Type keyword(s) to search

Michonne: A Weapon with a Weapon

• Start Topic

I dunno. I thought Rick kind of dug the fact that with Michonne, here is a capable woman, an EQUAL, rather than someone like Lori, who always needed protecting/rescuing. He admires Michonne on so many levels. I wouldn't have said that regarding his relationship with Lori.

Pretty sure Rick isn't intimidated by her katana wielding skills. He asked her how she got so good at it (dumb question, but still. ..) I saw that as him admiring said skills.

Agreed. In this kind of life, I don't think men have the time to sit around pondering who is wearing the pants in the relationship, if they're being emasculated, etc. Given that survival is key, I'd think you'd WANT a strong companion by your side. 

That whole situation is still fuzzy to me.  It sounds like the camp was completely over run when she got back from her run.  She told Carl she "could have stopped it, but didn't and let them turn".  They were already bit at that point.  How did she know they were high too?

This is entirely in my head, but I always pictured her walking up on them, at an overturned table, with drugs and paraphernalia strewn all over. 

• Love 4

I loved that Michonne was so happy to see Daryl.  The writers keep ignoring that these two are friends who spent a lot of time searching for the Governor.  Daryl looked a bit overwhelmed seeing her.  Like he was happy to see her(there was a small smile at the very beginning) but also overwhelmed by what was going on with him right then. And when she asks where Carol is, it's like he remembers everything that's gone down and he calls out to the person hiding in the bushes.

• Love 3

I keep trying in vain to quote different posts but it's causing a force close so I hope everyone can sort of guess at what I'm referring to.

Re Michonne's not missing what came before:  I think she was referring to the period before bonding with the group, when she honed her badass skills as a childless, friendless killing machine.  I don't believe she was talking about the big BEFORE with Mike and Andre and even Terry because acknowledging her pain of losing them showed her that she also lost herself.  That flashback showed us that the REAL Michonne was a loving and loved social, VERBAL, and very feminine person.  Carl doesn't just represent motherhood to her but Michonnehood as well.  Now she is fully engaged with this group and again she is a surrogate mother, a friend, and the door is now open for lover as well.

Re Rick having a "type" and most men not having desire for women who are equals:  Sadly I agree with this.  I once had a male cousin tell me that I didn't have a boyfriend because I read too much.  I think there is a lot of truth to this.  That said, I don't know for sure that this holds true with Rick.  If he and Lori were in nuptial bliss, then perhaps, but I always got the sense that there was a big disconnect between the two of them.  We haven't seen enough of Rick in a sexualized mode to get a sense of what truly is his type.  He married Lori, yes, but we've also seen him checking out Michonne.  It's too soon to tell, IMO.  That said, I don't think Rick needs Michonne to be less than who she is for either friendship or romance.  And as tough as she is, she NEVER competes for the pants in their current relationship.  She let's Rick be the man - that seems to be an instinct in her, so it could still work.

Re Michonne and Morgan:  I don't know about this. Morgan, last we saw, was certifiable.  We don't know how badass he is yet.  I hope that this suggestion isn't simply because of race.  That said, episode 1 Morgan seemed like a good guy so I wouldn't have any real objections to this pairing. 

Re Danai's chemistry with all things male:  She seems to have a gift.  Something about this woman causes a reaction from nearly every male character thus far.  It's there in spades with Rick, but I even see it with Daryl and Herschel and Carl.  But I REALLY felt it with Merle and the Governor.  I swear on Merle's last episode with Michonne I found myself laughing because I could honestly envision an eventual hookup between The Redneck and The Black Samauri.  And with the Guv?  Off the charts.  The tension between them left me breathless.  It wasn't sexual, but dramatic.  That scene with him over Penny was one of the most memorable in the show for me for both of them.  It was the ONLY scene where David M revealed the totality of the Governor's psyche - from his pain and desperation over Penny to his utter murderous ruthlessness.  To even the rage he kept on the back burner that had her name on it.  When he said, "I want Michonne" to Rick, it was chilling.  And her never ending search for him.  And the way he used her sword to kill Herschel and the way she put her sword through him.  They were obsessed with each other.  A bona fide couple bonded in hatred.  But that all worked because of the chemistry between the two actors.  Danai's chemistry with her male colleague.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 2

I keep trying in vain to quote different posts but it's causing a force close so I hope everyone can sort of guess at what I'm referring to.

Re Michonne's not missing what came before:  I think she was referring to the period before bonding with the group, when she honed her badass skills as a childless, friendless killing machine.  I don't believe she was talking about the big BEFORE with Mike and Andre and even Terry because acknowledging her pain of losing them showed her that she also lost herself.  That flashback showed us that the REAL Michonne was a loving and loved social, VERBAL, and very feminine person.  Carl doesn't just represent motherhood to her but Michonnehood as well.  Now she is fully engaged with this group and again she is a surrogate mother, a friend, and the door is now open for lover as well.

Re Rick having a "type" and most men not having desire for women who are equals:  Sadly I agree with this.  I once had a male cousin tell me that I didn't have a boyfriend because I read too much.  I think there is a lot of truth to this.  That said, I don't know for sure that this holds true with Rick.  If he and Lori were in nuptial bliss, then perhaps, but I always got the sense that there was a big disconnect between the two of them.  We haven't seen enough of Rick in a sexualized mode to get a sense of what truly is his type.  He married Lori, yes, but we've also seen him checking out Michonne.  It's too soon to tell, IMO.  That said, I don't think Rick needs Michonne to be less than who she is for either friendship or romance.  And as tough as she is, she NEVER competes for the pants in their current relationship.  She let's Rick be the man - that seems to be an instinct in her, so it could still work.

Re Michonne and Morgan:  I don't know about this. Morgan, last we saw, was certifiable.  We don't know how badass he is yet.  I hope that this suggestion isn't simply because of race.  That said, episode 1 Morgan seemed like a good guy so I wouldn't have any real objections to this pairing. 

Re Danai's chemistry with all things male:  She seems to have a gift.  Something about this woman causes a reaction from nearly every male character thus far.  It's there in spades with Rick, but I even see it with Daryl and Herschel and Carl.  But I REALLY felt it with Merle and the Governor.  I swear on Merle's last episode with Michonne I found myself laughing because I could honestly envision an eventual hookup between The Redneck and The Black Samauri.  And with the Guv?  Off the charts.  The tension between them left me breathless.  It wasn't sexual, but dramatic.  That scene with him over Penny was one of the most memorable in the show for me for both of them.  It was the ONLY scene where David M revealed the totality of the Governor's psyche - from his pain and desperation over Penny to his utter murderous ruthlessness.  To even the rage he kept on the back burner that had her name on it.  When he said, "I want Michonne" to Rick, it was chilling.

