Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

On 7/26/2022 at 1:48 PM, bluegirl147 said:

I thought about both of those.  It's not always easy for a single woman to be friends with a couple.  As these two examples point out, men can be real pigs.

Lord, do you remember when Carrie was friends with a couple because they would invite her to their house in the Hamptons? The guy was literally standing outside her bedroom door with no pants or underwear.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
On 7/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, RealHousewife said:

That's how my great aunts are spending their senior years. They're very happy, healthy women, and they also look fabulous. Everyone jokes that it's because they're single and never had kids either. 

For me personally, I've spend so much of my life single, I've had enough of it. I went from only being annoyed by other people single shaming me, to now really wanting a romantic partner and not wanting to live life without one. I don't know if the complete switch is due to being in my mid30s and knowing the click is ticking if I want kids or if I've just changed. Being more isolated due to covid, I also have less interaction with men than I used to. Maybe the male interaction and attention I had pre-covid kept me from feeling lonely. When I was younger, and still now somewhat, I dealt with so much anxiety, depression, disordered eating, etc., that getting settled down was least of my concerns. I was just trying to make it through each day, get to school, get to work, etc. (I look well put together on the outside but have been something of a mess on the inside for most of my life.) The white picket fence life never looked particularly fun to me either. I did always crave that SATC exciting lifestyle, being out on the town, dating and just having adventure. I was always too anxious to have that either though.

Since I missed out on so much in life, I really want marriage and kids to happen for me at this point. But I still believe they're not necessary for everyone. I've thought if I had a bigger family (more siblings, cousins, etc), that I might be able to go without kids. All I have are my parents and one sibling, so I'm just so scared of ending up alone. :( So many women in my life have been having babies the last couple of years, it has given me baby fever too. I know even that would have to wait awhile though. Even if I met Mr. Perfect tomorrow, I am not going to jump into anything a la Charlotte. I always knew I'd be an older mom if I got around to having kids, but I always thought ideally I'd have two by 40. I'm not crazy about having them too much older because I want to be around for them. Now I don't know if that's possible unless literally everything went my way, I had twins, or an easy adoption process. A girlfriend of mine just had a baby at 41 and would like to have more, so she gives me hope if I don't get two by 40.  

It's so strange I went from Miss Independent to feeling needy. The idea of ever being without a man gets me really down these days. I've always been attracted to older men, but I've even decided I want around my age or younger so hopefully I won't outlive the love of my life too long (if at all). I'm a very sensitive person and a depressive, and I don't know if I'm strong enough to handle that kind of loss.

Even though I have picked up some Charlotte qualities lately, I just think bottom line, people need people. Not everyone needs kids. Not everyone needs marriage. Not everyone needs the super close group of girlfriends like these four women. But you do need to have people to love and care about imo, one way or the other. I have friends, but unfortunately I do not have three super close friends I see all the time. Wish I did. 

On 7/26/2022 at 12:05 AM, RealHousewife said:

Yes. :) Do you also find you relate to SATC more the older you get? We were so young when the show started, it was mostly just escapist TV to watch glamorous ladies for me. I never thought the day would come where I could relate to Charlotte the degree I now do. Despite all my issues, since my teens I always got my fair share of male attention, and I never thought I'd get to my age and be single. I never thought I'd have to worry about fertility or want a relationship to progress super quickly. I find desperation and pushiness both so unattractive, even coming from someone as pretty as Charlotte. I promise I will never yell at a sweet boyfriend to set the date! 

My sister has a boyfriend, but she misses the days of seeing her friends without their husbands. She loves babies, but sometimes she gets tired of all the baby showers and everything being centered around mom life. She doesn't want to do brunch. She prefers a girls' night out. I think my sister, as many friends as she has, would also love that SATC group of very close women friends who constantly see one another. 

Yes, Charlotte even said once that they could all be one another's soulmates. :) 

What is weird is that when I was a kid, I loved the lives of single women on television compared to married women.

This was a time when it seemed like all the single ladies in the media were shamed (at least somewhat) about their single status. I was like "Are you crazy?". The single women seemed to live such exciting lives unencumbered by having to take care of a family. My mother used to find the single ladies so sad and I wanted to be just like them.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with being single or married as long as you are living the life you want to live and not just doing what society deems "proper".

I think SATC walked the line pretty well. I wish Carrie did not end up with Big because that is what happened to the real Carrie. I hope no woman wastes her life chasing an emotionally unavailable man because it worked out for Carrie.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

What is weird is that when I was a kid, I loved the lives of single women on television compared to married women.

This was a time when it seemed like all the single ladies in the media were shamed (at least somewhat) about their single status. I was like "Are you crazy?". The single women seemed to live such exciting lives unencumbered by having to take care of a family. My mother used to find the single ladies so sad and I wanted to be just like them.

