Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Chapter Fifty-Three

Jane and Michael are both feeling the pressure - Jane with turning in the perfect novel and Michael with passing his upcoming test. Jane and Rafael become concerned over Mateo's development when they learn that other children his age are more advanced. Rogelio invites everyone to the last day of filming for his telenovela, but he is not pleased with the ending. After watching Xo and Rogelio's interaction, Darci begins to question her and Rogelio's potential relationship. Meanwhile, Rafael is upset when he learns what Petra is up to, but she explains that she is protecting him once again.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

So, Jane/Michael have their first major fight as a married couple. Michael is at one of his worst moments in the series, and Jane's definitely not perfect in some of those scenes either. But the fact that they talk it out, work it out, and Michael apologizes and accepts that he started it just goes to show how perfect they really are as a couple. They're going to have their ups and downs and it's not going to be pretty. But if they can work it out, then that's all that matters.

But narrator? Stop hinting at unfortunate circumstances with them. I'm not happy with any thoughts of Jane/Michael ending. 

Bye, Catalina! Don't let the Uber hit you on the way out! She's just too shady to be trusted. Even if she did show some signs of redemption with Rafael and they ended up having cute scenes, I think that she'll always be untrustworthy for me.

Rafael/Petra's scenes were gold. I really liked how Rafael finally realized how messed up Petra was from her trauma, and that he actually got her help.

Ah, great. Scott and Anezka get married, he has Rafael's father's will, and he apparently will set bad things in motion. 

Darci/Rogelio are great together. I'm going to be sad when they break up. 

I loved the Alba/Jane moment about her book. That was sweet. 

• Love 6

Dear Catalina,

Do not show up to any sort of class for the express purpose of talking to someone during class. That is so fucking rude to the instructor and to everyone else who is in class. If this is where you have stalked your prey, at least wait until after class is over to start talking loudly and insisting on having a conversation. If I had any doubts that you are a selfish asshole before now, they're gone.

Sincerely,
People Who Go to Class Because They Are Interested in the Actual Class, Not Hearing About Your Personal Life

• Love 7
(edited)

Awwww, I will miss the craziness of Tiago's storylines and costumes!

I know people react to stress differently, but I put a good portion of the blame on Michael. When your spouse/partner expresses her concern or stress, don't yell at her. If you are trying to study and you think the printer is too loud, take a ten minute break or go study in a room that doesn't have a printer.

I know that he has a time constraint so this career change was unplanned, but deciding to take the LSAT in two weeks is really short notice. I would love to hear about this prep course he signed up for that will be able to help in in that amount of time. Most LSAT prep courses consist of multiple sessions and multiple practice exams. Does he really have the time to take a self-paced 70 hour online course AND take the practice test several times in two short weeks? The in person classes are spread out over a few months (Kaplan's are ten weeks, Princeton Review's are three months) so he wouldn't have time to do that.

I'm glad the worked through their first real fight since they got married, but it would be nice if they realize they shouldn't be yelling at each other in front of Matteo.

As for camping, you can appreciate the wide open sky by putting a blanket on the ground in your yard or at a park. Then you can still go inside to use the bathroom or to sleep somewhere that isn't the ground!

Maybe I've watched too many soap operas, but why would Rafael voluntarily hand over the addendum to a lawyer?

Thank goodness Catalina is finally gone! Even though she finally showed that she has a tiny bit of a conscience, she has overstayed her welcome on my tv.

Even if it seems hokey, I'm glad that they are showing Petra's recent actions are due to freaking out over the fact that she was paralyzed by her own sister. Yes, Petra is tough, but that was torturous for her, so I don't blame her for not even trusting herself anymore.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know people react to stress differently, but I put a good portion of the blame on Michael. When your spouse/partner expresses her concern or stress, don't yell at her. If you are trying to study and you think the printer is too loud, take a ten minute break or go study in a room that doesn't have a printer.

I know that he has a time constraint so this career change was unplanned, but deciding to take the LSAT in two weeks is really short notice. I would love to hear about this prep course he signed up for that will be able to help in in that amount of time. Most LSAT prep courses consist of multiple sessions and multiple practice exams. Does he really have the time to take a self-paced 70 hour online course AND take the practice test several times in two short weeks? The in person classes are spread out over a few months (Kaplan's are ten weeks, Princeton Review's are three months) so he wouldn't have time to do that.

I'm glad the worked through their first real fight since they got married, but it would be nice if they realize they shouldn't be yelling at each other in front of Matteo.

Agreed. I still Michael and that'll never change (most likely), but he is fully to blame for the fight that transpired. He freaked out, yelled at Jane when it wasn't about Jane, and kept passive aggressively yelling at her. And it all escalated when they were yelling in front of Mateo (although we did get the cutest reactions out of him; his side eye in one shot was hilarious) so that ended up being pretty bad. I still am not sure about Michael becoming a lawyer; clearly it's just causing more stress than it's worth, and it feels like an on the whim decision. I don't think it would have been the worst idea to take a couple of months to figure out his next steps, especially since he does have a severance package for six months. 