First, I don't think the Morgan pairing was about race. I think they both spent a looooong time in the ZA alone---and who else has even tried that and survived? Even when that was brought up to Daryl that you can't make it alone anymore he said "You never could". I think they both got that different thing from losing their only son.But he is older, although I agree with people who say at this time in the End of The World it doesn't matter so much.

I think Michonne and Daryl have the best chemistry. I feel it more with them.

I can't forget when Michonne gave Rick that razor...and as soon as she left he threw it in the weeds. She never asked about it again, and he hasn't shaved either. I think he may be oversensitized to being told what to do by Lori. Doesn't matter if they had nuptial bliss; like your "reading too much" anecdote, I know a man who said he didn't care if anorexia made a woman act like a complete shrew as long as she was really thin. For men, a lot of being sexually attracted to a woman is about other men---do they evaluate that woman as being a trophy, or did he settle for "equal"?

I'm not getting the "gift" of some reaction from all men to Michonne, Carl gets along with her good, that isn't something magical, it's bonding by experience and could also be with someone else in the same contexts. Herschel was flirty with every girl character (except his daughters, and children of course). I think if Rick had any plans with Michonne he's had every opportunity by now and nothing.

One thing I have noticed is that Michonne was tender to Carl in sympathy for his pain. But tender caring for an adult male I haven't seen from her. Maggie, Beth, Carol,--yes; even Rosita and Tara had it for Glenn without making it sexual, just comforting. Michonne comforted Carl, but not Rick, or Daryl . She did it for Andrea--and no I am not suggesting a sexual orientation issue---I include her friendship with Andrea because it did show Michonne can be comforting and supportive and reassuring and warm to another adult. So I'm not sure that it might not be Michonne who is the one that doesn't want to go there yet, or with these particular men.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 4

Re Danai's chemistry with all things male:  She seems to have a gift.  Something about this woman causes a reaction from nearly every male character thus far.  It's there in spades with Rick, but I even see it with Daryl and Herschel and Carl.  But I REALLY felt it with Merle and the Governor.  I swear on Merle's last episode with Michonne I found myself laughing because I could honestly envision an eventual hookup between The Redneck and The Black Samauri.  And with the Guv?  Off the charts.  The tension between them left me breathless.  It wasn't sexual, but dramatic.  That scene with him over Penny was one of the most memorable in the show for me for both of them.  It was the ONLY scene where David M revealed the totality of the Governor's psyche - from his pain and desperation over Penny to his utter murderous ruthlessness.  To even the rage he kept on the back burner that had her name on it.  When he said, "I want Michonne" to Rick, it was chilling.  And her never ending search for him.  And the way he used her sword to kill Herschel and the way she put her sword through him.  They were obsessed with each other.  A bona fide couple bonded in hatred.  But that all worked because of the chemistry between the two actors.  Danai's chemistry with her male colleague.

Totally agree with you here.  Danai has chemistry with everyone but really clicks with her male co-stars.  I also saw it with Michael Rooker/Merle and even wondered if Merle didn't try to kill the Governor for his brother's sake but for Michonne's, because he was in love with her in his own sick Merle way.  The few scenes between Michonne and Daryl had more chemistry than four seasons with Carol and two episodes with Beth COMBINED.  Michonne and Carl are beautiful to watch.  She's friend, big sister, teacher and mentor all rolled into one.  Chandler and Andrew have a wonderful bond but Danai brings things out of Chandler that are magical.  He has grown as an actor and a character since he started working with her.  Michonne has only had one scene with Tyreese, which I think is ironic considering their relationship in the comics but again it was great.  That's where the immortal line 'anger makes you stupid and stupid gets you killed' comes from.  And even Hershel got an extra special twinkle when he was with Michonne.

But it was Michonne and The Governor that really sparked.  They had a psycho-sexual obsession thing going on between them that was mind-blowing.  I always thought that the reason the Governor started sleeping with Andrea was because it was the closest he could get to fucking Michonne.  I remember there was an interview with Danai and Andrew, Scott, Norman and David and for some reason they made Danai sit on David's lap.  You could tell David was VERY uncomfortable about it but I noticed that he couldn't stop stroking Danai's arm with his finger, like he couldn't help himself.  And Norman can't keep his hands off Danai.  I don't think he's allowed to sit beside her on panels because of it. 

I don't know what it is about Danai but I felt it when I met her.  She really is a force of nature.  I've been a straight woman my whole life but I was absolutely mesmerized by her when I met her.  I do not fangirl AT ALL, but I am a Danai fangirl 4EVA!!!!

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 2

Re Rick having a "type" and most men not having desire for women who are equals:  Sadly I agree with this.  I once had a male cousin tell me that I didn't have a boyfriend because I read too much.  I think there is a lot of truth to this.  

For men, a lot of being sexually attracted to a woman is about other men---do they evaluate that woman as being a trophy, or did he settle for "equal"?

The generalizations about men are making me slightly uncomfortable.  We wouldn't want them generalizing about us.  Also, I happen to disagree.  I am an average looking, very smart woman who reads, and I've never been able to beat the men off with a stick, men who are usually considered to be "out of my league" when it comes to appearances. And they were always just as proud of me as I was of them.  I don't believe all men only care about whether a women is skinny and dumb.

Edited by SHOgirl
  • Love 6

I'm not getting the "gift" of some reaction from all men to Michonne, Carl gets along with her good, that isn't something magical, it's bonding by experience and could also be with someone else in the same contexts. Herschel was flirty with every girl character (except his daughters, and children of course). I think if Rick had any plans with Michonne he's had every opportunity by now and nothing.

I agree @kikismom about Michonne and Rick.  I JUST DON'T SEE IT.  I've tried really hard but I don't see more than Michonne is a female Daryl when it comes to Rick.  She's his sister.  I think he loves her and trusts her but I don't think it's romantic.  That doesn't mean he doesn't look at her ass from time to time because....that ass!!! But that's as far as it goes. 

Kirkman said that Danai thinks of Michonne as Rick's 'work wife'.  I think that's a good description of them. 

• Love 4

I loved that Michonne was so happy to see Daryl.  The writers keep ignoring that these two are friends who spent a lot of time searching for the Governor.  Daryl looked a bit overwhelmed seeing her.  Like he was happy to see her(there was a small smile at the very beginning) but also overwhelmed by what was going on with him right then. And when she asks where Carol is, it's like he remembers everything that's gone down and he calls out to the person hiding in the bushes.

I love that moment too. It was great to see her happy and smiling at Daryl. 

