Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Just Your Normal Average American Town

• Start Topic

So my dog was yapping his little head off and I very well might have missed something but what the hell was that with those little kids in animal masks and Derek, the next-town-over drug dealer? I really thought it was going to be a dream/nightmare sequence until he pulled Molly aside. 

I love that they cast Melanie Lynskey and Alison Tolman as sisters. That's so perfect.

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned above but Jane Levy's character name is Jackie Torrance, so I assume she must have some connection to The Shining's Jack. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 7/28/2018 at 3:25 PM, bilgistic said:

The dog dug up something that was missing/was stated to be not found at the scene of an...incident. I hope that gives you enough info. I can tell you straight out if you want.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:34 PM, ferjy said:

As Bilgistic suggests, you definitely want to know what the dog dug up. It goes along with the narration at that point.

Okay, please tell me what it was. I don't want to see a dead dog, but I'm going to re-watch the episodes when I'm more awake, and won't be interrupted.

23 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I started rewatching and caught an "Easter egg". Henry goes to the late warden's house and asks his widow to see his office. She gets a phone call and he sneaks in the office and starts rooting around. He sees a manila folder atop a credenza or desk. The folder is full of newspaper clippings, one of which is titled something like, "Shop Owner Missing After Fire" (Needful Things) and another is something like, "Rabid Dog Ravages Through Town" (Cujo).

...And I just saw that @ferjy mentioned the newspapers.

I read a fair amount of Stephen King when I was younger and I've seen most of his movie and TV adaptations.

There's a bunch of stuff in the credits, which shows a book with chapter titles. I think there's one about twins (The Shining) and a red balloon (It).

I think it was, based on how the wings moved. I didn't understand why that scene was even included. If he was in Houston, could he not have flown straight (or with a layover) to Portland? The gator attraction was in Louisiana, I think. That just didn't make sense. He did say he flew in, but I guess took the bus from the airport to Castle Rock.

Again, I'm overthinking this.

Oh! And I think Mystery Boy (alternate names?) was put in the cage sometime around the time Henry was found in 1991. Late warden was watching George H.W. Bush on TV. Clinton was elected in November 1992 (that was my first time voting; I turned 18 in October 1992). So was Mystery Boy a child then? How did the warden know Henry would be an attorney?? 2018 minus 1991 is 27 years, which is how often Pennywise from It comes out--every 27 years!

I was too young to vote in 1992, but that was the first time I got excited about an election. :) I'd been back over here two years at the time. So Devil Boy was either a baby, or is immortal. I wonder why he would give a scary vision to that guy who helped him - the one who called Henry, and told him that they were planning to get rid of him. It seems counter-productive, as well a cruel when the guy is trying to help, not hurt. 

I saw Needful things, twenty years ago. I have the book around here somewhere, and a compilation of stories (unless it was in there). "Survivor" made me ill. Ugh. I haven't read The Stand, because mum told me that it would make me ill. 

Why would he keep the boy down there for so many years, and then have him call someone when he's found? Why kill himself, and have the boy freed? 

I started to watch the third episode earlier, but kept getting interrupted, and then I had to leave the house. I should have left it until tomorrow. 

Why do they think Henry killed his dad? He was on a ventilator when he went missing, so I don't understand how he was found out in the snow. 

I haven't had much of a Summer, but I'm wanting to read everything now. I'll probably end up on a waiting list for almost everything at the library. I still have to read his new one, that I bought at the beginning of June. *I wanted to read lighter stuff. 

Edited by Anela
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Okay, please tell me what it was. I don't want to see a dead dog, but I'm going to re-watch the episodes when I'm more awake, and won't be interrupted.

It's Warden Dale Lacy's head. His pretty blue eyes looking up to the sky. ;-D

• Love 1

@Anela, young Henry's dad was found at the bottom of the bluff/cliff that Dale Lacy drove off. Everyone assumes young Henry pushed his dad off the bluff. We don't yet know what happened. (Young Henry's dad drove off with Henry in the middle of the night one night. Molly saw them leave.)