(edited)

I hate when people assume that being a lawyer means goimg to court because there are types of law you can practice that require little to no court time. But Michael seemed to think he would be going to court and being active (as opposed to sitting at a desk, his reason for rejecting several other potential career paths). If his (admittedly uncharacteristic*) behavior in this episode is an indication of what he will be like under pressure, maybe being any kind of lawyer who goes to court is not ideal for him.

* Michael was able to keep his cool when he was undercover and lives were at stake so it seems out of character for him to freak out under pressure now. Different circumstances, I know, but still. 

• Love 1

Law school sounds like a horrible fit for Michael. He hated desk work, he doesn't test well, and he wants excitement. What the hell is he thinking?

He wasn't right to blow up at Jane, but I completely understand why he did. If you're going to use the printer all day, say so, and I'll find a different room to do my work in. But if someone keeps saying, "This will be the last time," and does it over and over again, I'll lose it, too.

• Love 8

I could understand Michael and Jane in their fight. Especially when Jane was using that printer over and over. I can see how Michael would lose it. On the other hand, he was wrong to take out his stress on Jane. They made up and had an actual conversation afterwards though, so it seem like things are ok in Michael and Jane land. Please don't screw with them, show! Even fighting I love them.

Bye bye Catalina. She might have not been a totally awful person, but she is still shady as hell. We have enough shady people already on this show, we don't need Jane's shady relatives show up! I also loved how incensed the narrator was about Catalina taking Petra's watch. Bye weirdo!

Speaking of Petra, so it looks like she is turning back to the side of good? Or at least the side of Rafael? There are so many factions and scheming's and in all of this, its hard to keep track sometimes! I can really understand Petra's behavior right now. It was a really messed up thing that happened to her, and she still needs to process that. Also, I loved the flashes of all of Petra's rich significant others when she was talking to Catalina, complete with country appropriate dollar bills! Oh Petra.

I will so miss Tiago and its bizarre plots and wonderful costumes. I like Rogelio and Darci, and I hope they work for awhile. I'm so used to seeing her on the One Day at a Time remake, so its funny to see her here too!

I'm just so glad that the show has finally acknowledged that Petra has experienced a horrendous trauma. They put her behaviour in a context somewhat and hopefully this means that her character is back on track.

Nothing about Michael's career change makes much sense. And I don't really see what the point of bringing Catalina in (assuming she won't be back) was, but whatever.

Are we officially done with the whole Sin Rostro/Mutter/Derek/etc. thing? I don't remember a clear resolution. The whole storyline was definitely becoming a drag and I don't really miss it, it's just that I don't want them to randomly reintroduce it at some point. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Law school sounds like a horrible fit for Michael. He hated desk work, he doesn't test well, and he wants excitement. What the hell is he thinking?

Agreed.  I would have thought maybe doing something like being a private detective would be more up his alley.

• Love 1

It probably wasn't the intention, but the longer Rogelio and Xiomara are separated, the less I want them to get back together. I'm liking them with Darci and Bruce quite a bit, actually, and to me they now feel like siblings more than anything. I wish the show would be brave enough to accept that their moment maybe has passed. 

I'm tired of characters suddenly appearing and taking a lot of screen time, without seemingly having a place in the grand scheme of things. Rafael's brother, Michael's ex-girlfriend and now Catalina. For a show that used to be so incredibly well put together, it sure does tend to occur more and more often and it's annoying. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joana said:

It probably wasn't the intention, but the longer Rogelio and Xiomara are separated, the less I want them to get back together. I'm liking them with Darci and Bruce quite a bit, actually, and to me they now feel like siblings more than anything. I wish the show would be brave enough to accept that their moment maybe has passed. 

There have been a couple of times now in this series where I've thought the same thing. Even Rogelio with Dina was a pairing that I had rooted for more than Xo/Rogelio. I'm still warming up to Xo/Bruce (I do think she needs to find a man separate from her rocky past), but Darci/Rogelio is a pairing that I'm actively rooting for now. I don't want Xo to get in the way, but I also still like how close her and Rogelio can be without it being really romantic. I was hoping for the show to come to the same conclusion that going back to your past isn't always needed. 

• Love 5

Though I thought it was a good episode, I'm so full of stress this week that watching the show wasn't exactly relaxing. I am impressed, however, that they didn't go to eating as a de-stressor (my typical go-to), or drinking, for that matter.

I am happy that Petra is coming back to herself - and that her reasons for bugging Raphael's place made sense, and that she was so concerned about her daughters.

I loved the "rip off of Quantum Leap" quip Rogelio made.

• Love 3

I totally think Scott will be dead before the season is over. I love a good murder mystery and he is setting himself up for a fall. Or maybe Anezka will accidentally kill him and frame Petra or something. Either way, I don't see him having a long shelf life.

