Type keyword(s) to search

S33: Previews and Speculation

Daisy
  • Start Topic

57 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

Pearl Islands = almost a perfect season with great theme and great characters

Palau = great location and production values, also features interesting tribe diam all on 1 tribe

China = I am not as big a fan as most ppl but has a little bit of everything

Heroes vs Villains = all star season that will be more enjoyable if u know the history of all the players but features a lot of iconic moves

Phillipines = considered the beginning of Survivor's revival. interesting characters and good gameplay.

Cagayan = considered by many including myself to be the best post S20 season. 

Thanks. In looking a the wikia, I remember Rupert but don't think I watched Pearl Islands. I think I did watch the following All-Stars (season 8). So all these seasons look like good ones to watch.

16 hours ago, Lamima said:

I watched the first several season and then the last three... missing many in between. I want to go back and binge a few... any suggestions which ones I should watch?

Taking my answer to the Past Seasons thread.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Lamima said:

I watched the first several season and then the last three... missing many in between. I want to go back and binge a few... any suggestions which ones I should watch?

My suggestions...

Philippines: maybe the best (mostly) 1st-time cast, a tribal council that ranks in the top five IMO, a great F4 any of which would have made a fine winner;

Heroes vs Villains: incredible, cut-throat play, by many of Survivor's all-time greats, full of twists and turns that never let up;

Samoa: introducing Russell Hantz.  Love him or hate him (I did both), he helped move Survivor into the modern era;

Micronesia: the original three witches, who set a standard for three players unlikely to get matched again;

All-stars (s8): to my mind the single most impressive achievement by one player in Survivor history.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

I'd also add Cook Islands and Micronesia to the "must watch" list.

Those are my two favorites.  

Also, consider starting with Gabon since it's the first one in HD and working up to present so you know who most of the returning players are when they turn up.  Then go back and fill in the non-HD seasons after.   I like HD much better than not.  

And if you want to remain unspoiled avoid the DVD covers like as shown on Amazon Prime.   They give away the winners.  

1 hour ago, kikaha said:

All-stars (s8): to my mind the single most impressive achievement by one player in Survivor history.

I had to go look up who was in All Stars because I couldn't remember who this might be referring to lol. I really do forget most of these people/seasons the second they're not on my screen every week!

So, with that said, it's hard for me to really say what seasons to watch because I don't remember them! I especially couldn't tell you what most of the early seasons were like overall. I mean I remember who won and certain things that happened, but that's it.

That all being said, I agree that Cook Islands, Micronesia, and HvV are good ones. HvV might not have the impact though if you haven't seen the players' previous seasons.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
On 12/9/2016 at 10:33 PM, hincandenza said:

I love the fake idol trick in theory but I'm not recalling off the top of my head when it ever worked to save the person wielding it (even when some looked convincingly real), so this preview makes me think David is in real danger of going to the jury at the next tribal.  I'm sure the Survivor historians will correct me on the record , but while it's been simply ignored or played by someone who was tricked (or knew better but had to play it just in case) into thinking they'd been given an idol, it's never been used to redirect a vote and save someone who made their own FHII.

My all time favorite 'fake idol' play was the season where Ozzy literally took a stick and carved some scratches into it and the guy who found it was really dumb and believed it.  He showed it to Eliza who famously exclaimed "Its a stick!"  IIRC, she still took it and played it at tribal, as she knew the votes were against her.  She admitted she didn't think it was real, but had no choice.  The look on Probst' face was, 'you've gotta be fucking kidding me', as he declared it a fake and tossed it into the fire.

• Love 5
On 12/8/2016 at 3:57 PM, KimberStormer said:

You guys are blowing my mind right now.  All this for an episode where they double-eliminate two bores?  Amazing.  I wish I could share your enthusiasm but even when I was watching, to my mind, there was exactly one good episode.

But the real thing that amazes me is: Cambodia was TWO SEASONS AGO.  Cambodia!  There's been plenty of garbage around it, but it really boggles my mind if people think this season is better than Cambodia.

I don't want to change your minds -- I'm really happy to see this.  But I don't get it!  (Sorry for being OT somewhat but there's no general "this season" discussion thread)

Hey, add me me to the chorus of people singing praise of this season! My only peeve, which is completely on myself, is that due to prior recurring commitment I can only watch episodes at least two days late.

