7. Poltergeist (1982)
8. Sleepy Hollow (1999)
9. Panic Room (2002)
10. House of 1000 Corpses (2003)
11. Boo (2005)
12. Trick 'r Treat (2009)
13. Evil Dead (2013)

• Love 1

Is this started by a bot or a sales team?  It kind of smacks of hacker to me.  Especially given the other thread with all thirteen titles in the subject heading.

I wondered where Carnival of Souls (1962) was.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

The Uninvited (1944)

and that's just off the top of my head.  Definitely scarier than Panic Room or The Amityville Horror.

Love, love, LOVE that movie. I also like The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. 

Probably a hacker but still a fun topic so I will play! Being a paranormal author, I am into ghost stories and not so much into gore. Here are my top 13 movies for Halloween. 

1. The Orphanage (My favorite horror movie of the last decade. Loved every minute of it. Just wait until you see the "Simon Says" game...) 

2. Lake Mungo (Not usually a fan of found footage films but this documentary style truly kept me riveted. A sad, disturbing ghost story in the end.) 

3.The Uninvited (1944) (Now why can't I find a big, old, reasonably-priced house by the ocean like this? The ghost could stay.) 

4. The Lady in White (I have a thing for creepy child ghosts. And New England towns in the fall. And ghost stories.) 

5. Event Horizon (This remains one of the few movies that actually creeps me out.)

6. Rosemary's Baby (I don't even care that it's now campy.As soon as Ruth Gordon appears on the screen I actually cheer.) 

7. Julia (aka Full Circle) (I am a huge Peter Straub fan and I loved this novel. Such a fascinating story of ghosts and mental illness.) 

8. Session 9 (loved this film so much that I traveled to Danvers, MA to explore the mental hospital used in the film) 

9. The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (I am not so much into romances but the relationship between Mrs Muir and the captain actually makes me a little mushy)

10. Hocus Pocus (it's not scary but it's the best Sarah Jessica Parker ever looked)

11. Sleepy Hollow (Grew up watching the cartoon musical so I have a soft place for the story) 

12. Haunted (with Aiden Quinn & Kate Beckinsale) (I love old-fashioned ghost stories and this one ranks high on my list, especially given the old British manor house and creepy locale)

13. Poltergeist (I still maintain that the original is an excellent love story depicting the unique bond between mother and child) 

• Love 2
On 10/19/2016 at 2:08 AM, Petunia13 said:

I would put Martyrs, High Tension, and The Visit on there. 

Haven't seen Martyrs, but heard a lot about it. High Tension is fun. It reminded me SO much of Dean Koontz's "Intensity" that I can't see how it wasn't inspired by it. 

2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Haven't seen Martyrs, but heard a lot about it. High Tension is fun. It reminded me SO much of Dean Koontz's "Intensity" that I can't see how it wasn't inspired by it. 

I'll definitely watch High Tension now. I found it by googling, but skipped it yesterday, because I'd had no sleep, and subtitles were too much to ask me to sit through. ;) I loved "Intensity".

• Love 1

I am difficult to scare. The only two movies that have disturbed me whatsoever in my adult life are The Ring (I said "that wasn't a mind-fuck, that was a mind-ASS RAPE" when asked about it) and the first half of It Follows. The second half of It Follows is so fucking stupid that I highly recommend everyone watching turn it off completely when 

Spoiler

you see the ghost start walking up behind them on the beach.

• Love 1
On October 18, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Captanne said:

Is this started by a bot or a sales team?  It kind of smacks of hacker to me.  Especially given the other thread with all thirteen titles in the subject heading.

I wondered where Carnival of Souls (1962) was.

This is their only post, so I'd agree it's fishy.

For anyone who has seen a lot of the classics and is interested in one of the newer horror movies: I recommend Insidious and Sinister out of the lot. Most of the new horror films in the past few years are retreads/garbage, but these two are amusing comparatively speaking (stay away from their god awful sequels). They aren't as good as the ones listed here, but they're acceptable. 

For modern scares, the two "Conjuring" films and the Australian film "The Babadook" are incredibly disturbing.

Most of the classics mentioned above are excellent. I would add "The Haunting" (the original, with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom), and "Diabolique".

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, peacheslatour said:

I'm watching Session 9 right now. Scary stuff.

I loved that movie so much that, in 2005, I drove 10 hours up to MA and explored Danvers Hospital. It was abandoned at the time and though other urban explorers often went there, I was the only person there at the time. In 2009 I took my family back. By then, most of the buildings had been torn down. The parts of the Kirkbride Building (the main one) that was still standing had been converted into condos.

Now THAT is a horror movie waiting to happen...

The three most intense horror movies I've seen:  The Descent, 30 Days of Night, and 28 Days Later.  There were moments where I had to actually look away because they overwhelmed me.  The Descent, in particular, is incredibly claustrophobic, and has a rare all female cast. 

• Love 1

As a longtime horror with a preference for classic old-school terror, I would add

1. "Wolf Creek", a superb and terrifying story that takes its time building to the horror and actually makes you care about the characters.

2. The original "Last House on the Left" directed by Wes Craven.

3. Anything Sam Raimi but for real fun, "Drag me to Hell."

4. "The Conjuring."

5. I have seen "Rosemary's  Baby" 100 times I think LOL and it never fails to amaze me.

• Love 2