And I agree that Abuela needs to get with the gift shop guy. She's been sidelined a bit lately, so I want her front and center. I'd rather see her drama than Xo/Bruce.

• Love 1

Still not liking Ro with Darcy. And Xo with Bruce. Nope. Although Ro gave us some good stuff with Tiago and all of the "CUT!". And let's not forget. Emotional Boner. Emoner. LOL!!!

Jane and Michael - I couldn't really understand why Michael was so stressed out. Sure he wants to do well and have a career and all... But this whole thing seemed so out of character for him. It's Jane who freaks out about the what ifs, it's Jane who goes to worse case scenario. Not Michael. He was able to keep his cool while undercover as a cop - why can't he keep his cool for a test? Don't get it. 

Mr Sweetface is SO. FREAKING. CUTE. SO. FREAKING. CUTE!!!!!!!!!

Rafael/Catalina/Petra - I hope Catalina helping Rafael and Petra admitting how she feels after being paralyzed is all for real. I was expecting a reveal that the two women worked together to screw over Rafael. Sweet how Rafael is trying to help Petra.

Scott and Aneska... Nothing good will come out of this... Although I secretly find them cute together.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bouffe said:

He was able to keep his cool while undercover as a cop - why can't he keep his cool for a test? Don't get it. 

Some people, and Michael said he is one of those, freeze up with tests, even when they know their stuff. My father's subordinate in the military was like that, and couldn't get a promotion because he couldn't manage the tests. So they made an exception and gave him and oral and practical exam instead -he passed with flying colors.

13 hours ago, Joana said:

I'm tired of characters suddenly appearing and taking a lot of screen time, without seemingly having a place in the grand scheme of things. Rafael's brother, Michael's ex-girlfriend and now Catalina. For a show that used to be so incredibly well put together, it sure does tend to occur more and more often and it's annoying. 

It's something that has annoyed me from the first season. Michael's brother was kind of like that.  He showed up, hinted at a murkier past for Michael and then disappeared.  Milos served a purpose the first time he showed up but the marriage to Petra went nowhere.  They're still married, right? Even Lachlan never quite fulfilled some stories he started like buying that land that Petra and Raf wanted to buy.

On 1/31/2017 at 1:04 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Michael was able to keep his cool when he was undercover and lives were at stake so it seems out of character for him to freak out under pressure now. Different circumstances, I know, but still. 

The way he was procrastinating on studying makes me wonder if he isn't as sure about his choice.  But staying cool undercover can be a different stress than failing and having to do something again and again.

I like Darci.  I can deal with her and Rogelio.  But Xo and Bruce don't work for me.  I hold a grudge about Bruce.  And I'm not quite over wanting Xo and Rogelio but this episode I very much thought I didn't want them to go much any further with Darci and Rogelio if they did intend to reunite Rogelio and Xo.  So I'm certainly leaning in a direction away from Ro and Xo.   

Was Rafael going to probate that will just because it was the right thing to do?  I didn't quite get his motivation there.   

I missed a lot of season 2 so I apparently I missed out on some fun Tiago craziness.   One of these days I should go back and catch up there.

13 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Was Rafael going to probate that will just because it was the right thing to do?  I didn't quite get his motivation there.  

I think he has sort of been in reevaluating his life mode since he learned that he wasn't a Solano.  A lot of what drove him was his relationship with his father and he seems to be taking another look at it.  What I don't get is why this addendum was just lying around and not with the rest of Emilio's will.   It's not like he's poor.  He did have an official will with a lawyer so wouldn't any changes he decided to make be there?

15 hours ago, Karen885 said:

Is it normal to have a law school interview before you take the LSAT?

Definitely not. It's very rare for a law school to require interviews, period.

We can fanwank it by saying he requested an interview with someone at the law school, to help him figure out if law school is the right fit. But that would be putting more thought into it than the writers did.

• Love 1

He wasn't right to blow up at Jane, but I completely understand why he did. If you're going to use the printer all day, say so, and I'll find a different room to do my work in. But if someone keeps saying, "This will be the last time," and does it over and over again, I'll lose it, too.

And not only that but she's used the printer at the Marbella (which is quieter AND faster) plenty of times for other personal shit. That printer was mad loud. I don't excuse Janes behavior either. There are times when she just explodes on ppl, and then we r just supposed to accept it because, what? She's the titular character? No! Your behavior is uncalled for.

Why rush into another position? Isn't Jane all about planning? And if you KNOW Michael isn't a good test taker, take three months to prepare. It's always a double standard for Jane. I bet you all my money (not much but still) that if Raf was to make rash decisions, Jane would be al judgey with him and not even let him speak his part.

That was actually a really amazing episode. Petra's breakdown really got to me and I finally understood where the character's been coming from: that her actions haven't been rational because she's so traumatised. And I thought the Catalina plotline was actually resolved well. She's a bit of a con artist but not such a bad person overall. I could have done without Scott and Anecska but I suppose there has to be a source of tension coming from somewhere.