Young Henry then disappeared for 11 days, during which time his dad was found. Dad was then at home with his broken bones set in casts and he was on the ventilator. Young Henry reappeared standing on the frozen lake (which is at the bottom of the bluff) when Sheriff Alan Pangborn was out looking for him. Henry has no memory of the 11 days he was missing nor some/most(?) details of life prior to that.

Grown Henry told Jackie (Molly's "executive assistant") at the bar that his dad died at home, not outside after the fall/jump/whatever off the bluff. (He corrected her when she asked if he killed his dad outside.) So it seems that townsfolk (except Alan, Henry's mom, and Molly) don't know the real story, and have just perpetuated rumors for nearly 30 years.

Henry's dad did something bad, because Henry burned a VHS tape while saying, "Fuck you, Dad."

I don't know what that kiddie courtroom was about!

I'm going to Small Talk to discuss Stephen King's other works/recommendations/etc.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Whoa! I somehow missed that! I thought the dog dug up a skull. Maybe I need to re-watch the first three episodes again.

• Love 3
On 7/28/2018 at 11:18 PM, bilgistic said:

"Oh! And I think Mystery Boy (alternate names?) was put in the cage sometime around the time Henry was found in 1991. Late warden was watching George H.W. Bush on TV. Clinton was elected in November 1992 (that was my first time voting; I turned 18 in October 1992). So was Mystery Boy a child then? How did the warden know Henry would be an attorney?? 2018 minus 1991 is 27 years, which is how often Pennywise from It comes out--every 27 years!

Great deduction!  I feel like them casting Skarsgård is just too big of a coincidence for his character to not be related to Pennywise.  I would love the big reveal to be that The Kid is actually Pennywise and the warden’s character knowingly released him for his next season of killing.  

This show is creeping me out but I am fascinated.  I can’t wait to see where the story goes from here. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, taragel said:

So my dog was yapping his little head off and I very well might have missed something but what the hell was that with those little kids in animal masks and Derek, the next-town-over drug dealer? I really thought it was going to be a dream/nightmare sequence until he pulled Molly aside. 

I love that they cast Melanie Lynskey and Alison Tolman as sisters. That's so perfect.

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned above but Jane Levy's character name is Jackie Torrance, so I assume she must have some connection to The Shining's Jack. 

I thought Derek was babysitting the kids and found a (creepy and weird) way to entertain them. They said their dads were in Shawshank, and their moms were off being drunk. I thought maybe they were playing ‘Animal Farm.’

And it’s good to see Jane Levy. I’ve been a fan of hers since ‘Suburgatory.’ 

Who keeps trashing Molly’s house? Henry’s dad?

One more question: why would Alan Levy say that he’d locked up the Devil and that he should never see the light of day, only to tell Nick to ask for Henry, a lawyer? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I thought Derek was babysitting the kids and found a (creepy and weird) way to entertain them. They said their dads were in Shawshank, and their moms were off being drunk. I thought maybe they were playing ‘Animal Farm.’

And it’s good to see Jane Levy. I’ve been a fan of hers since ‘Suburgatory.’ 

Who keeps trashing Molly’s house? Henry’s dad?

One more question: why would Alan Levy say that he’d locked up the Devil and that he should never see the light of day, only to tell Nick to ask for Henry, a lawyer? 

I didn’t think he was babysitting them as much as entertaining them. I think they’re just lone kids running around loose. Not sure though. 

Did you mean Dale Lacy (former warden)? I’m struggling to remember who Alan Levy is. 

• Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 12:25 AM, ferjy said:

On 7/30/2018 at 1:16 AM, bilgistic said:

@Anela, young Henry's dad was found at the bottom of the bluff/cliff that Dale Lacy drove off. Everyone assumes young Henry pushed his dad off the bluff. We don't yet know what happened. (Young Henry's dad drove off with Henry in the middle of the night one night. Molly saw them leave.)

