Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Family Face-Off: An Egg-cellent Adventure

I don't know about this show. I think it's run it's course for me. I'm not even interested enough to criticize anything except the fact that the drama feels increasingly staged like professional wrestling. 

• Love 1

I assume the immunity for was this week's episode? In which case, it meant nothing, since the Sicilians won. I bet the Southern Soul ladies were PISSED, since they were second in the egg-off. I wish they would have won, so those annoying waffle cheese boys could have gotten the boot. 

Other than that? Poor ostriches. They could have least moved the poor birds during that egg hunt. They were terrified. :(

• Love 5

I guess the budget for the series was cut significantly that they couldn't afford to employ filming crews on the road for really long periods of time (the time it takes to drive across the country) so they decided to keep it in California.  Personally, how are the food truck laws in East Coast cities?  Think it would have been interesting to go from Boston, the NYC, to Philly, to Baltimore, to DC rather than just staying in California.

2 hours ago, GaT said:

What was the point of making them find the ostrich eggs or cook with the poffertjes pans? I hate stupid challenges that have nothing to do with running a food truck.

Especially since the prize for winning the egg hunt was oh, a five minute head start on going to the grocery store.  Now if it had been extra money, that would have been significant. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Skyfall said:

It feels like Scripps is cutting money everywhere and hiring as many kids as possible for comp shows at reduced rates.

Agree.  It's so discouraging.  This was the channel that really ginned up my interest in food and taught me a lot in its prime.

Come on, FN - you're not paying actors $1m per ep for an action series.  At least give us a fun diversion with a culinary bent.  And some variety.

• Love 3
On 9/12/2016 at 2:12 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I assume the immunity for was this week's episode? In which case, it meant nothing, since the Sicilians won. I bet the Southern Soul ladies were PISSED, since they were second in the egg-off. I wish they would have won, so those annoying waffle cheese boys could have gotten the boot. 

Other than that? Poor ostriches. They could have least moved the poor birds during that egg hunt. They were terrified. :(

I was annoyed at the ostrich egg hunt. Where's PETA when you need them? Those poor birds indeed.

Otherwise... the egg challenge -- could they even taste the egg in the meatballs?

Those little pans were cute but what was the point? Adaptability?

So lame.

• Love 3

I deleted the series recording after watching this episode.  I don't like that Jersey Shore Vinnie has a leg up due to being "famous" and I also was quite upset that they won the egg challenge.  Like others said, what was the point of terrorizing the ostriches?  For an extra 5 minutes and a challenge that didn't even "showcase" the ostrich egg.  The challenge turned out to be basically tell us your family story and make a great dish. 

I also cared more when it had already-established food truck people. 

Granted I'm extra bitter because the Sweet Southern Soul truck was the only one I really liked, both people and food.  I guess next it would be the Leidies, so I hope they win.  But I won't be around to see it. 

• Love 3

When did FN select the auto-destruct option?  I loved this show, and they've drained it of all personality.  Does anyone know who's calling the shots now that they've dumped Kermit, and Medusa is nowhere to be seen?

I was so looking forward to this season, and they've gutted it.  Guess I'll be Team Leidies since I love Hawaiian food and attitude.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Lola16 said:

Otherwise... the egg challenge -- could they even taste the egg in the meatballs?

I agree.  I was so irritated that they won.  The egg should have been the highlight of the dish in my opinion.  Not just an ingredient, and I thought the other teams did better at doing so.

• Love 6

It seems to me the entire premise of this season's show is to showcase the Jersey Shore guy.  I would be willing to bet the TPTB wanted to create some kind of family-style show around his family - however they're not quite TV material and she keeps making spaghetti and meatballs.  Someone's bright idea was to incorporate it into Food Truck Race premise.  However since his family aren't food truck professionals, they had to gather up other non-food truck professionals so they would be able to compete.  None of these groups has talent for creating dishes on the fly, basic salesmanship or even food truck management.  The Jersey Shore truck just keeps making spaghetti and meatballs.

And how does Mama's spaghetti and meatballs even qualify as dish that showcases the ostrich eggs?

Edited by HansMoleman742
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Jersey Mama just irritates the hell out of me.  Maybe someone out there finds her perpetual clueness charming and engaging, but I just want to throw something  every time she appears onscreen.

The uncle used to be on Howard Stern and Watch What Happens Live etc. He was drunk, nasty, chauvinistic, etc.  Surprised he's so low key on this show.

• Love 1

I found this episode to be so irritating, that I'm just now getting around to commenting on it.

Those ostriches seemed stressed, which made me stressed, and stressed television watching is reserved for football and hockey.  The Sicilian team winning the ostrich egg challenge for not showcasing the egg, while every other team at least made an attempt, was complete bull. But my final straw with this show was the challenge of making them cook on those stupid pans. A professional chef would have regrouped, changed the menu to fit the challenge, and still struggled. These people don't even seem to be at the home cook level, and the food truck stoves didn't seem to get hot enough to heat the pans thoroughly. I bet even the people being paid by Food Network to be in line started to walk after 30 minutes of no food and not idea when it was coming, so they had to admit the challenge was a failure and give them back their pans. 

