Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Weeding out the Weak

• Start Topic

Me, too!  I've cruised through the media thread--liked your updates on Anthony--searching for what kind of clusterfuckery they're going to get up to with "Teams Peck and Nunez."  Giving those two more power and enhancing their roles makes me a little . . . apprehensive.

(Marathons get everyone all primed and should lead up to the first episode of the new season.  Do you hear me, Walking Dead?)

• Love 1

Unfortunately they kept many of the people who gave very animated expressions during judging.  SMH.  It's going to take time to learn the inktestants, especially with so  many extra special names. 

I'm optimistic about this season IF Peck and Nunez actually act as mentors for their teams. As in, give them tips and advice and suggest corrections if the artists are doing something wrong. I don't know how judging will work if that's what they do, though.

Sure nerves, but as usual at the start there was quite a bit of janky work. I hate to see a good artist be eliminated because of stress, but at least Peck and Nunez had access to the contestants' portfolios and made their selections with overall talent in mind. 

• Love 2

I kind of gave the side eye to Nuner picking that gorgeous girl, Ryan Ashley, first.  So, I looked through some of her tats and wow, she is so talented, and has won tons of awards.  She does absolutely beautiful black and grey tattoos.

• Love 1

Oy, I didn't like this episode too much--too many people and not enough focus on the tattoos. I don't care that a ton of them wouldn't be there too long, I still want to see the work. Even the tattoos they did show flashed by so fast--and, ugh, ever since I upgraded DVRs, my remote's response time is so bad and delayed that it's near impossible to pause on anything!

Too bad so many of the women were pre-dumped, but it seems like many of them haven't been tattooing that long. (Although 3-4 years doing the same job would seem to be enough time to become proficient, but apparently not in this field.)

Does anyone remember when Nunez used to be the handsome lad on Miami Ink? Those days are gone.

I hope the canvases whose artists got unceremoniously booted were offered free fixes by Spike for the unfinished and scratchy work. Or maybe we'll see all of them on Redemption.

Who knows what the rest of her wardrobe would have been like, but the black woman whose first canvas tapped out ... mercy me, that was a lot of breast on full display.

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I didn't like this episode too much--too many people and not enough focus on the tattoos.

Spike has a gallery of the elimination tattoos, if interested. I always like to browse through at a leisurely pace so I have ample time to zoom and nitpick!

• Love 1

Haha, logically I know I can go to look at them on the website but Diva Me wants to see them while I watch the show! While the pausing issues I have are not Spike's fault, the fact that the show spends more time showing me dumb drama than it does tattoos is.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Honey said:

I kind of gave the side eye to Nuner picking that gorgeous girl, Ryan Ashley, first.  So, I looked through some of her tats and wow, she is so talented, and has won tons of awards.  She does absolutely beautiful black and grey tattoos.

Ryan's on Ollie's team, not Nunez.

Psyched to see Kelly Doty.  I've met her at conventions.  I'm concerned because she has her own style and I don't know how well that will translate to the the whole Ink Master idea.

I don't like the idea of Ollie and Nunez judging though.  If they are going to be mentors, then they should just do that and let there be guest judges each week.

Edited by AlliePK
  • Love 3

I don't see anything about the rules for this season but I'm tired so there's that.  I don't understand how Oliver and Nunez will be expected to or able to judge impartially if they have their teams.  Will they each have to put one person up from their own team for elimination?  

I was distinctly underwhelmed by the inktestants.  Maybe it was because there was just too damn many to start and we really didn't get to see much of anyone's work, much less those that were cut.  We only saw a few tattoos so it really felt like a filler/waste episode.  Maybe IM would have been better served to combine this with the first "real" episode so we would have had some honest challenges/competition at least. 

I do hope we will see some mentoring from both Oliver and Nunez.  Guest judges would be nice too. 

Noticed that Dave wasn't around for some of the ink-off, as Nunez was calling time.  Maybe he was bored too? 

4 hours ago, lordonia said:

Too bad so many of the women were pre-dumped, but it seems like many of them haven't been tattooing that long. (Although 3-4 years doing the same job would seem to be enough time to become proficient, but apparently not in this field.)

I was actually impressed by the number of women chosen for the season. Most were picked early, too. Looking at the flashes of work from their portfolios made their selections justified, too. I think we have some real contenders among the women. 

• Love 3

I was sad to see Elisheba go out.  She has an interesting style of work.  She does a lot of the watercolor looking tattoos, but she does more of an outline than a lot who do that style do (bulky sentence, but it's staying).  She outlines in the color of the ink that she's filling with.  She would have been an interesting add to a team.  I wished that Ollie had listened to Ryan and not picked the other twin for his team but went with Elisheba.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, AlliePK said:

Psyched to see Kelly Doty.  I've met her at conventions.  I'm concerned because she has her own style and I don't know how well that will translate to the the whole Ink Master idea.

Her stuff looked good. That bucktoothed bald kid who only did New School all season went far, maybe she can too.

4 hours ago, lordonia said:

Spike has a gallery of the elimination tattoos, if interested. I always like to browse through at a leisurely pace so I have ample time to zoom and nitpick!

