Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20: Andrew & Zac

Tara Ariano

Well, I guess Zac wasn't total scum like most of them, they must have wanted an "uplifting" episode to end the season even though the previews made this look a lot more interesting than it turned out to be. Again they didn't do the phone calls though, & my DVR cut off after it said that Zac told his sister, so I have no idea what happened with Andrew.

Anyone else wonder why the ep started out with Nev & Max in a hotel room in L.A.?  Usually they're at Nev's house when in L.A.

I'll miss the recaps while the show is on hiatus; they're the reason I watch this goofy show and now mentally append "where nothing good ever happens" to any mention of a park. :)

• Love 3

I'm disappointed that there was no follow-up on how Andrew is doing. I gasped with delight when he offered to go that baseball game with Johnny - that's probably the nicest, most human, thing I've ever seen in the history of this show. And then, dumb Johnny had to go and say he's waiting for his ex? Crushing.

Basically, I just would like to know that Andrew has moved on and is happy with someone who's not hung-up on their ex.

• Love 6

I think I've hit the wall with Nev and Max. I used to think Nev was a bit of a tool but Max was fun, but now I just kind of hate both of them. I hate the stupid setups and their bad acting and the "detective work" and Nev's jumping to conclusions and the way Max always interrupts. Plus the self righteousness from both of them is wearing thin. They're both just so full of themselves. Gah.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Trampolina said:

It's weird when a perfectly attractive man feels the need to use someone else's photo. I think he'd get plenty of attention on his own.

Using his own photo risked having people he knew recognize him and find out he was gay before he was ready to tell them.

After Nev showed how to do a burpee, I hope he followed up by showing the way to the nearest sink. Restaurant floors aren't that clean.

• Love 1

I think my favorite part of this episode was Max's reaction to the outgoing voicemail message of the real Zac Miller. 

To me, the strangest part was Andrew's pronunciation of wharf. He picked the wrong phonics rule and made it rhyme with barf instead of dwarf. And the way he delivered the line, "He said he'd meet us at the wharf (?)" made it sound like he had no clue and wondered if The Wharf was a restaurant, club, dark alley,... Dude, you live in a coastal area. Bone up on the vocab. 

When the real Zac said that he had gotten a confession from a guy named F___ Johnny, I wondered whether Johnny was the one to apply to Catfish (if he was interested in confessing on the larger scale) or if the real Zac had submitted an application to tip off Catfish/forward Johnny's confession.

Johnny seemed immature in a developmentally "special" way. My alarms went off when Andrew sweetly asked him if they could go to the sporting event together, and it went over Johnny's head completely. His affect when he said, "but what if my ex calls??" was odd....he said it the way a child would say it, stripped of the niceties that an older adolescent or adult would add like "oh, I'm sorry, I do think he'll call, so I'm going to save the ticket for him. But maybe you and I can do something else instead." Andrew was so sweet when he offered to help him with his outing. What a nice guy.

• Love 4
On 9/22/2016 at 11:46 AM, LoneHaranguer said:

Using his own photo risked having people he knew recognize him and find out he was gay before he was ready to tell them.

I'm not sure if that's true, because he mentioned he also had an account with his real photo, but got a lot more "swipes" with the fake photo.

I'm pretty sure the reason he gave for first making a fake account was that he was hoping it would be a match to his ex, and then he would be able to check in on him and see if he had moved on, which would somehow allow him move on as well. So sad!

• Love 2
On 9/22/2016 at 6:10 PM, CoolWhipLite said:

To me, the strangest part was Andrew's pronunciation of wharf. He picked the wrong phonics rule and made it rhyme with barf instead of dwarf. And the way he delivered the line, "He said he'd meet us at the wharf (?)" made it sound like he had no clue and wondered if The Wharf was a restaurant, club, dark alley,... Dude, you live in a coastal area. Bone up on the vocab. 

Catfish isn't known for depicting geniuses, but this did surprise me a bit. Seems like a common enough word.

I was very excited that they ended up in my hometown! I used to ditch school and sneak cigarettes where they initially met up. I definitely understood his reasons for being in the closet. It is a pretty small town (only accessible by a two lane road) and not as liberal as you'd think for the California coast. When I was growing up there late 80's-early 90's, there was one gay bar (with no sign on the building) and it was common for local bro dudes to cruise by it and flash guns at people going in. Things have most likely changed a bit, but probably not much. 

• Love 1

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the kind words! We never did attend that game. I'm back in the Carolinas and Johnny and I stay in touch, text frequently, to this day. It has meant so much to me that the episode has been received so well. To be able to project such a positive message with Johnny's story has made all of the difference. 

PS - I am from Charlotte, NC... We have some piers on the coast but that term is lost on me. Sorry about that! Lol.

-Andrew

• Love 17
On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 6:10 PM, CoolWhipLite said:

Johnny seemed immature in a developmentally "special" way. My alarms went off when Andrew sweetly asked him if they could go to the sporting event together, and it went over Johnny's head completely. His affect when he said, "but what if my ex calls??" was odd....he said it the way a child would say it, stripped of the niceties that an older adolescent or adult would add like "oh, I'm sorry, I do think he'll call, so I'm going to save the ticket for him. But maybe you and I can do something else instead." Andrew was so sweet when he offered to help him with his outing. What a nice guy.

I picked up on that too.Whatever he projected in his texts didn't seem to come across in person. Too bad he missed out on a good thing with Andrew. Cute, smart, sincere men do not grow on trees. He'll learn...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, andrewseabolt said:

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the kind words! We never did attend that game. I'm back in the Carolinas and Johnny and I stay in touch, text frequently, to this day. It has meant so much to me that the episode has been received so well. To be able to project such a positive message with Johnny's story has made all of the difference. 

PS - I am from Charlotte, NC... We have some piers on the coast but that term is lost on me. Sorry about that! Lol.

-Andrew

If the real Zac was the hottest guy in Maine, you're about to be the hottest one in Charlotte lol. Thanks for hopping on the board, its cool to have the actual people we watch join the conversation. All the best to you.

• Love 5

I didn'tlike Andrew. To me, he came across as a tool the way that he was so comfortable with Nev and Max at their initial meeting with his cocky attitude. 800+ tinder matches? Spaghetti and meatballs? Over-talking? He acted like he was hanging with his bros on a typical Saturday afternoon.

Then the "if you think that's dirty then I've got some things to show you."

Then he was all wine-snob at the cafe.

Then he invited himself to the baseball game asking Johnny "you wanna go?" Johnny is going because it's his ticket. It's up to him to invite you. 

Even though Johnny was the catfish, he did seem very naive. He's the one that seemed sweet to me and if he would have ended up in a relationship with Andrew,  Andrew would have steamrolled all over him with his strong personality.

What was up with Marian at the beginning of the show? She looked about 40. And then when Nev and Max want to talk with Andrew whaddayaknow...he's sitting in front of his computer, grinning from ear to ear, ready to be added to the conversation.!

And let me not forget to mention the biggest tool of all...the real Zac Miller...the man with the machine and the routine... the self-professed sexiest man alive. I'm glad Nev and Max set him straight.

Edited by Blissfool