Me too! I felt this way for the longest time. My anxiety got in the way of dating and other things, but I did not grow up dreaming of marriage or motherhood. 

I saw single ladies as having more excitement. Always out on the town, mingling, dating, allowed to flirt with whoever they wanted, do whatever they want. Never knowing what the next day would hold. Going home to a spouse and kids and watch TV and help with homework every single night did not appeal to me. 

It does now! And I also understand married folks can still have fun, you just have to find someone who's willing to share your hobbies or allow you your time to do what brings you joy.

Being single at my age, and so many friends of mine married, engaged, or with serious boyfriends, I don't always have a partner in crime to do things I want to do. At this point, even with children and more responsibilities, their lives look funner than mine in some ways. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, qtpye said:

I wish Carrie did not end up with Big because that is what happened to the real Carrie. I hope no woman wastes her life chasing an emotionally unavailable man because it worked out for Carrie.

So eloquently put. 

But I think the Carrie/Big situation happens a lot more than we realize. The "Big" gets older, and doesn't want to "hunt" for women anymore, is tired, so he gets with the woman that's always wanted him. This woman may be a mother to his children, or an ex wife, or a woman he just strung along for a decade or more. 

14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Being single at my age, and so many friends of mine married, engaged, or with serious boyfriends, I don't always have a partner in crime to do things I want to do. At this point, even with children and more responsibilities, their lives look funner than mine in some ways. 

I do miss having that consistent "partner in crime"- who was my BFF before she had her baby 7yrs ago (she is a single Mom). I have always had a pretty wide social circle, so I still have a lot of people to do with things with, I just rotate through the friend list. Making friends with childfree women does help, and I spend time with some of my older cousins (50s/60s)- the raising of children is over for them so they have more time to do fun things. 

• Love 5

I've been rewatching the series while convalescing from surgery.  I'm in S3, and I've encountered the same incredulousness re Running with Scissors that I felt originally. The previous episode ends with Aidan saying "I love you" and Carrie reciprocating.  Even Samantha believed you've crossed a line if you sleep with someone else after this happens -- and Carrie seems remorseful and ready to stop seeing Big.  But then RwS opens with Carrie and Big blithely meeting all over town and ultimately getting together in Big's own apartment where Carrie has the temerity to hang around casually showering and making herself at home until Natasha  returns.

I do believe this episode is where I started to kinda hate Carrie. 

• Like 3
  • Love 10

Carrie has the temerity to hang around casually showering and making herself at home until Natasha  returns.

And eating her leftover Chinese food, the foul witch.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
On 7/8/2021 at 5:50 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't take when they have Carrie read lines like that.  It's so fake.  It's like they have her say lines like that so the audience sympathizes with her.  "Awwwww, Carrie is so gracious, she sees that Natasha is so beautiful".  Everyone can see through it!  Natasha wouldn't be single if it wasn't for Big and Carrie's actions!  I mostly blame Big of course, but still!  I saw the exact moment where Carrie could have stopped the affair but didn't.  Aidan went away and she decided to "Call Big so that they could work things out".  LOL yeah right.  They went to a hotel and kept up the affair.

Yup, here's my post where I watched something similar.  I'm sure a lot of people started to turn on Carrie around this point.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I was remembering that scene where Carrie was invited to some event and she went 'cause she knew Natasha would be there (and she was dressed to the nines so as to rub Natasha's nose in it) and she was later making fun of Natasha 'cause Natasha made a spelling mistake on the card she sent Carrie; God, I hated that. Not only was Carrie sleeping with Natasha's husband, she was calling Natasha stupid and laughing at her. Natasha may not have been a good speller but we never saw her being anything else but gracious. She did not deserve Carrie's mocking just because Carrie was jealous and wanted to make herself be better than Natasha.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, christie said:

I was remembering that scene where Carrie was invited to some event and she went 'cause she knew Natasha would be there (and she was dressed to the nines so as to rub Natasha's nose in it) and she was later making fun of Natasha 'cause Natasha made a spelling mistake on the card she sent Carrie; God, I hated that. Not only was Carrie sleeping with Natasha's husband, she was calling Natasha stupid and laughing at her. Natasha may not have been a good speller but we never saw her being anything else but gracious. She did not deserve Carrie's mocking just because Carrie was jealous and wanted to make herself be better than Natasha.

All of these events happened before the affair took place.  A long time before, around 7 episodes.  I can understand Carrie's jealousy, even though she was kind of snotty about it.  Carrie was jealous of Natasha's height, looks, career, "classiness" so she used one of Carrie's strengths to make fun of her, the writing/spelling.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

All of these events happened before the affair took place.  A long time before, around 7 episodes.  I can understand Carrie's jealousy, even though she was kind of snotty about it.  Carrie was jealous of Natasha's height, looks, career, "classiness" so she used one of Carrie's strengths to make fun of her, the writing/spelling.

