Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Me, Myself, And O

Tara Ariano

I actually liked this ep! (not the least because they stole the title from Dunham, who used to amuse me but now just comes off as "if Bryce was a woman")

Yay Liza figuring it all out, and Liza & Kelsey closing the deal.  Kelsey is a fine example of loyalty, smarts, and charm -- all in a normally-despised millennial wrapping.  (See: I *said* I had a pro- rant in me!)

Ughhhh on the Geo Martin knockoff. Reminds me of every professor who ever put their arm around me in grad school.

• Love 1

Thank goodness that faux GRRM's one condition was just doubling the original offer. Watching him slurp down all those oysters at dinner, I was afraid he was going to tell Liza she had to sleep with him (especially after she told him that Charles didn't know she was there). It's nice to know that Kelsey's frenemy was truly trying to give her first dibs on the manuscript. I still don't trust him, but at least he really was trying to help her and Empirical out by offering the manuscript to her first. I totally understand why she turned it down though. As she said, a first time author who won't do publicity? Not a great idea.

Josh really annoyed me in this episode because it is NEVER okay to have sex with your boyfriend at your boss's house during a work event. If that makes me an old lady, so be it. Liza told him no several times and he kept trying to get her to change her mind. STFU, Josh.

• Love 6

Usually something like that would bother me a lot too, but I took it less as a sign of him being aggressive sexually (and Liza often seems to want to be convinced to do things, not just sexual things, but new dinner experiences, new camping, so forth--she's awful that way in always wanting people to convince her to do things that I suspect she wants to do, but if someone talks her into it, she's still a "good girl").  It seemed more like Josh doesn't really understand, in a deeper sense, the kind of hierarchy that a corporate workplace has, even a friendly, artistic one like a book publisher.  I'm sure he's always worked for people running small businesses, like his now, and he was friends with them as well as employee, and it's a social faux pas to have sex in their house, but not a career destroyer.  But if Liza was actually able to say no to anyone, I don't think he would have kept at it.  (She always says no, but in that way that says she wants someone to convince her to say yes. Her no's are for show, in other words, a lot of the time.)

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

It seemed more like Josh doesn't really understand, in a deeper sense, the kind of hierarchy that a corporate workplace has, even a friendly, artistic one like a book publisher.  I'm sure he's always worked for people running small businesses, like his now, and he was friends with them as well as employee, and it's a social faux pas to have sex in their house, but not a career destroyer.

I don't know—having sex at someone's house during a what is clearly a work function seems an obvious no-no to me. But I'm an olds.

Kelsey and Liza's expressions when they put together who the erotica author was were hilarious. Though the book sounds like he just recycled sex scenes from his other novels, so it doesn't sound like it would be hard for other people to figure it out, especially given his rather distinct writing style. At any rate, it was great to see Michael Urie again. I hope he continues to pop up.

Would Orthodox women really freak out like that at a shiksa in the mikva? Their reaction seemed really extreme.

• Love 4

I'm sure the reaction was overdone for the sake of "comedy", but I wouldn't be surprised if the mikveh had to be drained and cleansed after a shiksa entered it. They are very sacred spaces. That said, I blame Liza more than Maggie. Maggie genuinely thought it was just a spa, but Liza seemingly picked up on the religious significance, and, IMHO, didn't do an emphatic enough job deterring her from getting in. 

• Love 1

Oh, I know the reaction was overdone. I was wondering if there would be a reaction at all. (Aside from an "Uh, you know this is a religious thing, right?") If anyone's in the wrong, I think it's the woman at the front desk, who should have said something. She knew enough to ask about wigs.

Edited by dubbel zout

I've never seen women in a mikveh together.  Ever.  Men, maybe, but women go once a month, and it is a very private, personal and spiritual experience.  It's not a spa party.  The only non-Jews I have ever known to go to a mikveh were there for the purpose of conversion.  I know the scene was done for comedy, but it rang really, really false..

I know, right??  The whole set-up had me confused.  Especially because Maggie's Nice Jewish Girl didn't explain it.  Neither did Maggie's ohsohelpful ex (surprise!).

There was a brief shot of the Mikveh being drained after.

The women's reax to Maggie cracked me up.  It was like a boy had just wandered into a middle school lockerroom.

10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't know—having sex at someone's house during a what is clearly a work function seems an obvious no-no to me. But I'm an olds.

No it's not just you, I am 100% sure that with all but the most permissive bosses, having sex would not go over well at any work function at the boss's house.  And I've been at many boss's house functions.  Whatever subordinates do is considered part of work duties and being on one's best work behavior is expected.  Having sex plus sneaking around and doing such private x rated things on the boss's property without his or her permission in areas of the house not designated for the party would be considered an act of disrespect and even insubordination.  It can be a fine line to tread, especially if alcohol is served.  So I don't think it's an "olds" thing at all.