Young Henry then disappeared for 11 days, during which time his dad was found. Dad was then at home with his broken bones set in casts and he was on the ventilator. Young Henry reappeared standing on the frozen lake (which is at the bottom of the bluff) when Sheriff Alan Pangborn was out looking for him. Henry has no memory of the 11 days he was missing nor some/most(?) details of life prior to that.

Grown Henry told Jackie (Molly's "executive assistant") at the bar that his dad died at home, not outside after the fall/jump/whatever off the bluff. (He corrected her when she asked if he killed his dad outside.) So it seems that townsfolk (except Alan, Henry's mom, and Molly) don't know the real story, and have just perpetuated rumors for nearly 30 years.

Henry's dad did something bad, because Henry burned a VHS tape while saying, "Fuck you, Dad."

I don't know what that kiddie courtroom was about!

I'm going to Small Talk to discuss Stephen King's other works/recommendations/etc.

Thank you! I really need to watch all three again. Uninterrupted. 

And I've just realized that you were talking about pennywise, re: 1991/1992. Why would Henry disappear for eleven days, though, and not end up dead? Did pennywise hurt his dad? Maybe he survived because his dad killed his innocence in some way? I still don't understand why the warden would hold the kid for so long, and then have him released. I hope we actually get answers.

• Love 1
On 7/28/2018 at 7:02 AM, littlemommy said:

I'm really enjoying the who's-who cast of this show...a lot of familiar faces from other Stephen King screen (big and small) adaptations. It's not a terrifically compelling plot quite yet, but I'm sticking with it--it mirrors King's books, which tend to start off incredibly slowly as he sets all the pieces out onto the chessboard. That doesn't always work out in film form (I'm looking at YOU, "Storm of the Century"), but sometimes it does (I'm blowing you a kiss, "The Stand"!). 

hey now, i enjoyed Storm of the Century with all the Bahston type accents. Plus the guy who played Linoge was pretty good at being creepy.

• Love 7

Someone dying at the "touch" of someone else is also the main theme in the short story "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands." I wonder if that's how Devil Boy kills, or if he can kill many different ways. Or if he just "shines"...but darkly.

Alan Pangborn was sheriff for Needful Things and also in The Dark Half, and I kind of hate to see him all grizzled and frayed here. He was one of the rare King heroes. Guess he and Polly Chalmers didn't make it. :P

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Anela said:

Thank you! I really need to watch all three again. Uninterrupted. 

And I've just realized that you were talking about pennywise, re: 1991/1992. Why would Henry disappear for eleven days, though, and not end up dead? Did pennywise hurt his dad? Maybe he survived because his dad killed his innocence in some way? I still don't understand why the warden would hold the kid for so long, and then have him released. I hope we actually get answers.

I haven't seen the remake, I just found out now that Bill Skarsgård played Pennywise. It's (no pun intended) going to be on in a couple of weeks here on the Movie Channel. I've set the pvr to record it.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Colorado David said:

hey now, i enjoyed Storm of the Century with all the Bahston type accents. Plus the guy who played Linoge was pretty good at being creepy.

Me too. I thought it was one of the better Stephen King mini series.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 1

I have always regretted that Storm of the Century wasn't a novel.

I'm three episodes in and already weary of the tease.  "Can you hear it yet?"   Put up or shut up, spooky boy.

The protagonist Henry Deaver isn't very sympathetic.   He seems constantly annoyed.   Meanwhile, his dad's ghost is just plain annoying.   Stick, er, I mean Pangborn, is way more interesting.

I get that Easter eggs can be amusing, but you can't build a show around them, and unfortunately so far it seems Easter eggs are the show's sole reason for existence. 

Killing off Terry O'Quinn in the first episode seems like a major mistake.

IMHO, everything produced in the last 20 years bearing Stephen King's name, whether it's his books, movies/shows based on his books, etc., has been a grand disappointment.   I fully expect Castle Rock to perpetuate that tradition. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, millennium said:

I have always regretted that Storm of the Century wasn't a novel.