I might have been more understanding of all that, but calling her “the idiot stick figure with no soul” crossed the line. As did the affair later on.

Ludicrous that after all that, the writers still expected us to feel bad for Carrie when Natasha did not accept her apology.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I might have been more understanding of all that, but calling her “the idiot stick figure with no soul” crossed the line. As did the affair later on.

Yes. She hated Natasha for Big wanting her and not Carrie.  That wasn't Natasha's fault.  I'm not even sure that was Big's fault.  Yes he didn't treat Carrie all that well but he was under no obligation to not meet someone and get serious enough to ask them to marry him.  

12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ludicrous that after all that, the writers still expected us to feel bad for Carrie when Natasha did not accept her apology.

The writers viewed Carrie very differently than I viewed Carrie.  They saw her as a heroine and I viewed her as selfish narcissistic woman who never took responsibility for her poor choices.  The writers made sure things worked out for Carrie.   She lived way beyond her means and when she needed money to buy her apartment they had Charlotte give her the money.  And it was definitely give and not loan because we never heard a peep about Carrie paying her back. Even when she got that big advance for her book.  She runs off to Paris with Alek and upon realizing that was a mistake Big is there to come to her rescue.  

On 8/16/2022 at 9:21 AM, andidante said:

Carrie is my least favorite character in this show.

22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm sure a lot of people started to turn on Carrie around this point.

Did they want us to be on Carrie's side?  Did they expect us to feel sorry for her? If Natasha hadn't caught her in their apartment would Carrie have broke it off?  My theory is she wanted Big to leave Natasha for her. Even though she was still with Aiden.  She says she told Aiden because it was the right thing to do and the guilt and all that but I think she hoped after getting caught Big would be free to be with her.  

• Love 6

Have any of you watched Emily in Paris? From what I hear, the character gets everything she wants like Carrie Bradshaw, but doesn't deal with heartbreak. Maybe it's just about fun escapist TV? It is nice to live in a world where you have three very good friends who are like family, you live an amazing lifestyle no matter your career, and despite all the NYC competition you complain about, you still date tons of attractive, well-to-do men. 

• Love 4

I would like to give the writers the benefit of the doubt to think that they were trying to make Carrie a flawed protagonist, an anti-heroine like Tony Soprano, but when I read the things the writers say, for example defending Carrie for the "Ring a Ding Ding!" debacle, then I really don't have confidence.  I wonder if they always think Carrie was in the right.

I would love to find out what the writers actually think about the affair.  Do they defend it, do they defend Carrie?  Yes, people make mistakes and it's understandable but like I said, the way Carrie kept going after making the mistake multiple times and then hanging out in Natasha's house, it becomes really over the top.

I guess I should be thankful Carrie finally ended it after causing permanent damage to Natasha's face and teeth.  I guess that's the writers intending to show Carrie hitting bottom.

2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Have any of you watched Emily in Paris? From what I hear, the character gets everything she wants like Carrie Bradshaw, but doesn't deal with heartbreak. Maybe it's just about fun escapist TV? It is nice to live in a world where you have three very good friends who are like family, you live an amazing lifestyle no matter your career, and despite all the NYC competition you complain about, you still date tons of attractive, well-to-do men. 

I watched Season 1.  The online reaction to it seemed to be very poor, but it's so popular in the media and a second season was ordered right away.  I could not tolerate the second season.  There seemed to be nothing happening, no stakes, no interest, so I peaced out.

In Season 1, Emily gets a dream job in Paris.  However, she makes zero effort to learn any French.  Everyone around her speaks French but she never has to.  Everyone speaks English for her benefit.  That is already eye-rolling.  Yes, everything works out for her, from what I remember.  It's kind of like if Carrie lived in Paris but we all know Carrie would have a tantrum on Day 2 and call Big to rescue her.

EiP is definitely fun escapist TV.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I would like to give the writers the benefit of the doubt to think that they were trying to make Carrie a flawed protagonist, an anti-heroine like Tony Soprano, but when I read the things the writers say, for example defending Carrie for the "Ring a Ding Ding!" debacle, then I really don't have confidence.  I wonder if they always think Carrie was in the right.

I would love to find out what the writers actually think about the affair.  Do they defend it, do they defend Carrie?  Yes, people make mistakes and it's understandable but like I said, the way Carrie kept going after making the mistake multiple times and then hanging out in Natasha's house, it becomes really over the top.

I guess I should be thankful Carrie finally ended it after causing permanent damage to Natasha's face and teeth.  I guess that's the writers intending to show Carrie hitting bottom.

I watched Season 1.  The online reaction to it seemed to be very poor, but it's so popular in the media and a second season was ordered right away.  I could not tolerate the second season.  There seemed to be nothing happening, no stakes, no interest, so I peaced out.

