Type keyword(s) to search

Campaign Promises vs. Reality

On 11/15/2016 at 3:09 PM, crayon78 said:

If you follow igorvolsky on Twitter, he has started doing this under the hashtag #trickedbytrump. (https://twitter.com/hashtag/trickedbytrump?src=hash)

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/status/797165380183740416

That is semantics for you. He will "protect our LGBT citizens from the violence and oppression of a hateful FOREIGN ideology. " He has no intention to protect LGBT from the hatefulness right here  at home - including himself, his transition team, and his supporters doing his bidding.

GACK. Pass the Pepto 

Edited by Lisin
Removed twitter embed
  • Love 5

I've stated this elsewhere, but Trump continues to confound me w/ his inconsistencies (expediencies??).  He says one thing, does another.  See Rand Paul's rather delicately-phrased statement about Trump's candidates for Sec of State:

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/798603997636476928

Both the hawkish and dovish wings of the Senate GOP caucus have some warning for Trump

Edited by Lisin
Removed twitter embed

I don't know if this counts as a campaign promise, but I vaguely recall Drumpf announcing his candidacy and vowing to be the greatest jobs president ever. 

Based on the disarray I've witnessed so far, he can't even handle his immediate staffing needs.  

• Love 10

I wonder how they will handle stripping health care coverage from 22 million people. And I understand over a million and a half have signed up just in the last week.

I still believe this will be harder than they think to accomplish. If they really want to keep the "popular" parts like the pre-existing conditions ban and kids on their parent's plans, the truth is that can't be kept without the other parts. And if they scrap the whole thing with nothing to replace it, that will throw the whole market into total chaos, literally endanger millions of lives and cost more than it took to implement it, with costs skyrocketing back higher than before the program was enacted, obviously.

So what do they really do? I see already at least one Republican governor (there will be more) who expanded medicaid doesn't want to take that coverage away from constituents. There are other governors, like John Kasich, who've done the same thing and covered millions of people through the expansion. This will hurt people in red states too.

The Republicans never bothered to come up with a replacement plan of their own all these years. The truth is, the ACA pretty much WAS a Republican plan originally, created by the Heritage foundation.

Trump himself could be convinced to keep the whole thing if they just change the name to Trumpcare.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 8

I don't think they'll fully repeal the ACA, if only because the insurance companies won't want to lose 20 million customers. They may change parts of it but they won't get rid of it because they won't want to upset the insurance companies. 

• Love 1

What really frustrates me is the way that everyone in America (and plenty of other countries) treat these 'disenfranchised' types with such kid gloves. Pandering to them and telling them what they want to hear, instead of the truth. 'We want our high paid, secure for life, manufacturing jobs back', and Trump say, 'I'm going to bring those jobs back'. And everyone just lets him say it. What they should be saying, what any honest and principled candidate should be saying is this:

'Your jobs are not coming back. You need to find new ones. If there are none in this town, we'll try to come up with ways of introducing new jobs, but they won't be as skilled or as highly paid. This is reality.'

All that Trump and the other 'anti-establishment' types did was mislead a lot of people who are hurting.

You want to try competing with China on manufactured goods? You'll go broke. The USA can never match the labour costs of China for mass produced goods. They can never match the costs of Korea or Malaysia for cheap cars. Unless they can magically get China to level the playing field by paying their workers more and investing in worker safety and welfare, then the only option is to put tariffs on imports, and adopt a protectionist attitude to try and bring manufacturing back. But that still won't work, because the tariffs would have to be so prohibitive that they would stop China from making a profit.

The EU has just put tariffs of up to 70% on Chinese steel, to try and stop them from dumping it on the European market, but they aren't even sure if that will work, and how angrily China will react if it does.

So what the US needs to be doing is innovating and discovering new jobs for people to do. Clean energy and infrastructure renewal/expansion (which, to be fair, Trump has said he wants. But the GOP will never let him) are two ways. But they cost the govt a lot of money, which means that Trump's tax cuts would render them impossible without massively increasing the national debt.

So how about some actual honesty in campaigning. You never know, it might actually go down quite well for a nation of people who have been routinely lied to, misled and patronised by politicians.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Pandering to them and telling them what they want to hear, instead of the truth. 'We want our high paid, secure for life, manufacturing jobs back', and Trump say, 'I'm going to bring those jobs back'. And everyone just lets him say it. What they should be saying, what any honest and principled candidate should be saying is this:

'Your jobs are not coming back. You need to find new ones. If there are none in this town, we'll try to come up with ways of introducing new jobs, but they won't be as skilled or as highly paid. This is reality.'