• Love 2

Of course it wasn't simply because of race.  Out of everyone in the ZA they seem to of had the closest experiences.  Both lost their children.  Both lost their spouse.  Both went off the deep end and spent time alone just killing Walkers.  I think they could really relate to each other, and I think because of their experiences they are both complete bad asses.  That and I love love love Lennie James so I want him to have the best :)

• Love 2

I agree @kikismom about Michonne and Rick.  I JUST DON'T SEE IT.  I've tried really hard but I don't see more than Michonne is a female Daryl when it comes to Rick.  She's his sister.  I think he loves her and trusts her but I don't think it's romantic.  That doesn't mean he doesn't look at her ass from time to time because....that ass!!! But that's as far as it goes. 

Kirkman said that Danai thinks of Michonne as Rick's 'work wife'.  I think that's a good description of them. 

I think that's a good description too although it breaks my heart into a million pieces.  I'm all about "Richonne" and I find myself pushing for this for reasons that are deeper than simply boy meets girl and they fall in "wuv".  There is definitely a race component to my feelings.  I believe that if the character of Michonne was being played by a pretty blonde or red head, it would be canon right now that she and Rick were meant to be - because they click on all other cylinders.  But there just seems to be a big resounding NEVER to the concept that the woman "meant" for the handsome male lead of ANY show is a VERY black woman.  A VERY black woman must always be the friend, the partner, the coworker, the nanny or the sassy comic relief (and Danai Guirira as Michonne is all those things).  That he could look at her and see a love interest seems impossible in TV land.  It is because of this that I pretty much know that Richonne will never happen though I will always hold out hope - because I think more and more people would like for this to change.

But the larger component, believe it or not, is that I am aching to see a man/woman hookup happen for all the reasons that have nothing to do with looks - something even MORE rare than what I described above.  I mean, on paper without ever seeing either one, there seems to be a connection that is truly deep and meaningful.  Mutual respect, understanding, similar views on life and love and family as well as their love for Carl (and I'm sure Judith is going to be included).  They are family in every way that we describe it.  They are what we all DREAM composes true love.   Except  in that she doesn't LOOK like the type of woman that the sexy male lead should have on his arm.  Throw her to Black Guy #7 (that's a joke from a WD parody on YouTube btw) or to Daryl (who is apparently not even on speaking terms with his penis) and wait for them to cast a more appropriate leading lady for Rick.  And I'm not just talking race, Rick's woman can't be too old or too butch or anything "unappealing", she's gotta be Angelina Jolie or a supermodel.  I'm sure at least ONE supermodel survived the ZA.

I was Richonne or Die but I do think this is the setup we'll be getting.  She will be the one to take the bullet for Rick and or Carl.  They'll cry over their lost FRIEND - that's all she ever was and ever could have been.  :(

I love that moment too. It was great to see her happy and smiling at Daryl. 

That's twice that she's flashed him that beautiful smile.  She does seem to really like him.  I don't know how I feel about them as a couple.  He seems indifferent to her.  BTW I seem to be the only one on the planet who thinks Beth is actually a good match with him.  Beth forces him to be present with her and I think that's what Daryl needs.

Of course it wasn't simply because of race.  Out of everyone in the ZA they seem to of had the closest experiences.  Both lost their children.  Both lost their spouse.  Both went off the deep end and spent time alone just killing Walkers.  I think they could really relate to each other, and I think because of their experiences they are both complete bad asses.  That and I love love love Lennie James so I want him to have the best :)

I really like him too.  Of his choices right now, both Michonne and Sasha are really beautiful, good women.  He'll have the best regardless.  I just hope he's gotten through the chalkboard scribbling, spiked welcome mat phase he was in when they last met.  LOL.

• Love 1

Timetoread, your post presents a disappointing outcome. I think Richonne would be awesome as well, because of all the reasons you mention. If they cast some cutesy person just to satisfy Rick's other half, that would be hugely frustrating. I hope they are better than that. I'd rather see him alone. He doesn't need someone "on his arm" for sure; I think they are equals and neither one wants to be protecting a "weaker" partner or being protected by someone "stronger."

And no, in my perfect apocalypse, there are no surviving supermodels. ;)

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 2

I think that's a good description too although it breaks my heart into a million pieces.  I'm all about "Richonne" and I find myself pushing for this for reasons that are deeper than simply boy meets girl and they fall in "wuv".  There is definitely a race component to my feelings.  I believe that if the character of Michonne was being played by a pretty blonde or red head, it would be canon right now that she and Rick were meant to be - because they click on all other cylinders.  But there just seems to be a big resounding NEVER to the concept that the woman "meant" for the handsome male lead of ANY show is a VERY black woman.  A VERY black woman must always be the friend, the partner, the coworker, the nanny or the sassy comic relief (and Danai Guirira as Michonne is all those things).  That he could look at her and see a love interest seems impossible in TV land.  It is because of this that I pretty much know that Richonne will never happen though I will always hold out hope - because I think more and more people would like for this to change.

But the larger component, believe it or not, is that I am aching to see a man/woman hookup happen for all the reasons that have nothing to do with looks - something even MORE rare than what I described above.  I mean, on paper without ever seeing either one, there seems to be a connection that is truly deep and meaningful.  Mutual respect, understanding, similar views on life and love and family as well as their love for Carl (and I'm sure Judith is going to be included).  They are family in every way that we describe it.  They are what we all DREAM composes true love.   Except  in that she doesn't LOOK like the type of woman that the sexy male lead should have on his arm.  Throw her to Black Guy #7 (that's a joke from a WD parody on YouTube btw) or to Daryl (who is apparently not even on speaking terms with his penis) and wait for them to cast a more appropriate leading lady for Rick.  And I'm not just talking race, Rick's woman can't be too old or too butch or anything "unappealing", she's gotta be Angelina Jolie or a supermodel.  I'm sure at least ONE supermodel survived the ZA.

I was Richonne or Die but I do think this is the setup we'll be getting.  She will be the one to take the bullet for Rick and or Carl.  They'll cry over their lost FRIEND - that's all she ever was and ever could have been.  :(

That's twice that she's flashed him that beautiful smile.  She does seem to really like him.  I don't know how I feel about them as a couple.  He seems indifferent to her.  BTW I seem to be the only one on the planet who thinks Beth is actually a good match with him.  Beth forces him to be present with her and I think that's what Daryl needs.