In Season 1, Emily gets a dream job in Paris.  However, she makes zero effort to learn any French.  Everyone around her speaks French but she never has to.  Everyone speaks English for her benefit.  That is already eye-rolling.  Yes, everything works out for her, from what I remember.  It's kind of like if Carrie lived in Paris but we all know Carrie would have a tantrum on Day 2 and call Big to rescue her.

EiP is definitely fun escapist TV.

For me, Carrie is that friend/family member I love who is VERY flawed. I don't see her as this perfect heroine. She drives me crazy too, but between her charm and watching her so many years, I still have a soft spot for her. 

Gah, Natasha's poor beautiful face. 

I have a friend who loves it, but my sister (who loves SATC) thought it was annoying how Emily easily got everything. I guess the no stakes made the show boring for her. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, RealHousewife said:

I have a friend who loves it, but my sister (who loves SATC) thought it was annoying how Emily easily got everything. I guess the no stakes made the show boring for her. 

Yeah, from remembering the show forum, most of people's complaints were about Emily herself.

I liked the first season.  Great food, great fashion, great men.  It's just pure eye candy with VERY light drama.

2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

For me, Carrie is that friend/family member I love who is VERY flawed. I don't see her as this perfect heroine. She drives me crazy too, but between her charm and watching her so many years, I still have a soft spot for her. 

Yes, even though Carrie was often written to be an asshole, SJP is incredibly charming.  There's something about her that makes some women love her.  It would be totally different with another actor.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I liked the first season.  Great food, great fashion, great men.  It's just pure eye candy with VERY light drama.

Second season had a little more drama.  It was enjoyable enough for me I will watch the third season.

Yes, even though Carrie was often written to be an asshole, SJP is incredibly charming.  There's something about her that makes some women love her.  It would be totally different with another actor.

I might be in the minority but I don't like SJP. I don't find her charming.  I sense a fakeness to  her.  

I think SJP had a lot to do with Carrie being written the way she was.  As I've said before I think the line between SJP and Carrie blurred at some point for SJP.  IMO she thought of herself as Carrie and I could see the difference in how she was now being written. It was after the affair she became very judgy.  Especially towards Samantha.  

• Love 5

I'm sure a lot of people started to turn on Carrie around this point.

I kind of liked pre-affair Carrie, even while recognizing her less than good qualities. She had her annoying moments, but she was still rather endearing.

I tolerated her during the affair. Even though I thought she was very selfish and horrible throughout it, it was still good, fun, engaging soap opera.

Where I finally flipped was when after the affair Carrie chased Natasha all town over to get closure. Never mind that Carrie was probably one of the last two people on the planet that Natasha wanted to see at that point, and yet Carrie still forced a meeting with Natasha even though even Stevie Wonder could see Natash was purposely avoiding Carrie. Carrie didn't want to get closure for Natasha's sake. Carrie wanted to feel better about herself, and probably was hoping Natasha would forgive her. Which was when I started to say "Oh fuck off, Carrie! The woman owes you NOTHING!"

Charlotte called it correctly, Carrie didn't give a toss about Natasha or her feelings, it was all about how Carrie felt throughout the affair, and even after it.

So yeah, after that, Carrie was definitely my least favorite of the four, and I definitely began noticing her more annoying and even toxic habits much much more (the "Ring a Ding Ding!" nonsense being a prime example).

Count me in as one of those people who thinks SJP is ok, but nowhere near as charming as others make her out to be.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 5
On 8/16/2022 at 5:47 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

On 8/16/2022 at 8:29 PM, Spartan Girl said:

See, I never thought the writers expected us to feel bad for Carrie. I thought the writing for Carrie was VERY realistic in that situation. You know Carrie is wrong, but a lot of people could relate to the pettiness and the cattiness towards someone that did nothing to you. 

I think for a lot of people Carrie crossed the line when she was in Natasha's HOUSE eating her FOOD and then RAN AWAY when Natasha came home. Of course Big too was the fucking scum of the earth (you don't bring the side piece into your marital home and fuck them in your bed you share with your partner, and then let them help themselves like a guest), but the audience was supposed to be on Natasha's side when she caught Carrie and hurt her tooth. I think the actual realization that you were in someone else's house and they caught you, snapped Carrie back into reality. She was decent enough to get Natasha to the hospital, and when Big arrived she realized "oh he is coming to see his wife", and this entire thing was a mess.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:11 PM, Hiyo said:

Where I finally flipped was when after the affair Carrie chased Natasha all town over to get closure. Never mind that Carrie was probably one of the last two people on the planet that Natasha wanted to see at that point, and yet Carrie still forced a meeting with Natasha even though even Stevie Wonder could see Natash was purposely avoiding Carrie. Carrie didn't want to get closure for Natasha's sake. Carrie wanted to feel better about herself, and probably was hoping Natasha would forgive her. Which was when I started to say "Oh fuck off, Carrie! The woman owes you NOTHING!"

