Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: For Tonight We Might Die

ApathyMonger

Found it a bit uneven. I thought of 'Todd and the Book of Pure Evil'. Totally different show but a similar focus on alienated students. I am older and high school was a long time ago. Liked some of the jokes. Miss Quill is interesting with her terrorist/freedom fighter backstory. And she has The Doctor's number.

• Love 2

I was jumping around to different things, and settled on this.   So is Peter Capaldi going to be in more of these?  There were some recognizable faces.  I saw one actress who was on Hollyoaks, and they killed off her character pretty quickly.  The guy that was fighting one of the monsters and got his leg severed looked like a young David Tennant, or his stunt double did.   I was surprised when Capaldi showed up.  "Time never forgets."  

"It's like a hellmouth"  (skip over OUAT)

"Or The Vampire Diaries" 

"You watch Vampire Diaries?"

"Everyone's very attractive."

"Yes, it's true"

• Love 1

I'll have to re-watch.   I'm not sure what to think of it.  The preview of the next episode doesn't look so good.   The Doctor probably isn't going to come and save the day at the end of each episode.   I agree that Ms Quill got interesting as the episode progressed.   So there's six kids.  It's kind of like Misfits.  There's a gay male couple, like on Torchwood.  It seems like they took some puzzle parts and re-arranged them to form another show.  

Anna Shaffer is the name of the actress that was on Hollyoaks.  I didn't even know that she was in the Harry Potter movies, since I've never seen them. 

Was it perfect?  No. Was it entertaining? Yes!

Loved the entrance of The Doctor. I was completely surprised. I think Ms Quill was overacted whilst The Prince, underacted.

Hoping the cast levels out over time. 

I've been painfully watching L&O SVU and it's so poorly written, it's refreshing to have something keep my attention. 

• Love 1

I'll give it some time to find itself. Not perfect, but entertaining. Cute kids. Ms. Quill looks like a cross between young Helen Mirren and young Bridget Fonda. Hopefully, she'll mellow a bit over time.

We're never going to see anything or anyone related to Sarah Jane Adventures, are we? I mean, this does look good. I get the cussing and sexuality. And I'm certain no woman is going turn guys into ash through sex. It's a happy medium of the extremes of SJA and Torchwood. I dunno . . . this is in the same vein as SJA, only the Doctor comes in right away to make things official. Also, Miss Quill is basically the anti-Sarah Jane. "Sonic lipstick?!? I wish I could use that! It's so stupid, but I'd kill for that! But then that would kill me!! Did I mention I'm a freedom fighter enslaved to her victor? It's like Firefly, but worse!!!"

ETA: We're also never going to have William Russell (always "William"; us Americans have a "Bill") as Ian Chesterton, are we? Wasn't he the superintendent when (shudder) Clara was teaching there? I'm thinking he would have retired/stepped down after Coal Hills' makeover.

It was an interesting show but having just binge watched all seven seasons of Buffy before it left Netflix, I couldn't help comparing them, to Class's disadvantage.  "Hellmouth" reference was totally Sunnydale, Ms Quill was no Giles but served a similar expository and helpful purpose, there was a gang of teen angst ridden Scoobies of sorts, and how many times did Buffy have to save prom!  The prince was not really like Angel, but hey - pretty boy with a tortured soul?

The Buffy comparison didn't bother me because after all Buffy was playing on older tropes anyway.  But i found the whole alien prince and angry terrorist protector sort of boring.  They didn't really need that.  I would simply prefer a story where the fabric of time and space meant that they had to convince themselves to band together as teenagers (with the occasional appearance of the Doctor).  Starting off with the shadows and the two hearts make it too much about the other conflict.

Although I was curious what the prince said to the cabinet of the souls at the end.

On 4/17/2017 at 2:26 PM, CatWarmer said:

and how many times did Buffy have to save prom! 

Just once, actually, in "The Prom". Although "Prophecy Girl" also took place on a prom night, but the battle was in the library and we didn't see the prom.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 3

Okay first episode but it contained one of the most ridiculously unbelievable things I've ever seen on a Dr. Who or Who related show. The entire prom committee apparently consisted of a sole student who no one else wanted to help even though it was prom. Either prom in the UK inhabits a much lower level of importance than it does in the US or April is not merely unpopular but actively antipopular.

Also, when in the school year is this supposed to take place? In the US prom comes right before the end of the school year/graduation.

Edited by Terrafamilia
spelling is good
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Terrafamilia said:

Okay first episode but it contained one of the most ridiculously unbelievable things I've ever seen on a Dr. Who or Who related show. The entire prom committee apparently consisted of a sole student who no one else wanted to help even though it was prom. Either prom in the UK inhabits a much lower level of importance than it does in the US or April is not merely unpopular but actively antipopular.

Also, when in the school year is this supposed to take place? In the US prom comes right before the end of the school year/graduation.

I thought the same thing.  Why is this one girl doing any of this? 

The sign said Autumn Prom, so perhaps this wasn't the big main prom, but really just a regular dance that they were calling a "prom."

14 hours ago, ALenore said:

The sign said Autumn Prom, so perhaps this wasn't the big main prom, but really just a regular dance that they were calling a "prom."

Yeah. I think that's it. There wasn't even a Prom King and Prom Queen, and Wikipedia tells me that "proms" have caught on in the UK relatively recently, mostly because of teens watching US television.