Type keyword(s) to search

Eve's Marathon Diary: Sex And The City Starts To Pair Off

• Start Topic

From our first meeting with Berger in S5, I had a very bad feeling about him. Everything in S6 confirmed my initial assessment: asshole.

I agree that Sam's outfits in 6A were ridiculous, but weirdly Carrie's got better and Miranda finally had her kickass style. I always felt Charlotte looked pretty flawless.

Petrovsky was such a douche. Gah.

Edited by ChlcGirl
Good to spell out the WHOLE name

Season 6A is probably my second favorite season, right after season 4.  There are so many good episodes and plot lines that are done really well.  Charlotte in particular has so many good moments - from realizing she royally fucked up when she starts screaming at Harry that she's too good for him, to her meeting Harry at the singles party and saying she's willing to be friends if he can't forgive her, straight to  her getting herself together, holding her head high and singing Happy Birthday to Brady after she's had her miscarriage.  Charlotte is the person that I think grew the most over the course of the series, and I think you can really see that in season 6.

I know I might be alone in my own island on this, but A Woman's Right to Shoes is one of my favorite episodes - granted, that may be because I'm currently single and childless (by choice) and know quite a few Kyra's, therefore I appreciate it a little more.  Kyra acted like an ass; Carrie may buy insanely expensive shoes, but if someone steals them from your party (a party where you required people to take their shoes off), then you have to replace them.  I always crack up when the ladies are discussing the situation at lunch and Carrie is waffling on whether to ask Tatum to replace the shoes, and Samantha says, "If you gave a party and told her to leave her baby outside in the hall and her baby was missing at the end of the night, believe me there'd be payback!" I think that might also be the tea bag episode, and the nonchalant way Samantha tells Charlotte to "breathe through her nose" when she misunderstands what's happening makes me lose my shit.

Miranda's "Dammit!!  I fucked up Debbie's B!" is probably one of my all-time favorite lines in the whole series.  Cynthia Nixon was just so great as Miranda; she and Kim Cattrall took what could have been very one-note characters in Miranda and Samantha and gave them such heart.  

I'll save most of my Aleks thoughts for 6B, since he's in more of that season, but I will say this - I have always thought the writers did a major disservice to his character in service of a Big/Carrie endgame.  I feel like the writers realized mid-way through the end of season 6B that Carrie couldn't end up with anyone other than Big, so they changed Aleks to fit the narrative.  A guy who is interested in her, actively wants to meet her friends, and defends her column to his friends just all of a sudden can't stand her friends and is dismissive of her work?  I don't buy it, and they only reason it happened was to open the door back up for Big & Carrie.  

• Love 7

A Women's right to shoes is probably one, if not my favorite episode of this series. It's just hilarious, but also Kyra is such a bitch about the whole situation. I really hated her whole speech about how it was Carries choice to buy expensive shoes not Kyra's and Carrie pointing out that once upon a time Lyra bought such expensive shoes.

Berger was the worst . He started out well but his insecurities with Carrie making more money than him and causing him to buy a bike and then leaving town for a whole week. The hell?

• Love 4

Season 6A is probably my second favorite season, right after season 4.  There are so many good episodes and plot lines that are done really well.  Charlotte in particular has so many good moments - from realizing she royally fucked up when she starts screaming at Harry that she's too good for him, to her meeting Harry at the singles party and saying she's willing to be friends if he can't forgive her, straight to  her getting herself together, holding her head high and singing Happy Birthday to Brady after she's had her miscarriage.  Charlotte is the person that I think grew the most over the course of the series, and I think you can really see that in season 6.

I know I might be alone in my own island on this, but A Woman's Right to Shoes is one of my favorite episodes - granted, that may be because I'm currently single and childless (by choice) and know quite a few Kyra's, therefore I appreciate it a little more.  Kyra acted like an ass; Carrie may buy insanely expensive shoes, but if someone steals them from your party (a party where you required people to take their shoes off), then you have to replace them.  I always crack up when the ladies are discussing the situation at lunch and Carrie is waffling on whether to ask Tatum to replace the shoes, and Samantha says, "If you gave a party and told her to leave her baby outside in the hall and her baby was missing at the end of the night, believe me there'd be payback!" I think that might also be the tea bag episode, and the nonchalant way Samantha tells Charlotte to "breathe through her nose" when she misunderstands what's happening makes me lose my shit.

Miranda's "Dammit!!  I fucked up Debbie's B!" is probably one of my all-time favorite lines in the whole series.  Cynthia Nixon was just so great as Miranda; she and Kim Cattrall took what could have been very one-note characters in Miranda and Samantha and gave them such heart.  

