Type keyword(s) to search

B&B : How Long Have You Watched?

• Start Topic

I grew up with a mom who was a soap addict. I remember "The Edge of Night" and "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing." She also watched "As the World Turns" and 'The Guiding Light." She also watched "Another World."  My dad, who was self-employed, came home for lunch every day to watch ATWT.  Oddly, when the two late morning CBS shows ended, she never got into Y&R or B&B. I vaguely remember Meg Ryan and Julianne Moore on ATWT.

• Love 1

Coincidentally, Meg Synder was married to Paul Ryan for a while and the show went out of their way to avoid calling her Meg Ryan. Hehe.

I've heard the real Meg Ryan likes to downplay her soap roots, which is a shame tbh. I mean, her character is still remembered by fans. Its not like she was Shailene Woodley whose big T.V. gig was Secret Life of the American Teenager. Compared to the many others that were proud yo be apart of their soaps...sigh.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 1

I like that Julianne Moore isn't ashamed of her soap roots. And that she came back towards the end of ATWT for...was it the end, or for some anniversary that happened a few years before it was canceled? Either way, that was nice of her.

• Love 3

Been watching since day one and have stayed a loyal Brooke fan despite even her worst offenses lol And I've always thought Katherine Kelly Lang was an underrated actress. 

I've also liked Bridget (with Ashley Jones being my favorite in the role), Hope, Ivy, and Maya. 

• Love 3
On 3/24/2017 at 6:39 PM, Anna Yolei said:

My mom was predominantly a Y&R fan, and one of the viewers who came to B&B after Sheila and Lauren did. She largely had checked out after Sheila took off with Mary,  which is coincidentally when I finally started following the show! :p

GL was dropped from the Sacramento market well before it's cancellation so I never saw that one, but ATWT was largely a show I watched because it happened to follow B&B. It was the Jentitled Jennifer/Gwen baby story that got me watching on it's own merits. 

It's weird but the very few time I watch a non-CBS serial, I feel like I'm cheating ?? I have no life, lol.

I don't really feel like I'm cheating anymore (I did at first though)

Back in September 2007 I ran across GH on Soapnet at 3am and got hooked. I hated GL by then. So, I started watching GH at 3. Then, a few months later I got fed up with ATWT and switched to OLTL.

Y&R and B&B both were screwed up on my affiliate and not on at 1/1:30 (here it's always been Y&R at 9. Day behind...until now they show it at 1 since ABC cancelled AMC) B&B day behind (used to be at 12:30, now on at 10:30) So, I didn't have to give up one of them to watch AMC. Ha. Got mom into the ABC ones too. :)

GL was never shown a day behind here..But, it used to be on at 3pm instead of 10am like it was everywhere else.

• Love 1
On 3/27/2017 at 9:03 PM, Anna Yolei said:

I've heard the real Meg Ryan likes to downplay her soap roots

I have the You've Got Mail DVD, and there's an extra showing the brief biographies for the stars of the movie with their acting experience.  Meg Ryan's doesn't even mention ATWT, which really annoys me.  Tom Hanks, however, does give all the credit in the world to Bosom Buddies, and I've always liked him for that.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:31 AM, AndySmith said:

I like that Julianne Moore isn't ashamed of her soap roots. And that she came back towards the end of ATWT

I thought that was awesome of her!  I was watching old ATWT clips on YouTube, and my goodness she was bad when she was first on, it's amazing how much she improved over time.  You see that, JMW???

On 3/28/2017 at 10:46 AM, Dream Boy said:

Been watching since day one and have stayed a loyal Brooke fan despite even her worst offenses lol And I've always thought Katherine Kelly Lang was an underrated actress. 

Same!

On 3/28/2017 at 7:04 PM, Ryan Chamberlain said:

GL was never shown a day behind here..But, it used to be on at 3pm instead of 10am like it was everywhere else.

Our schedule was Y&R 12:30-1:30, B&B 1:30-2:00, ATWT 2:00-3:00, GL 3:00-4:00 (for the longest time I watched all of them, lots to tape on the good ol' VCR!).  Toward the end, though, I remember GL changing to 10:00-11:00.

• Love 2
On 3/28/2017 at 10:46 AM, Dream Boy said:

I've also liked Bridget (with Ashley Jones being my favorite in the role), Hope, Ivy, and Maya. 

Me too. I never get tired of marveling at KKL s natural beauty either. And I'm a Straight Woman.

• Love 4

I tuned in for the first episode, to hate-watch mostly, because I was ticked off at Capitol's cancellation.

From the moment KKL's Brooke flew into the Logan living room, I was hooked. I absolutely loved her, always have, always will and had to defend her against my mother and sisters who were Caroline I and Taylor fans.