I'm three episodes in and already weary of the tease.  "Can you hear it yet?"   Put up or shut up, spooky boy.

The protagonist Henry Deaver isn't very sympathetic.   He seems constantly annoyed.   Meanwhile, his dad's ghost is just plain annoying.   Stick, er, I mean Pangborn, is way more interesting.

I get that Easter eggs can be amusing, but you can't build a show around them, and unfortunately so far it seems Easter eggs are the show's sole reason for existence. 

Killing off Terry O'Quinn in the first episode seems like a major mistake.

IMHO, everything produced in the last 20 years bearing Stephen King's name, whether it's his books, movies/shows based on his books, etc., has been a grand disappointment.   I fully expect Castle Rock to perpetuate that tradition. 

I think we're meant to keep seeing him in flashbacks.

To each his own, I'm loving it and not only because of the references.

• Love 12

My hopes for the series picked up once I noticed King isn't writing it, but after three episodes it's already feeling like a grind.   I like the Jackie Torrance character and the drug dealers, they're the only ones who don't seem to have one foot in the grave already, hope they become more prominent.

Just finished episode 4.  I'm definitely hooked, very curious about The Kid, very curious about what happened during those 11 days.  And definitely felt an emotional punch at the end of this episode.

• Love 8
On 7/30/2018 at 9:09 PM, ferjy said:

Did you mean Dale Lacy (former warden)? I’m struggling to remember who Alan Levy is. 

Absolutely. I don’t know why I said Alan Levy— that’s the name of one my more talkative coworkers. Maybe he was jabbering away inside my brain even during off hours. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, topanga said:

Absolutely. I don’t know why I said Alan Levy— that’s the name of one my more talkative coworkers. Maybe he was jabbering away inside my brain even during off hours. 

Oh that's funny. Maybe you have a subconscious crush on him!  :-D

• Love 1
On 7/31/2018 at 1:08 PM, littlemommy said:

Someone dying at the "touch" of someone else is also the main theme in the short story "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands." I wonder if that's how Devil Boy kills, or if he can kill many different ways. Or if he just "shines"...but darkly.

Alan Pangborn was sheriff for Needful Things and also in The Dark Half, and I kind of hate to see him all grizzled and frayed here. He was one of the rare King heroes. Guess he and Polly Chalmers didn't make it. :P

I wondered if Devil Boy is a version of Leland Gaunt from 'Needful Things'. He was able to influence people without having to touch them even, and he was definitely evil.

• Love 3

I like this show a lot for a summer series.  Sure, at times it feels like it's almost buckling under the weight of all the many many Stephen King references,  but I'll admit at times I've also been impressed how seamlessly some of this stuff was worked into the story.  It's hitting a lot of stuff that arguably has been done to death but pieced together as a whole is giving us a Castle Rock that's every bit as rotten at its core as Derry ever was.  The look of it all is fantastic in really nailing a small New England town gone to seed, and I like how its drug problem and economic ruin is a Big Bad in its own right.

This last episode was a great slow burn of creep and things just feeling a little off right up until Dennis's big break, which I'm still undecided as to whether the kid with no name precipitated.  The show seemed to want us to notice the physical contact of their fist bump, but we really don't know if it means anything or it doesn't.  That's what's actually really working for me in this story.  Read one way, the kid in a cage is a poor stunted victim of a rogue warden who had the means to lock away an innocent over his religious hallucinations.  Dennis is just a poor guy with few good options caught up in the town's overwhelming sense of economic despair.  Or because it's King, there likely really is a whole lot of evil afoot and it's just a matter or watching it play out.  I will give the show full marks for the staging of that final rampage via the video monitors.  It was wonderfully disorienting and surreal watching him exit one screen only to enter another from an entirely different angle.

• Love 18

Well, I didn’t expect that! It’s been such a creepy steady pace so far (which I also really like), that this jumped right out at you. 

