Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

On 9/1/2016 at 8:51 AM, DeLurker said:

I'm hoping the Worx edger/trimmer works as advertised on TV since I just ordered one.  Mom ordered the leaf blower from them and it really works well.

Just tried my edger/trimmer out - and while I don't use it with the ease seen on the commercials, it is pretty good.  Well designed overall, but probably not if you are over 6 ft.

I got the 32v instead of the 20v advertised, because I have tough St Augustine grass to contend with.

On 8/23/2016 at 1:39 PM, Lola16 said:

Urine Gone - the pet stain remover - is fantastic.  I don't bother with the kit with the black light but my boss used it to find where in the basement the cats were peeing.  (Answer: all over) It's great on any surface, removes all bodily fluids (animal and people), doesn't leave an odor.  I had a foster cat who had a rough few months and it saved my carpets, cat carriers, bedding, bath mat, sofa, clothing, etc etc.  I get it from either Bed Bath & Beyond (with the coupons) or Walgreen's online. 

Bacon cup - I have the black plastic mold that lets you wrap bacon around it, then you microwave and you make a bacon basket for your eggs.  It's cute.

bacon-cup-basket.jpg

I have a copper Jello mold that I use to make taco salad bowls out of flour tortillas. I got the idea from an ASOTV product that does the same thing for the low, low price of $19.99. I got my mold at a garage sale for $0.50.

• Love 4

I have a copper Jello mold that I use to make taco salad bowls out of flour tortillas. I got the idea from an ASOTV product that does the same thing for the low, low price of $19.99. I got my mold at a garage sale for $0.50.

hmmmm, give me ideas, I have a bunch of copper jello molds that I got from flea markets several years ago, I used them as wall decor, but maybe when I get moved and unpack them, I should start getting creative with jello! I never paid more than $2 for any one, probably paid about $20 for all 10 or 12 I have. Problem is, I'm not that crazy about getting creative with jello!

I have a friend that posts on FB daily some weird recipe involving jello, or at least something with chopped meats or fish in a gelatin mold.  I think I would just stick with canned fruit (drained, of course) and set up in jello.

On a different item as seen on tv, I think the race car track that lights up in bright colors could be fun. I think I'd find my way to the floor to play with it. Someone would have to get me one of helpful canes to stand back up though.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 5

friendperidot........which copper skillet do you have?  I've seen the standard round shaped ones but I just saw a commercial for a square, deep-sided one that comes with a steamer tray and basket for deep frying (which I never do but it would be good for veggies or pasta).  Seriously thinking about this one.  Even tho I will never give up my go-to 80 yr old cast iron skillet.  I use it almost everyday.  Treat 'em right and they will outlive you....;-)

ETA....I want that race track, too!  I have no grandkids (dammit!) but I would play with that myself.

Edited by OhioSongbird
...forgot to mention the product....doh!....
  • Love 1

Oh, I don't have any of the copper pans, but I think they might be interesting to have. I kind of like the one with all the accessories, the frying baskets, steamer tray. I have had cast iron skillets in the past, but I am one of the few people in the world who does not like them. I am small, 4'11", still weigh about 20 lbs too many, have a few years on me, so I don't like handling the cast iron, they are too heavy for me. When I was married, I did think one skillet would make a particularly good instrument for beating my drunk husband, but that's really almost a joke and I never did it, but I did have to call Al-Anon friends to be talked out of it. 

I am not really a cook, have little interest in being a cook, would rather make reservations or call for carry out than cook. I only cook because I have to eat, so I want simple, simple prep, simple cooking and simple clean-up.

I do have a large collection of decorative, copper jello molds, I've got rings, stacks of rounds on top of rounds, a fish - whic probably is for a salmon mold, not jello, but I only hang them on the wall, what do I know.

I think truly, there are only a couple of ASOTV I seriously want, one is that scissors/small cutting board thing, if you can keep it sharp enough, what fun! I'd love to cut potatoes and carrots and onions like that. The other thing, I think I can find at a nice kitchen supply store is a good ceramic knife. I'm living in a spare room at my sister's right now so until I get settled in my own home again, no purchasing anything like these for me.