I absolutely know how you feel about Michonne because I feel the same way.  The fact that Michonne is played by a beautiful VERY BLACK woman makes her more special to me than I can express.  Actually, you put it very well.  I think that the success of several dark-skinned Black actresses has resonated with millions of Black women all over the world.  I love Michonne in a way that I never thought I would care about a character on a TV show, especially one about zombies (I have no interest in zombies).  Michonne is the reason I watch the show and if she dies, I wouldn't riot but I would never watch the show again.

It's because Michonne means so much to me that I 'm so resistant to Richonne.  I hate when people say she's already Carl and Judith's mom and they're already a family.  Wait a fucking second.  Just because she gets on with the kids is no reason to get with the man, in my opinion.  He hasn't done one single thing to show that he thinks she's special or important or that he even thinks she's pretty.  He's looked at her ass, but EVERYBODY looks at Michonne's ass, she has one of the best asses on television.  IF Rick and Michonne were to get together, it would have to have nothing to do with his children and everything to do with the fact that he's madly in love with her because she the most amazing, wonderful BEAUTIFUL woman he's ever met.  Because she is  .

I do think that Daryl is interested in Michonne, the show just has been too busy catering to the fanatic fanbases to explore it.  Michonne is the one female character that Norman has unreservedly said he would be in favour of getting with.  Daryl always gets this complicated look on his face when he's talking to Michonne, like there's so much going on with him he doesn't know what to do.  And I like the idea of the dark-skinned Black woman getting the most desirable guy on TV.  I think they share a lot of things including their loyalty to Rick, their hatred/search for the Governor, their solitary nature and their skill as warriors.  I would love to see these two people, who would never exchange two words in the world before the turn, come together and find love in the ZA.

Like I said, I love Michonne very much.  More so because Danai is such an incredibly talented and accomplished artist and one of the best, if not THE best actor on the show.  I don't think she gets her proper due because she makes it look so fucking easy and I am sick and tired of her being pushed aside for lesser characters.  I want Michonne front and center with her own storyline.  TWD needs Danai more than she needs them.  She has a play opening at Yale Rep.  Lupita Nyong'o wants to take one of her plays to Broadway.  The girl is ON HER WAY!!!  TWD needs to treat her right!

Edited to add:  I agree with you that Daryl doesn't seem to know what to do with his penis.  But I have a feeling that Michonne could solve that problem right quick.  But he would need to take a WEEK LONG SCALDING HOT SHOWER before he even thought of getting with my girl.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 2

That's twice that (Michonne) has flashed him that beautiful smile.  She does seem to really like him.

The first real smile we ever saw from her was for Daryl. I think she adores him and I mean in the way that she finds him adorable.

ETA:

But it was Michonne and The Governor that really sparked

I think he would have wanted to dominate her. If that had been allowed to happen we would have seen the greatest example of "hate sex" ever and it would have been totally hot.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

Personally, I'm not really into shipping, so I don't care who Michonne ends up with (if anyone). I do sometimes see a glimmer of chemistry between her and Rick, but even super close friends can have a bit of chemistry and no desire to "go there". It's possible that Rick is into Michonne, but is worried a relationship would complicate things, which it certainly could. Someone posted somewhere before about how a divorce/breakup would work in the ZA. What if it was really awful? Does one leave the group? It, honestly, might be better to avoid such things. Also, I think that Rick, Michonne, Carl, and Judith can be a family without there being a romantic relationship between Rick and Michonne. Families are made up of many different kinds of people, and I think they make a good one. Michonne clearly gets Rick and is will to let him be himself. She is super supportive of Carl and can make him laugh when no one else can. I think they make a good unit, regardless of any coupling up. 

• Love 4

The first real smile we ever saw from her was for Daryl. I think she adores him and I mean in the way that she finds him adorable.

ETA:

I think he would have wanted to dominate her. If that had been allowed to happen we would have seen the greatest example of "hate sex" ever and it would have been totally hot.

Unfortunately there is no way they could capitalize on the chemistry between Michonne and The Governor because of what happens in the comic.  It would have been very inappropriate to have TV Michonne having sex with the man who brutally rapes her in the comic.

• Love 4

ETA:

LOL LOL!  He definitely would have tried to dominate her.....(wait for it)..... in the beginning.  But I feel like at some point she'd get the upper hand and tie him up and HE'D. LOVE. IT!!!!  Keep in mind that out of all the people the Governor victimized the only one, man or woman, who ever got the drop on him was Michonne.  After that she was the only thing he could think about.  Their hate sex would have been EPIC!

Unfortunately there is no way they could capitalize on the chemistry between Michonne and The Governor because of what happens in the comic.  It would have been very inappropriate to have TV Michonne having sex with the man who brutally rapes her in the comic.

True true.  And this is one reason why I think the show needs to break once and for all from the comic narrative.  Sometimes you have to go with what works.  Sometimes unintended chemistry is to much to deny and intended chemistry is too hard to manufacture (looking at you Sleepy Hollow - Katrina just needs to go already).  The writers need to be unchained from the source material so that they can make the best TV show they can.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 2

I do think that Daryl is interested in Michonne, the show just has been too busy catering to the fanatic fanbases to explore it.  Michonne is the one female character that Norman has unreservedly said he would be in favour of getting with.  Daryl always gets this complicated look on his face when he's talking to Michonne, like there's so much going on with him he doesn't know what to do.  And I like the idea of the dark-skinned Black woman getting the most desirable guy on TV.  I think they share a lot of things including their loyalty to Rick, their hatred/search for the Governor, their solitary nature and their skill as warriors.  I would love to see these two people, who would never exchange two words in the world before the turn, come together and find love in the ZA.

Michonne and Daryl are too different in some ways (she had a family and went to art galleries), and way too alike in others. They're both so closed off that I can't imagine the two of them negotiating a relationship. If Daryl can barely even look at Michonne, how can he talk to her about his needs? Flashback Michonne was so happy, so open—I hope she can come back.

Then again, relationships on this show make people stupid (Andrea), boring (Glenn), or annoying (Lori). So I'm fine with Michonne on her own.

• Love 3

True true. And this is one reason why I think the show needs to break once and for all from the comic narrative. Sometimes you have to go with what works. Sometimes unintended chemistry is to much to deny and intended chemistry is too hard to manufacture (looking at you Sleepy Hollow - Katrina just needs to go already). The writers need to be unchained from the source material so that they can make the best TV show they can.

I agree with you somewhat about getting away from the source material. Especially if it's based on the actors' chemistry, etc. I think the comics have a generally great storyline, but I also think the show has done a good job of improving upon things. Kirkman has agreed to that as well in some instances. I think the character of Michonne is one of these cases. On the other hand, the show bombed with Andrea. I like that they use the comic as a general outline and change it to fit their needs. They could do more with that though, as you suggest.