3 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I like this show a lot for a summer series.  Sure, at times it feels like it's almost buckling under the weight of all the many many Stephen King references,  but I'll admit at times I've also been impressed how seamlessly some of this stuff was worked into the story.  It's hitting a lot of stuff that arguably has been done to death but pieced together as a whole is giving us a Castle Rock that's every bit as rotten at its core as Derry ever was.  The look of it all is fantastic in really nailing a small New England town gone to seed, and I like how its drug problem and economic ruin is a Big Bad in its own right.

This last episode was a great slow burn of creep and things just feeling a little off right up until Dennis's big break, which I'm still undecided as to whether the kid with no name precipitated.  The show seemed to want us to notice the physical contact of their fist bump, but we really don't know if it means anything or it doesn't.  That's what's actually really working for me in this story.  Read one way, the kid in a cage is a poor stunted victim of a rogue warden who had the means to lock away an innocent over his religious hallucinations.  Dennis is just a poor guy with few good options caught up in the town's overwhelming sense of economic despair.  Or because it's King, there likely really is a whole lot of evil afoot and it's just a matter or watching it play out.  I will give the show full marks for the staging of that final rampage via the video monitors.  It was wonderfully disorienting and surreal watching him exit one screen only to enter another from an entirely different angle.

As soon as we saw the fist bump, I wondered what Devil Boy’s touch might instigate. I thought Dennis may put a few people in their place. Not quite so deliberately though! 

I know we’re not supposed to root for Devil Boy but I wanted to cheer in that first scene when he quoted “scripture” at sleazy ass Reeves after Reeves tried to put the fear of God into Devil Boy with the teeth story. Who’s shaken’ now, Reevie? I think he may have shat himself. Lucky for Reeves he wasn’t around in that last display. Two such shocks in one day, his heart may have given out. 

I guess Henry won’t be going anywhere now. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 9
On 7/31/2018 at 12:08 PM, littlemommy said:

I was wondering about Polly too.?

• Love 2

I'm still watching the episode, so I haven't read the posts about it yet, but I've just remembered the warden being buried in the Deaver's back garden. If that's where they were. If he killed himself, why was he buried there?

Also, how many of the actors in this were in previous Stephen King movies/TV miniseries? Maybe that should go to the small talk thread. Melanie Lynsky was in Rose Red. The boy was in It. Sissy Spacek was in Carrie. I like that they brought them in. 

On 7/31/2018 at 8:58 PM, ferjy said:

I think we're meant to keep seeing him in flashbacks.

To each his own, I'm loving it and not only because of the references.

Same. the little callbacks are small for me, but also expected. They don't infringe on the story, once you get into it (not for me, anyway). I have been disappointed by SK adaptations, and this one might be working for me because it isn't one, it's brand new. 

3 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The fist bump felt ominous, like an unintentional deal with the devil. Since Dennis saw the boy killing people on the monitors, at the end of the first episode, I wonder if the boy was showing him the future. I've wondered why he would scare the only good guy in the place. I don't know if they were all in the same places.

48 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Well, I didn’t expect that! It’s been such a creepy steady pace so far (which I also really like), that this jumped right out at you. 

As soon as we saw the fist bump, I wondered what Devil Boy’s touch might instigate. I thought Dennis may put a few people in their place. Not quite so deliberately though! 

I know we’re not supposed to root for Devil Boy but I wanted to cheer in that first scene when he quoted “scripture” at sleazy ass Reeves after Reeves tried to put the fear of God into Devil Boy with the teeth story. Who’s shaken’ now, Reevie? I think he may have shat himself. Lucky for Reeves he wasn’t around in that last display. Two such shocks in one day, his heart may have given out. 

I guess Henry won’t be going anywhere now. 

I was expecting that, but still, oh sh*t!! The guy was trying to help him, and if devil boy did that, then I don't think I want him out. I don't know. The abuse should be stopped, but using an innocent guy to kill them, and getting him shot? I don't know if he snapped by himself, or had help.

I did love his scaring that one guy at the beginning, and then just shutting the cell door himself. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Anela said:

I'm still watching the episode, so I haven't read the posts about it yet, but I've just remembered the warden being buried in the Deaver's back garden. If that's where they were. If he killed himself, why was he buried there?

