Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Judging Whitney

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Bugfrey Von said:

According to her book, parents both have a plethora of mental issues, eating disorders, suicide attempts, etc.

What???? I am fascinated to hear more about this. I can see that her mom is a whacko, but what about Dad? He seems to have made a nice living and has provided pretty well for the family. I know he spoiled the shit out of Whitney, but that doesn't constitute mental issues. Please do tell more of what Whitney said. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

What???? I am fascinated to hear more about this. I can see that her mom is a whacko, but what about Dad? He seems to have made a nice living and has provided pretty well for the family. I know he spoiled the shit out of Whitney, but that doesn't constitute mental issues. Please do tell more of what Whitney said. 

Yeah, I would like to hear more about this too! This changes my view of Whitney's childhood home life. I could see how even though Glenn doesn't seem to have any outward mental issues, dealing with a parent who kowtows to the more aggressive parent can be just as emotionally harmful. If Babs was truly emotionally abusive, then it would explain why Glenn spoiled Whitney so much, and his inability to stand up to Babs would add to Whitney's feelings of not being worthy/loved by her parents.

But obviously, that's all speculation on my part.

• Love 6

Maybe Glen was quietly controlling, passive-aggressive, etc.  I'm thinking that he made the $ and kept a tight fist, and Babs was a stay at home mom, plus a Southern Belle needed to make Glen look good socially.

(Kind of reminds me of my in-laws, in that father-in-law was career air force, but Mom-in-law did everything else with the kids, moving a lot,  and houses.  MIL was an outspoken Italian woman, except when it came to FIL, then he called the shots.  Plus FIL spoiled the girls.) 

Babs may have given up when he spoiled Twit, and Twit learned how to manipulate to get what she wants.  Twit got him to co- sign on her house, which IMHO, was a very poor economic decision given her iffy TLC longevity, and, let's be real, Twit's longevity in general. But Daddy did it for Twit. She is definitely spoiled. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, zoltana said:

I'd love to know how long after the pregnancy scare was that party?  So was Lenny dating that girl while he was telling Whit that he'd be there for her?

So Whit gets knocked up and that means Lenny isn't allowed to date because a crazy woman that he knocked up and he clearly isn't into is still weirdly obsessed with him and demands his constant attention because she is a overly dramatic narcissist?

There for you means I'm not abandoning our future child and I am going to be sensitive to your physical needs because of our decision to have unprotected sex allegedly resulted in a fetus, not I can't talk to another woman because the crazy person who stalked me and is currently engaged in a completely fictitious relationship with a man who has no interest in her based on innocuous text messages might give birth to my child might get her precious feelings hurt.

• Love 6

Finally watched the episode because I'm stuck home with the flu, and I spent the whole time wanting to throw things at the tv when I wasn't dissolving tissues. So much to get annoyed with and I'm about done with Whitney's bullshit. She was just sixteen different kinds of pathetic here.

First of all, the stuff with Roy got on my nerves because he hasn't been doing anything more than acting friendly and she was not doing anything to lead her on. That Whitney read more into his actions isn't the biggest issue, as it's understandable to do that when you really like someone. It was the whining afterwards, talking about her "lacerated" heart and her relationship woes. On one hand, there were a few flashes of real honesty. Her weight is an issue because a lot of men that she would normally be attracted to are just not physically attracted to her. That's just a fact of life. The solution? Either accept that her dating pool is going to be more limited that it might be for other women, or do something to make herself more attractive to a larger number of men.

Her "party" was a sad affair and her reaction to Lenny bringing a date was ridiculous. It's understandable that a woman might feel hurt than an ex moved on rather quickly, but she had been pursuing Roy even before things ended between her and Lenny. The fact that Lenny's new girl is pretty and much thinner than Whitney must be feeding into the fear that her weight is holding her back from having the kind of relationship she wants. The delusion that everyone is attracted to her took a serous beating this week.

Then we get to the next big drama - the "performance" at the folk festival. Yes, we know that it wasn't actually part of the festival itself and the group is woefully unprepared for any kind of real performance since it's not a class that really rehearses on a consistent, regular basis. They are strictly an amateur group and that's fine so long as that's what they're being presented as. The problem is that Whitney keeps trying to showcase them (and herself) as something more and when they fall short, reacts badly. The performance was nothing spectacular. The choreography was very basic and it was obvious that the group didn't have a great grasp on it (due to the lack of consistent practice).