(and Katrina is Ichabod's wife right? I agree; get rid of her!)

• Love 1

Re Michonne not showing comfort to Rick. I think she's been shown to be concerned about him. When the Claimers showed up at the house --Rick wouldn't have been there if Michonne hadn't insisted he stay home and rest. She is shown to be close to him in a way no other character is. After the showdown with the Claimers she asks if he's ok and he says yes and she says I know. They are muy sympatico. Now if this is just a friend or sister bond, fine, but because of the chemistry that they've shared since day freaking one (staring at each other through the fence). It's gonna take some convincing it's a purely platonic bond. Also before Lori died they were joking about getting a divorce in the ZA. I don't know if Rick has a "type" but his marriage hit the skids in a big way and I doubt he'd be up for Lori v.2. even if she hadn't died horribly.

• Love 1

Eek!  Well that's not good because everybody who reads the comics is going to know exactly what is about to happen.  Indeed why even watch the show if you read the comics?  Certain characters aren't in the comics at all, will they just kill them off now?

• Love 1

It would have been very inappropriate to have TV Michonne having sex with the man who brutally rapes her in the comic.

I never read the comics, thank goodness, so I'm left with my illusions and...err....fantasies.

Their hate sex would have been EPIC!

*fans self* Yep!!! I'd hate to be the one who had to clean up the room, however.

• Love 1

Edited to add:  I agree with you that Daryl doesn't seem to know what to do with his penis.  But I have a feeling that Michonne could solve that problem right quick.  But he would need to take a WEEK LONG SCALDING HOT SHOWER before he even thought of getting with my girl.

. Now if this is just a friend or sister bond, fine, but because of the chemistry that they've shared since day freaking one (staring at each other through the fence). I

They all need to take a scalding hot shower, including Michonne. I don't know how she can wear skin-tight pants sweaty and dirty day and night marching or wading through a walker-infested cesspool...yechhh!

I think they were not staring through the fence because of chemistry! It was because Rick was holding his baby when he saw one of the crowd of walkers at the fence was carrying an orange shopping basket, which walkers don't do...and he'd never seen another human walk up in a crowd of zombies...he and Glenn at least wore raincoats! She was staring because she didn't dare speak aloud. 

I think if there was any chemistry that early, Rick would have let her in before she got attacked and Carl had to ask "Dad, should we help her?" Rick's first conversation to her was to tell her they'd give her food and medical treatment, which she refused, and he said she could take it anyway and get the hell out.

• Love 4

I don't know how she can wear skin-tight pants sweaty and dirty day and night marching or wading through a walker-infested cesspool...

I think those pants are alive. Aren't they the same ones she wore when she got shot in the leg? The pants were ripped but seem to have healed themselves.

• Love 3

Kirkman stated in recent interviews that Season 5--and from there on forward--the show will adhere more closely to the comic.

Sorry to be the bearer of "bad news".

I'm okay with that because Rick and Michonne never get together in the comics.  And Carol is dead.

Rick's first conversation to her was to tell her they'd give her food and medical treatment, which she refused, and he said she could take it anyway and get the hell out.

Yes, and also included was RIck sticking his fingers in her wound to make her talk. Unless torture is part of a post-apocalyptic mating ritual, I'd say he saw her as an enemy at worst and a nuisance at best.

• Love 3

Well... he's stayed alive as a solo act for several months now.  His sanity may be in question, but not his survival skills.

• Love 2

It's because Michonne means so much to me that I 'm so resistant to Richonne.  I hate when people say she's already Carl and Judith's mom and they're already a family.  Wait a fucking second.  Just because she gets on with the kids is no reason to get with the man, in my opinion.  He hasn't done one single thing to show that he thinks she's special or important or that he even thinks she's pretty.  He's looked at her ass, but EVERYBODY looks at Michonne's ass, she has one of the best asses on television.  IF Rick and Michonne were to get together, it would have to have nothing to do with his children and everything to do with the fact that he's madly in love with her because she the most amazing, wonderful BEAUTIFUL woman he's ever met.  Because she is  .

This is why I'm glad they haven't ever written her relationship with Carl as being about her relationship with Rick. 

I don't think Richonne will ever happen, and I think one of the main reasons is race, and it's saddening to me. I try not to think about it too much, because I appreciate Scott Gimple not doing that annoying "teasing" or "baiting" many shows do with couples who have fans but will likely never get together (and TWD does this with Daryl's various pairings), but it sucks. On the one hand, as much as I love Rick, I know he's got issues and I could say Michonne can and should find love without such deep baggage. On the other, I have a feeling if she has any relationship, it may end up with someone like Gabriel, and I just don't want to see that - it would feel like a default pairing to me, and I don't think Michonne could ever be with a man she doesn't respect.

It's just saddening, because Danai and Andrew have such amazing chemistry and connection, and all without being forced. It's both sexual and platonic, and can go anywhere. You don't get that very often on TV. All they have to do is look at each other and I'm riveted.

I see Daryl as asexual and I tend to find any attempts by the show to move him beyond that to be cringeworthy, so I can't ship her with Daryl, although that's nothing against any of their fans.

I just hope they won't stop writing a friendship between Rick and Michonne just because of fan reaction. I hope that isn't why we've had less of Michonne with the Grimes this season.

I don't mind more of Michonne on her own either, it's just we haven't gotten much of that either. I wish the story about her katana had gone on a little longer - I watched the scene again where she got it back, and Danai played the moment exquisitely. This wasn't just a moment of triumph. It was also one of fear. 

Michonne has so many facets and I hope we keep getting to see them in greater detail.

• Love 3

. On the one hand, as much as I love Rick, I know he's got issues and I could say Michonne can and should find love without such deep baggage.

On the other, I have a feeling if she has any relationship, it may end up with someone like Gabriel, and I just don't want to see that - it would feel like a default pairing to me, and I don't think Michonne could ever be with a man she doesn't respect.

It's just saddening, because Danai and Andrew have such amazing chemistry and connection, and all without being forced. It's both sexual and platonic, and can go anywhere. You don't get that very often on TV. All they have to do is look at each other and I'm riveted.

Just like the need for a scalding hot shower, who doesn't have issues? That's one of the reasons I think Father Gabriel made a creepy first impression---they hadn't met anyone who wasn't carrying at least one weapon and a thousand-yard-stare. The whole group's got enough baggage to need a crew of Skycaps--why not share the angst?

"default pairing"---absolutely perfect.description, I dread this. These are all complex people; please please don't let it be like matching salt-shakers.