• Love 1
On 8/23/2016 at 1:39 PM, Lola16 said:

bacon-cup-basket.jpg

Help! I'm not trying to re-post this, but I can't get it to go away!!!!!

I do have a large collection of decorative, copper jello molds, I've got rings, stacks of rounds on top of rounds, a fish - whic probably is for a salmon mold, not jello, but I only hang them on the wall, what do I know.

I have made some really cool looking cakes in mine. 

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Help! I'm not trying to re-post this, but I can't get it to go away!!!!!

Cmd-right click in the quote section of the editor give you a popup to delete things like that. It may take a few tries for it to register that it should show the editor's popup instead of the normal browser one.

On 9/13/2016 at 1:53 PM, friendperidot said:

I have a friend that posts on FB daily some weird recipe involving jello, or at least something with chopped meats or fish in a gelatin mold.  I think I would just stick with canned fruit (drained, of course) and set up in jello.

Mmmm ... canned pears in lime Jell-O. A childhood favorite of mine. 

I've seen crab mousse recipes that call for a little gelatin, but not Jell-O. 

Does anyone remember an ad from a few years ago for shower mats that were guaranteed not to go moldy? I guess they didn't work, because they disappeared quickly.

On 9/14/2016 at 5:10 PM, OhioSongbird said:

My bad fp....it was riley702's post.  So riley I put the question to you (in my best John McLaughlin voice...RIP guy...I enjoyed you every Sunday).  Which one do you have?

I just have the regular skillet - 10 or 12 in., I think.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, forumfish said:

I like the idea of dipping the handles of various tools in it to make them easier to grip (I've never had much strength in my hands).

Have you tried rubber coated work gloves? They're cloth gloves with a latex coating on the palm side and are relatively inexpensive; the local Harbor Freight sells them for $1.49 with their general discount coupon, and it looks like Walmart offers something similar for two bucks.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, forumfish said:

has anyone tried Flex Seal? If it works, I like the idea of dipping the handles of various tools in it to make them easier to grip (I've never had much strength in my hands).

Not tried, but that stuff always makes me want to get a broken boat and fix it. Just cuz.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, erikdepressant said:

I hope I'm not alone in this... I like orange Jell-O with shredded carrot in it.

I'm too lazy to shred carrots, but I got my kids to eat cottage cheese by putting it in orange jello. 

Re Flex-Seal, it looks like it'd work really well but that it would be expensive for some projects.  When I see that guy painting his basement wall, I wonder how many gallons it will take.  It's not paint -- the stuff is thick.

I have a vague memory of a miraculous toilet bowl cleaner and am wondering what it was and if it works.  The water here is hard (iron).  I use Whink tablets in the tank, but I still get orange rings in the bowl.  Embarrassing as heck, because visitors probably think it's a pee ring.  It's not -- it's really not!  I've scrubbed with powder cleansers, with rags soaked in CLR, with a pumice stone, The Works, etc. -- it's starting to look like we need to buy new toilets.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Re Flex-Seal, it looks like it'd work really well but that it would be expensive for some projects.  When I see that guy painting his basement wall, I wonder how many gallons it will take.  It's not paint -- the stuff is thick.

I can't recall the term I'm looking for at the moment, but there are companies that specialize in leaky basements that apply a similar thing, basically, it gets painted on and is a rubberized coating and no more leaks but also somehow to the extent that it needs to in order to function, the wall can still "breathe"? An expensive process but I wonder if flex-seal DIYing it saves money over hiring out big company to do it professionally. Assuming the products are indeed comparable and/or that flex seal is cheaper or similar in price to the commercial product (cuz otherwise you'd just buy the same stuff the pros use if it doesn't require special equipment to apply).

2 hours ago, ennui said:

I had an acquaintance tell me that Flex Seal does not work. However, they've been selling it for years, so it must work for someone.

I wonder if its effectiveness varies significantly depending on the application... I mean obviously they advertise it for a shitload of applications, but I wonder if it's 'meh for some of their list and heck yeah for others.

