Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E15: The Finale

• Start Topic

In her NY Times obit...

Her death was confirmed by David Brokaw, her publicist. He said she died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles of what the family described as heart failure.

“She was quite active until she started not feeling well several days ago,” Mr. Brokaw said. “It was felt that she would just bounce back from it.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/arts/television/florence-henderson-brady-bunch-dies.html

I really liked in the tour preview that Emma and Val actually danced together. The rest were so busy mugging at the camera that they were barely dancing with their partner. 

I really loved Calvin. I hope he achieves what he wants in his post-football life. 

I preferred Laurie over James, so yay. 

I hope Emma, Lindsay, and Sasha get good partners next year. I'd love to see any of those three win or, at least, make it to the finals. Artem, too. Sharna can take a turn with the token old guy. 

• Love 5

Now that several days have passed since the finale, my thoughts are:

1. Any of the top three could have won and I would have been happy.
  2. Lindsey is a good choreographer and doesn't mug as much as her bestie, Whitney.
  3. James is a surprisingly good dancer, light on his feet.  I happen to like Sharna and don't understand why people are hatin' on her.
  4. Glad that Val didn't include a lot of "floor exercise" tricks during Laurie's dances.  Just wish he didn't kiss on her quite so much during practices and after their dances and during judges remarks and while waiting for scores and ...
  5. Hope Len comes back next season ... hope Julianne doesn't.
  • Love 5

I give up; just call it Dancing with the Athletes, or Dancing with the Children, etc, etc.

Marilu Henner was a terrific dancer, but just how is someone her age to compete with a 16 year Old? It never seems quite fair to have the "token" older person who will never be able to make it through with all the athletes, and under 20 year olds.

I liked the original show when they really had to ballroom dance, not mount these big Vegas production numbers and tricks.

Let's see some real dancing, pplease! 

Marilu Henner was a terrific dancer, but just how is someone her age to compete with a 16 year Old? It never seems quite fair to have the "token" older person who will never be able to make it through with all the athletes, and under 20 year olds.

Jennifer Grey won the show at 50 and the runner up that season was 19 years old. And Donnie Osmond was 51 when he won. Marilu wasn't done in by her age, she was done in by her neuroses and inability to just relax and stop trying so hard. She had the ability and the perfect Pro to win a mirrorball with but she was so in her head, she kept screwing up during the live shows. And the more tense she was, the more tense things were between her and Derek, which also made for an uncomfortable and mismatched partnership. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 11

Question as this is my first season watching the entire season... do they usually announce that a contestant is going on the tour as they did with Laurie on the finale? Do runner ups ever your instead? I found it a little odd that they would announce she was touring with them before she actually won and felt it gave it away, do they usually do that mid finale?

1 hour ago, MissSunshine said:

Question as this is my first season watching the entire season... do they usually announce that a contestant is going on the tour as they did with Laurie on the finale? Do runner ups ever your instead? I found it a little odd that they would announce she was touring with them before she actually won and felt it gave it away, do they usually do that mid finale?

Yes they do. When Alfonso was on DWTs he announced he was doing the tour, and said a few other contestants were doing the tour that year as well.

Almost a week later, and I'm still wondering where Derek and Amber went...they were both in the opening number, then they disappeared. Perhaps the opening was pre-recorded?

The "24K Magic" number was Ryan Lochte's best dance of the season. ;-)

• Love 1

I loved Laurie and I'm happy for her, and her win was pretty much expected from Week 1. That said, I did have to don my tinfoil hat for a nanosecond when they announced she was joining the DWTS tour before they announced she won. Because advertising the tour with the season's champion is probably a lot better than with the season's first runner up.

I think the difference between Laurie and James was similar to the difference between Paige and Nyle last season. Technically, Paige was a much more proficient dancer, just as Laurie is. But what Nyle and then James were able to do was more impressive. Neither came into the competition with any expectation they'd be any good, let alone good enough to make the final 3. It's not that impressive that Paige and Laurie can dance that well. Doesn't mean neither should win, just means I'm less impressed with their ability on the dance floor.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Fliz said:

Almost a week later, and I'm still wondering where Derek and Amber went...they were both in the opening number, then they disappeared. Perhaps the opening was pre-recorded?

The "24K Magic" number was Ryan Lochte's best dance of the season. ;-)

If it was pre-recorded it was pre-recorded the same day, Derek was in several of the cast's social media from the day of the finale.

I don't know about Amber, but I really think Derek just couldn't rehearse any of the numbers so they didn't put him in them. The rest of the cast (at least the troupe) was pulling 10-12 hour days the whole week leading up to the finale, while he had a bunch of Hairspray stuff, including pre-filming that spot in the Macy's parade, and then rehearsals and filming that Disney special which involved a trip to Orlando.

Potentially he came for the opening and had to jet to another commitment? Presumably he might have also had to negotiate time off from his other projects to make time for Mark's wedding activities so he could have had to pack in more than usual before.

On 11/28/2016 at 2:50 PM, iMonrey said:

But what Nyle and then James were able to do was more impressive. Neither came into the competition with any expectation they'd be any good, let alone good enough to make the final

Except there were a lot of broad hints that Nyle would do well, there was significant hype for him joining after he just won another reality show that "defied expectations" http://www.eonline.com/news/741803/america-s-next-top-model-winner-nyle-dimarco-is-joining-dancing-with-the-stars 

When he got the first 10 of the season  there was no looking back. Very often that first 10 is indicative of someone finishing very close or at the top. The dye was cast.  And  Nyle being "sexually fluid" is an interesting euphemism, but many are well aware of a community that loves to dance, even if untrained.  Also, Marlee Matlin was the wow person for me, Nyle meh..   

People hardly heard of Indy500 champ Helio Castroneves when he danced, but Helio did like to dance his native Samba. The audience was even less knowledgeable of James Hinchcliffe, who never even thought about dance unless he got drunk at a wedding. So for me, James Hinchcliffe was the "who knew?" guy from the beginning of the series.  

Edited by RedFiat