Also, how many of the actors in this were in previous Stephen King movies/TV miniseries? Maybe that should go to the small talk thread. Melanie Lynsky was in Rose Red. The boy was in It. Sissy Spacek was in Carrie. I like that they brought them in. 

A lot of that was in the links people have posted here (or maybe in the small talk thread, I can't remember) about the Easter eggs. I'm not sure if it's being discussed there. I'll have to go back in and have a look. I just found out the other day that Devil Boy was Pennywise in the It remake, the movie (I haven't seen it yet). I keep thinking that Terry O'Quinn was in one, but I think I'm remembering him as the Devil in 666 Park Avenue.

• Love 1

I'm not sure if they've shown the actor who will play the reverend, Henry's father, but today we saw his face in a framed picture on the wall. It's a fairly well known actor (I remember him from Ripper Street for one), not an unknown, so we should be seeing a lot of flashbacks soon.

• Love 1
On 7/31/2018 at 6:50 PM, 17wheatthins said:

I'm loving it as well. I like looking for Easter eggs and I like slow burn. The production values are wonderful, as are the musical cues and the cinematography. All in all a very enjoyable series. 

Me too! Man, this episode was daaaaark, but so well done - especially the young guard's rampage playing out on the security monitors. I guess Devil Boy was showing him a vision of the future earlier. I'm kinda bummed he didn't make it - I was hoping he'd get to blow the whistle on the prison conditions.

I watched the end credits and realized one of my favourite movie composers, Thomas Newman, is scoring this show. Just top notch stuff all around.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ferjy said:

A lot of that was in the links people have posted here (or maybe in the small talk thread, I can't remember) about the Easter eggs. I'm not sure if it's being discussed there. I'll have to go back in and have a look. I just found out the other day that Devil Boy was Pennywise in the It remake, the movie (I haven't seen it yet). I keep thinking that Terry O'Quinn was in one, but I think I'm remembering him as the Devil in 666 Park Avenue.

Terry o’Quinn was the sheriff in Silver Bullet! He was very young and handsome in it. Gary Busey is also in that movie but I could do without a cameo from him.

Edited by littlemommy
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Agree on all your points. Terry O’Quinn is still super attractive to me, and NO THANK YOU to Gary Busey. Like ever. :-)

Aw, I liked Gary Busey back in the day. I'd forgotten that Terry O'Quinn was in Silver Bullet too.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

Me too! Man, this episode was daaaaark, but so well done - especially the young guard's rampage playing out on the security monitors. I guess Devil Boy was showing him a vision of the future earlier. I'm kinda bummed he didn't make it - I was hoping he'd get to blow the whistle on the prison conditions.

I watched the end credits and realized one of my favourite movie composers, Thomas Newman, is scoring this show. Just top notch stuff all around.

I'd forgotten about the CO's visions on the monitors. I couldn't figure out what the X's over sone of them meant before he went on his shooting spree. I kept thinking about his eight-months-pregnant wife at home. Just tragic.

One of the songs was instrumental and sounded similar to the Westworld theme, but that piece's composer isn't listed in imdb as having composed for this show. The song isn't on Tunefind, either. It was when Henry was in his Mom's house after she had gutted the fish (barf!).

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

Or planting the suggestion in his mind.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Agree on all your points. Terry O’Quinn is still super attractive to me, and NO THANK YOU to Gary Busey. Like ever. :-)

Terry O'Quinn never did anything for me in looks, but he's a good actor. Now Gary Busey I found very attractive when he was younger. Also a good actor. He was fantastic as Buddy Holly.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

I will concede as follows: late 70s-early 80s Gary Busey is great. Current Gary Busey? No thank you.    ;-D

But Terry O'Quinn has always been cute to me, even in the few minutes we've seen him so far in Castle Rock. It's probably because of his acting talent. Even with the rope around his neck, facing his own death, I found him charismatic. 

lol Did you get a bit of a twinge when Jack Sparrow was almost hanged?

