Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Finale, Part One

On 2/17/2017 at 6:11 AM, cinsays said:

What a major letdown Tieler's collection was.  Very bland, simply old-fogey styled outfits.  And I am an old lady.  But no way would I wear any of that.  And those shoes???  Wha???    I was so hoping for something totally different from him because he was such an endearing character, kind and polite and just sweet......versus.......  a strange, smug person with an off-putting personality.

I'm hoping there's a way for us to follow Tieler and hope he has success in the fashion world (and no one breaks his spirit).

• Love 5

I think/hope the thing that will help Teilor in the future is what Aya kept saying about him...he has an exceptionally high level of taste.   I agree with that 100%.  I don't think he's super innovative but there is a high-end precision to it (not sure how to say what I'm thinking!) that is way beyond most, IMO.

I think Izzy has a good chance of winning because I think she manages to combine innovation and taste.  So does Chelsea but I think Izzy might be one step ahead in the "idea" department.

I think Hawaa and Chris are in the finale because they will likely do a reasonable job and provide something on interesting on the runway for the F4, but, I don't think either will win. 

14 hours ago, awaken said:

Headscarves and green lipstick with multiple face piercings will now be in.  

Apparently the oddly colored eyebrows she's got going on are a thing in "Creative" circles. There is a chick on Face Off with smurf blue hair and green eyebrows. Her partner (they are in teams) has a different color blue hair but normal brows. She's not as creative apparently. haha WTF is with this new dayglow clown look? I bet they all think they are super creative and unique too. But they're not. It's just a trend.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:11 AM, cinsays said:

I also don't understand why they allow an outside stylist to be included.  Why could Tieler have someone else create embroidery for him?  Does that mean Molly could have had someone do her grommets? 

Sorry if someone's already responded, but he can outsource specialty work, like embroidery, but it has to be paid for out of his $4000 budget and it has to be a fair market price (not $15/pair of hand-made shoes like Kara Saun).

I'm joining the unpopular opinion crowd. The thing is, if Tieler had been allowed to advance over both Molly and Hawaa, I think that would have been a fix. His outfit was the worst and he should have been eliminated. The fact that he got a second chance meant that someone behind the scenes really wanted him over Hawaa.  I like Tieler but I didn't think he deserved a second chance with that outfit.

I didn't care for his collection with the institutional blue (which Van Gogh used a lot) and the Amish/nurse look. I don't understand why he wanted to use those shoes, they dragged his collection down. The thing is, I really like Tieler and was hoping for him to do well.

I've been cheering on Hawaa all season since she is from Minnesota, lives in the same city as my sister. I'm always curious to see what she's going to do next. I thought her collection was her best work and the structured piece was different from what she's previously done.

• Love 2
On 2/18/2017 at 2:40 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm pretty open minded about unique looks but I find Hawaa's offputting.  The eyebrows are what puts it over the top, I think.  I know heavy brows have been in for a while but when they're that heavy, much less blue, they just look like Groucho Marx.  And what teen girl wants to look like an old man comedian caricature?  The multi-colored day-glow rainbow eyeshadow is a little hard to look at, too, just from an optical perspective.  And I can't help but wonder how comfortable and practical the mid-lip piercing is.

I'm with you. 99.9% of the time I'm either ignoring how someone looks or on the "you do you, hon, piercings and funky colors included" team (I'm in my 40s and have both an abundance of (non-facial) piercings/tattoos and not-found-in-nature color hair) but something here is just a bridge too far for me.  I could probably eventually train myself to look past the multitude of facial piercings concentrated so closely together, but once I realized that looking at her from the side it appears her brows have actually been either shaved/lasered away and crayoned on, I just lost my ability to even, as the kids say. As it doesn't appear this is the result of a physical medical condition, it was at that point I diagnosed her with try-too-hard-itis. 

Given that she is an aspiring designer, all of that is actually relevant to me in that it betrays a deep wellspring of bad taste. Combined with the fact that I haven't liked any of her designs, and they appeared irritatingly poorly constructed, I found myself just overall annoyed with her persistent survival as a contestant. In other words, if history is any predictor, she'll win everything.

• Love 10

I hope it is OK to post a picture, but Tieler's embroidery reminded me of this from Saturday Night Live from a few years back:

IMG_3415.JPG

I thought some of the embroidery, especially the bees, looked like those iron-on embroidery patches you can get at Walmart.

Kidding aside, I did think the blue dress was lovely, and looks nice on that model's perfect body.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Beezella said:

I thought some of the embroidery, especially the bees, looked like those iron-on embroidery patches you can get at Walmart.

Totally agree here. It looked just like the iron on patches in a craft store.  I really think Tieler is a sweet kid (I mean, he comforted Hannah when she was crying about eliminating him instead of the other way around) and I liked some of his earlier pieces (and I've never liked Hawwa's designs, ever) but I think it was his time to go. And yeah, now we know why his name is spelled all wonky...when your name is Tahmi, of course you spell your kid's name Tieler instead of Tyler!  