I'll save most of my Aleks thoughts for 6B, since he's in more of that season, but I will say this - I have always thought the writers did a major disservice to his character in service of a Big/Carrie endgame.  I feel like the writers realized mid-way through the end of season 6B that Carrie couldn't end up with anyone other than Big, so they changed Aleks to fit the narrative.  A guy who is interested in her, actively wants to meet her friends, and defends her column to his friends just all of a sudden can't stand her friends and is dismissive of her work?  I don't buy it, and they only reason it happened was to open the door back up for Big & Carrie.  

I think the one incident that bugged me most between Carrie and Alek is when Carrie's supposed to meet those French fans for dinner, but Alek is having a breakdown about his big opening and wants her to hold his hand all night, which she chooses to do. But why not just call the restaurant and let those people know she's been detained and will either be late or a no-show? And, once Alek drops her hand and goes off with the exhibit folks, why did she just sit there staring at him instead of taking that opportunity to go off to her dinner? How many years has it been, and those things are still bugging me! So much of that French wind-up seemed so slap-dash. The series deserved a better ending.

• Love 3

From our first meeting with Berger in S5, I had a very bad feeling about him. Everything in S6 confirmed my initial assessment: asshole.

I agree that Sam's outfits in 6A were ridiculous, but weirdly Carrie's got better and Miranda finally had her kickass style. I always felt Charlotte looked pretty flawless.

I think the reason Carrie's wardrobe got better is because Sarah Jessica was pregnant.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

I think the reason Carrie's wardrobe got better is because Sarah Jessica was pregnant.

However it happened, I'm just really thankful.  Her pink 80s prom dress, with giant gold pretzel necklace and scarf tied on her head with the corner sticking up is burned forever in my memory.  And not in a good way.

I did like how Carrie dressed in most of this season, but yes like someone else said it was because she was pregnant. But most of her outfits were super cute this season. The thing is and what her problem is she would have something cute or pretty on and she would add on so many accessories to it or wear the wrong shoes. The big moment for me with this was the movie and how she runied that  gorgeous wedding dress by putting a bird in her hair!!! The hell was that?

9 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

No - when she wore this monstrosity in season whatever.

wtfcarrie.jpg

Holy hell. I have watched the entire series more than once (own the White Collector's Edition set) and have never recalled seeing...this. Clearly, my brain was trying to protect me from the horror and it has my eternal thanks.

Now I just fear I'll never rid this travesty from my mind.

• Love 1

Now I need to rewatch seasons 3 and 4 to see which episode it was in.  I remember that when I originally saw it on the show, I wanted to throw the remote at the TV in disgust.

38 minutes ago, Quof said:

It's not just the dress. And the bandana, and the necklace, and the brooch.....

It's the white pumps!!!!

I'm not sure it's a brooch.  It may be (God help us all ...) a corsage.

I hate myself for even typing that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Quof said:

It's not just the dress. And the bandana, and the necklace, and the brooch.....

It's the white pumps!!!!

I think she's also wearing white pumps in the Paris scene where she steps in dog crap.

• Love 2

A Women's right to shoes is probably one, if not my favorite episode of this series. It's just hilarious, but also Kyra is such a bitch about the whole situation. I really hated her whole speech about how it was Carries choice to buy expensive shoes not Kyra's and Carrie pointing out that once upon a time Lyra bought such expensive shoes.

Berger was the worst . He started out well but his insecurities with Carrie making more money than him and causing him to buy a bike and then leaving town for a whole week. The hell?

I love that episode, too. Tatum O'Neal is so bitchy in it. Also, she lives in a massive apartment in New York, I didn't think she was hurting for money. She just decided to shame Carrie cause she didn't want to pay.

And Carrie's speech to Charlotte about, as a single person after graduation , you don't really get presents celebrating things.

• Love 5
  On 23/08/2016 at 1:18 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I think the one incident that bugged me most between Carrie and Alek is when Carrie's supposed to meet those French fans for dinner, but Alek is having a breakdown about his big opening and wants her to hold his hand all night, which she chooses to do. But why not just call the restaurant and let those people know she's been detained and will either be late or a no-show? And, once Alek drops her hand and goes off with the exhibit folks, why did she just sit there staring at him instead of taking that opportunity to go off to her dinner? How many years has it been, and those things are still bugging me! So much of that French wind-up seemed so slap-dash. The series deserved a better ending.

Or come back to the bookstore the next day with the wine stained book and apologize. The whole thing in Paris drove me mental. Carrie became extra needy and irritating. She had been for a few seasons, but she really poured it on.