(One reason I dread this The Advent Of Carl's Puberty undertone...I would love to see some girls (kids) in the show (that don't get killed for being 12 years old and female) but I would like it to be a girl character/storyline written that it could stand on it's own if there was no Carl,  not oh we better put out a casting call for the Carl Loses His Virginity Arc.

Interesting; some see Rick/Michonne chemistry, and some don't. (I'm already in the I Don't See It camp;  he asks her how she got good with the sword like it's Kelly and Michael Live  So!, the audience loves the sword, it's a katana? Is that Japanese? What's your process?)

On the other hand, I've been watching the gradual by-play of Daryl's conversations with Michonne:

Maybe if you stayed in one place longer than a couple hours you'd be surprised what you learn.

You sure you wanna go out there? Alone? Might be lotta unfriendly types...

I don't need to leave anymore. You were right.

So you gonna stick around now? Good.

I like the color---it matches your eyes

I'm glad to see you. I missed you

Compared to: "You're face is losing the war." Response: Silence, toss gift in thicket.

• Love 5

Just like the need for a scalding hot shower, who doesn't have issues? That's one of the reasons I think Father Gabriel made a creepy first impression---they hadn't met anyone who wasn't carrying at least one weapon and a thousand-yard-stare. The whole group's got enough baggage to need a crew of Skycaps--why not share the angst?

"default pairing"---absolutely perfect.description, I dread this. These are all complex people; please please don't let it be like matching salt-shakers.

(One reason I dread this The Advent Of Carl's Puberty undertone...I would love to see some girls (kids) in the show (that don't get killed for being 12 years old and female) but I would like it to be a girl character/storyline written that it could stand on it's own if there was no Carl,  not oh we better put out a casting call for the Carl Loses His Virginity Arc.

Interesting; some see Rick/Michonne chemistry, and some don't. (I'm already in the I Don't See It camp;  he asks her how she got good with the sword like it's Kelly and Michael Live  So!, the audience loves the sword, it's a katana? Is that Japanese? What's your process?)

On the other hand, I've been watching the gradual by-play of Daryl's conversations with Michonne:

Maybe if you stayed in one place longer than a couple hours you'd be surprised what you learn.

You sure you wanna go out there? Alone? Might be lotta unfriendly types...

I don't need to leave anymore. You were right.

So you gonna stick around now? Good.

I like the color---it matches your eyes

I'm glad to see you. I missed you

Compared to: "You're face is losing the war." Response: Silence, toss gift in thicket.

Rick's awkwardness and Daryl's smoothness are probably some of the reasons why I see the relationships the way they are.

I enjoy the casual, natural bond and quasi-flirtiness with Daryl and Michonne. I'm not sure how I'd feel if it became more, if there were suddenly some type of feelings. I like that a guy who spent all his life hearing racial slurs hurled around and saw his brother involved in racist attacks has progressed to where someone who was his brother and his family's worst nightmare is someone he can hang out with, flirt with, have fun with. If it becomes more, than beyond my not being able to see Daryl as a sexual being, I'm also wary of Michonne being dragged into the woobieness that is Daryl. I like that Michonne doesn't have to teach Daryl life lessons, the way Carol and Beth did, that we don't need moments where Michonne sees his True Pain, and all the rest.

With Rick, I see Michonne as a challenge, because he's a man who has repressed much of himself for a long time. Even pre-ZA, I tend to headcanon that Rick was a dorky, fun guy who likely held back more and more because Shane was probably always naturally quicker-witted, more gregarious, more confident in his flirtations, and Lori was likely embarrassed every time Rick cracked a joke, or held her too close, or let her down yet again as a husband and father. He has so much internalized failure. Michonne, who has had just as many struggles as he's had - even more, some would say - and lost herself, just like he has, is still able to flirt, and joke, and be a goofball at times. Rick doesn't know what this is, because how can he relax or be at peace when he, in his mind, killed his best friend, killed his wife, failed his son, etc. I think Rick has at times felt a natural pull toward her. I don't mean because he stared at her ass, I just mean in body language, in familiarity. That's why I love the scene where he sees Michonne coming to the house and says, "It's for you," to Carl, and he just has such peace and freedom on his face. 

I feel like Michonne would find that sense of peace too. I don't agree with the people who say she should replace Lori or get a child to replace her own, or any of that stuff. I find that offputting. I wouldn't ever want Michonne to get someone's castoffs or somehow go along with the idea that she's lucky. I'd want to see Rick earn her love and show her he's worthy of her. 

I just think she and Rick are two pieces of a puzzle. They fit. They'd make the tough decisions and share the laughs. He wouldn't have to worry about protecting her and what a failure he is if he can't, because she doesn't demand protection, she doesn't need him - she would simply want him. They could give each other everything life told them they weren't allowed, and they could show each other paths they never would have walked pre-ZA. To me the themes of their relationship, when it's written for, is so much of what the show is about, what the show excels at.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 4

He wouldn't have to worry about protecting her and what a failure he is if he can't, because she doesn't demand protection, she doesn't need him - she would simply want him.

i like that so much about Michonne; I always headcanon that Lori was a Little Miss Harvest Fair Princess and Prom Queen and Head Cheerleader and Junior League Most Likely to Be A Flower Of Our Fair City type. I think she always needed to keep men on the back foot, needing to find more ways to please her because she grew up reading Fascinating Womanhood and crap. The proof was in the list of stuff from the store in Season 2 ---Soap Opera Digest?! Are you kidding me? Not only is there no television but um your kid was shot and it's the end of the world and you need to just get the last episode of your soaps because why? I think she was one of the women who think being in a soap opera psychodrama with mysterious pregnancies and men fighting over you is the same as an identity. It shows how feminine you are!!! Yikes.

Michonne would not put someone through the wringer to boost her own self-opinion. I don't think RIck has any practice with that, I suspect he was only ever experienced with Lori (but I doubt he was her first). I just think he might be dealing with really antiquated ideas of what is a dream woman and a 1950's Playboy magazine in his grandpa's garage probably messed up his head. His Southern Womanhood ideal was so fixed for so long he doesn't know any other way to play it.

Oddly enough, I think Michonne's urbane sophisticated background is helpful to Daryl...in her own environment of offices and galleries he would feel about 1 inch tall, but he knows the outdoors and has a boost in that way with someone like her. When he gets to say something direct though she doesn't fold up but she gives it back direct and that may be more of a comfort zone for him than little "my daddy wouldn't like you to talk that way to me!" Lori or Beth.