94e73f2f-d2f2-4795-8d91-7a4a03d2c2d6.jpg

Is that one of your criteria for accepting dates? You'd be a hit in speed dating sessions! "Have you ever had a noose around your neck?" ;-D

Edited by ferjy
On 7/31/2018 at 5:36 PM, bilgistic said:

Here's an article from AV Club about more easter eggs.

lol... funny: "We know this new warden is trouble, and not just because her brother was in 1408." At first I thought the actress was Joan Cusack, his other sister. I haven't seen her in a while and figured she just had work done on her face. They so often are unrecognizable afterwards. Then I saw her name in the cast list as Ann Cusack. I don't think I've seen her in anything and didn't know she was their sister.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

OMG I'm dying laughing. My post did come off as somewhat....morbid? Kinky? I don't know but I apologize for the weirdness. XD

I swear I'm not a rope/hanging fetishist LOL it was just such a stunning scene; how his face softened after he saw the dog, and then became resolute again as he started to complete his intended mission. 

I wondered if that scene was a nod to another reference. Remember that Cujo was supposed to have had a demon/evil force in him, or had one talking to him (I can’t recall the exact details), that same evil force that travelled through many of King’s books (an aspect of the books I liked). When Dale Lacy softened, it’s as if he came back to himself. Then I thought the evil force in the dog egged Lacy on, like the force did to various victims in the books. It was the way his expression hardened again, as if he was set back on his mission. We’re all wondering why he killed himself. I think it may have been involuntary on his part, the evil had him set up cage kid to be freed then it had Lacy kill himself so that there would be no chance that he might stop whatever plan it had set in motion. You probably missed all that, you were busy swooning over Lacy’s decapitating himself. :-D

Edited by ferjy
2 hours ago, ferjy said:

lol... funny: "We know this new warden is trouble, and not just because her brother was in 1408." At first I thought the actress was Joan Cusack, his other sister. I haven't seen her in a while and figured she just had work done on her face. They so often are unrecognizable afterwards. Then I saw her name in the cast list as Ann Cusack. I don't think I've seen her in anything and didn't know she was their sister.

I knew she was a relative, but I couldn't remember her name. John Cusack was in Cell, as well, although I didn't get past the opening credits with that one. And Stand by Me, I think. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ferjy said:

It is a funny quip, as John Cusack is now a veteran of a few King adaptations. If they do subsequent seasons of this show, it would be neat stunt casting if he wound up in a role. I think Ann has worked mostly in episodic TV, whereas John & Joan have mostly done feature films.

• Love 1

We need a spoiler thread. Or potential spoilers. I've seen a few posts from the actors, when they were talking about the last episode, or joking about it. One person who responded

speculated that the ending wasn't real

. One of the actors

implied that he might not be dead, or might be back

Spoiler-tagged, because that kind of thing didn't occur to me. 

Or planting the suggestion in his mind.

Here's my guess about the Kid's "touch". It unlocks and enhances whatever seeds are already within that person so in that respect he is maybe more like a catalyst than straight up Evil with an evil agenda. So the bad prison cellmate who has a "cancerous" personality is abruptly riddled with real cancer. The poor, well-meaning guard was already depressed as hell about conditions and his inability to effect any change so the touch set off violent urges that would normally not have gone beyond the realm of private dark fantasy. Maybe devil boy identifies as neither good nor evil but is simply a mindless force contained in a human body.

• Love 8
On 7/29/2018 at 11:12 PM, Anela said:

I haven't read The Stand, because mum told me that it would make me ill. 

Well, IMHO, yes and no LOL ... Prefacing this with the caveat that not only is The Stand by far my favorite Stephen King book (and I'm a longtime fan), but it's one of my top 5 books of all time ... I would say that it's not as horrifically GORY as many of his other books (though it does have its share of graphic descriptions).

But, it will probably make you literally ill because I've yet to meet anyone who reads it for the first time and does not immediately think they're coming down with some awful flu. 