Never quite as irritating as when she wouldn't let Alek talk about his friend who died of breast cancer when he was just wanting her to prepare herself. That was the worst. Shut up, Carrie.

• Love 3

Eh, I'm kind of like Carrie in the way Alek approached that conversation about his friend who had died. Maybe immaturely but it's a lot. I seem to recall him bluntly stating he had a friend who had cancer and died. And that's.. Not something Carrie was able to hear when it could very well happen. I wouldn't be able to hear it to like that either. 

I'm not sure if I didn't like Alek or if I didn't like Carrie with Alek? I remember when she had the girls and the husbands/boyfriends over for a dinner party and Samantha was talking about something related to sex and Alek wasn't comfortable, his facial expressions and Carrie noticed and her facial expression acted all put out. I don't know it just bugged me for some reason. 

I would say that parts in this season where Carrie was single were good. I like her single and living her life. It's why i enjoy her most in the shoes episode because she makes excellent points( how women who are childless and unmarried by choice get nothing to celebrate just being them). My favorite moment is when she calls Kyra to apologize and Jura pits the phone down and her daughter picks it up and is like "Santa?" God. I want that Carrie in all these episodes!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Eh, I'm kind of like Carrie in the way Alek approached that conversation about his friend who had died. Maybe immaturely but it's a lot. I seem to recall him bluntly stating he had a friend who had cancer and died. And that's.. Not something Carrie was able to hear when it could very well happen. I wouldn't be able to hear it to like that either. 

I'm not sure if I didn't like Alek or if I didn't like Carrie with Alek? I remember when she had the girls and the husbands/boyfriends over for a dinner party and Samantha was talking about something related to sex and Alek wasn't comfortable, his facial expressions and Carrie noticed and her facial expression acted all put out. I don't know it just bugged me for some reason. 

I would say that parts in this season where Carrie was single were good. I like her single and living her life. It's why i enjoy her most in the shoes episode because she makes excellent points( how women who are childless and unmarried by choice get nothing to celebrate just being them). My favorite moment is when she calls Kyra to apologize and Jura pits the phone down and her daughter picks it up and is like "Santa?" God. I want that Carrie in all these episodes!

She was "needy Carrie" probably too many times. She had an unsettling habit of trying to become whatever she thought the man she was with at the moment wanted her to be.  With the politician, she changed her wardrobe and went on the campaign trail, even though she didn't give a shit about politics and wasn't even registered to vote.  With Aidan, she hated his cabin and was bored shitless there, but went up there on weekends and tried to make a pie (though why she needed to borrow milk to make an apple pie still puzzles me).  And don't even get me started on the nonsense she put herself through for Berger.  Even with Big I don't think we ever saw her actually being herself with him until the second (and most horrible of all time) movie, when she gives him the "this is it -- it's only going to be us" speech.  For a supposed free spirit, Carrie seldom seemed all that free when it came to men.

• Love 6
On 8/30/2016 at 1:48 AM, pbutler111 said:

She was "needy Carrie" probably too many times. She had an unsettling habit of trying to become whatever she thought the man she was with at the moment wanted her to be.  With the politician, she changed her wardrobe and went on the campaign trail, even though she didn't give a shit about politics and wasn't even registered to vote.  With Aidan, she hated his cabin and was bored shitless there, but went up there on weekends and tried to make a pie (though why she needed to borrow milk to make an apple pie still puzzles me).  And don't even get me started on the nonsense she put herself through for Berger.  Even with Big I don't think we ever saw her actually being herself with him until the second (and most horrible of all time) movie, when she gives him the "this is it -- it's only going to be us" speech.  For a supposed free spirit, Carrie seldom seemed all that free when it came to men.

Amen. And unfortunately some women are just like that. I hate that when I see it in friends or relatives. It's like their whole personnalities that I thought I knew goes out the window. Never a good sign for the budding relationship!  

• Love 2
On 8/25/2016 at 4:59 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Holy hell. I have watched the entire series more than once (own the White Collector's Edition set) and have never recalled seeing...this. Clearly, my brain was trying to protect me from the horror and it has my eternal thanks.

Now I just fear I'll never rid this travesty from my mind.

I don't actually remember that one, either.  I wonder if this is something that never actually made it into the show?

• Love 1
On 10/6/2016 at 11:42 AM, ChlcGirl said:

Based on that prom dress/gang head kerchief ensemble, I'm going to go with no.

For me it was the outfit from the episode where she and Miranda tried on wedding dresses, where she was wearing a green belt around her bare midriff, with a matching green skirt, and a blouse tied around her waist. What the everloving hell was that getup? A close second was the outfit in "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda," when she was wearing some sort of schoolgirl gone bad getup. Yikes. 