Charlotte called it correctly, Carrie didn't give a toss about Natasha or her feelings, it was all about how Carrie felt throughout the affair, and even after it.

100% Carrie was just as self centered as Big could be at points. Remember when she did the same thing to Nina Katz over the face?

On 8/17/2022 at 3:49 PM, RealHousewife said:

I feel like I'm in the minority on this forum in that I do think SJP is charming. lol I think it's her talent that made a character as flawed as Carrie somewhat likable. 

I like SJP. I don't adore her, but I think she is funny and I have enjoyed a lot of her roles.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

100% Carrie was just as self centered as Big could be at points. Remember when she did the same thing to Nina Katz over the face?

Carrie never wanted anyone to think less of  her or not like her.  Problem was she made it so easy sometimes to not like her.  I think that also describes SJP.

I like SJP. I don't adore her, but I think she is funny and I have enjoyed a lot of her roles.

Most of her roles after she started SATC remind me of Carrie.  I did enjoy some of the movies but that didn't have a lot to do with her.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Most of her roles after she started SATC remind me of Carrie.  I did enjoy some of the movies but that didn't have a lot to do with her.  

My favorite roles of hers were Shelly in The First Wives Club, Sarah Sanderson in Hocus Pocus, Meredith Morton in The Family Stone.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

My favorite roles of hers were Shelly in The First Wives Club, Sarah Sanderson in Hocus Pocus, Meredith Morton in The Family Stone.

I do love First Wives Club but I found Shelly so annoying.  Meredith in the Family Stone I thought was a more uptight Carrie.  But she did good in the role.  I liked Smart People.  She was an ER doctor who gets involved with a man who had been her college professor.  She was the sane character surrounded by people that were not as sane.  

• Love 3

I certainly like SJP as an actor, and find her very charming as an actor.

As a person........ I don't know.  I feel so much partiality towards Kim Cattrall but who could ever know what happened there.  I just think that SJP has handled things so badly, especially when she has so much more power than Kim does in the situation.

I also really like Honeymoon in Vegas, Failure to Launch, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Til There Was You.  I pretty much like her in everything. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I certainly like SJP as an actor, and find her very charming as an actor.

As a person........ I don't know.  I feel so much partiality towards Kim Cattrall but who could ever know what happened there.  I just think that SJP has handled things so badly, especially when she has so much more power than Kim does in the situation.

I also really like Honeymoon in Vegas, Failure to Launch, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Til There Was You.  I pretty much like her in everything. 

It's funny that  you mention that.  I went to the theater to see that 25 years ago.  I haven't seen it since and a few weeks ago it popped in my head. I still get DVDS in the mail through Netflix and I have it in my queue.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

It's funny that  you mention that.  I went to the theater to see that 25 years ago.  I haven't seen it since and a few weeks ago it popped in my head. I still get DVDS in the mail through Netflix and I have it in my queue.  

I very much  like it but for me it's so hard to find on DVD!

• Love 1

Awwwww hell!  Just found out Jason Lewis is on DWTS…and I love him, so I guess I’m tuning in…

Last time I watched on the regular, Meryl Davis won, over her skating partner Charlie White (my personal choice).  Yiiiikes.

• Love 2

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/life-lessons-from-sarah-jessica-parker?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=Sept22

From last December:

Welcome to Life Lessons. This week, to mark the premiere of the Sex and the City sequel And Just Like That, we honor Sarah Jessica Parker by revisiting her October 1999 Interview cover feature. In a conversation with Dustin Hoffman, Parker discussed her early reservations about starring in the HBO show, the evolution of her now-iconic character Carrie Bradshaw, and how Sex and the City revolutionized television. So sit back and grab a cosmo—you just might learn a thing or two.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/life-lessons-from-sarah-jessica-parker?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=Sept22

From last December:

Welcome to Life Lessons. This week, to mark the premiere of the Sex and the City sequel And Just Like That, we honor Sarah Jessica Parker by revisiting her October 1999 Interview cover feature. In a conversation with Dustin Hoffman, Parker discussed her early reservations about starring in the HBO show, the evolution of her now-iconic character Carrie Bradshaw, and how Sex and the City revolutionized television. So sit back and grab a cosmo—you just might learn a thing or two.

Sarah's body there! She inspires me to get on the treadmill. I think I will always admire her body. She's perfect imo because she's just toned enough, and even though she's so petite, she still has curves to her. I want to be the taller version. haha

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Sarah's body there! She inspires me to get on the treadmill. I think I will always admire her body. She's perfect imo because she's just toned enough, and even though she's so petite, she still has curves to her. I want to be the taller version. haha

She has a very lovely figure!