I honestly don't love any of the finalists. I suppose Chelsea is my pick because I find her less irritating than the other three, and her bizarre neoprene ninja sea turtle ditzyness has somehow grown on me.  But something tells me it's Chris or Hawaa for the win because their clothes are garish and I like them the least. I never like the winners anymore.  

On 2/17/2017 at 2:29 AM, Kitty Redstone said:

I'll sit at the unpopular table with you.  Tieler is a sweet, uber-talented young man but that collection was 1980s grandma.  Seriously, I have a photo of an ancient aunt from back then wearing an embroidered blue housecoat and it looks very similar to his first look.  It's difficult to believe the same guy that designed the industrial felt coat and pants also came up with these clothes!  The simple shapes and the fact that he outsourced the embroidery really did him in.  The only way he could have won over Hawwaa with those looks is if she had done nothing but poorly sewn crop tops and circle skirts.

She pushed herself and came up with something unique, so good for her.  I kind of liked the jumpsuit and think if she had styled it differently it would have looked sophisticated.  As for the rest?  Who knows.  I agree with Christian about not really caring for her clothes but being intrigued by them and wanting to understand where they are coming from.  She's an interesting young woman and I like that she challenges beauty norms (something I've never been courageous enough to do myself!).

All of the kids this season have been great.  I very much appreciate their talent, their maturity and good sportsmanship, and their kindness towards one another.  It's wonderful to see these qualities being lived and valued, especially on a reality tv show. 

Kitty Redstone, I give you a standing slow clap for your post.  I agree with your whole post, and especially love your comment about Hawwaa challenging beauty norms.  While I am not brave enough myself to ever think of that, never mind attempt it, I applaud girls/women who are themselves and celebrate it.  Thank you for supporting women, and not expecting everyone to have to conform to the status-quo.  THANK YOU, from a Mom to teen-aged girls.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:18 AM, absolutqt said:

Tieler is such a sweet person but, bless his heart - - I think I can find all of those clothes hanging in Cracker Barrel right next to the Magic 8 Ball.

You win the internet award!!!  I was really rooting for Tieler, but your comment summed up my opinion of his collection.  While it was sewn beautifully, there was not much "runway-show" in the design.

• Love 5

And to me "Tahmi" is pronounced  "Tah" as in baa (baa black sheep) and "mee." So pretentious. I wonder if her parents named her that or she changed the spelling on her own. (Just occurred to me: I'm native to NJ so maybe it's the way I pronounce the name with my "regional" accent that is throwing it off for me. Like when I hear the other half of the country pronounce "Dawn" like "Don." :)

• Love 1
On 2/16/2017 at 11:09 PM, Canada said:

As much as it pains me to say it, Hawaa deserved to go through over Tieler.  His looks would be great for a 2 year old or a 92 year old.  No one in between those ages.  That was some matronly fug, with the fugliest of fugly shoes.  In the ugliest shades of yellow and blue.  I got serious hospital/care home vibes from his clothing and shoes.

So true!  I quoted this post in particular because it was the first one on the first page to speak the truth (as I see it, obviously YMMV), and I was starting to feel like I was in the Twilight Zone.  Later in the thread, there were several more people joining the chorus of calling Tieler's collection "fugly", but I guess the people who like that sort of thing are faster typists or something?  LOL

On 2/17/2017 at 1:49 AM, Jextella said:

Also, it seems Tim was rooting for Hawaa over Teilor.  Maybe because Teilor seemed a little overly confident?! I could be wrong here too, but that was the vibe I got.  Kinda like Tim was ready for him to leave.

Definitely.  He gave Hawaa a "go get 'em" speech that we didn't see him give Tieler, and then when he told Tieler to go clean up his space, he didn't do his usual spiel about how sick he was about it.  But then, Tieler totally (and foolishly) blew off Tim's critique.

On 2/17/2017 at 1:50 AM, GreyBunny said:

I was thinking almost the same thing and my heart was heavy because of it.  I wanted Tieler to come out with a fun, vivid, sophisticated line and win a place in the finale, but when the model came down the runway, all I could think of was a nurse wearing one of her elderly patient's housecoats.  He made old lady clothes.

Yes!  I really was flabbergasted--couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Like, "Tieler, are you punking us?  Is this some kind of avant-garde art project where you put forward the fugliest, unhippest clothing possible right at the end to see what it looks like when the judges' heads spin?"

On 2/17/2017 at 2:29 AM, Kitty Redstone said:

I'll sit at the unpopular table with you.  Tieler is a sweet, uber-talented young man but that collection was 1980s grandma.  Seriously, I have a photo of an ancient aunt from back then wearing an embroidered blue housecoat and it looks very similar to his first look.  It's difficult to believe the same guy that designed the industrial felt coat and pants also came up with these clothes!

