Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Living While Eddie

After her precious morning papaya goes missing and the dishwasher was used for its actual purpose rather than just a drying rack, Jessica automatically accuses Eddie as the culprit. Yet when a record store manager accuses him of stealing a CD, she realizes he has other motives for his actions. Meanwhile, Louis and Emery are bursting with excitement when a TV crew comes to shoot an infomercial at Cattleman's Ranch.

(edited)

That whole gunyun bit, so hilariously bad! I mean, the guy had to shake the tool to get the onions out.

"Onions, scallions, challots [could it be?] ...  it do" [doh, LOL]  

Totally nailed the dishwasher too. Growing up, it was the forbidden fruit.

Edited by smash
  • Love 5
(edited)

I normally like Emery, but he deserved every bit of shock and humiliation he got at the end.  Seriously.  Sabotaging his own father just because he wanted the part?  That's just mean.

OTOH, making an initially-calm person nervous by reminding him or her how many people will be watching is a trope that's been used since at least Bugs Bunny once did it to Daffy Duck (though I think Bugs did it by accident and didn't mean to make Daffy nearly pass out by telling him that, or at least didn't expect him to).  Still, Louis didn't deserve the embarrassment.  Emery certainly did, though.

I did like Jessica and Eddie's storyline, though.  I was totally with Eddie on using the dishwasher since it made no sense not to use one.  Though I also got Jessica on not wanting the dishes ruined by it.  I thought it'd turn out that Evan used it, though.  Instead, he just ate the papaya Jessica liked to eat, while Eddie did use the dishwasher.  (I should've known that Eddie was innocent of the papaya fiasco due to the very long pause between him and Jessica when she looked accusingly at him.)

Funny episode.

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Vyk said:

I did like Jessica and Eddie's storyline, though.  I was totally with Eddie on using the dishwasher since it made no sense not to use one.  Though I also got Jessica on not wanting the dishes ruined by it.  I thought it'd turn out that Evan used it, though.  Instead, he just ate the papaya Jessica liked to eat, while Eddie did use the dishwasher.  (I should've known that Eddie was innocent of the papaya fiasco due to the very long pause between him and Jessica when she looked accusingly at him.)

They did a great job setting us up to think that Evan was guilty of the dishwasher incident, rather than the papaya-eating.

Is it just me, or is Evan becoming a lot less likable? The actor is great at giving a pompous, imperious look.

• Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, Vyk said:

I normally like Emery, but he deserved every bit of shock and humiliation he got at the end.  Seriously.  Sabotaging his own father just because he wanted the part?  That's just mean.

Him that said last week he wanted to go to heaven so he did a report... Wildly out of character for me. Did not like.

I liked how Eddie just took the blame for the papaya so his little brother would keep his clean record. That was cute. 

Edited by Landlord
  • Love 6

I loved the part about the dishwasher being a dish rack.  I knew we had a dishwasher, but my mom had me convinced that it was broken.  She just used it for storage, and we had a dish rack on top of the counter.  

• Love 6

I loved this. The director of the infomercial was so funny. I loved every time he stared at Louis when Louis made a little joke. He was just a goofy little character. And of course Rhys Darby was perfect as the pitchman. The way Evan and Louis reacted to the bobblehead figures was great. Loved the pitchman (Tony?) just putting his hand behind him to await his assistant or whoever handing him the doll.

Loved the montage of Louis's screw-ups. Chariots, Sicilians... So great.

I didn't mind Evan sabotaging him. The lights blinded him with promise.

The Eddie/Jessica story was good, too. Loved the almost throw-away bit with Jessica going to the wrong store. I can't remember who the guy eating his lunch was, but it seems I've seen him as a Russian in a TV show or two. The guy at the other store was good, too. Again, I've seen him before but can't remember where or what his name is. This show does really good with the small parts and casting.