• Love 2
On 8/22/2022 at 8:46 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I think for a lot of people Carrie crossed the line when she was in Natasha's HOUSE eating her FOOD and then RAN AWAY when Natasha came home. Of course Big too was the fucking scum of the earth (you don't bring the side piece into your marital home and fuck them in your bed you share with your partner, and then let them help themselves like a guest), but the audience was supposed to be on Natasha's side when she caught Carrie and hurt her tooth. I think the actual realization that you were in someone else's house and they caught you, snapped Carrie back into reality. She was decent enough to get Natasha to the hospital, and when Big arrived she realized "oh he is coming to see his wife", and this entire thing was a mess.

I was always annoyed with Carrie's attitude when Big arrived at the hospital.  The way she looked at him and just walked out shaking her head, rubbed me the wrong way.  She acted like it was all his fault and she had nothing to do with it.

• Love 3
On 8/17/2022 at 9:35 AM, bluegirl147 said:

Did they want us to be on Carrie's side?  Did they expect us to feel sorry for her? If Natasha hadn't caught her in their apartment would Carrie have broke it off?  My theory is she wanted Big to leave Natasha for her. Even though she was still with Aiden.  She says she told Aiden because it was the right thing to do and the guilt and all that but I think she hoped after getting caught Big would be free to be with her.  

Also, when Carrie broke up with Big for her own stupid reasons, she grieved for ages (start of S2).  When Aidan broke up with her, Carrie focused on "her" apartment -- which was legally Aidan's at the time -- and seemed to bounce back from losing her fiancé with no trouble at all. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Also, when Carrie broke up with Big for her own stupid reasons, she grieved for ages (start of S2).  When Aidan broke up with her, Carrie focused on "her" apartment -- which was legally Aidan's at the time -- and seemed to bounce back from losing her fiancé with no trouble at all. 

That’s because Carrie was never in love with Aidan. I believe she liked him, and genuinely enjoyed spending time with him, but she was more upset about not having a BF any more than not having HIM. Carrie was in love with Big and all she wanted was for him to love her back just a teeny bit. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, izabella said:

I was always annoyed with Carrie's attitude when Big arrived at the hospital.  The way she looked at him and just walked out shaking her head, rubbed me the wrong way.  She acted like it was all his fault and she had nothing to do with it.

I didn’t quite see it that way. I saw it that she was disgusted with him and herself, and didn’t want to be involved in the situation any more. Big wasn’t going to tell Natasha anything unless or until Carrie left Aidan, he wanted to be sure he had a fall back plan.

Carrie saying “we are so over” was her way of taking the power back over her own life and not letting Big string her along any more. That lasted all of two seconds because we know she let him invade her life when she and Aidan got back together a second time. 

• LOL 2
On 9/30/2022 at 9:05 PM, Scarlett45 said:

That’s because Carrie was never in love with Aidan. I believe she liked him, and genuinely enjoyed spending time with him, but she was more upset about not having a BF any more than not having HIM. Carrie was in love with Big and all she wanted was for him to love her back just a teeny bit. 

Exactly.  She had no business jerking AIdan around like that.  He wasn't a consolation prize.

• Love 5
On 10/3/2022 at 10:40 AM, Inquisitionist said:

Exactly.  She had no business jerking AIdan around like that.  He wasn't a consolation prize.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:44 AM, RealHousewife said:

I love Aidan as a character because we’ve all known one, that person who’s the good guy/girl, just as hot or hotter than the other guy/girl, a total catch, but gets treated like a “consolation prize.”

Its not right to treat anyone as a consolation prize- you either want them or you don't. That's what dating is for, to figure out if you fit, so the first break-up, I appreciated Carrie coming clean to Aidan and accepting that he broke up with her. But she had NO BUSINESS trying to get back with him when she knew she wasn't in love with him. Yes I think its possible for someone to realize they made mistake, do love the person and want them back (Look at Prince William and Kate Middleton- prime example), and if the person takes them back because they love them too, GREAT, but that clearly wasn't the case here. 

Reminds me of a friend of mine, she is 41 and just had her son as a single woman (IVF and sperm donor), she spent YEARS being jerked around by her on again off again long term boyfriend M. They dated from 16-23, and then he came back in town when she was 36 and he said he wanted her back, strung her along again, dumped her at 38, she made the mistake of sleeping with him again right before Covid and realized what the hell was she doing. Of course it was her own choice, but she was IN LOVE with him and she very much wanted to be married and have children. He had NO BUSINESS getting back with her knowing she was in love with him and wanted to get married and have kids. I hate him. You know when he heard she was pregnant he acted salty (he showed up at a HS reunion event she organized, and he saw on social media)- reminds me of something Carrie would do! I told her "He could've married you 15yrs ago! but he didnt want to."

