Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Win Loss

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Dr. Manning and Dr. Rhodes separately treat complicated cases involving sick babies, only to uncover that the two cases could actually be intertwined. Elsewhere, Dr. Halstead and Dr. Charles treat a homeless man with an upbeat disposition who sheds some valuable insight that prompts one of the doctors to learn a thing or two along the way. Dr. Choi has a Navy corpsman follow him for the day as they deal with the toll of gang violence in the city, while Dr. Reese tries to understand the delicate balance required in her new position.

Look, they're going to try to humanize Dr. McDouche with Dr. Patti Murin.

The babies storyline might be the best case they've done on this show. It hit all the right notes and was surprisingly very emotional. Even when he's making the hard calls that may not reflect well on him, Connor is always doing it for the right reasons and he knows that it's hard. I am glad Manning's patient survived, although I guess it doesn't bode well for Connor's. They left it open ended enough where you can't help but hope that the baby pulled through. 

I loved Choi's story with the corpsman. Even though he was just a guest star, he did well with being Choi's shadow. 

Reese looked good in those glasses. Watching her shrink people without realizing it was pretty hilarious. I'm glad she made up with Splendorkable.

Dr. Charles and Dr. McDouche's story with the homeless guy was pretty sad too. 

I guess they gave an official timeline this episode of August 1st, 2016. 

• Love 2

I should have liked this episode more than I did.

Choi's story with the corpsman was the best in my opinion.

For some reason, the people making this show seem to be in love with Manning.  This is the second episode of the season, and the second they've pretty much ended on her and her relationship with the med student.  They must think we care about her, to go off the episode giving us her to think about.  Unfortunately, I don't care about her or her relationships, romantic or otherwise.  She did a good job saving that baby but other than that, she's completely annoying.  Why the hysterics when Connor asked her to test the baby to see if it could be a match?  It seems to be to be a logical decision. Would she need the parents' permission in real life?

I like McDouche better with the pathologist, she lightens him up. But he really needs to stop whining about the cost of his malpractice insurance. It's called 'natural consequences'.  He's making a ton of money anyway.

I cringed when Reese was diagnosing everyone around her, but I guess it was the comic relief on the episode.

Not enough Connor character time.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Would she need the parents' permission in real life?

Yes.  Running a test without consent is legally the same as Halstead ignoring the DNR.  The only exception is in an emergency.

• Love 3

I am so happy that Alicia didn't die.  I feel bad for Timmy's parents but the way they were staring across the PICU was so creepy.  They were actively hoping for the death of another baby and PapaAlicia was right when he called them vultures.  I thought Rhodes was written to be a bit better on his side, but he was still way too invested in Timmy.  And I get that medical shows are written this way for drama but there's a difference between believing that Patient X should be higher on the list and putting pressure on another doctor who hasn't even found a diagnosis much less determined if death was imminent.  

• Love 9

Who on earth puts a baby down on grass to play?  Don't you spread a blanket?  Grass in a public park with people's shoes tracking who knows what, all kinds of animals peeing and pooping, insects and other critters crawling in there, besides pesticides being laid down?  Older kids, of course, but an infant?  What parent doesn't think that's a problem??  These weren't ignorant people, they were clearly pretty up on child-rearing and very, very caring, so I could just not buy that a baby that age would be playing directly on the grass.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Who on earth puts a baby down on grass to play?  Don't you spread a blanket?  Grass in a public park with people's shoes tracking who knows what, all kinds of animals peeing and pooping, insects and other critters crawling in there, besides pesticides being laid down?  Older kids, of course, but an infant?  What parent doesn't think that's a problem??  These weren't ignorant people, they were clearly pretty up on child-rearing and very, very caring, so I could just not buy that a baby that age would be playing directly on the grass.  

Really. Would have made a bit more sense if they had let her have honey. Of course, then Manning wouldn't have been able to make her insta-diagnosis.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Really. Would have made a bit more sense if they had let her have honey. Of course, then Manning wouldn't have been able to make her insta-diagnosis.

ER did a honey baby story.  Although at this point, it's hard for a medical show to do something ER didn't.

In real life, Natalie would have known as soon as the observation "She's floppy!" was made.  It's literally called Floppy Baby Syndrome.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I could see them pairing Manning and Rhodes if her eventual romance with Dr Halsted doesn't take off..

At least Tdv and CD have chemistry; she has none with JH or NG.

Though NG being paired with CD's real life wife seems all sorts of creepy. 

Is Lockwood ever going to get a story?  The actress must be tired of reading scripts that say "Lockwood glares intently". 

• Love 1
On 9/30/2016 at 0:03 AM, statsgirl said:

For some reason, the people making this show seem to be in love with Manning.  This is the second episode of the season, and the second they've pretty much ended on her and her relationship with the med student.  They must think we care about her, to go off the episode giving us her to think about.  Unfortunately, I don't care about her or her relationships, romantic or otherwise. 

