Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, St. Claire said:

I love my George Foreman (I got a small one in the aforementioned family Christmas gift bag), but that sausage cooker is out of my price range. I use it for meats, sandwiches (poor man's panini press!), quesadillas...I will say that it was worth so much more to me than a bunch of single-use pieces.

Years ago, I worked at a store, and one of my managers bought a ton of hot dogs and hamburger patties for a staff picnic we had.  There ended up being way too much for the amount of people who showed up, so they brought the leftover picnic stuff to the store for us to eat on our breaks.  Someone got a George Foreman grill for us to use to cook the meat.  We got a ton of use out of that thing, long after we ran out of hamburgers and hot dogs. 

• Love 3
On 10/7/2016 at 2:30 AM, friendperidot said:

sometimes, it's not the product I wonder about, in fact there are some good ideas out there, but it's the benefits that they list in the ads that gets me. And sometimes it's the product. I have never decorated the outside of a house for Christmas or any other holidays and I'm not really interested in seeing other people's either, but the idea of star bright or whatever it is where some thing projects little lights all over your house just seems dumb to me. I can almost see doing it on the ceiling of a bedroom though. And I lost interest in decorating a tree after my parents died several years ago, may do it this year if I get moved back into a home of my home by Christmas this year if my nephew wants, but otherwise, probably won't. I've never had a problem with tangled up lights because when I take them down, I carefully wrap them around light holder, and I don't really like the look of those that you put the ring around the top of the tree and drop the line of lights down the sides, but what really irritates me is the woman who says she was amazed by her tree and couldn't take her eyes off of it, I always think she must be simple minded. I've liked a lot of decorated trees over the years, but I can take my eyes off of them.

Some friends of mine bought those to shine into the trees for a backyard party and it looked really, really cool. I don't think they'd fool anyone into thinking you were Clark Griswold just shining them at your house, though.

My cousin puts like 2000 lights on her Christmas tree, wrapping them around each branch from trunk to tip. It looks amazing. I asked her if it was hard to take them off after the holidays and she said "nope, I just pitch them out with the tree and buy new ones on clearance." Yes, it's totally wasteful, but probably 50 bucks well spent. 

Edited by bitchin camaro
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

My cousin puts like 2000 lights on her Christmas tree, wrapping them around each branch from trunk to tip. It looks amazing. I asked her if it was hard to take them off after the holidays and she said "nope, I just pitch them out with the tree and buy new ones on clearance."

If it's a natural tree, it can't be run through the chipper and mulched with all those wires on it.

• Love 5
On 11/4/2016 at 7:11 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Maybe I'm just having a Duh moment, which wouldn't be unusual, but why would you put your tree on the curb with the lights still on it?

You're bitchin camaro's cousin and you have more lights on there than you want to take off?

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1
On 11/4/2016 at 11:17 PM, friendperidot said:

if it's anything like most of the fake trees I've had over the years, the branches pull out of the center pole and it's easy to remove the lights that way. But then I buy cheap fake trees when I bother to buy them.

But REAL trees don't come apart like that.  And real trees are the only ones they will recycle (with no wires or lights or anything else)  You have to spend a modicum of time taking all the bulbs, wires, and balls and lights off the tree before you can put it in the dumpster.

...fully inflated Santas. You never know what people are going to steal. I just read a crime report from a nearby neighborhood where someone's car had been broken into. The Perp took the good sunglasses & left a crappy pair behind and stole half the Good N Plenty candies from the box.  Whaaa?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, forumfish said:

Back on topic, I wonder if those outdoor star projectors are easy to steal? I'd be concerned about leaving it out all night, and I wouldn't want to venture outside to unplug it and bring it in every night. I got a timer for my Christmas lights so I don't have to go traipsing through the yard at midnight.

I am not down with the decorations so I may be totally wrong, but my impression was some of these things were usually mounted from a higher sort of point, and usually screwed into something, which means while still probably easy to steal, especially in the middle of the night, it's harder to be inconspicuous going up to someone's house and putting the effort it would take to unscrew something, rather than just walk up, pick up, walk away. So, there's at least a small deterrent in the form of effort.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I am not down with the decorations so I may be totally wrong, but my impression was some of these things were usually mounted from a higher sort of point, and usually screwed into something, which means while still probably easy to steal, especially in the middle of the night, it's harder to be inconspicuous going up to someone's house and putting the effort it would take to unscrew something, rather than just walk up, pick up, walk away. So, there's at least a small deterrent in the form of effort.