• Love 2

I think I said it before but my main problem with Carrie and how she dressed was that she over added to almost every outfit.  The main thing that I always think back to isn't even the show, it's the wedding dress, which during the photo shoot scenes was so pretty and then she went and put a blue bird hair piece for...reasons? Like.. what? I can't even explain that.

I am however excluding the picture above from this narrative because nothing could save that terrible outfit. The dress is bad. The shoes are bad. The accessories are bad. Also.. she's wearing what looks to be a FORMAL dress in the daytime to..walk around/probably shopping? The hell? She's out running errands in that outfit. It is not a causal dress. I'm sure this outfit was meant to be looked at as high-fashion or something, but really..? 

Again, I will see Carrie/SJP really had great outfits in season 6 A. I liked the cute outfit she wore at the end of 'A Woman's right to shoes', it was like a cute top and cute cargo pants and her shoes that Kyra bought and she was just skipping around NYC and for some reason, that outfit just always makes me smile, because it's a normal OUTFIT. That's my problem a lot with the clothes, they tried way too hard to be high-brow fashion or something and I get what they were trying to do SATC was a fantasy and even the PTBS have said this many times, but it looked ridiculous, the clothes didn't look cute and the show seemed to suffer from throwing anything with a designer label on the characters because it's a high-end designer!  

• Love 3
On 10/8/2016 at 2:38 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

I think I said it before but my main problem with Carrie and how she dressed was that she over added to almost every outfit.  

Yeah, that always drove me nuts too. My rule has always been that if I'm going to wear one funky or weird thing (and for me it's usually earrings or shoes), then that's it. Everything else is more on the conservative side to balance it out. 

One outfit that I've seen a lot of people rip on was the green satin mini skirt she wore to her dinner with Big when she had to escape from Aidan's cabin in the country. It looked normal from the front, but then in the back it had this huge white ruffle. Yes, it was ridiculous, but for some reason I liked it, and I think it's because she wore it with a regular white blouse. When she did stuff like that, the weirder stuff she wore worked. She was able to pull off the funky/eclectic/fashion risk taker vibe.

• Love 2

While I think the back of that green satin skirt was idiotic, I agree that overall I loved that outfit.  Not just because, as you mentioned, the white shirt balanced the cha-cha ruffled back, but because the color of the skirt was beyond gorgeous, and because SJP, whose looks I've never been a fan of at all, looked truly lovely in it.  Her legs were shown off to perfection and the whole outfit was tailored beautifully.

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 1

Hey, I'd say they got the outfits perfectly right, seeing as those are still keeping this thread alive how many years later :)

As for me, I may remember lines or situations from the show, but all these outfits described here left absolutely no imprint in my memory.

• Love 1

I feel like it was earlier than six.  Maybe .. season 4?  Though she had her oddness in season 3. I'm rewatching on OnDemand right now and she wears a startling amount of gold lame in S3.  Who besides Liberace wears so much gold lame? And I think this is the season for the giant gold pretzel necklace.

Edited by ChlcGirl
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:34 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I liked SJP with the shorter hair...it made her look cute and more stylish as opposed to the long and curly hair.  I think she had the shorter hair in season 5...where she wore a lot of loose sweaters.

Wasn't she pregnant for a chunk of that season?  I seem to recall that's why it was cut short (only 6 episodes).

I think they were having fun dressing SJP and were able to put any outlandish ensemble on her because her figure is so amazing.  She really had a knack for pulling off ridiculous on anyone else looks and making it work.   

I really wish the show could comeback.  They will never be too old.   Retool it a bit, let women do the writing.  I so miss the chemistry they had and the fluffy fun. 

• Love 1
On 9/27/2016 at 1:05 PM, TeslaNewton said:

She wore it in a season 4 episode but I forget which one.

I just rewatched season 4 and the pink prom dress outfit was in Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.  Since the belt on the bare midriff outfit (Change of a Dress), the giant gold pretzel necklace (I ❤ New York), controversial green mini, and nurse cape are also part of this season, I think we can agree that S4 is the absolutely worst for Carrie wardrobe-wise.

On the other hand, Miranda and Charlotte looked gorgeous throughout.  Sam was hot and cold (I adored the Racquel Welsh Sassy Shag wig look)

On 23/08/2016 at 5:44 PM, ChlcGirl said:

You know what I agree with you. Berger seemed a little off key from day one. I knew it would not work out with Carrie. He had issues.

Petrovsky wasn't any better. Chalk and cheese. She really knows how to pick them. 

Out of all the ladies Charlotte looked well put together. Her fashion sense was in point!

• Love 2