Type keyword(s) to search

The Office (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loathed Holly.  The stupid voices and the PDA in the office.  She was HR!  She's letting her boyfriend/boss sit on her lap in a meeting!  We didn't need another Michael Scott.   She wasn't funny.  I really couldn't stand her.   Michael was, for me, ultimately unlikable - his OTT hatred of Toby was so bizarre - but he showed flashes of warmth and humanity.  Holly was an unneeded Michael clone.

I would not have liked interacting with her because she was such a dork but she was perfect for Michael. Michael's hatred of Toby was incomprehensible to me because he was such an inoffensive guy. I hated it when they brought in Will Farrell so much that James Spader was an improvement but only marginally.

• Love 3

In season 9, when Jim gives Pam her Valentine's gift of what appears to be a framed drawing.  She says, "wow, I didn't know you kept this."  What is it?  It's not something that she drew, is it?  It drives me nuts because I feel like I should know, but I don't.

I also like later Pam again in later seasons. I think she was a little insufferable in seasons 5 and 6.  I think it's funny how she gets her new title and steamrolls Gabe.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, KLJ said:

In season 9, when Jim gives Pam her Valentine's gift of what appears to be a framed drawing.  She says, "wow, I didn't know you kept this."  What is it?  It's not something that she drew, is it?  It drives me nuts because I feel like I should know, but I don't.

I also like later Pam again in later seasons. I think she was a little insufferable in seasons 5 and 6.  I think it's funny how she gets her new title and steamrolls Gabe.

I couldn't think of it either so I cheated and looked it up. 

Spoiler

From Dunderpedia: Even though Jim and Pam are fighting, he gives her a framed sketch she did as a Valentine's Day gift. The sketch was previously seen in a deleted scene in the season 5 episode "Business Trip".

https://theoffice.fandom.com/wiki/Couples_Discount

Now I know why I didn't know the answer. 😀

• Love 1
On 3/28/2022 at 8:04 AM, peacheslatour said:

I would not have liked interacting with her because she was such a dork but she was perfect for Michael. Michael's hatred of Toby was incomprehensible to me because he was such an inoffensive guy. I hated it when they brought in Will Farrell so much that James Spader was an improvement but only marginally.

I think Michael hated Toby because to him Toby ruined his fun. And for Michael he's an entertainer at heart and would hate it when Toby in his capacity as HR would stop any dangerous shenanigans.

• Love 3

I think it's more of a tradition brought over from the UK Office - the boss is supposed to hate HR, period.

Then we actually did see instances of Toby stopping Michael's fun.  But Michael hated him from the jump.

• Love 2

At the beginning of season 2, Michael explains he hates Toby because Toby reports to the corporate office so he views him as a spy and not a part of Michael's family.

And then as the seasons pass, we get to see why Michael hates Toby.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

Basically, Michael didn't hate Holly because she wasn't doing her job.

When Holly tried to report Meredith for sleeping with a paper supplier, she got ripped by Kendall at corporate who asked her to pencil whip the paperwork. That's when Michael turned from hating Holly to being romantically interested in her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

When Holly tried to report Meredith for sleeping with a paper supplier, she got ripped by Kendall at corporate who asked her to pencil whip the paperwork. That's when Michael turned from hating Holly to being romantically interested in her.

I didn't remember that. So basically, Holly decided (quite rationally) to stop doing her job going forward because Corporate didn't want her to do her job.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I didn't remember that. So basically, Holly decided (quite rationally) to stop doing her job going forward because Corporate didn't want her to do her job.

Here's the Dunderpedia page if you're curious: https://theoffice.fandom.com/wiki/Business_Ethics

Although, I will say after that incident Holly stops doing her job AND becomes an over-the-top terribly bad HR rep whereas Toby knew not to rock the boat in Scranton or with corporate.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Catfi9ht said:

I don't remember Michael ever hating Holly.  Her first day, before he met her, he told Dwight to mess with her.  Then got mad when he did because he fell in love at first sight.  But, then found out Jan was pregnant.  With not his kid.  