I watched the CBS line-up as well but I did watch Santa Barbara for a while and have watched Days off and on (I started around the Cruise of Deception storyline - Jack and Jennifer were my faves).

• Love 5

I gave up GL, though, when the Reva clone storyline happened, ONE Reva was MORE than enough!

True words. I gave up the show at that time too. How I hated that character. I did eventually return for the Olivia/Natalia storyline.

I have watched soaps my whole life: Y&R, The Edge of Night, Another World, GH, AMC, ATWT, Days. Oddly enough I never watched OLTL even though it was between AMC and GH - and I never recorded it either when VCR's and DVR's came along!

I have been sort of in and out with B&B. I have never really enjoyed Brooke (except with Thorne). After they broke up (for no good reason), I never found any couple on this show all that interesting ... until Ridge and Caroline II (which was broken up for no good reason).

• Love 1
22 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

From the moment KKL's Brooke flew into the Logan living room, I was hooked. I absolutely loved her, always have, always will and had to defend her against my mother and sisters who were Caroline I and Taylor fans.

LOL Being a Brooke fan is never easy! I've gotten used to having to defend our girl. The toughest times had to be the Deacon and Bill affairs. Oy! lol 

• Love 4

It's taken me YEARS to warm up to Brooke in the slightest. As in, Previously.tv has existed longer than my Brooke support. 

I think most of that had to do with when I started watching....at that point, she snd Thorne were still kinda a secret thing to prevent Steph from having another stroke and she was giving my girl Amber the business on a regular basis.

And then, after breaking up with Thorne, she went right into desperate mode with her blatant plays for a convincingly happily married Ridge. This was before I was familiar with Taylor's hypocrisy and the shit she pulled with baby Thomas, so all I saw was the sensible, confident woman...well, compared with early 2000s Brooke Forrester Forrester Forrester.

I think I got on the Brooke wagon (or at least hitched a ride) after someone posted the entire first season online and I got to see where she started at. I got to see the caring big sister, the loving daughter and the star-struck young woman. The best moment for me was when she went into mama bear mode after Caroline was attacked and the police chief was being a rude jackwagon. A woman standing up for another woman on The Bold and the Beautiful....who would have thought? ?

It made me all the more sad for the direction the show went over the years, having her chase for Ridge and more importantly, Stephanie's acceptance. 

(edited)

I can't believe I've been watching for what, over 3 years now?  I tried several times to watch before then but couldn't get into it. But after being soapless after AMC/OLTL's second cancellation I tried again. It was more or less around the time when Hope had some issues with Liam and gave the ultimatum re: meeting at the Eiffel Tower and he was 15 minutes late because Quinn pushed Ivy in the Seine. So most of the current characters and plots are still relevant. Hope is gone, Deacon is gone, Aly is dead but most of the rest is the same.

I have no doubt Rena Sofer and Scott Clifton made the transition easier. I would add TK but I've grown to hate Ridge so much I'm not sure he's much of a draw for me now. Even back then, when he was with Katie of the red ribbon, he wasn't appealing.  (CaRidge, otoh...)

ETA: I forgot to mention Sean Kanan. Not too long before I started B&B, he'd been killed off General Hospital (AGAIN) and that was kind of the end of GH for me. 

Edited by tessaray
  • Love 1

Katie and Ridge had more chemistry and fire in Friday's episode than they ever had in that low level punchline of a "relationship". Those two were cold enough to require a new unit of measurement and made Zende and Nicole look as sizzling as Brooke and Deacon by comparison.

Okay, I went too far, because Zicole have had actual moments of genuine friendship before Raya crashed in with baby rabies. But the whole agonizingly long year of Kridge was painful to sit through, for srs.

• Love 1

I recall exactly when I first started watching - It was Brooke & Ridge's first wedding (due to about a six month delay getting episodes to Australia at the time, it would've been 1995).

And the funniest thing was, even too this day the entire thing (wedding, reception, drama) - took two weeks of episodes!

I recall back in the day there was the joke about soapies being so slow with plot that cup on coffee in the scene would still be hot in six months time, but B&B has always been one to go at a faster-then-others paces - except for that wedding!

I recall KKL being gorgeous, a fight between Ric & CJ (with the kid actors that where around at the time!) and I think Taylor trying to escape from being dead/Prince's Lair)

It kinda was a hella interesting introduction to the show!

• Love 2

Nowadays, B&B is the s.l.o.w.e.s.t soap on any network. The actors recite the same lines every day for months. Check in once a month and you’ve got the plot covered.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Robert said:

a fight between Ric & CJ (with the kid actors that where around at the time!)