When the leader of the other dance group confronted Whitney about her group's shortcomings... yes, that was staged but she wasn't wrong. They are very basic and Whitney is not serving them well by not pushing them if she insists on putting them on public display. I'm curious to see how Whitney is going to respond to a real dance group that actually is what she thought her group was. It's going to be a rude awakening to have her shortcomings as a dancer and a teacher thrown in her face by someone who has no qualms calling Whitney out on her bullshit. I know that the show will try to give this rival teacher the "bitch" edit, but I can't help from rooting for someone who sees through Whitney's façade.

Next week should be very interesting...

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

Finally watched the episode because I'm stuck home with the flu, and I spent the whole time wanting to throw things at the tv when I wasn't dissolving tissues. So much to get annoyed with and I'm about done with Whitney's bullshit. She was just sixteen different kinds of pathetic here.

First of all, the stuff with Roy got on my nerves because he hasn't been doing anything more than acting friendly and she was not doing anything to lead her on. That Whitney read more into his actions isn't the biggest issue, as it's understandable to do that when you really like someone. It was the whining afterwards, talking about her "lacerated" heart and her relationship woes. On one hand, there were a few flashes of real honesty. Her weight is an issue because a lot of men that she would normally be attracted to are just not physically attracted to her. That's just a fact of life. The solution? Either accept that her dating pool is going to be more limited that it might be for other women, or do something to make herself more attractive to a larger number of men.

Her "party" was a sad affair and her reaction to Lenny bringing a date was ridiculous. It's understandable that a woman might feel hurt than an ex moved on rather quickly, but she had been pursuing Roy even before things ended between her and Lenny. The fact that Lenny's new girl is pretty and much thinner than Whitney must be feeding into the fear that her weight is holding her back from having the kind of relationship she wants. The delusion that everyone is attracted to her took a serous beating this week.

Then we get to the next big drama - the "performance" at the folk festival. Yes, we know that it wasn't actually part of the festival itself and the group is woefully unprepared for any kind of real performance since it's not a class that really rehearses on a consistent, regular basis. They are strictly an amateur group and that's fine so long as that's what they're being presented as. The problem is that Whitney keeps trying to showcase them (and herself) as something more and when they fall short, reacts badly. The performance was nothing spectacular. The choreography was very basic and it was obvious that the group didn't have a great grasp on it (due to the lack of consistent practice).

When the leader of the other dance group confronted Whitney about her group's shortcomings... yes, that was staged but she wasn't wrong. They are very basic and Whitney is not serving them well by not pushing them if she insists on putting them on public display. I'm curious to see how Whitney is going to respond to a real dance group that actually is what she thought her group was. It's going to be a rude awakening to have her shortcomings as a dancer and a teacher thrown in her face by someone who has no qualms calling Whitney out on her bullshit. I know that the show will try to give this rival teacher the "bitch" edit, but I can't help from rooting for someone who sees through Whitney's façade.

Next week should be very interesting...

This. How Whitney sees herself is maddening. Physically she cannot be the dancer she sees herself as. And I laughed at the preview where she's like, "My knees are bad" or whatever she said when she couldn't get low. She ALWAYS has an excuse--and maybe they're legit ones but there's your clue, Whitney: You can't do much because you're so heavy. Willing to bet if she lost even 150 lb from her 370 lb she'd be doing a hell of a lot more. 

But I've given up on that at this point. Right now defensive whining and calling the better dancers bitches is way more entertaining. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

This. How Whitney sees herself is maddening. Physically she cannot be the dancer she sees herself as. And I laughed at the preview where she's like, "My knees are bad" or whatever she said when she couldn't get low. She ALWAYS has an excuse--and maybe they're legit ones but there's your clue, Whitney: You can't do much because you're so heavy. Willing to bet if she lost even 150 lb from her 370 lb she'd be doing a hell of a lot more.

Indeed. She has said in the past "I love being fat," but even if she enjoys having some extra pounds, she could be a plump 200 lb and have almost no physical troubles as a result. She certainly wouldn't be whining that she can't shave her own legs, shower, or get onto the floor.

• Love 7

I agree, Clarewalks!

At this stage of her life,  maybe Twit should self-correct, and proclaim that she loves being obese, or morbidly obese, (cuz she's way past fat).  

Doesn't sound so good,  does it,  Twit?

But if Twit lost a hundred (again),  or 200 lbs., then she would be healthier,  and probably be able to create a new long lasting  career as a speaker, blogger, or as a real dancer who can actually move around the stage.  Got to think long term. 

I wonder what she does all day. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, zoltana said:

I'd love to know how long after the pregnancy scare was that party?  So was Lenny dating that girl while he was telling Whit that he'd be there for her?  Was that a statement from him that hey, you can stop coming up with reasons to keep me around?  Was that girl just at he TLC offices one day when Lenny went by for a meeting and he said, hey? wanna go to a party and tick Whit off?