Oh man, just scrolling through this. Can't really complain they got rid of Brett, the first guy eliminated, for that eagle American Traditional. The left-side wing is all jittery lines and it doesn't even have an edge on one side, he ran into another tattoo and just stopped at the edge. Weird.

Edited by Charlesman
11 minutes ago, AlliePK said:

I was sad to see Elisheba go out.  She has an interesting style of work.  She does a lot of the watercolor looking tattoos, but she does more of an outline than a lot who do that style do (bulky sentence, but it's staying).  She outlines in the color of the ink that she's filling with.  She would have been an interesting add to a team.  I wished that Ollie had listened to Ryan and not picked the other twin for his team but went with Elisheba.  

I thought that was a poor choice, too. I haven't seen the twin's portfolio, but I was more impressed by her on-air work than his. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, AlliePK said:

I would have liked to have seen her over a few of the picked artist, her design was at least interesting. The twin and snake lady's were especially bad. Maybe their portfolios were more impressive though.

Happy to see a lot of females chosen early. A lot of the women artist they recruit usually are very raw and get cut early, hopefully this is a different year.

I don't think they mentioned it, so I'm curious how judging is going to work. Nunez and Peck choose the bottom artist on their team and Dave decides maybe? It didn't look like in the previews they had guest judges. Guess we'll see next week.

• Love 1

When will they ever learn?  This is Season 8 and nobody has yet figured out that with Peck and Nunez there the two things you'd better know inside and out are American Traditional and Japanese!  It's like going on Drag Race and not knowing how to run a sewing machine.

I think Oliver saw some real potential in Ryan's art and he knew that if he didn't take her when he did, horndog Nunez would grab her and then immediately start working on grinding her down and destroying her confidence.

• Love 4

The team members were sweetly naïve when asked to make suggestions for further picks. Aw, so adorable thinking that they were actually building a group of people to round each other out and provide support!

Suckers. Next week ... bzzzt! You'll be competing against the people on your own team. The better to shit-stir, my dear.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Sile said:

I think Oliver saw some real potential in Ryan's art and he knew that if he didn't take her when he did, horndog Nunez would grab her and then immediately start working on grinding her down and destroying her confidence.

Oliver is at least; while not nurturing in any way, shape, or form, motivating and educational.  He has no issues with female tattooers, other than the the fact that his ex-wife is one.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AlliePK said:

Oliver is at least; while not nurturing in any way, shape, or form, motivating and educational.  He has no issues with female tattooers, other than the the fact that his ex-wife is one.

Speaking of, I keep hoping that Kat is going to be a guest judge one day. Throw us a bone, show!

• Love 1
On 8/24/2016 at 11:51 AM, AlliePK said:

Ryan's on Ollie's team, not Nunez.

I don't like the idea of Ollie and Nunez judging though.  If they are going to be mentors, then they should just do that and let there be guest judges each week.

Of course, too much alcohol and not enough brain use.  I meant Ollie.

18 hours ago, Apatee said:

I don't think they mentioned it, so I'm curious how judging is going to work. Nunez and Peck choose the bottom artist on their team and Dave decides maybe? It didn't look like in the previews they had guest judges. Guess we'll see next week.

I thought they said that one team will win the challenge, then I guess judging is the same as other seasons?

44 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I thought they said that one team will win the challenge, then I guess judging is the same as other seasons?

That makes sense. The only wrinkle could be if one of them tries to hamstring the other by getting rid of one of the better artists from the losing team. While I honestly don't think either of the guys is that petty, I can already hear the conspiracy theories. 

• Love 1

I'm happy that this season is not just an assemblage of half-assed "All Stars" from previous seasons that we never noticed in the first place.  

I'm happy that this season is not Master vs. Slave, Brother vs. Sister, Mom vs. Dad, Pimp vs. Ho, etc.  

I'm happy this season isn't artists from rival trailer parks competing for who has the most neck tattoos.

I'm happy to not see anybody named Dunbar, St. Marq, Sausage, Blinston, Emily or Tatu Baby. 

However the mentoring/judging works, I'm just glad for something different.  I just hope they don't completely muck it up.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 11

Lots of skill competition shows use a mentor (and even team mentors competing against each other.)  This flavor overwhelms the dish; you've made sleeves like this twice before. 

So if the season is those two truly "mentoring" and offering suggestions before the art gets past the point of no return, great--fewer people going home wearing women and wolves with anatomical deformities.

But what are the chances nobody has good art unless their designs reflect whatever Peck/Nunez would design?  I can't recall either of them ever saying, "Personally I would have done it differently, but it's beautiful work nonetheless."

Nunez said they'd had to watch seven seasons without having any input.  So why not take a spin at mentoring and rotate in some independent judges?  I'm leery that Peck and Nunez are the mentors, the judges AND competing against each other.  Sounds like the season of two tattoo giants with massive egos.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

I just want to know where Elisheba gets her hair decorations. Halloween's coming up and I want the cleaver and the bloody hand!

Try Kreepsville 666

I really liked the team aspect, this show has been steadily getting worse and worse, with no change working out, but I feel like this is dramatic enough to actually make the show more interesting. It also works for me to be able to cheer for Oliver, since he´s my favorite out of everyone that´s been on.

• Love 1