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't remember Michael ever hating Holly.  Her first day, before he met her, he told Dwight to mess with her.  Then got mad when he did because he fell in love at first sight.  But, then found out Jan was pregnant.  With not his kid.  

I recommend rewatching Business Ethics. Michael despises Holly most of the episode because she wants to report Meredith to corporate for ethics violations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Michael is wary of meeting Toby's replacement. But Holly, partly thanks to Toby, manages to charm Michael at the introduction. Then Michael and Holly start to become friends. There's clearly a connection between the two of them. Michael, with the advice of Jim, is going against all his instincts to go all desperate and big. Even though he clearly wants to date her.

The Meridith sleeping with the paper supplier episode happens. And of course Holly feels this is very serious and must be reported to the higher ups. Michael, maybe because he'd feel terrible if Meridith was fired over this, doesn't feel Holly should report this. This creates a rift as Holly feels she has to do her job and report this, and Michael is reminded that Holly isn't just his hot new friend, she's also the HR rep. And this is a reminder that she can ruin fun and break up his work family.

But then Holly rings up higher ups, is chewed out, gets upset, and Michael is reminded that HR reps have feelings too. Except for Toby.

• Love 6
On 3/26/2022 at 5:08 PM, peacheslatour said:

You should. It gets better and the finale is great.

To each their own, but I'd say that that Seasons 8 & 9 were significantly worse than S7.

Good finale, though.

• Love 2
On 4/3/2022 at 10:49 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think it's more of a tradition brought over from the UK Office - the boss is supposed to hate HR, period.

In my experience, the employees hate HR much more than the management :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Who do you think would be the last one standing after one by one, they are let go for fireable offenses?

My guess would be Toby. He's really good at flying under the radar. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Who do you think would be the last one standing after one by one, they are let go for fireable offenses?

In this hypothetical scenario are we talking about season two "I'm stuck in a dying industry and my soulmate is engaged to someone else" Jim or season 6 "I have to work really hard as co-manager so I can set up the best possible future for my family" Jim?

1 hour ago, Columbo said:

In this hypothetical scenario are we talking about season two "I'm stuck in a dying industry and my soulmate is engaged to someone else" Jim or season 6 "I have to work really hard as co-manager so I can set up the best possible future for my family" Jim?

Somehow I think even Season 2 Jim would be the last man standing. It would come down to him and Dwight and he'd find some way to outwit Dwight. He is Bugs Bunny to Dwight's Yosemite Sam.

Edited by Milburn Stone
14 hours ago, KLJ said:

Definitely Toby.  And Angela or Oscar, maybe.

I was trying to think of individual shenanigans Oscar got into at work and I really couldn't think of anything. The worst thing I could think of is pulling up the carpet when they were drinking espresso, but everyone in the office that day was a participant.

1 hour ago, Catfi9ht said:

I was trying to think of individual shenanigans Oscar got into at work and I really couldn't think of anything. The worst thing I could think of is pulling up the carpet when they were drinking espresso, but everyone in the office that day was a participant.

The only thing I can think of was calling in sick when he wasn't.

Angela and Dwight had sex in the office more than once.

55 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The only thing I can think of was calling in sick when he wasn't.

Angela and Dwight had sex in the office more than once.

Agree on Dwight and Angela. Good recall on Oscar. I'd still put him in second behind Toby.

• Love 1

I jumped in and watched 8 and 9.

There were definitely more wacky themes in the last 2 seasons.  I did enjoy some things - the Florida episodes were good because of Jim and Dwight.  The trivia contest was fun. Those are the ones I remember.  Robert California was just there - not really funny, not fitting it.  I didn't like Nellie when she was introduced; she was a real cliche.  They made her more of a real person in S9.