• Love 2
On 9/16/2016 at 7:58 PM, theatremouse said:

I wonder if its effectiveness varies significantly depending on the application... I mean obviously they advertise it for a shitload of applications, but I wonder if it's 'meh for some of their list and heck yeah for others.

Flex Seal works well for light bladder leakage.

• Love 9
On 9/16/2016 at 8:58 PM, theatremouse said:

Assuming the products are indeed comparable and/or that flex seal is cheaper or similar in price to the commercial product (cuz otherwise you'd just buy the same stuff the pros use if it doesn't require special equipment to apply).

Most people don't want five gallons of the stuff.

• Love 1

I used to have the Aircore Walkaway Cookware from the infomercial.  It's like a cross between a thermos and a crockpot.  You heat it on the stove, then take it off the heat, and the food finishes cooking inside.  There's no sound on this video, but you get the idea:

It was good for soups and stews, and almost nothing else.

I stopped using it when I began seeing online warnings that the cookware explodes on the stove.

• Love 3

I'm curious about those super lightweight hoses that *never kink*. 

We bought a couple of these, one for our RV and one for the yard, The RV application is great since it's stored out of the light and does shrink up nicely but they do tell you not to drink the water from the hose (like most other hoses). Since we don't drink from the trailer tank, it's fine. 

The yard one is OK, but it doesn't shrink all that well, and the storage thing i bought for it is useless (hangs off the faucet, theoretically. In actual use, falls off). Love the idea of a cat litter container, will try that. 

• Love 3
On 9/21/2016 at 0:15 PM, bad things are bad said:

We bought a couple of these, one for our RV and one for the yard, The RV application is great since it's stored out of the light and does shrink up nicely but they do tell you not to drink the water from the hose (like most other hoses). Since we don't drink from the trailer tank, it's fine. 

The yard one is OK, but it doesn't shrink all that well, and the storage thing i bought for it is useless (hangs off the faucet, theoretically. In actual use, falls off). Love the idea of a cat litter container, will try that. 

Why should you not  drink from the hose? I missed  that one. I grew up drinking  from the hose.

• Love 5

Hoses that aren't labelled "safe" for drinking apparently have significant amounts of lead and other unsavory chemicals, and I drank from the hose when I was a kid too! Still do on occasion. 

If you really want to drink from a hose, look for a hose that's specifically labelled as safe for drinking. 

Edited by bad things are bad
  • Love 4

When I was a kid (back in the dark ages) we always drank from the hose in the summer.  It tasted so good.  Maybe the chemicals in the hose made it tasty.  If we would have gone inside to get a drink, our parents would have looked at us like we were crazy.  

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to shoo some kids off my lawn. 

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Hoses that aren't labelled "safe" for drinking apparently have significant amounts of lead and other unsavory chemicals,

No, it just means they're not willing to vouch for them, probably because the company is outsourcing. Hoses that the manufacturer knows are unsafe will be marked as such.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Hoses that aren't labelled "safe" for drinking apparently have significant amounts of lead and other unsavory chemicals, and I drank from the hose when I was a kid too! Still do on occasion. 

If you really want to drink from a hose, look for a hose that's specifically labelled as safe for drinking. 

Thanks

• Love 1
On 9/22/2016 at 10:49 AM, OSM Mom said:

When I was a kid (back in the dark ages) we always drank from the hose in the summer.  It tasted so good.  Maybe the chemicals in the hose made it tasty.  If we would have gone inside to get a drink, our parents would have looked at us like we were crazy.  

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to shoo some kids off my lawn. 

You are right, the water from the hose always tasted the best. Mmmmm, yummy chemicals.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Must be why nicotine gum doesn't work for me. It's not the nicotine I'm addicted to, it's the delicious arsenic.

Were you not able to quit?  I quit, many years ago, using chantix for 5 days, then a couple years using the mint lozenges and I weaned myself off them, too.  BEST of luck to you, girl!!

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Were you not able to quit?  I quit, many years ago, using chantix for 5 days, then a couple years using the mint lozenges and I weaned myself off them, too.  BEST of luck to you, girl!!

Thank you. I tried chantix and it did reduce my desire to smoke. It also reduced my desire to live. Nightmares like you can't believe. Then I started having them when I was awake.