• Love 7

I tried to understand Lori, and I often still do try, because I don't like to blame her for everything that went wrong with Rick and Shane, but she truly was defined by men, or what she wanted men to be. Michonne isn't defined by men, which is so refreshing, because she was probably the first woman on the show that was true for (along with Carol, to a degree). I know there's the debate over Michonne and whether having her with a man would diminish her, or if it diminishes her more if she doesn't have a man, and she's made into someone who isn't allowed to have relationships with men.

Ideally the show could have her in a relationship and continue to write for her as a person. I guess we'll eventually find out.

• Love 7

I tried to understand Lori, and I often still do try, because I don't like to blame her for everything that went wrong with Rick and Shane, but she truly was defined by men, or what she wanted men to be. Michonne isn't defined by men, which is so refreshing, because she was probably the first woman on the show that was true for (along with Carol, to a degree). I know there's the debate over Michonne and whether having her with a man would diminish her, or if it diminishes her more if she doesn't have a man, and she's made into someone who isn't allowed to have relationships with men.

Ideally the show could have her in a relationship and continue to write for her as a person. I guess we'll eventually find out.

I think Michonne is probably the only female character who wouldn't be diminished by being with a man.  The man would have to step up to her level. I think we saw that in her flashback with the easy banter between Michonne and Mike and Terry. On the other hand, I do fear that tptb, with their stellar record on writing female characters, would THINK that she would have to be less of a warrior once she gets involved with a man.  Which is why I like Daryl for her because I think he would accept her the way she is because he likes her the way she is.  And acceptance means so much to him. Daryl was the first one on her side when she arrived and went so far as to question Rick's decision to turn her over to the governor. 

I don't think Michonne is diminished by NOT having a man because I'm confident that if Michonne doesn't have a man, it's because she doesn't want one.  But I'd like my favourite character to have love and sex.  I think physical and emotional intimacy is necessary to human beings, especially in circumstances like the ZA.

One of the things that gives me hope is that Danai is a writer and really cares about her character.  I think she'll fight to keep her character strong.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 5

I think they were not staring through the fence because of chemistry! It was because Rick was holding his baby when he saw one of the crowd of walkers at the fence was carrying an orange shopping basket, which walkers don't do...and he'd never seen another human walk up in a crowd of zombies...he and Glenn at least wore raincoats! She was staring because she didn't dare speak aloud. 

I think if there was any chemistry that early, Rick would have let her in before she got attacked and Carl had to ask "Dad, should we help her?" Rick's first conversation to her was to tell her they'd give her food and medical treatment, which she refused, and he said she could take it anyway and get the hell out.

Well yeah but in the fantasia that is Richonneland, that is the genesis!

I just want to say, as the Deputy Mayor of Richonneland on the River Fantasia, that chemistry has nothing to do with a narrative, intent or even feelings.  Please note that I said earlier that Danai had chemistry with the actor Michael Rooker even though his character Merle would be more likely to lynch her than kiss her.  And she had chemistry with the actor David Morrisey, even though his character The Governor wanted to torture and kill her.  And yes, as I've pointed out before, there was no love lost between the characters of Rick and Michonne when they first met.  Rick was HORRIBLE to her and she offered no clear provocation to be otherwise.  What is noted however, between us Fantasia dwellers is that the chemistry between the actors Danai Guirira and Andrew Lincoln was apparent from even that first scene.  These two actors generate electricity simply by looking at each other.  The romance talk, however, didn't really begin until the very specific moment when Rick said "Well I guess it must have been something else then."  Why?  Because in 3 seasons we'd never seen Rick crack a joke or flirt or show any even subliminal physical attraction toward another female character. And this one character received all three seemingly out of the blue.  My mouth dropped open and I said out loud to the tv, "What the hell was that?  Was he flirting?"  Then I smiled and thought, "Well, perhaps he likes her."  Narrativewise they pretty much haven't left each other's side since.  So yeah, that is the genesis of a ship, but the ship didn't create the chemistry, the ship sailed BECAUSE of the chemistry.

Well... he's stayed alive as a solo act for several months now.  His sanity may be in question, but not his survival skills.

Maybe, but I don't want to see Michonne forced to pair with a man who is insane simply because he is black and can shoot a gun.  This would honestly make me drop this show if it went down like that.  That is an insult.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 5

This is why I'm glad they haven't ever written her relationship with Carl as being about her relationship with Rick. 

I don't think Richonne will ever happen, and I think one of the main reasons is race, and it's saddening to me.

I just hope they won't stop writing a friendship between Rick and Michonne just because of fan reaction. I hope that isn't why we've had less of Michonne with the Grimes this season.

If Rick and Michonne are simply going to be "friends" or "co-workers" I don't want to see any further development between her and Carl.  Why should the desexualized black female, who no man could want, be forced to care for the "Master's" children?  This reads too much like "Mammy" to me.  There is no expectation that Rick's other "friend and co-worker", Daryl, babysit Carl and Judith, so why should Michonne?  And truthfully, in the same spirit, I don't want to see the development of another black "best friend" who has a target on his/her back to motivate the main character's epic revenge one day.  I'd prefer to see Michonne simply melt into the group and be her own entity than be chained to, but never absorbed by, Rick and Carl.

Daryl was the first one on her side when she arrived and went so far as to question Rick's decision to turn her over to the governor.

I love this coupled by the fact that it was his brother Merle who made the decision to go against Rick and set her free.  It was the two Rednecks that fought the hardest for her life.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 2

I guess I don't see the Carl and Michonne relationship that way. I think they've come too close to that type of relationship a few times (mainly in late season 4), but mostly I see them as two lost people who understand each other and helped each other heal at a low point in their lives. They have an understanding, secrets, a certain language, totally outside of Rick. I also like that Carl was the one who saved her life when she first got to the prison, and this was never presented as something she should be grateful for - it was just basic decency.

I have no real desire to see Michonne babysit Judith, and I hope they won't put her in that role.

• Love 2

If Rick and Michonne are simply going to be "friends" or "co-workers" I don't want to see any further development between her and Carl.  Why should the desexualized black female, who no man could want, be forced to care for the "Master's" children?  This reads too much like "Mammy" to me.  There is no expectation that Rick's other "friend and co-worker" Daryl babysit Carl and Judith, so why should Michonne?  And truthfully, in the same spirit, I'm don't want to see the development of another black "best friend" who has a target on his/her back to motivate the main character's epic revenge one day.  I'd prefer to see Michonne simply melt into the group and be her own entity than be chained to, but never absorbed by, Rick and Carl.

I love this coupled by the fact that it was his brother Merle who made the decision to go against Rick and set her free.  It was the two Rednecks that fought the hardest for her life.

