Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Seventh Layer

I liked it a lot. Earlier I was vaguely wondering if Vernon would be unbearable in larger doses, but (for me) it turns out he's not! Still great. And Paul, I've often disliked him for what I think is his own passive-aggressive role in his domestic misery, but I liked him here.

I do really hope we get an episode centered on the rappers next season. (I assume even a show this confident in doing whatever it wants to isn't going to do two episodes in one season that don't feature the core cast.)

• Love 2

I didn't hate this one, but I am missing the whole ensemble together.  Jimmy is my favorite character and at this point it seems like every other male on the show has gotten more screentime and more to do this season, which really bums me out.

My absolute favorite part was Vernon saying, "I've seen The Grey.  I ain't bottle fightin' no wolfs!"  (Pronounced "woofs").  It was in all the promos and made me laugh every single time.

13 minutes ago, EdnasEdibles said:

I couldn't care less about either of these characters so I barely paid attention tonight. Vernon annoys me and Paul just infuriates me. 

Same here. There are characters who are meant to be tertiary characters (I'd include Lindsey in this , to be honest), and work better that way. This was an example, for me, of why that is.

• Love 2

So, I guess Lindsay is still pregnant. Good to know. Otherwise, this was a fairly interesting "bottle" episode I guess. Paul looks far less dorky without the glasses, somehow. I think I would have liked it better if Vernon had just gone ahead and run off to Tijuana like he planned. Maybe Paul too. Although Paul really needs to file for divorce and full custody if that baby has any hope of surviving. 

• Love 1

Terrific! The 7th layer indeed! It was great to flush out that extra side of these two who have been pretty two dimensional as we interact them exclusively through the other members of the group. We get to see that extra bit of humanity that grounds the core characters so well.

It'll be polarizing, just as the Rafi and Dirty Randy episodes for the League were, but I thought this worked much better by taking a look at what makes two characters who appear to be polar opposites but actually share very similar experiences as a result of their wives inherent characters and awfulness.

It's frustrating that we have to rely on the quality short run shows like this to take these risks. How many 22 episode network shows could benefit from this sort of episode?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

It's frustrating that we have to rely on the quality short run shows like this to take these risks. How many 22 episode network shows could benefit from this sort of episode?

I mean, there was Community.

Main thing this episode showed was that Paul is in anguish.

He did all he could to get home because he didn't want Lindsay to be alone with what's his name.

Then he was ready to say enough but the near-death experience made him realize he'll put up with anything to be part of the baby's life, even all of Lindsay's BS.

So he is fairly successful and probably could get some other woman who wouldn't put him through what Lindsay has put him through.  But he's like an only child by virtue of the fact that his nearest siblings are about 20 years older than him, so maybe he wants to constitute the family that he didn't have?

Didn't hate it, and I laughed a few times. But I look forward to this show, and this was not rewarding that anticipation.   

Onto nit picky points, it's nearly impossible to pour diesel into a gasoline car.  The dispensing nozzles are too wide to fit into the gas tank of a gasoline car.  I thought Paul was in a cock cage.  You can't just siphon diesel out of a car vans have it run.   

This has been two episodes of this stuff out of nine. Might be pushing tolerance levels  

4 hours ago, GinnyMars said:

I'm bad a family trees, but, any chance Paul's "Uncle Nephew" was actually his father? He did say they shared a medical condition...

I think Paul said Uncle Nephew was six years older than him, so he probably isn't Paul's secret father.

Edited by arc