Right??  The comments above might make it sound like I have it in for Tieler, but in fact I consider the coat and pants you're talking about (the grey ones, right?) to be, bar none, the awesomest thing I can ever remember appearing on any season of any version of PR.  It's utterly baffling that the same guy put forward this ultraconservative nothingburger.  One theory I had that I haven't seen anyone else mention is that maybe going back to his Southern small town, he felt either an explicit or implicit pressure to make something more traditional that his home town folks could wrap their minds around?  Maybe he started doing something more fashion-forward, and his mothers were horrified...or other people came over to visit and gave him a lot of shit for being so "weird".  I dunno...that's all I've got.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:11 AM, cinsays said:

I also don't understand why they allow an outside stylist to be included.  Why could Tieler have someone else create embroidery for him?

I was befuddled by this as well.  Subsequently to your comment, people have said this is allowed.  But I honestly don't understand why.  And one of the judges did comment on the fact that he outsourced the only creative part of his collection (which only made it uglier, IMO--but without it there was almost no design at all).

On 2/17/2017 at 9:53 AM, Beaner said:

Unbelievable. There's something shady going on. I'm done.

Miles really do vary, because I kept saying as I was watching that if Hawwaa didn't win in a walk, the books were cooked.  And that's despite the fact that I liked Tieler much better than Hawwaa throughout the season.  But his looks were so, SO bad, it was like a two-car drag race where one car goes off into the ditch, and the other one wins as long as it just rolls slowly across the finish line.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:10 PM, gingerormaryann said:

I think there has been some very insightful comments about Tieler's epic collapse.  His early work definitely suggested he was not just a top contender but was the prohibitive favorite to win the entire thing.  He started fading, but I chalked that up to his lack of endurance in the pressure atmosphere of the competition.  Some have it, some don't.  But what he sent down the runway in the all important final judging is a different story.  Without the constriction or perhaps guidance of a challenge, he simply went off the rails.  He definitely needed more direction but as you can see, when Tim tried to give it to him, he ignored it and even when the judges were clear about why they didn't like his mini-collection, he again ignored it, as Molly did when she got sent home.  When these kids say "this is my aesthetic, I'm sticking to it and I don't care what anyone says", you know they're not long for this contest and deservedly so.  Neither Molly or Tieler believed Tim, so his parting words showed he was not surprised by the outcomes.

Tieler also didn't seem to remember that the winning work will be featured in Seventeen and there's no way a girl in that age range would wear what he designed.  Hawwaa at least made something that had a youthful quality.  I hated the jacket but the jumpsuit was kind of cute.  You know the bar is low when kind of cute is the winner over dowdy.  I also think there is no way anyone involved with the show wanted to send Tieler home but they had no choice.

Hearting this comment was not nearly enough.  So, SO well said!  I cosign every jot and tittle.  And great point in particular about the winning looks being featured in Seventeen.  I hadn't even thought of that, but it makes the whole thing even more of a fail (which I hadn't thought possible).

I wonder if they will make sure never again to have Tim's critiques come too late to start over.  Maybe Tieler wouldn't have listened (he seemed very stubborn), but I'd like to think that if there were a few weeks to go and Tim said "Tieler, I'm sorry but this collection is DOA.  You have to start over, or you have no chance--remember, this is for Seventeen magazine!" that he might have gotten through to him.

I think you're so right that no one wanted him to go home before Fashion Week, but he came out and committed fashion suicide on the runway and left them no choice.  What were you thinking, Tieler?!?

On 2/18/2017 at 0:23 PM, Canada said:

Can any of us really look back at our teenage years and think that we looked good??

I added this quote before I got to the moderator instruction.  If there's a way to remove just one quote from the queue, I don't know what it is (it would definitely be a helpful trick).

On 2/18/2017 at 3:24 PM, dleighg said:

there was a lot of discussion early on in the season as to whether she wore the head covering for religious reasons or "just because." Since her mother also wears it, I'm leaning toward it being for religious reasons, but she has the freedom to also wear the more over-the-top makeup and piercings.

Well, and her father's name is "Muhammad".  OTOH her sister's hair was not covered.  I wondered if it's an optional thing in that family, or maybe it's not considered optional as long as you're a minor, but her sister is over 18 and stopped wearing it?

• Love 2
On 2/17/2017 at 2:02 PM, dleighg said:

I thought Tieler's pieces reminded me *exactly* of embroidered peasant shirts and dresses I remember seeing sold in tourist traps in Mexico in the 1970s (maybe they sell them still....). Nothing cool about it. I didn't hate Hawaa's at all. It was at least interesting.

and for a crossover to Top Chef, the finale in Mexico had a guest Quickfire judge (local chef) wearing a heavily embroidered shirt.