• Love 2

Josh really annoyed me in this episode because it is NEVER okay to have sex with your boyfriend at your boss's house during a work event. If that makes me an old lady, so be it. Liza told him no several times and he kept trying to get her to change her mind. STFU, Josh.

I just wanted Liza to be like: "You know if we are caught, I'll be humiliated and fired, right?  Is that what you want for me?"  In a way, it's a subtle moment to show Josh's immaturity without having it be a big thing. 

Would Orthodox women really freak out like that at a shiksa in the mikva? Their reaction seemed really extreme.

I think the women would absolutely be upset, but obviously the line here was just for comedy.  It did surprise me a little bit that Maggie did not get where they were at all, or that it had religious significance.  It's not like Orthodox Judaism is going to be entirely foreign to someone living in Brooklyn.

On a positive note, I thought Liza looked very nice in the dark blue/flower-ish(?) dress she was wearing at the office.   

That was one of the most boring and pointless television episodes I have watched this year.  Maybe I just need to pay better attention but it was really hard to.

I'll say Debi Mazar looks beautiful

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I actually liked this episode.  I like the way they're creating jealousy with Charles' new girlfriend.   I can see her and Liza becoming "frenemies".  I knew that eventually Charles would not be able to contain his interest in Liza and Josh would continue to show himself to be a little immature for her.  Hand job at the baseball game?  Sure, Liza's having her fun momentarily but stuff like that will get old after a while when her post divorce freedom phase passes.  Perhaps the real "bad pancake" of this series has been Josh all this time.

So now Liza has shared a secret with Charles.  I hope this sets her up to have courage to share her BIG secret with him.  I would LOVE to see what happens after he is so taken with her that she can reveal it to him and not worry about losing her job.  I would find something very tantalizing about that situation.  But if he is still crazy about her afterward she may have to leave Empirical anyway to get involved with him.  I am hoping that they will eventually get involved.  I think with Charles "still waters run deep" and she may bring out a more exciting side of him.  I love the sexual tension they're building between them.  When they finally get together it's going to be like ba-BAM!  I can dream about that, can't I?

Edited by Snarklepuss
Redundant word.
  • Love 1

I like the way they're creating jealousy with Charles' new girlfriend.   I can see her and Liza becoming "frenemies". 

I feel like this will end up a situation where another outside party learns Liza's "secret," tries to use it against her and then fails for whatever reason.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

No it's not just you, I am 100% sure that with all but the most permissive bosses, having sex would not go over well at any work function at the boss's house.  And I've been at many boss's house functions.  Whatever subordinates do is considered part of work duties and being on one's best work behavior is expected.  Having sex plus sneaking around and doing such private x rated things on the boss's property without his or her permission in areas of the house not designated for the party would be considered an act of disrespect and even insubordination.  It can be a fine line to tread, especially if alcohol is served.  So I don't think it's an "olds" thing at all.

Yes, I was surprised Liza happily went upstairs with Josh in Charles's house at all. It was only when she realized what Josh wanted to do that she had an issue with it, whereas I think going into that room--period--was iffy.

• Love 4

So I'm not loving how many people Liza is running into that live some kind of double life or have some parallels to her own situation. It feels lazy.

Aside from that, I thought it was a pretty good episode. True, there were some misleading things. For example, from the preview last week it seemed like Charles' girlfriend was following him up the stairs in a possessive way to send a message to Liza. And I swear from the preview I assumed Moore was going to be gay and putting up a front of being overly lascivious towards "Pam Pam" to throw people off. I'm not sure I like the Audrey thing because if it was that easy for Liza and Kelsey to figure it out, it'll be a snap for obsessive Crown of Kings fans if there are that many phrases in common. At the very least it might come across as COK erotic fanfiction like 50 Shades of Grey/Twilight.

But the thing I loved was that this storyline gave Sutton a lot of room to play and she was adorable. It's not exactly broad comedy or physical comedy but all of the mugging and faces she was making. It was the exact right level of cartoonish and silly for a show like this.

And while I hope we're not back to Diana being relegated to pining over Charles, she delivered her "foot in mouth" lines really well. Considering how little they use her, I hope she makes a movie or something while she's filming this show. 

Michael Urie always makes me happy.

Liza's outfits were better this week. Until we got to the poncho. Speaking of Michael Urie, that was worse than the infamous Ugly Betty poncho.

It felt like Maggie got the dud of a plotline this week. And it made me question if she's a very good actress. Some of her line deliveries were way off.

Edited to add that I also loved the random dig at Chelsea Handler for being... an old soul, mannish, with a big personality and a scary laugh.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1