That I think was Macy and Thorne's wedding a few months later, since Sally wasn't at that wedding. They'd gotten in a fight about Ridge being his brother-dad, and Taylor was there putting in her two cents, so it definitely wasn't this wedding, lol

25 minutes ago, Robert said:

I recall back in the day there was the joke about soapies being so slow with plot that cup on coffee in the scene would still be hot in six months time, but B&B has always been one to go at a faster-then-others paces - except for that wedding!

I actually don't mind if an event goes a big long...I mean, it's a huge event that may have been months or years in the making, as Bridge's first wedding definitely was. They're fun and the story is still moving along to a degree (unlike today, where the story sits and putters for months)

That said, I remember the first week I started watching B&B, there was a fashion show going on for three or four days and I was NOT here for it bc I had come to see Amber! 😭🤣

• Love 1
On 3/3/2022 at 1:05 PM, Anna Yolei said:

That I think was Macy and Thorne's wedding a few months later, since Sally wasn't at that wedding. They'd gotten in a fight about Ridge being his brother-dad, and Taylor was there putting in her two cents, so it definitely wasn't this wedding, lol

I🤣

Cheers for the clarification!

It certainly was a long time ago, so I am not surprised things merged in my mind at this point!

• Love 1

Yeah, Brooke and Ridge's first wedding was on the beach, while Taylor was still in Morocco cosplaying as Princess Laila.

This scene is after the wedding:

During Thorne and Macy's second wedding, the Forrestors and Spectras are there, and that's the one where Rick and CJ have a brawl.

• Useful 1

I've watch intermittently since Day One.  There have been huge chunks of time that I missed because while B&B has its moments, when it's bad it's horrid.  I generally come back if a fan favorite comes back (Sheila, Macy), a favorite character is recast or sorased (Thorne, Ridge, Hope, Thomas, Taylor), or a new character that sounds interesting comes to LA (Sally Spectra 2.0).  Of course I always get let down by the production and writing teams who always seem to take the low road when it comes to storyline, characterization and respecting B&B's rich legacy.  Newer viewers may even be unaware of B&B's best storylines like The Battle for Belief, Brooke and Ridge's sex tape, the first years of the TOD, Macy & Thorne's initial romance, crazy Morgan DeWitt and Storm Logan's heart.

• Love 1

Speaking of Storm Logan, I have two semi rhetorical questions:

1) why did they kill him off for? William DeWry was great for the few months he was on the show and he could've been a great integral part of the cast.

2) having watched the first 300 episodes of B&B, why is this show is oddly not interested in pairing him up with anyone, apart from a brief flirtation with Caroline? I know he had a thing with Taylor but that's still another 3 years off from where I'm at and I never hear any other romances discussed. With all his family drama, I dunno how he managed to find time to squeeze a trip to Vegas in and bone Shauna 😂

38 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

Speaking of Storm Logan, I have two semi rhetorical questions:

1) why did they kill him off for? William DeWry was great for the few months he was on the show and he could've been a great integral part of the cast.

2) having watched the first 300 episodes of B&B, why is this show is oddly not interested in pairing him up with anyone, apart from a brief flirtation with Caroline? I know he had a thing with Taylor but that's still another 3 years off from where I'm at and I never hear any other romances discussed. With all his family drama, I dunno how he managed to find time to squeeze a trip to Vegas in and bone Shauna 😂

The first actors to play Storm (Ethan Wayne is the only one I can remember, aside from WDV) didn't have the three qualities necessary for soap leading men:  looks, swagger and acting talent.  Wayne had talent and looks, but absolutely no swagger.  He was milquetoast personified.  WDV on the other hand, had all 3!  He was a major find.  I thought he was destined for long term storyline on B&B when he was cast.  But, no, he was fodder for the transplant story, which I loved by the way.  But still, what a waste!

• Useful 1
On 3/11/2022 at 10:12 AM, sugarbaker design said:

The first actors to play Storm (Ethan Wayne is the only one I can remember, aside from WDV) didn't have the three qualities necessary for soap leading men:  looks, swagger and acting talent.  Wayne had talent and looks, but absolutely no swagger.  He was milquetoast personified.  WDV on the other hand, had all 3!  He was a major find.  I thought he was destined for long term storyline on B&B when he was cast.  But, no, he was fodder for the transplant story, which I loved by the way.  But still, what a waste!

He was wasted to be sure, but not just because TIIC saw fit to kill a day one legacy character. He had mad chemistry with KKL to the point that I thought he'd be better suited as anyone BUT her brother!

• Love 1

I do remember they did something with Storm when he was played by Brian Patrick Clarke briefly in the early 90s. It turned out he and Taylor went to high school together, and once reunited in LA, they started a relationship (they were engaged at one point) and then ended up in a triangle with Ridge. Which then became something of a pentagram (how apt) when Brooke and Eric became a part of it, or was that after Storm left in 1991?

I thought that Storm was ok...he definitely looked like he could be related to his sisters at the time.

• Love 1