Especially since it appears that 88% of the lost jobs went to robots instead of China.

• Love 4
On 11/16/2016 at 8:44 PM, Lillybee said:

I think that the jobs that the Donald will create (not) are the jobs that the 2 million people that he plans on deporting.

It sounds like (in theory) a lot of the so-called "new jobs" are people patrolling the Mexican border and building the wa... er.... fence.

So really, how's it helping those Rust Belt types who tipped the election that all the new jobs will be in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Kromm said:

So really, how's it helping those Rust Belt types who tipped the election that all the new jobs will be in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California?

They can receive stipends and buttons to wear as professional rally props, of course. They can build rafts to float on their sinkholes or spread blankets on the fracked to shit land and soak in the toxic rays as they chant "build the wall, build the wall" and drink the Trump Kool Aid they received from an airdrop. 

• Love 10

The Pumpkin Pied Piper mentioned at some point in the campaign that he was going to leave Medicare alone. HA HA HA! Little did he realize he'd just be the stooge for Paul Ryan's master plan of further demeaning our nation's poorest and most vulnerable people. 

Warning (and I'm being serious): this is a harrowing read. 

The War on the Poor: Donald Trump's win opens the door to Paul Ryan's vision for America

“I’ve been working on these issues since 1972,” Robert Greenstein, the founder and president of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and Washington’s leading advocate for poor and low-income Americans, says. “This is by far the gravest threat to the safety net, and to low-income people, that I’ve seen in my close to half a century of working on these issues. I think there’s a potential in the first seven months, by the August recess, for Congress to pass policies that do more to increase poverty and hardship and widen inequality than we’ve seen in half a century.”

And, of course, the news of the day is that Drumpf dropped his promise to have a special prosecutor to look into Hillary's "situation" and have her jailed.  Of course, his pronouncement to have Hillary jailed was greeted with cheers by his raucous, Hillary-hating supporters.  They were fed on a steady diet of "crooked Hillary" and claims of her corruption.  Meanwhile, his own shit is raggedy and his supporters willfully chose to ignore the many examples of his corruption.

Well, of course, now he's had to drop his threat, which I'm sure was a stab in the heart to every Hillary hater in the land.  What ever are they going to do with those T-shirts now?  They were so pressed to see her locked up that not once did it occur to them that in a democracy, it isn't up to the president to decide which alleged crimes should be prosecuted--especially against his/her political enemies.  His brags had no merit to begin with, but these people couldn't see past what they wanted.  All he did was throw red meat to the masses, and they ate it right on up.

Newsflash:  You all have been PLAYED!  And, played BIGLY!  Add that to the tally of broken campaign promises.  I suspect that there will be a end run to purchase anti-bacterial wipes so that those who believed Drumpf's lies will be wiping the egg from their faces over the next several months.

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

Newsflash:  You all have been PLAYED!  And, played BIGLY!  Add that to the tally of broken campaign promises.  I suspect that there will be a end run to purchase anti-bacterial wipes so that those who believed Drumpf's lies will be wiping the egg from their faces over the next several months.

One by one, they're going to have to rationalise and dry their eyes, each of his campaign promises. Not prosecuting Hillary only hurts their lust for blood and entertainment, but when they find themselves without health insurance, without jobs, without any hope of him ever delivering on anything he promised, perhaps one or two of them might actually realise he's played them for complete mugs.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

Some source material they might like to consult:

9781409555896.jpg

On 11/16/2016 at 8:22 PM, ruby24 said:

The Republicans never bothered to come up with a replacement plan of their own all these years. The truth is, the ACA pretty much WAS a Republican plan originally, created by the Heritage foundation.

If Obamacare (as the ACA was often derisively called with Obama) was originally a Republican plan, why did Republicans constantly act like Democrats and Obama were to blame for it?!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

Well, of course, now he's had to drop his threat, which I'm sure was a stab in the heart to every Hillary hater in the land.  What ever are they going to do with those T-shirts now?  They were so pressed to see her locked up that not once did it occur to them that in a democracy, it isn't up to the president to decide which alleged crimes should be prosecuted--especially against his/her political enemies. 

It still doesn't occur to them.  They're saying that it's her money and connections that got her off and no one should be above the law like that.

So what she's left with is the impression that she is guilty but she unfairly got off because the system is so corrupt.  Added to everything else, that's really nasty to her.

• Love 6