again to pick up things I missed before.  For example, I spent 3-4 episodes not being able to tell the mayor from the ex-police chief until I realized they were the same person!  Not that they didn't look alike (I thought that was the problem in the beginning) but they (he) acted so differently.  As the mayor he seemed a slimy political glad-hander, whereas the ex-chief seemed like a total prick and not afraid to show it.  

• Like 2

Yes, this is one series worth a rewatch, now that I'm more familiar with all the characters.  It's too bad more people haven't discovered Viceland, because this show should be a big hit for the PBS/BBC/IFC crowd.  

• Like 2

I just discovered this show via a blog on crime TV and binged it in three days (although there was a bit of a panic when I checked On Demand today and the only episode available was the first one even though it said it wouldn't expire until 5/23--luckily it was available online). I found it very satisfying overall.  I guessed early on that the fire at the beginning of the series was arson and likely performed by the dead guy once they revealed who he was.  I liked that the people who looked like they were shady were shady even if they weren't technically murderers. 

As for the actual murderers--I liked finding out the FIL murdered the mayor. They spent the whole time building up his grief over the loss of his daughter so when the revelation happened that it was all a lie, the motive had already been established for him to snap.  It didn't feel like it came out of nowhere.  I didn't love finding out the woman killed the cut up man in a moment of self-defense.  While they did hint at something being up with Maggi's father, it felt a little out there.

On 3/2/2017 at 11:27 PM, Lord Donia said:

I always have closed-captioning enabled anyway, but am used to doing other things and only glancing up every few minutes.

I do other things too and like the freedom to look down so a show with closed captioning can throw me.  For instance, I love The Americans but I hate that I sometimes miss things or have to rewind whenever they hit Russia even if I appreciate the authenticity of speaking in the mother tongue.  But since I was sick the past few days, I felt less inclined to do two things at a time.  I wish I could break myself of the multi-tasking habit because there are quite a few closed captioned shows that I'd love to watch but put off lazily because I'm afraid I won't be able to not look away while watching so I'll miss things.

• Like 2

Just caught this show on Amazon Prime. Loving the scenery, now I feel like I need to visit Iceland, just not in a blizzard. It would be interesting to see what Masterpiece could do with this series.

• Like 1

I just finished this series and thought it was excellent. The subtitles takes some getting used to because like others I usually do other stuff while streaming, but once I just sat down and watched I found it very engaging. The conspiracy and twists were really good, though at the very end I did start to guess some of it. Also, it was a show I could binge watch and not get sick of it halfway through, due to the overwrought plot. The pacing was just right. The storyline twists and acting was somewhat understated which also made it easy to view the episodes back to back.

I wonder if they'll do a season 2? I'd be interested in watching, even though I'm skeptical as to where they could take the story and also if they could top the greatness that was this first season. 

Edited by Enero
  • Like 5

I love this show! I found it by chance on VICELAND in February when we were having an unseasonably cold spell in Los Angeles, and was immediately fascinated by the unfamiliar language and setting. By the time it finished I was totally captivated by the excellent writing and performances. Now I am watching it again (somewhat obsessively) on Amazon and have even gotten my husband hooked, although he doesn't usually like subtitled dialogue. It's so much better the second time through, because I recognize all the villagers and can actually remember how they are related to one another (which I didn't pick up on completely the first time) and can now appreciate the consistency of the plot, including locations!  I even found the actual street where much of it was shot on location in Iceland using Google Maps, a nice place to visit when the temperature here is over 100 in late August.

• Like 3

The Tunnel:  Iceland Edition.

I started out thinking "look how pretty" in episode 1 and then thinking "you'd have to be insane to live there" by episode 2.

That seems like a crazy difficult language.

I had difficulty keeping up with some of the plot because the characters names were so complicated

Overall I really liked it.

• Like 1

Late the party. My neighbors were discussing how good this series was the other night so I thought that I'd check it out. It's compelling and I can't wait to see how it sums up. 

• Like 1

I thought this series was so well done. Like an onion it took many layers to peel back and figure out exactly what happened. A thinking persons series. Well worth viewing. 

• Like 2

I watched when Viceland originally aired it, loved it so much that I kept the season on my DVR, and tonight I  just finished my second viewing! Now I am waiting anxiously for the next season!

I find that Viceland has excellent programming in general, so I'm thrilled they aired this gem.

The question for me is: will they pick up season 2 as it airs, or will we have to wait a while? Eek! 

Ok, I just realized that The Weinstein Co had distribution rights butnsold the rights to Amazon. It looks like series 2 (season 2) airs in Iceland during Winter 2018, so maybe we will get it as it airs. Dang, such a long time either way.

On another note, I'm going to Iceland at the end of this year or beginning of next year, so I'll definitely check out some Trapped landmarks! 

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Like 1

Loved this show so much.  The series was filmed primarily in Siglufjörður, Iceland, which I happened to visit this summer.  Fun to see so many familiar sights, including the Siglo Hotel which appears in many scenes and is part of the plot.  The ferry to the Faroe Islands is also real but docks in Seyðisfjörður, another town on the other side of Iceland.  Can't wait for series 2.

Edited by TV Glotzer
  • Like 1