• Love 6

I was distracted by the notion that the infomercial wouldn't have fired Louis after a handful of flubbed takes. Very odd to me they'd do a second day of shooting that they didn't originally schedule because of a dude they hired on a whim because someone cancelled. If only they'd made the switch to Emery midday, I'd have bought it.

That said I LOVED the "mall location" bit. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The director of the infomercial was so funny

That was David Wain a member of The State, writer/director of Wet Hot American Summer among other things.

• Love 2

I liked Eddie & Jessica's, but Emory & Louis plot made both characters look bad.  Even their reactions to getting bobbleheads, which were mysteriously all the rage in the late 90's, was off.

The line is going from Baby to Scary...

Funny episode, even though the Emory and Louis plot was a bit off. They both seemed pretty out of character, even though it was nice seeing them in a plot together. The infomercial itself was great though. I watched a LOT of infomercials when I was a kid, and they really are that stupid, and the products did sound that lame. "How can I possibly cut this onion?! How does food work?!?!"

"Reach for the sky, popcorn."

Awwww, Eddie took the rap for his brother eating the papaya! That was pretty sweet.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Tiger said:

I liked Eddie & Jessica's, but Emory & Louis plot made both characters look bad.

Emery looked plenty bad, but I fail to see how Louis looked bad.

I just thought Louis was out of character by being thrown that people would watch the infomercial when it's been shown that he thrived on being live on the morning news and was delighted that people would see and recognize him.

• Love 9

They do seem to be sort of selectively dumbing down Louis. He's usually so upbeat and that is sometimes associated with dumb characters but so far he hasn't been presented as conveniently-dumb-for-camera. I hope it does not continue in that direction.

On 3/1/2017 at 0:47 PM, Vickismom said:

I loved the part about the dishwasher being a dish rack.  I knew we had a dishwasher, but my mom had me convinced that it was broken.  She just used it for storage, and we had a dish rack on top of the counter.  

I'm in my 30s and only after reading this post did it occur to me that our dishwasher might not really have been broken for my entire childhood.

• Love 8

We moved into a brand new house when I was in fifth grade so my parents didn't even try to pretend that the dishwasher that came with the house was broken or a drying rack. They just told us that we couldn't use it. Fast forward to when I got mono in high school and the doctor told my parents it was highly contagious so we should be sterilizing the dishes and silverware using the hot water setting in the dishwasher. I was sick but I still remember thinking OMG, are we going to be allowed to use the dishwasher instead of washing everything by hand? Nope, we still had to wash everything and then we put it in the dishwasher for sterilization purposes. Once I was allowed to go back to school, our brief time with the dishwasher was over.

• Love 1

So I was confused as to how Eddie could be accused of shoplifting the 'used CD'.  Every story that I've been to that sold used CDs had them tapped shut in several places with an additional sticker for the price.  Even if Eddie could have pealed all the tape/stickers off, there'd be a sticky residue that wouldn't have gone away immediately.

14 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

So I was confused as to how Eddie could be accused of shoplifting the 'used CD'.  Every story that I've been to that sold used CDs had them tapped shut in several places with an additional sticker for the price.  Even if Eddie could have pealed all the tape/stickers off, there'd be a sticky residue that wouldn't have gone away immediately.

Different places do things definitely most of the places I went to just had a simple used sticker and a price tag, occasionally they would be wrapped in plastic.

Especially back in the earlier days of reselling CDs. When the Wherehouse initially started selling used CDs, they marked them by punching a hole in the booklet. They later switched to resealing them in plastic and putting a bright sticker that said "USED."

Some places charged the same amount for all used CDs (except for double CDs) so they didn't put price stickers on the cases. 

I agree Emery was a bit mean, though the actor does a good job with being angry.

I know Asian families that do use the dishwasher.  They just wash the dishes by hand first before starting it.  I was also told when I moved in to this place that if the dishwasher doesn't run regularly, it can malfunction.

I did like the Jessica/Eddie moments.

• Love 1