Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Maddy

This girl came off more selfish than anyone I've ever seen on this show...hey, you're gonna be a dad,no she's not gonna have your name,i wouldn't even talk to you normally, can i live here..Nevermind I'm taking her far away... I hope that baby daddy gets a lawyer and gets 50/50 custody. poor kid had no say in any of this (fine, except in the conception) and actually seems to want to be involved

• Love 1

I think these people were on the wrong show. They should have been on TLC's "My Teen is Pregnant and So Am I". 

I have to wonder if Maddy's mom told her earlier that she couldn't live there after the baby was born? I can't say I blame her. Having two babies in a house full of people would not be fun. But Maddy seemed to be figuring things out at the last minute, which kind of forced her to choose moving in with Cody. If she had known from day one, maybe she would have figured it out earlier? Or even chose another option, like adoption. I did feel badly for Cody's parents, though. They built a freaking room in their house for that baby! And it was really well done, a beautiful little room. You could tell on the night when Maddy went there to see where they would build the room that she didn't want to do it. She should have said so then. But at any rate, at least when Cody has his daughter she will have a room there. 

• Love 2

What in the world was up with her hairline? It was so distracting I couldn't concentrate on the fascinating story. Lol. I assume it had to do with the fantastic dye job, but her forehead looked so odd I couldn't stand it.

Her hair was so distracting, I was having a hard time focusing on her story. I did not understand why her mom was insisting she move. She kept saying there was no room, but Maddy had a bedroom, why couldn't she have had the baby in there? My guess is that her insistence that Maddy move out was fueled by both anger and disappointment ("I told you you would have to move if you got pregnant) and because mom was afraid she would end up raising both babies while Maddy went back to her teen life. I did think it was supremely crappy of her to let Cody's parents build a nursery, then back out. But I can understand, she barely knew Cody and his family. That would be be very uncomfortable for her to live there. In the end, she is better off at her dad's. He has teh space. She was going to go to school online, so it's not like she had to transfer schools and as 16&P and TM have shown, once you have that baby, your friends all but disappear anyway (with a few exceptions).  

I did not understand why her mom was insisting she move. She kept saying there was no room, but Maddy had a bedroom, why couldn't she have had the baby in there? My guess is that her insistence that Maddy move out was fueled by both anger and disappointment ("I told you you would have to move if you got pregnant) and because mom was afraid she would end up raising both babies while Maddy went back to her teen life.

Well, even if Maddy has her own room, there's still a lot of stuff that comes with a baby. And it's not like she and the baby would be confined to her room at all times. I was thinking the mom just meant it was too crowded of a place for two babies - what with all the crying, late nights, baby gear, etc. I could sympathize with the mom. Having a newborn is tough work. What if you just get YOUR baby to sleep, then other one starts crying and wakes her back up again? 

I'm just curious when her mother told her this. If she waited until 38 weeks, that's really shitty. I have no idea what I would do in that situation, but I have a hard time imagining myself kicking my daughter and granddaughter out. It really was a tough situation on all sides. 

• Love 1

I could almost seeing mom saying you have to move if she had been dating Cody or had any relationship with his family. She suggested that Maddy go live with Cody. But she had to have known, unless Maddy didn't tell her, that Cody was a one night stand and she barely knew him. Who would want their  child and grandchild moving in with a family that you know nothing about? I just thought the whole thing was strange. 

Edited by poeticlicensed

Here's my post on the episode!

I think Jen would have preferred Maddy to move in with Brian (like she eventually did), but once Jen decided to stick to her guns and go through with kicking Maddy out, she kind of lost the right to dictate where Maddy went. I did feel bad-ish for Penny and Chad, but (a) when you make major decisions based on a dumb teenager's say-so, you kind of have to live with the possibility that said dumb teenager might change her mind, and (b) Maddy might have been more inclined toward Cody if he hadn't been completely worthless, so that's SORT OF on them as his parents.

The whole thing with his insistence on giving Aubrey his last name was gross to me. Clearly, it was just a macho thing to him to put his stamp on the baby, and/or (as I said in my post) the baby version of squatter's rights to try to horn in on Maddy's life when he could tell she didn't really want to date him.

• Love 1

I liked her well enough. She seemed to go with the flow and catch on quick to handling her baby, and went back to school quickly. I was actually relieved that she had the insight and the gumption to say that moving in with the baby daddy wasn't a good idea after all. Yeah, it sucks for his parents, but it would have been a disaster and Maddy moving in with her dad is ultimately going to be more peaceful and a better environment for both Maddy and Aubrey. I mean, the fact that she said she didn't have to force herself to be with him just because of the baby shows more understanding of the situation than we usually see on this show. It was refreshing to see a girl who isn't pining away and trying to force a family at the expense of her sanity and her child's best interests.

