Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Breakfast Club

dcalley
  • Start Topic

Adam tries to up his coolness level on the first day of high school; Beverly gets her teaching certification but is subsequently demoted to sub-janitor; the Goldberg kids are sent to Saturday detention.

8:00 ET

Have they aged down Barry and Erica? It seems like she should be in college by now if Adam is now in high school. I'm not complaining though.

The Breakfast Club is one of my all time favorite movies, and although some of the references were a  bit too on the nose, I enjoyed the ep. Loved that Adam was labeled the Brian when he wanted to be the Bender. It's been fun seeing Sean Giambrone essentially grow up during the course of this show.

Also I think Beverly getting her substitute teacher certification is taken from real life. I think she ended up teaching at the real Adam's school.

I've become weirdly invested in Erica and Geoff Schwartz. I was amused to find out that he, too, exists in real life.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 5

Wasn't Adam already in the same school as Erica and Barry? I'm not sure starting the 9th grade in a 7-12 school is a chance for a clean slate. But then he didn't seem to know who Johnny Atkins was.

The Fonz doesn't have a bowlcut, Dave Kim.

Pops was drinking a martini at 8am.

I wonder if these kids had seen the movie before this script came along. It was one of my favorites.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, dcalley said:

Wasn't Adam already in the same school as Erica and Barry? I'm not sure starting the 9th grade in a 7-12 school is a chance for a clean slate. But then he didn't seem to know who Johnny Atkins was.

The Fonz doesn't have a bowlcut, Dave Kim.

I wonder if these kids had seen the movie before this script came along. It was one of my favorites.

It's based on his real school which was a middle school/high school.

Yes I am pretty sure they have retro-aged down the older kids, like they do in many shows.  I think on 90210 they had like 3 senior years. 

Those were pretty perfect replicas of Bender and Ducky outfits. 

Don't care much about Geoff and Erica.  I am sure it will be the on again/off again thing.  For one, seems to be the same sort of story they already did with Barry and his girlfriend, or same idea.  Didn't he have a crush on her forever before ending up with her?

13 hours ago, dcalley said:

I checked the DVR to be sure I saw that right, love him. Pops is like an older James Bond in a track suit. 

Also loved the principal freaking out when he saw Beverly and hollering, "Oh crap she's here already!"

• Love 6

"I, uh, have to move my car"

Murray was incredibly sweet this episode, he didn't really fight being the problem solver, which was nice to see.

Yes, Erica's been considering college's since season 1, but given the loose time frame of the show, I'm fine with it. Sean's voice seems to have settled a bit this year which makes things easier.

I'm really ready for the Geoff Schwartz story to be done with. Hopefully he and Evy stay together. I hope Erica realizes it was just the attention she noticed.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 5

Mr. Keekski & I were talking about Eric(k)a picking a college last season (the art one, right?) and this season she's a senior again? I'm ok with it. And at least Adam Goldberg is aging way better than Luke Dunphy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

given the loose time frame of the show, I'm fine with it.

Exactly. This show's not necessarily linear, but most shows are, so we're used to thinking that way, and holiday- (or school-) related episodes plus the growth of the youngest can make it seem like it is linear.

• Love 2

Yeah, Erica has been held back at least two years at this point, but whatever. The whole shows timeline makes no sense, and its not supposed to. 198 something and all that. 

Good start to the show, even though I am over the Erica love story stuff. But I adore Breakfast Club, so it evens out!

• Love 3

I heart The Goldbergs and I've enjoyed every episode...until tonight's.  The Breakfast Club is one of my favorite movies, but this one just didn't work.  The Ferris Bueller episode was done soooo much better!  The only part I thought was funny was when Bev was cooking dinner and Pops  exclaiming "it's 8 in the morning" while drinking a martini!

• Love 2

I liked the Beverly portion of the episode, but could care less about the rest.

I was a tween and early teen in the 80s, so normally I enjoy the references, but this was too over the top as if they were trying too hard with the costumes. I did laugh when Adam and his friends were teases about the jackets and hats. 

• Love 1

Just tried watching this and I only made it to the point where that fucking Rush kid showed up to Saturday detention. God I hate that kid. I really want The Goldbergs to do their 80's style Very Special Episode on drunk driving, and I want that kid to eat steering wheel. 

I can appreciate Adam's attempts at being Bender, even though life made him Brian Johnson long before John Hughes ever thought  of Breakfast Club. But typical Adam, he knows the words but not the music. Bender is not layered clothing, or a raised fist in a freeze frame. Bender is an attitude, and a hard earned one at that. And try as he might Adam just doesn't have an ounce of attitude. 

Edited by reggiejax
On 9/21/2016 at 8:33 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

The Breakfast Club is one of my all time favorite movies, and although some of the references were a bit too on the nose, I enjoyed the ep. 

This was my biggest issue with the episode as well. It just didn't feel as organic as some of the other movie tributes the show has done. 

• Love 2