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

We often lament that Samantha was treated disrespectfully and as a joke in the "Sex and the City 2" movie, but now that I'm rewatching, I'm thinking -- so was Charlotte.

Charlotte was humiliated in the first movie with the awful Mexican diarrhea scene.

In the second movie, she's humiliated in different ways too.  She's often the butt of the jokes and it usually comes from Carrie's side.  Carrie dismisses Charlotte when she doesn't understand Big wanting 2 days off from the marriage, then Carrie snaps at Charlotte AGAIN later when she comes around and tries to be supportive about it.

Charlotte spends most of the Abu Dhabi trip worrying about Harry and being an idiot trying to get cellphone service while all the other women get to enjoy themselves.  She's also a major wet blanket.

When Charlotte advises Carrie against having dinner with Aidan at his hotel, Carrie snaps back that "Just because you're worried about YOUR marriage, everyone's gonna cheat."  At least this is the franchise showing Carrie as flawed -- but then I've often decried the movie showing Carrie being rewarded for cheating by getting the black diamond from Big.

I don't remember Charlotte being such the butt of the jokes in the original show - but it's clear that they really went low brow with the movies in several different ways.

Miranda is such a good friend to Charlotte in this movie, it's so sad to see what they did to her later on.

How does everyone feel about Carrie chasing Big for 6 seasons, and then in Sex and the City 2 suddenly being a huge brat who throws a tantrum every time Big wants to stay home?

Okay, I'm still watching.  At least Carrie apologized to Charlotte.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2

Legendary New Yorker film critic Pauline Kael, who retired in 1991 because of Parkinson's disease and some other factors, became a Sex and the City fan in the last years of her life. Here is an interview quote from 2000. 

Sex and the City is terrific. It's held my interest longer [than most shows] because it's only a half hour, and because those girls are so spectacularly funny. They really are amazing. It feels new, because in the past they wouldn't have dared to put material like that on television—those girls discussing men the way that men discuss women, and going pretty far. There are episodes that really break me up, that I can't get out of my mind. Like the episode where Kim Cattrall goes to bed with a very rich older man who explains to her that he knows he's old and not appealing to a young woman, but that he will take good care of her. He gives her jewelry. They go to bed together, and when he excuses himself to go to the bathroom, she gets a look at his naked rear end and flees the apartment. The truth of the matter is that she's a gold digger, but she's not that much of a gold digger. It's hysterically funny, and [Cattrall] is awfully good.  

She also praised Cynthia Nixon, whom she had seen onstage in things before. Kael was always a Robert Altman acolyte, so she probably saw Nixon as the candidate's progressive college-aged daughter in Tanner '88 too. 

Kael died in 2001, so sadly, she didn't get to see the whole run. (Less sadly, she missed the movies and AJLT!) 

Just to tie it together a little more, Kael's last words in a review for The New Yorker were praise of an SJP performance (L.A. Story). Maybe not coincidentally, SJP supplied Kael's voice for the VOs of a documentary a few years ago called What She Said (when Kael's reviews or letters were being read). 

• Like 2
On 12/24/2022 at 9:28 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

We often lament that Samantha was treated disrespectfully and as a joke in the "Sex and the City 2" movie, but now that I'm rewatching, I'm thinking -- so was Charlotte.

Charlotte was humiliated in the first movie with the awful Mexican diarrhea scene.

In the second movie, she's humiliated in different ways too.  She's often the butt of the jokes and it usually comes from Carrie's side.  Carrie dismisses Charlotte when she doesn't understand Big wanting 2 days off from the marriage, then Carrie snaps at Charlotte AGAIN later when she comes around and tries to be supportive about it.

Charlotte spends most of the Abu Dhabi trip worrying about Harry and being an idiot trying to get cellphone service while all the other women get to enjoy themselves.  She's also a major wet blanket.

When Charlotte advises Carrie against having dinner with Aidan at his hotel, Carrie snaps back that "Just because you're worried about YOUR marriage, everyone's gonna cheat."  At least this is the franchise showing Carrie as flawed -- but then I've often decried the movie showing Carrie being rewarded for cheating by getting the black diamond from Big.

I don't remember Charlotte being such the butt of the jokes in the original show - but it's clear that they really went low brow with the movies in several different ways.

Miranda is such a good friend to Charlotte in this movie, it's so sad to see what they did to her later on.

How does everyone feel about Carrie chasing Big for 6 seasons, and then in Sex and the City 2 suddenly being a huge brat who throws a tantrum every time Big wants to stay home?

I see what you’re saying, I think the movies poked fun at Charlotte a little bit because Charlotte “had it all”. She had two beautiful children, a husband who adored her, she was wealthy, she was attractive, her problems were “you know you’re privileged when”- I didn’t think anyone thought Harry was actually going to cheat. 