Most people have already expressed why they like this season and I agree with them. I'll just add a few thoughts:

I like that people are playing (the game of Survivor) hard and with no mercy instead of playing hog the camera time;

I like that people can play ruthlessly even while liking each other;

I like that each player made mistakes early on and learned from them;

I like that the casting was so good this year in finding interesting people that even if some I liked were voted early on I still like all those left, and most importantly it's a joy to see them play (well, maybe not Brett, and to a lesser extent Ken, but all the others for sure).

Sure, no one is playing only on game instinct/social game, but I'd say most of them have quite a high social component to their game. David or Jay, for instance, would not still be in the game if they had lacked that characteristic.

I also think Hannah is quite underrated, because she has grown into having a strong strategic and social game.

This growth, not just of Hannah, but of Jay, David and Adam has been a joy to watch for me. I'd say that the players voted off, with a few exceptions, were those that didn't know how to self correct. Only two lacklustre players left in the F6, that's very good (Cambodia had Kimmi and Keith, even Heroes vs. Villains had Jerri, Rupert and Colby in the F6).

I'd wish you'd kept on watching, and I'm not sure just reading the forum can help you understand this intangible things that are human interactions, interpersonal relations, and increasing mastery of the game. I was bummed after an early episode, but I've done a 180 on this season and whereas I won't know for sure where it will rank in my favourites until the finale, theres a good chance it will be high up my personal top half. 

Then again, I don't think I'll ever quit watching a season I started, because some of the best surprises (for me) came out of seasons that started weak :)  

• Love 11

There is speculation on other sites about how Survivor intro videos give away the winner. I've never stopped to analyze before but am avoiding work right now and just took a quick look at S33 Intro.

All players get 2 shots.  One is mostly a headshot of some sort without any background activity shown, e.g. a gaze, a scowl, a smile, etc.  The other is of some sort of activity such as participating in a challenge or doing something around camp such as gathering bamboo for the shelter, hacking away at wood, or trying to build fire. 

Jay is an exception.  He is the only one with two activity shots - and he is the only one with one activity being searching for an idol.  Could this mean anything?

Oh, and Sunday is also an exception.  She has two gaze shots - no activity shots but ya' know.  Kinda understandable for her.

Edited by Jextella
On 12/9/2016 at 3:28 AM, Fostersmom said:

I'm going to wildly speculate here that Jay wins this season because of another CBS show. Does anyone watch Life in Pieces? Tonight's episode had 2 characters making a crazy Survivor audition tape and one scene had Probst and a woman, I'm guessing casting or a producer, watching the tape in an office. 

I saw the preview for this show and all I could think was, please Probst - do NOT spend any time talking with anyone in the Life in Pieces cast, or discuss the show's cross-over with Survivor, or waste precious time plugging the show - not when there's a cast full of interesting people sitting behind you.  I need Probst to talk to every single person from the season...not just talk to a select few and ignore the rest and fill "extra" time with weird singers babbling on stage or interviewing random audience members.  JUST TALK TO THE CAST.  Probst - do you hear me?!??

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I saw the preview for this show and all I could think was, please Probst - do NOT spend any time talking with anyone in the Life in Pieces cast, or discuss the show's cross-over with Survivor, or waste precious time plugging the show - not when there's a cast full of interesting people sitting behind you.  I need Probst to talk to every single person from the season...not just talk to a select few and ignore the rest and fill "extra" time with weird singers babbling on stage or interviewing random audience members.  JUST TALK TO THE CAST.  Probst - do you hear me?!??

The way I approach the reunion is to not expect anything beyond the welcome opportunity to view the survivors in civvies and cleaned up.  That way, my disappointment is only mild not raging.

I also often don't even watch the reunion until the next day, which works fine, since it usually taints a good finale.

Just some helpful tips.  :)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I need Probst to talk to every single person from the season

I don't mean this to sound critical, but why?  Just as a respect thing?  There are 20 of them.  Has anyone ever said anything interesting in those one-liner 'interviews' they used to do, unless they got engaged or pregnant or a tropical virus or something?  They felt awkward to me.  Like the show either prepped them with a line or they're rambling nervously.  

I don't want to hear Mayim Bialik or a random kid on Joe's cuteness but I can live without soundbites from Paul and Rachel, too.  I'd rather hear more from the final 4 or so who didn't win or have a showmance, I think.  