The show obviously didn't know what to do with Andy - he doesn't want to be with Erin; he seems happy with this new gf (maybe I'm mixing up 8 and 9) no! he wants to be with Erin.   I could kind of see what they were trying to do (I know Ed Helms was making a movie) - Andy had to step up after his father took off with the money - but it didn't work. 

I did enjoy more of 9 - Angela and Oscar unexpectedly bonding after the Senator came out; Angela not having any money (which was silly, she would have been getting support from the Senator, but whatever).  Oscar was a hidden gem - funny, smart, warm.   The lice episode was soooo gross (I can't with the bug stuff) but just hilarious with exhausted Pam being the one to infect everyone and everyone with mayonnaise on their heads.   The Pam/Jim stuff was real and funny.  Darryl's arc was also satisfying - he showed his work smarts and why Jim's new company would want him.  Still funny though!

They did really stick the landing.  I felt kind of sorry that Toby didn't get a better ending.  Andy had the most pathos with his "you don't realize these are the best days until they're over" comment.  Even though I don't really like Michael and knew he would be there, I still teared up when he showed.    Very glad I watched 9.  Of 8, I would watch the Tallahassee eps, even with Dwight being so OTT.   In 9, I could skip the "Dwight shoots Stanley with tranquilizer" ep.  Not funny; just dumb.

My favorite cold open is Dwight finding the holy grail letter and everyone looking for it and the fact that Jim forgot all about the prank!  LOL.  I loved all of the pranks, though.  They just worked with Dwight being so serious.

I knew Dwight would be Angela's baby's bio-dad but the DNA test had said he wasn't.  I wondered if there was a scene I missed where she paid off the facility or something.

Ryan and Kelly - I've know people like them (thought not as extreme) and they're not people I would want to be around but OMG so, so funny.   Kelly especially.  Mindy Kaling's comedy timing is so good.  I loved that Ryan was still in the closet office with the beer sign that Michael had given him. 

Having worked in offices all of my life, I've know a lot of these people except a Dwight or Michael.  I'm buzzing through "The Ultimate History of the Office" and there are some fun facts - the "Welcome to Scranton" sign shot in the credits was taken by John K as he was driving by with a friend after he got the job.  Phyllis worked in casting; she wasn't an actress.  Stuff like that. 

It's fun talking about it too!  So many episodes so my thoughts tend to be all over the place.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, raven said:

They did really stick the landing.  I felt kind of sorry that Toby didn't get a better ending.  Andy had the most pathos with his "you don't realize these are the best days until they're over" comment.  Even though I don't really like Michael and knew he would be there, I still teared up when he showed. 

I'm so glad you liked the ending and I'm glad you took a chance to finish the show. I always tear up with Michael's "That what she said" at the wedding. Steve Carrell says it with tears in his eyes and the perfect sincerity.

I agree with the DNA test results. I don't think the discrepancy is explained in the show. I'm listening to The Office Ladies podcast. They're currently in season 6. I hope when they get to that episode that they give an explanation.

I highly recommend their podcast. It's funny with a ton of cast and crew interviews with alot of behind the scenes info. I haven't read that book. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, raven said:

I knew Dwight would be Angela's baby's bio-dad but the DNA test had said he wasn't.  I wondered if there was a scene I missed where she paid off the facility or something.

Took me a while because that always bugged me, but then I figured that Dwight inadvertently picked up baby Halper's diaper from the garbage because he was in the office for pictures too.

Edited by KLJ
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, raven said:

Phyllis worked in casting; she wasn't an actress.  Stuff like that. 

You should listen to the podcast from Brian Baumgartner, he has some good interviews with the showrunners.  One episode is with Phyllis and she discusses her career in casting and then the Office.  