It seems to me the entire premise of this season's show is to showcase the Jersey Shore guy.  I would be willing to bet the TPTB wanted to create some kind of family-style show around his family - however they're not quite TV material and she keeps making spaghetti and meatballs.  Someone's bright idea was to incorporate it into Food Truck Race premise.

That makes perfect sense to me. It is a truncated season, a truncated route, and fewer trucks. FN was probably doing a test to see if the family would have a fan base for a show, and couldn't put a chef up against the Jersey Shore team because they would lose. Although, the Fortune Cooking team had a professional chef, I think. In any case, this season is a failure to me, but I've long since decided that I am not the viewer FN wants since they certainly don't show many shows I want to view. 

• Love 5
On 9/12/2016 at 11:12 AM, Sew Sumi said:

I took it as a sign that the show isn't rigged when the top selling truck also wins the immunity and Southern Soul just missed getting immunity and then ended up going home.  It would have been more "drama" if SS would have been saved by winning immunity and the cheese boys went home.

On 9/12/2016 at 11:25 AM, GaT said:

What was the point of making them find the ostrich eggs or cook with the poffertjes pans? I hate stupid challenges that have nothing to do with running a food truck.

You never know what you may need to run a food truck.  One day, I was trying to find a good location to set up my food truck.  I decided to veer off the highway and head down a little dirt road.  The road was narrow and rough as though it had only been used horses centuries ago.  It was too narrow to turn my truck around and I was forced to continue into the dark forest.  After traveling for a couple of days, I happened upon a small village that looked like it was forgotten by time.  Their were no cars, no cell towers, no sign of the 20th century (and certainly no sign of the 21st).  However, the people were friendly and very interested in my food truck.  I thought "wow, I just found the best place to sell" as the entire town gathered around. I needed eggs to make the batter for my southern style grilled cheese funnel cakes. However, there were no grocery stores around. Fortunately the local ostrich farmer was able to hook me up with a couple of eggs.  Just as I was ready to start cooking, I broke my funnel cake squirter.  A town without a grocery store, certainly isn't going to have a carnival supply store.  I tried to explain what I needed, but no one in town had ever seen a funnel cake.  My dream of finally hitting it big was fading until one of the townsfolk graciously handed me an odd-shaped pan - it had all these dents in it.  They called it an aebleskiver pan.  I drilled holes in the bottom of each little cup and was able to make multiple funnel cakes at the same time.   I sold more that day that I normally sell in a week and ended up with 4 pounds of beads, 2 goats, 8 gerbils, 16 bushels of rutabagas, and 3 bags of magic beans.  I was finaly able to turn my truck around and headed back into the forest in search of a town that uses money.

• Love 11

Eh. Don't know why I bothered watching. I can get bored and irritated all on my own.

Ridiculous egg hunt. Felt bad for the critters and wish at least one had gone renegade and started nipping all of them on their asses. Just one more GFTR disappointment.

Did the NJShores get extra cash for a selfie with Vinnie or did it come with a $15. order? Doesn't seem fair if they collected extra for a selfie. And who...?

Leidies! The expression is "coconut telegraph" NOT coconut telephone, complete w/ ridic. hand gestures. Stop it. Right now.

Boo! to Soul getting the boot. Seems like they should have gotten a little extra non-elimination mojo from having a fave review from whoeverthatwas. I will miss them. They're the only team I liked and....

Really not feeling the cheese-guys. The twins, I don't know if they have no affect or if their affect kind of creeps me out. Wish they had been eliminated.

Well, only a couple of weeks to go. Don't know how Tyler can muster so much enthusiasm for this shadow of a show.

RIP

• Love 4

The Grilled Cheese guys heed to go. Now they are on Chopped, showing theyare nothing more than reality tv fame whores. They actually presented raw pork chops. Their entree round, and somehow managed to get a pass to the final round. It was amazing to watch, a dish that the judges could not eat at all being allowed to proceed over two non FN celebrities who presented edible but slightly overcooked pork. 

Then the Cheese Dudes are shown over and over with horribly burnt sandwiches, which for some reason goes unmentioned. Seriously, since when is a Grilled cheese supposed to be black on the outside.? 

Even worse, these airheads use packaged Oscar Mayer boiled ham in their "gourmet" grilled cheee sandwiches. Bad enough they use that low end crap, but then they only put in a single slice per sandwich, and have the audacity to charge $15 a pop. 

It seems FN is pushing them and the Jersey Shore Guido crew for some strange reason. 

Jersey Shore can make spaghetti and meatballs. And they can make meatballs and spaghetti. Other than that, their pizzas look awful, and not worth anything close to what they charge for them. They had it easiest with the weird frying pan, as it was suited for making the meatballs. If they had to go outside the one dish they know how to make they would be lost. 

Did anyone else notice during the weird frying pan challenge several camera shots showed regular pots and pans on the grills in the background? I guess the budget cutbacks also include editors to check for such things.

Too bad the ostrichs didn't attack the contestants, now that would have been good reality TV.

• Love 3