Has anybody got one of those copper pans that the Dump Cake lady advertises? It looks to good to be true. I wonder if it's one of those things that works great for a month or two and then falls apart.

• Love 3
On 9/22/2016 at 10:46 AM, bad things are bad said:

Since I drink wine from lead crystal stemware, I don't think the garden hose will be a problem. I'm doomed anyway.

• Love 9

sometimes, it's not the product I wonder about, in fact there are some good ideas out there, but it's the benefits that they list in the ads that gets me. And sometimes it's the product. I have never decorated the outside of a house for Christmas or any other holidays and I'm not really interested in seeing other people's either, but the idea of star bright or whatever it is where some thing projects little lights all over your house just seems dumb to me. I can almost see doing it on the ceiling of a bedroom though. And I lost interest in decorating a tree after my parents died several years ago, may do it this year if I get moved back into a home of my home by Christmas this year if my nephew wants, but otherwise, probably won't. I've never had a problem with tangled up lights because when I take them down, I carefully wrap them around light holder, and I don't really like the look of those that you put the ring around the top of the tree and drop the line of lights down the sides, but what really irritates me is the woman who says she was amazed by her tree and couldn't take her eyes off of it, I always think she must be simple minded. I've liked a lot of decorated trees over the years, but I can take my eyes off of them.

• Love 4

Our across the street neighbors have one of those projection thingies and I have to admit it does look kind of cool, but they also have conventional Christmas lights as well. It would probably look stupid with just the projected ones. 

What about that Dump Cake lady and her copper pans? I must admit I'm tempted. 

• Love 1
On 10/5/2016 at 0:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

We need new pillows. Does anyone have a My Pillow? How do you like them? My hubby likes grain pillows and I like foam. We are having trouble deciding.

There has been a prior discussion of My Pillow.  Scroll back a few pages and you will find it (or do a search).  The reviews didn't convince me to get one, though.

• Love 1

peacheslatour, how about getting one My Pillow and one of something else? Unless they only come in sets of two. 

And for the dumplady's copper pan, I'm tempted also. The idea of square pans was interesting, then I started reading about why pans are round and one of the reasons is because of early cooking utensils being clay pots and tradition, but another bigger reason is that round distributes heat more evenly. I do have older Corning Ware and those pans are square and because they are glass, I don't turn the heat under them very high, I've burned a lot of food and learned the hard way. I'll have to do more research on the copper pans. And is it just me, I just heard her call it the square dance pan, I don't think she originally call it that. But it's possible I didn't hear it until I was posting on FB about my parents square dancing many years ago.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2016 at 3:24 PM, ennui said:

Since I drink wine from lead crystal stemware, I don't think the garden hose will be a problem. I'm doomed anyway.

On 10/5/2016 at 0:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

We need new pillows. Does anyone have a My Pillow? How do you like them? My hubby likes grain pillows and I like foam. We are having trouble deciding.

I have 2, and they are ok. I miss my feather  pillows  but had to give them  up due to allergies .  The have chopped  up bits of foam in the. I like them because  you cam squish  them up under your  neck and head. Sometimes  I can feel chopped bits of foam. I like the fact  you can wash them and so far they have  not flattened down like regular  foam pillows . 

• Love 3

When I was a kid in Miami, there was a nearby house that projected falling snowflakes onto their two-story house.  Two-story houses were a rarity in Miami in the 50s, so that, in itself, was novel to see...but FALLING SNOWFLAKES!!! Wow!  We moved from Philly when I was 2, so I didn't remember snow. Oh, my, that was SO exciting, even though I knew it was a stupid light show.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I have 2, and they are ok. I miss my feather  pillows  but had to give them  up due to allergies .  The have chopped  up bits of foam in the. I like them because  you cam squish  them up under your  neck and head. Sometimes  I can feel chopped bits of foam. I like the fact  you can wash them and so far they have  not flattened down like regular  foam pillows . 

Good to know, thanks. It looks like we're going to try them. I'll report back.

That Spin brush thing looks kind of cool, especially with the extender handle. I hate getting on my knees to scrub the tub. But the bristles look kind of soft. Does anyone have one?

• Love 1