• Useful 1

Re Toby, I know he had the crush on Pam, but during the finale, the scene that stood out for me was Toby and Meredith in the corner chatting when Andy made his comment about being in the good old days. Also, when they thought the branch was closing and Meredith asked him if he was the one she made the deal to have sex with on the last day, he sort of looked interested. They sort of had something in common being divorced. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

Re Toby, I know he had the crush on Pam, but during the finale, the scene that stood out for me was Toby and Meredith in the corner chatting when Andy made his comment about being in the good old days. Also, when they thought the branch was closing and Meredith asked him if he was the one she made the deal to have sex with on the last day, he sort of looked interested. They sort of had something in common being divorced. 

Toby never had a crush on Pam that I can recall. He was in love with Nellie and was crushed when she made it clear to him that she wasn't interested, period, end of story. You're thinking of when he broke down sobbing as he and Pam were dancing together at the final office party, and when she asked him what was wrong, he simply sobbed, "EVERYTHING!"

8 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Toby never had a crush on Pam that I can recall.

Toby was totally crushing on Pam the first few seasons. He hated to see her and Jim together. He specifically sent around a no-PDA memo because he didn't want to see them PDAing.  He put his hand on Pam's knee and then got so embarrassed he had to go to South America or something.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Toby was totally crushing on Pam the first few seasons. He hated to see her and Jim together. He specifically sent around a no-PDA memo because he didn't want to see them PDAing.  He put his hand on Pam's knee and then got so embarrassed he had to go to South America or something.

Yes.  It's a subplot I hated, but they inserted so many moments like that.  Remember that episode where he spent hours trying to win some stupid stuffed duck for her or something?

Also, when Jim and Pam "declared their new relationship to HR", Toby darkly said that he didn't need to document it and "We'll see how it works out."

19 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I like this idea so much better than what the show chose to do, which is practically require almost every single man to ogle, crush on, or hit on Pam.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Still watching the show and really enjoying it. I described it as cozy before, and I think that's what makes this show different than other shows I've watched. It's not a cast full of  only pretty people. They don't lead luxurious lifestyles. There's not a lot of sex. It just reminds you of a funnier version of normal life. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Still watching the show and really enjoying it. I described it as cozy before, and I think that's what makes this show different than other shows I've watched. It's not a cast full of  only pretty people. They don't lead luxurious lifestyles. There's not a lot of sex. It just reminds you of a funnier version of normal life. 

This was my go-to show for the pandemic. It was great as background noise and I could pay attention when it got to my favorite parts. It still plays alot on Comedy Central and if I'm watching, I'll usually pay attention to folks in the background for reactions. There's still a ton of funny stuff even if I'm not interested in a particular plot.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I couldn't watch the original run because I was working in an office at the time and it just hit too close to home. Now that I'm retired, I think it's hilarious.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 5/3/2022 at 10:57 AM, peacheslatour said:

I couldn't watch the original run because I was working in an office at the time and it just hit too close to home. Now that I'm retired, I think it's hilarious.

This is EXACTLY what we talked about during the original run.  When life is good, this show is hilarious.  But if you are having a rough time, some of the episodes are actually kind of depressing.

Scott's Totts is a perfect example.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, lidarose9 said:

I recently got access to Peacock and I'm so pissed that I have to watch ads while watching the Office! WTF!

There is an ad-free option that only costs a few dollars more.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2022 at 1:00 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just started Angela and Jenna's book, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's a great book. I just finished it the other day, and will write a review of it for my blog when I get a chance.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

It's a great book. I just finished it the other day, and will write a review of it for my blog when I get a chance.

Are there juicy BTS revelations?

(I don't want to know what they are right now, I just want to know if there are any.)

• Love 1

Angela and Jenna are much better actors than I thought because I would have not thought they were best friends in real life but they certainly are and pretty much have been throughout the whole show.  I in no way picked up on that.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Are there juicy BTS revelations?

(I don't want to know what they are right now, I just want to know if there are any.)

If you mean juicy as in salacious, not really. It's quite touching how everyone got along and the respect amongst the cast and crew. They do offer insight on how certain episodes were filmed, what it was like to be fake pregnant on the set, and other interesting tidbits. I'll probably get the review up on my blog sometime next month.

• Love 5