It's amazing how she is such a bland actress yet manages to annoy me so much. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Tiger said:

At least Tdv and CD have chemistry; she has none with JH or NG.

Though NG being paired with CD's real life wife seems all sorts of creepy. 

Is Lockwood ever going to get a story?  The actress must be tired of reading scripts that say "Lockwood glares intently". 

Going to need a translation here, I'm assuming you're referring to the actors' real initials.  I don't think the actor's names are household names yet to the point where you can just put some initials up and expect everyone to know who they are.

So with Nat moving on to the med student / ex-firefighter / ex-Army buddy of her dead husband, we are to assume that she and Halstead are never going to be a couple?  I know it's early between her and the med student, but it seems like they should have at least made some comment about resident dating a med student and the stickiness that comes along with that.  I think they're trying too hard with this medical student.  Yes, he's ex-firefighter and ex-military, so you expect him to ooze confidence.  He's just a little too much Johnny-on-the-spot, first on the scene all the time for me.

That was not a 2 minute intubation...

Are ER doctors independent contractors?  If Halstead is hired by the hospital, doesn't the hospital have to provide him with malpractice insurance?  How much would a brand new ER attending make? $250K?  And he can't afford $35K for malpractice insurance?  It's not like he has to pay off his likely several hundred thousands of dollars in med school loans all at once.  So are we expecting him to ask the pathologist to be his roommate?  I'd like to see him be roommates with Choi, it seems like he lives alone.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Are ER doctors independent contractors?  If Halstead is hired by the hospital, doesn't the hospital have to provide him with malpractice insurance?  How much would a brand new ER attending make? $250K?  And he can't afford $35K for malpractice insurance?  It's not like he has to pay off his likely several hundred thousands of dollars in med school loans all at once.  So are we expecting him to ask the pathologist to be his roommate?  I'd like to see him be roommates with Choi, it seems like he lives alone.

Depends on the hospital.  A lot of private hospitals are contracted with physician groups, and those groups would be providing their doctors with malpractice insurance.  But Med is a teaching hospital, and in most (although not all) teaching hospitals I've been in, those doctors are employed directly by the hospital, in which case they would supply it.  But they seem to do some kind of hybrid.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

Going to need a translation here, I'm assuming you're referring to the actors' real initials.  I don't think the actor's names are household names yet to the point where you can just put some initials up and expect everyone to know who they are.

Im sure Im spelling many of these names wrong, and am feeling too lazy to look up the correct spellings, but:

TdV = Torey deVitto / Manning

NG = Nick Gehlfuss / Halstead

CD = Colin Donnell / Rhodes

JH = Jeff Hepner / ArmyFire Intern

2 hours ago, Keekski said:

I'm over Manning and all the baby storylines. She's not specifically an ER peds Doctor, is she? She seems to get every baby case. 

She is a pediatrican. However, I cannot stand her. 

Manning always looks sad and ready to cry.  I'm glad they gave her a romance. She needs a more upbeat storyline for a change.

Im getting a little bored with Halsteads storyline of being the poor, rogue doctor and "hater" of anyone who gets close to Manning. 

• Love 2

I honestly think that had Halstead asked of Natalie what Rhodes did or had he behaved like Rhodes did he'd have been seen as the worst. However because it's Rhodes it's ok. It's charming even.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I honestly think that had Halstead asked of Natalie what Rhodes did or had he behaved like Rhodes did he'd have been seen as the worst. However because it's Rhodes it's ok. It's charming even.

For me, that's not the reason. The difference between Connor and Halstead is how they handle these types of situations. Connor wasn't making it like his patient was better off, or that his patient deserved it more than Manning's. Connor fully acknowledged that it was a tough decision, that neither situation was ideal, and he accepted the results at the end. Both men are different and handle these situations differently. Plus, all Connor wanted was Manning to ask permission to test the blood of the baby just in case. He wasn't asking to kill the baby for his. He just wanted to be prepared. It might be a shitty thing to ask of the parents, since that might give the wrong impression, but he was doing it for the right reasons and not for himself, like Halstead has done. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I think that the show is guilty of have Halstead do something and get into trouble for it, but Rhodes does it and everything ends up fine. I just hope Halstead won't turn into the character that has everything thrown at him. He's my favorite but any character doesn't deserve that.

Edited by autumnmountains

I get we all have different likes/dislikes. Goes with the territory on a message board. I also understand it can be frustrating when others do not share a POV, but let's please stop criticizing how our fellow posters think and what they feel.

State your opinion proudly! Let others state theirs. Then shake hands and move on.

Thanks for your cooperation.

On 10/4/2016 at 9:26 PM, Keekski said:

I'm over Manning and all the baby storylines. She's not specifically an ER peds Doctor, is she? She seems to get every baby case. 

I believe in one of the earlier episodes they said she was doing a dual fellowship in pediatrics and trauma.