I hear what you're saying but I completely disagree with you about Michonne and Carl.  Michonne is Carl's FRIEND.  Their relationship has nothing to do with his father and I think that's wonderful.  I think Carl is a very lonely kid.  Most of his time in the ZA has been spent with adults and with adults who behave very badly.  Until Patrick came along, he didn't have anybody he could talk comics with or act goofy.  He has that with Michonne and, again, it has nothing to do with his father.  That's the reason why it was so moving when Rick said 'it's for you' when Michonne was at the door.  Because Carl was probably the reason Michonne followed their tracks.  As far as we know, Carl is the only person Michonne has told about Andre.  That's a big deal and a huge bond between the two.

What I think would be putting Michonne in the 'Mammy' role would be if she was put with Rick BECAUSE she gets on so well with Carl.  If Rick and Michonne get together (hopefully not) I want it to be because he's crazy about her, not because she's good with his kids.  That would make her Mammy, in my opinion.

Right now, we don't know how Carl would feel if Michonne and Rick displayed any romantic interest. She's HIS friend and he might not be happy about her being closer to his father than she is to him.  He made a point of asking if his father knew about Andre because he liked the idea of knowing something about Michonne that his dad didn't know.

All of this is another reason why Michonne shouldn't be with Rick in my opinion.  Too complicated.  And I don't have a problem with Michonne being with a Black man.  I don't think that a 'default\ relationship at all.  Being with a Black man wouldn't be a lesser choice for Michonne.  I would love to see her with Tyreese.  He's a good man and was a very loving and patient boyfriend to Karen.  But I don't think there's any romance in Ty's future.  I have a feeling that her conversation with Father Gabriel was a bit of a chem test, but I don't think Michonne would be interested in a coward, even if she's sympathetic.  If a nice looking brother who can kill a zombie and looks like he might last more than one season shows up, I say 'jump on that girl!'.

• Love 4

I hear what you're saying but I completely disagree with you about Michonne and Carl.  Michonne is Carl's FRIEND.  Their relationship has nothing to do with his father and I think that's wonderful.  I think Carl is a very lonely kid.  Most of his time in the ZA has been spent with adults and with adults who behave very badly.  Until Patrick came along, he didn't have anybody he could talk comics with or act goofy.  He has that with Michonne and, again, it has nothing to do with his father.  That's the reason why it was so moving when Rick said 'it's for you' when Michonne was at the door.  Because Carl was probably the reason Michonne followed their tracks.  As far as we know, Carl is the only person Michonne has told about Andre.  That's a big deal and a huge bond between the two.

What I think would be putting Michonne in the 'Mammy' role would be if she was put with Rick BECAUSE she gets on so well with Carl.  If Rick and Michonne get together (hopefully not) I want it to be because he's crazy about her, not because she's good with his kids.  That would make her Mammy, in my opinion.

Right now, we don't know how Carl would feel if Michonne and Rick displayed any romantic interest. She's HIS friend and he might not be happy about her being closer to his father than she is to him.  He made a point of asking if his father knew about Andre because he liked the idea of knowing something about Michonne that his dad didn't know.

All of this is another reason why Michonne shouldn't be with Rick in my opinion.  Too complicated.  And I don't have a problem with Michonne being with a Black man.  I don't think that a 'default\ relationship at all.  Being with a Black man wouldn't be a lesser choice for Michonne.  I would love to see her with Tyreese.  He's a good man and was a very loving and patient boyfriend to Karen.  But I don't think there's any romance in Ty's future.  I have a feeling that her conversation with Father Gabriel was a bit of a chem test, but I don't think Michonne would be interested in a coward, even if she's sympathetic.  If a nice looking brother who can kill a zombie and looks like he might last more than one season shows up, I say 'jump on that girl!'.

It's Carl's likely mixed reaction that makes me want to see what would happen. I think it would be good drama. 

I didn't mean Michonne with a black man would be default. I meant putting her with Gabriel, who has just arrived and is someone I can't see her respecting for a very long time, would feel like default, especially if it was down to the show not wanting to put her with a white man. I think she would have been great with T-Dog. I'm sorry they missed each other by a few episodes. It's just the thought of her being put with Tyreese or Gabriel because of the show or the network possibly being uneasy or finding her unworthy of Rick or Daryl that makes me pause.

• Love 2

It's Carl's likely mixed reaction that makes me want to see what would happen. I think it would be good drama. 

I didn't mean Michonne with a black man would be default. I meant putting her with Gabriel, who has just arrived and is someone I can't see her respecting for a very long time, would feel like default, especially if it was down to the show not wanting to put her with a white man. I think she would have been great with T-Dog. I'm sorry they missed each other by a few episodes. It's just the thought of her being put with Tyreese or Gabriel because of the show or the network possibly being uneasy or finding her unworthy of Rick or Daryl that makes me pause.

I know what you mean and it's a sad state of affairs.  Michonne is an alpha female and I don't think it makes sense to put her with anything but an alpha male.  But we'll probably never see a Black alpha male on TWD so...

It would make for tasty drama to have Carl react negatively to Michonne and Rick getting together.  But teenage angst isn't my idea of entertainment, so I'll pass.

• Love 3

At this point there isn't a black man that I approve of for her.  I kind of liked Bob but he hooked up with Sasha (they were really cute, IMO) and now he's dead.  Tyrese makes me sick.  I simply cannot stand watching his big ass act like a sniveling coward, looking to the women to kill walkers and carrying around Rick's baby like she's a teddy bear.  Christ, man, grow a pair!!!  I'll see what Morgan's state of mind is.  He was okay in his first intro - a smart, decent family man.  Last we saw he was cray cray.  I don't think of a black man as a "lesser" choice at all.  But I'm irked because, Carl notwithstanding, there is very real compatibility between Michonne and Rick and if they put her with someone else, I want it to be because they are also compatible and sexy together and crazy about each other, not because he's brown/she's brown and therefore we have a match.

Michonne is an alpha female and I don't think it makes sense to put her with anything but an alpha male.  But we'll probably never see a Black alpha male on TWD so...

Sad but true.  For a second I thought we'd keep Oscar around for Michonne (and he was a big hunka hunka).  I liked his decency and pride, but Tyrese showed up and they had to kill him because of the TWD Negro Quota.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 1

Pete Martell, I adore your post.

Kikismom, I know you're right, when Rick said that, the light bulb went off and a fleet of ships launched at that moment. I just remember some other shipper posted some images and the fence stare off really stood out. What also stood out at the time was how much of an asshole Rick was to her. I felt like it was over the top, like he doth protest too much --sticking his finger in the wound, I was like what the fuck, that was too much, even Merle in his Gov henchman total dick prime wouldn't have done that (well maybe but for Rick I thought it out of character).

• Love 1