Apparently the time stamp on the ultrasound was August 29. The fake "folk festival performance" was filmed sun sept 11 and the party was that weakend too not sure if it was sat or sun. Roy and Maney talked about it on the radio Monday morning. I actually found that Jana girl on facebook during the weekned leading up to this episode cuz after seeing that promo 100x i was curious. But she deleted her facebook sometime sunday night/monday morning. I thought it was hilarious she was mad.  I mean come on you invited your delusional crush (who was there btw, tlc completely left that out)  

• Love 3

Oh, don't worry too much about the character named Jana, Lenny's "girlfriend".  I doubt she's anymore real than Lenny is (Nathaniel!).  They are both playing parts, and Twit knows the script.  Remember how the camera was able to pull in for that glorious side-eye shade she sent Jana?  I could almost see it being filmed ("Okay Whitney - now when "Lenny" and "Jana" come in, please be seated on that couch.  Don't smile.  Give us a look of disbelief.  Okay, now everyone stop.  We have to reposition the camera so we can get a close up on Whitney's face.  Okay Whitney - we've got the focus on you.  Now I want you to do a little side-eye glare to your right.  We'll splice it in later to make it look like you're glaring at Jana.  Okay everyone - break's over.  Back to your marks and let's have a wide shot of this rockin' party.  I know you're tired, but we needs lots of film in order to have enough to put together for this episode.")

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Ocean Chick said:

Oh, don't worry too much about the character named Jana, Lenny's "girlfriend".  I doubt she's anymore real than Lenny is (Nathaniel!).  They are both playing parts, and Twit knows the script.  Remember how the camera was able to pull in for that glorious side-eye shade she sent Jana?  I could almost see it being filmed ("Okay Whitney - now when "Lenny" and "Jana" come in, please be seated on that couch.  Don't smile.  Give us a look of disbelief.  Okay, now everyone stop.  We have to reposition the camera so we can get a close up on Whitney's face.  Okay Whitney - we've got the focus on you.  Now I want you to do a little side-eye glare to your right.  We'll splice it in later to make it look like you're glaring at Jana.  Okay everyone - break's over.  Back to your marks and let's have a wide shot of this rockin' party.  I know you're tired, but we needs lots of film in order to have enough to put together for this episode.")

Oh I have no doubt she is just a "character" esp since she was friends with the whole crew on facebook esp with Whitney. Why would you friend your ex's new squeeze???? 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Pachengala said:

You're probably right on the ghostwriter, but he/she does a really good job of conveying Whitney's 'voice,' as book-Whitney is exactly as entitled, whiny, and supremely unaccountable as real-life Whitney. The book really captures her unique ability to be both the sad victim of haters' scorn and the object of everyone's love and obsession all at once. Such an enigma [/eyeroll]. 

Yeah, it was an interesting conundrum. The vitriol that she evokes in people is astonishing, yet such an inspiration! I still think that she is WORLDS more charming in the book than she is on the show, but that isn't saying much. I have always maintained that the producers on this show hate her with the passion of 1000 suns, what with the camera angles, sound effects, and baby elephant walking music whenever she's in ambulation. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

Yeah, I would like to hear more about this too! This changes my view of Whitney's childhood home life. I could see how even though Glenn doesn't seem to have any outward mental issues, dealing with a parent who kowtows to the more aggressive parent can be just as emotionally harmful. If Babs was truly emotionally abusive, then it would explain why Glenn spoiled Whitney so much, and his inability to stand up to Babs would add to Whitney's feelings of not being worthy/loved by her parents.

But obviously, that's all speculation on my part.

In a nutshell, her mom attempted suicide but didn't go through with it bc Whit was due back home and she'd be the one to find her. Good for Babs for dealing with her depression head on, mental illness is no joke - but I don't know that it was Whit story to tell. Makes it all about her, somehow.  Glenn starved himself to "shrink" is stomach and make eating less easier, openly rallied for Whitney's anorexic diet plan (650 calorie day). Basically, her parents both struggled with some serious food issues and turned a blind eye to her increasingly self-destructive food behaviors. 

• Love 2
On 2/18/2017 at 0:07 PM, Brooklynista said:

Even that was heavily edited. My money says even with the many pauses she couldn't pull that video off again.

I remember being semi-impressed only in that she was better than some other internet-famous fat dancers, which was refreshing. But there were definite, multiple cuts showing she couldn't do the whole dance in one take.