I agree, @Special K - and I do typically watch the reunion the next morning (can't stay up that late).  But we know Probst can interview everyone (however briefly) because he's done it before.  I expect him to be on his very best behavior, keep things moving, and dispense with any extraneous nonsense.  This has been a great season and I need Probst to wrap it up nicely for all of us with a bow on top.

Having said that, though, he can totally grab the urn and swing from the outside of a helicopter or swim the ocean or rapel down a mountainside as he makes his way from FTC to the live set.  That's always good times.

EDIT: I normally don't need to hear from everyone, but I really liked this cast.  I do want to hear from Paul, Rachel, Michaela, Mari...even if it's just to acknowledge that they were indeed on the show.  I find it more awkward when Probst completely ignores half a dozen people.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Special K said:

The way I approach the reunion is to not expect anything beyond the welcome opportunity to view the survivors in civvies and cleaned up.  That way, my disappointment is only mild not raging.

I also often don't even watch the reunion until the next day, which works fine, since it usually taints a good finale.

Just some helpful tips.  :)

Good tips and a reminder to self not to get too excited for the finale given all the time spent on non-Survivor stuff.   "Rage" is the right word!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Having said that, though, he can totally grab the urn and swing from the outside of a helicopter or swim the ocean or rapel down a mountainside as he makes his way from FTC to the live set.  That's always good times.

Off topic (sorry mods!), but I understand Mark Burnett is producing the inauguration and suggested Trump fly in on a helicopter form Manhattan. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mark-burnett-helping-plan-trump-inauguration-report-954263

I'm hoping for a jet-ski, myself -- think of the hair shenanigans!  :-0

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't mean this to sound critical, but why?  Just as a respect thing?  There are 20 of them.  Has anyone ever said anything interesting in those one-liner 'interviews' they used to do, unless they got engaged or pregnant or a tropical virus or something?  They felt awkward to me.  Like the show either prepped them with a line or they're rambling nervously.  

I don't want to hear Mayim Bialik or a random kid on Joe's cuteness but I can live without soundbites from Paul and Rachel, too.  I'd rather hear more from the final 4 or so who didn't win or have a showmance, I think.  

Agreed.  Ultimately I want to hear from people who had an impact on the game.  It used to bother me when Probst began ignoring the majority of the cast, but really, we barely saw Rachel before her boot.  First boot Darnell got more airtime last season than she did, and he was still ignored (not to mention fourth place finisher Cydney).  I get annoyed when he talks to the same 3 people, and may bring someone else in, only to be condescending to him.  But I've accepted that, and I guess I'd rather he talk to the people we saw all season, than spend time with people we barely remember.  This season actually had a lot of good moments, wacky TC, and interesting relationship dynamics.  I do wish CBS allowed the reunion to actually start at 10, instead of 10:10ish.  And I don't care for celebrities crashing the stage (even in the name of charity), or Probst talking to Survivor players from 15 seasons ago in the audience.  But I'm fine with him not talking to everyone.  Mari and Michaela are the only pre-merges I cared about, but I don't even know what he'd ask Mari.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

Oh for those of you hoping that Probst wasn't going to talk about Figtayls tonight. I got nothing for ya.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/14/survivor-jeff-probst-millennials-gen-x-finale-reunion-taylor-figgy

“Yeah, we have to talk to them because people do want to know,” says Probst. “From what I heard, Taylor is just telling the truth, which is that he thought he was a single guy and then he came home and found out, ‘while I was gone, my ex-girlfriend discovered she’s pregnant.’ And so I think it’s difficult, but I imagine that Taylor will laugh as he tells the story, and Figgy will shrug her shoulders and say, ‘Yeah, moving on.’ It seems to be how they are. Although I do believe, and I’m going to ask Figgy, I believe that night at Tribal where I said, ‘I am an ordained minister,’ that if Taylor would have said yes, that Figgy would have said yes as well. I felt like they were in that place in life where, ‘Why not? Let’s do it.’” (Good thing they didn’t, it seems.)

Well, I didn't think he could avoid it.  I was hoping he would keep it at the 'are you together?  No?  Okay, moving on', but it doesn't sound like it.  At least Figgy won't be like most pre-mergers, who sit there and are ignored through the whole reunion.

Edited by LadyChatts