That said, if you are a fan of his writing, The Stand is brilliant and awesome and some of his best characters. I have not liked any of the attempts to bring it to big or small screen. Some books are best left to just be read (over and over and over). 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Guys, because I am still swooning over Lacy decapitating himself (LOL), I just wanted to let you know that if you want different threads, you can PM the lead moderator (moi) and I will do what needs to be done. :-)

Also, any other way I can help, don’t hesitate to ask. You can PM me @17wheatthins

❤️????

Okay. :)

10 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Well, IMHO, yes and no LOL ... Prefacing this with the caveat that not only is The Stand by far my favorite Stephen King book (and I'm a longtime fan), but it's one of my top 5 books of all time ... I would say that it's not as horrifically GORY as many of his other books (though it does have its share of graphic descriptions).

But, it will probably make you literally ill because I've yet to meet anyone who reads it for the first time and does not immediately think they're coming down with some awful flu. 

That said, if you are a fan of his writing, The Stand is brilliant and awesome and some of his best characters. I have not liked any of the attempts to bring it to big or small screen. Some books are best left to just be read (over and over and over). 

I might try it. She was literally feel sick (not like having the flu, though). :) That happened to me when I read Survivor Type. I was retching. Sorry, but I've never reread that one, for that reason.

7 hours ago, Anela said:

I knew she was a relative, but I couldn't remember her name. John Cusack was in Cell, as well, although I didn't get past the opening credits with that one. And Stand by Me, I think. 

I feel Iike I should watch all of the shows and movies I’ve seen again. Now that you mention it I vaguely remember John Cusak in Stand By Me. I think he was the protagonist’s brother. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

The Stand was for me an absolute joy to read. I read the unabridged version and I felt King didn’t waste one word. The imagery and the storytelling is sublime. Easily in my top five ever books also. 

My top 5 too. It’s a shame it’s one of the first (it may have been THE first) of his I read because although I enjoyed many of his other books, none held a candle to The Stand. 

I’m enjoying this show and was gaping like a slack jawed yokel the last 5 minutes. I wasn’t expecting that. I am wondering if Henry is “special” somehow and he is meant to defeat/banish Devil Boy. He’s relatively unassuming, he has a reasonable and well earned distaste for his hometown, he doesn’t seem to have much luck career wise. I can accept he may be an unlikely hero of some kind. 

I wish I can binge this but so far it’s a practice in patience for me. It reminds me of Carnivale. A slow smart burn that was totally worth the confusion until it was CANCELLED! 

But this is Stephen King material and so often the tv adaption payoffs are rarely worth it. But I have hope. 

Edited by KnopeWaffle
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Wow. I’m a huge King fan, but I always avoided this one because of its size. You are compelling me to read The Stand. Edited or unedited version?

8 hours ago, BonnieD said:

Here's my guess about the Kid's "touch". It unlocks and enhances whatever seeds are already within that person so in that respect he is maybe more like a catalyst than straight up Evil with an evil agenda. So the bad prison cellmate who has a "cancerous" personality is abruptly riddled with real cancer. The poor, well-meaning guard was already depressed as hell about conditions and his inability to effect any change so the touch set off violent urges that would normally not have gone beyond the realm of private dark fantasy. Maybe devil boy identifies as neither good nor evil but is simply a mindless force contained in a human body.

Great theory. It reminds me a little of The Green Mile (prisoner with the magic touch), but the evil version. 

• Love 3

Does anyone know what the music is playing in the scenes where the bible readers were entering the prison (Henry included) which segued to the guards taking out the dead body of Devil Boy’s roomie? In Episode 2 around the 40:30 mark. It’s such a hallucinatory tune. 

Edited by ferjy
41 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Does anyone know what the music is playing in the scenes where the bible readers were entering the prison (Henry included) which segued to the guards taking out the dead body of Devil Boy’s roomie? In Episode 2 around the 40:30 mark. It’s such a hallucinatory tune. 

Found it. Imagining the End by Dexter Britain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpCimIsq5E4