I'm surprised Whitney hasn't decided to do weight loss surgery as a storyline. It gets paid for, the needed skin surgery would be paid for, she gets money during recovery and staying at home, sessions with Will (once she is physically able) would be paid for. And it would be so much more interesting (and potentially much more real) than what we are seeing now. 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, DoctorWhovian said:

I'm surprised Whitney hasn't decided to do weight loss surgery as a storyline. It gets paid for, the needed skin surgery would be paid for, she gets money during recovery and staying at home, sessions with Will (once she is physically able) would be paid for. And it would be so much more interesting (and potentially much more real) than what we are seeing now. 

She isn't going to go down that road yet because she is still in denial that her weight is a problem. She's pushing the No BS movement not because she cares that other people are getting harassed but because SHE is. She is still totally sensitive to any referral to her weight being a problem. There is no way she'll do weight loss surgery until she can admit to herself that her life is NOT fabulous and that her weight is causing problems. 

• Love 4

Yeah, she's still claiming that she doesn't overeat. The surgery is essentially to cure overeating, so getting it would mean admitting she eats too much, which god knows isn't Whitney's issue. It's all PCOS, people! PCOS *alone* made Whitney house about 250 lb of excess blubber!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, she's still claiming that she doesn't overeat. The surgery is essentially to cure overeating, so getting it would mean admitting she eats too much, which god knows isn't Whitney's issue. It's all PCOS, people! PCOS *alone* made Whitney house about 250 lb of excess blubber!

Don't worry, in 10 years when she does get the surgery, she'll wish she did it 10 years earlier.  The surgery is inevitable.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

And even though the PCOS made her fat, it's not like the fat is causing any problems. I mean, come on people. Even skinny people have heart attacks and stuff! 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

And what the hell was the "he's never even been to New York" about? At what point did visiting it become the public's explicit rite of passage into manhood?

because Whit is a well travelled individual and can't fathom people haven't been outside their home state.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AmyB said:

because Whit is a well travelled individual and can't fathom people haven't been outside their home state.  

To be fair, you can have extensive travel experience and still not have been to NYC. I had worked as a travel writer in Europe and updated guidebooks for 8 countries before I visited New York. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 5

Soooo.... her comment to Babs that it's her weight that is keeping her single and if she were skinny, she would definitely not be single. As it's been mentioned up thread, yes, at that weight the pool of men attracted to that or willing to look past that is a small one. Accept that and find your fella from that group or lose enough weight to appeal to more men. I have colleague who is Twit's size and she has a wonderful husband who adores her. So it's not just the weight. But then Twit has also complained about men who prefer a larger woman. She body shames and just outright shames herself. ... anyway, I wonder if she is afraid that maybe it isn't ALL about the weight. Maybe she loses weight...maybe she even gets thin and STILL no one is after her. Cuz... stellar personality there. Not. I think the narcissistic tendencies may be hiding a really low sense of self. Sadly, her obnoxious behavior is just going to drive people away and reinforce the low self image.

7 minutes ago, AmyB said:

And where, exactly, has SHE been?? A year teaching English in Korea is cool, but does not = well-traveled. Having been to NYC doesn't either. It means you've been to NYC.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Maggienolia said:

And where, exactly, has SHE been?? A year teaching English in Korea is cool, but does not = well-traveled. Having been to NYC doesn't either. It means you've been to NYC.

I was thinking that myself. And wondering how the conclusion that he hasn't been out of his state just because he hasn't been to NYC was drawn. 

• Love 1
On 2/21/2017 at 10:06 PM, mamadrama said:

I was thinking that myself. And wondering how the conclusion that he hasn't been out of his state just because he hasn't been to NYC was drawn. 

The only conclusion I read was that Whitney can't fathom that there are some people who have never been beyond their own state, not that Roy had never been out of his state.

When Whit and her barnacles were chatting at her party, I could clearly hear other voices, conversations, and laughter in the background, so it doesn't surprise me that more people were there than was shown. I get that some people don't want to be filmed and put on television, but why fake the "Roy didn't come/didn't answer her text" scenario Are they that desperate for storylines? 

Whitney  kills me with her straight-faced lies about being invited to perform at the Folk Festival. There's nothing real about this show. 

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, Tosia said:

I wonder what she does all day.

I think its pretty obvious, she has lunch/dinner and snack dates with her rotating Pizza delivery guys.  A couple liters of cola, a box of twinkies, she's all set for a few hours.   From the look of things "Boo Bear joins her (when he's not passed out on the couch), I'm guessing he's home all day as well.  I can't guess about the other "mysterious" roomy (Donna?) not sure if she has a real job (massage therapist?).  It seems fairly obvious, except for that cameo in Twit's bedroom, that she doesn't want to be part of this train wreck of a show.