Carrie was bratty sometimes, but after all Big put her through and she still wanted his ass, a diamond was a fine gift. I don’t think Carrie minded so much that Big wanted to stay IN, but she did want Big’s attention. (Carrie was always insecure and wondering if Big really wanted her).

• Like 2

Charlotte was having a hard time in the second movie.  Rose would not stop crying.  Charlotte was kind of having mental breakdowns before Samantha whisked everyone off to Abu Dhabi.  

I don’t think Carrie minded so much that Big wanted to stay IN, but she did want Big’s attention. (Carrie was always insecure and wondering if Big really wanted her).

But I just watched the movie and Carrie was very upset when Big wanted to stay in.  That's why she forces him to go to a party, and that's how Big meets Penelope Cruz.  

Carrie makes a big speech about how she doesn't want to be one of those couples that stays in every night.

She finally only gives into it at the end of the film.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Charlotte was having a hard time in the second movie.  Rose would not stop crying.  Charlotte was kind of having mental breakdowns before Samantha whisked everyone off to Abu Dhabi.  

But I just watched the movie and Carrie was very upset when Big wanted to stay in.  That's why she forces him to go to a party, and that's how Big meets Penelope Cruz.  

Carrie makes a big speech about how she doesn't want to be one of those couples that stays in every night.

She finally only gives into it at the end of the film.

Thanks! I had forgotten that part. 

I don’t want to be ageist, but isn’t Big in his mid 50s by this point? Even the most extroverted outgoing people that age don’t go out EVERY night (or weekend night) especially if they have full time jobs (which Big did). Many people of course have family responsibilities (which Big didn’t have), but I would not think Big was being a stick in the mud if he wanted to spend one weekend a month in the house. 

Also I’m not partnered (never have been), but so long as it’s not something super important and ceremonial, or necessary (like a Dr appt), can’t you just go by yourself if your partner isn’t up to it SOMETIMES? I mean she’s a grown ass woman, she can go out by herself sometimes. But again, after all Big put her through, he could get dressed and go out with her. Their relationship was just so much push and pull all the time. 

• Like 4
On 12/24/2022 at 9:28 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes! I've posted similar thoughts in the past. I agree that the writing for Samantha could be really crazy (especially what they had in mind for the movie). But they had Charlotte poop her pants.  And we all know Charlotte types. Hell, I'm kind of a Charlotte type in this regard-bathroom issues are mortifying to me. They loved that beautiful, ladylike Charlotte shit herself. There were also things like Carrie farting in front of Big, Miranda's unkempt bikini line, poo getting on Miranda's face, etc. We've discussed this before too, but Miranda was an attractive, successful woman, and sometimes they portrayed her as someone who was lucky to get male attention. The writers definitely did Samantha very dirty, but they weren't always kind to the others either. 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also I’m not partnered (never have been), but so long as it’s not something super important and ceremonial, or necessary (like a Dr appt), can’t you just go by yourself if your partner isn’t up to it SOMETIMES? I mean she’s a grown ass woman, she can go out by herself sometimes. But again, after all Big put her through, he could get dressed and go out with her. Their relationship was just so much push and pull all the time. 

Totally agreed.  Carrie was so independent when the series first started.  She was KNOWN for being seen all about town and going club hopping.  Then she marries Big and she wants to drag him everywhere.  Actually, it was the same with Aidan, who hated going out just as much as Big did.  She really doesn't care what kind of people they are and what they enjoy doing.  She cares about herself and being seen about town with her man.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
37 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Totally agreed.  Carrie was so independent when the series first started.  She was KNOWN for being seen all about town and going club hopping.  Then she marries Big and she wants to drag him everywhere.  Actually, it was the same with Aidan, who hated going out just as much as Big did.  She really doesn't care what kind of people they are and what they enjoy doing.  She cares about herself and being seen about town with her man.

I'm only in my 30s and in good shape. As much as I love it visiting, being out on the town in NYC can exhaust me. I'm sure at Big's age, he'd prefer more quiet evenings. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Miranda's unkempt bikini line, poo getting on Miranda's face, etc. We've discussed this before too, but Miranda was an attractive, successful woman, and sometimes they portrayed her as someone who was lucky to get male attention. The writers definitely did Samantha very dirty, but they weren't always kind to the others either. 

I felt Miranda definitely got the most demeaning stories in the original run, especially from season 3 onward. Harassed by the guy dressed as a sandwich, starts fantasizing about him. Eating cake out of the garbage like George Costanza. Nasty remark about her weight gain in the Atlantic City episode. And she had her share of good-looking guys, but if there was a not-conventionally-attractive male guest star, she was the most likely to be saddled with him. Sometimes I felt that when the writers did give her a "win" (like the skinny-jeans episode), it was because even they realized they had dumped on her a lot. 

She was my favorite, and I'll always love Cynthia Nixon for how great she was, no matter the material. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1