The baby daddy seemed like a douche though...I hate it when men act like it's their right to have their last name passed on to the child. Sure, it's traditional, but it's not your right. And not calling for weeks on end? Even if you work a lot, you can still make time for a phone call, if not a short visit. I see him becoming a deadbeat quickly.

Edited by Universalhunter
  • Love 3

Yeah, my sympathy for Cody all evaporated when he (accepting the show's version of events) doesn't call for weeks on end. There's just no excuse for not calling/texting more than that, even if you don't have time to drive over. I'd bet a lot of money that Cody was sleeping 7 hours every night and Maddy wasn't, so that's your additional time right there.

This episode left a lot of questions unanswered. Cody was working two jobs, so was he giving any money to Maddy to pay for Aubrey's needs? Did Cody's parents come down on him for not contacting Maddy? Did THEY ask to come and spend time with the baby, or at least ask how she was doing? MTV doesn't seem to have an after-show video up.

Interesting that Maddy's stepdad/Alyssa's father chose not to be on the show. Contrary to the Show-o-matic, I think he does exist and lives there, since Maddy's mom said that Maddy's baby would be the seventh person in the house. (Jen, Alyssa's dad, Maddy, brother Kyle, sister Emily, Alyssa, Aubrey). I also doubt that Jen could swing a house like that with four kids and a pool completely on her own. Tinley Park isn't fancy, but it's not dirt cheap, either. He might easily be part of the reason Jen wouldn't let Maddy stay there with the baby. t wonder if Maddy shared a room with Emily, and that's why keeping Aubrey in Maddy's room wouldn't work.

Her hairline was so distracting. It looked like she shaved her hairline back - you could see the stubble growing back after she had the baby (and her roots growing out). Is that like a thing?? Shaving your hairline? It looked terrible.

Good for her not giving the baby his last name just because he wanted her to.  The girls on this show always seem to give the baby the dad's last name, and then he turns out to be an uninvolved loser.  And surprise surprise, Cody turns out to be an univolved loser.

God but her hairline was distracting!  Is that something people do?  Shave their hairline like that?  And that guy's teeth, ew ew ew!  I could hardly concentrate on anything else but the hairline and teeth.

So these two barely know each other and their parents think it makes total sense for Maddy to just move into Cody's house?  And share a bed?  Or even a room?  If she moved in, why wouldn't she and the baby share a room?  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what a stupid idea that whole thing was.  His parents sure got to work building that room awfully quickly.  And did you see the look on Cody's mom's face when Maddy's mom asked if it was ok for Maddy to live with them?  She seemed totally desperate to get that baby.

Edited by Cocotte

This was a really interesting episode, as I don't think I have ever seen another girl from previous seasons pregnant by a one-night stand. I personally found Maddy likeable and realistic. She knew what she wanted and what she had to do and did it. I liked that about her.

I can't for the life of me understand how mothers can have such bad communication with their children. I feel that that is a reoccurring theme for almost every single girl from all five seasons. I was not a fan of the mother, but maybe I am biased because I hate when people walk away and mumble stuff under their breaths. It's rude and obnoxious. I also wasn't a fan about how she expected Maddy to make a choice to move in with Cody. If Maddy herself could recognize that was a terrible idea, why couldn't her own mother? Then again, I'm almost never a fan of parents on these shows.

Anyway, I wasn't too sympathetic for Cody. His mother yes, but not Cody. I felt like he had little reason to be upset when Maddy and Aubrey moved to Indiana because he hadn't seen her all but once, IIRC. I think he liked the idea of being able to see her whenever he wanted, but not actually following through.

ETA: I actually respected her all the more for "being selfish". I was glad when she gave the baby her own last name, especially since we saw how her relationship with Cody (did not) work out.

Edited by SpaghettiTuesdays
  • Love 2

Other than providing a nursery, I also didn't see Cody's parents standing in line to see their grandchild more than one time.  They had a right to be upset after spending the money, but why should any mother want to live in a house with people who don't care about her or her child, other than what money (or a last name) can buy?

I'm happy that baby doesn't have his last name.  It totally isn't neccessary that a child have the Dad's last name.

• Love 1

This was a really interesting episode, as I don't think I have ever seen another girl from previous seasons pregnant by a one-night stand.

I do believe Leah got pregnant with her Twins after hooking up with Corey in his truck?

(edited)

I think Leah knew Cory because they lived in a small town but hooked up with Cory only once in his truck and got pregnant.  She either was dating Robbie or had just broken up with Robbie - the same Robbie she slept with a week before her wedding to Cory.  Leah is a serial cheater.

Edited by uoflfan