I saw some at Bed, Bath & Beyond today and they had a spike on them that was designed to go into the ground.

• Love 2

I've seen enough articles about people intentionally shining lasers at pilots - which is highly dangerous and illegal - so I wondered whether the Star Showers might do the same thing. Google says yes:

While there is no warning on the outer packaging, the Star Shower instruction sheet says: “NOTICE: Lasers should not be projected at or within the flight path of an aircraft within 10 nautical miles [11.5 miles] of an airport. If your intended surface is within 10 nautical miles of an airport, lower the angle of the Star Shower so that no lasers point into the sky.”

And of course everyone is going to read the instructions...

• Love 4

Jamoche, I'm so glad to know that. I live next door to a real bytch, she got real pissy about dogs peeing on her stupid inflatable pumpkins - I now hate those things with a frenzy. We live very close to the airport, in the flight plan and she's such a creative home decorator (not) so I wouldn't be surprised to see her use those star shower things. And I will be calling code enforcement on her for a change. She hates my sister, I'm not exactly crazy about her and she's done some very stupid things, but the bytch next door is trying to do anything she can to make my sister move! Ha! That's not going to work, my sister is extremely poor and I'm stubborn. I can say whatever I want about my sister, but just let someone else come after her!

And I did fix it so the dogs couldn't go in her yard, but if it weren't for the stupid street light in front of this house, those stupid pumpkins would have mysteriously developed leaks.

Another edit to make this more on topic. Watching the red copper square pan commercial again, apparently you can deep fry different vegetables and give them to your kids, but will all kids make the orgasm face when they bite into a deep fried green bean?   

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Watching the red copper square pan commercial again, apparently you can deep fry different vegetables and give them to your kids, but will all kids make the orgasm face when they bite into a deep-fried green bean?   

I've been coveting the Red Copper Square Pan. And it has rave reviews at https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/copper-chef-trade-5-piece-deep-9-5-inch-square-pan-set/1046601063

• Love 1

editorgrrl, I've been thinking about wanting that pan too, but it the face on the girl as she bites into a deep fried green bean that gets me. No deep fried green bean is that good. There is nothing that can be done to green beans to make them that good. Now there are desserts that face could work for, but deep fried green beans? Never.

• Love 5

cpcathy, we'll have to agree to disagree. I od'ed on green beans as a child, and there ain't no way in h**l. 

But to my newest obsession with as seen on tv ads. The eyeglasses with adjustable lenses. I really have no opinion about them, maybe they are fine, they don't look as awful as I would have expected. What I enjoy about the ads, is myself, I crack me up. There's a part where the announcer voice says, "the secret's in..." and I always finish with "the sauce, the secret's in the sauce!" And the the announcer voice, "it's like two..." and I say, "two, two mints in one!" I know, I'm old, but I have to get my laughs somewhere.

And for those children that need to get off my lawn, "the secret's in the sauce" is from one of my favorite books and movies, Fried Green Tomatoes and Doublemint gum is "two, two mints in one", very old, old commercials, with twins, lots of twins, girl twins, teen girl twins, women twins, boy twins, teen boy twins, men twins, but always identical twins so no male/female twins.

• Love 5

I saw an ad for a thing called "Baseboard Buddy".  It's supposed to make cleaning the  baseboards easy.  Since I have a hard time getting up from the floor, I wonder if it really works.  Anyone know?  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And for those children that need to get off my lawn, "the secret's in the sauce" is from one of my favorite books and movies, Fried Green Tomatoes and Doublemint gum is "two, two mints in one", very old, old commercials, with twins, lots of twins, girl twins, teen girl twins, women twins, boy twins, teen boy twins, men twins, but always identical twins so no male/female twins.

Actually, "two mints in one" is for Certs.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

I saw an ad for a thing called "Baseboard Buddy".  It's supposed to make cleaning the  baseboards easy.  Since I have a hard time getting up from the floor, I wonder if it really works.  Anyone know?  

I don't know how dirty your baseboards are, but Swiffer dusters have an extender handle option available. I love it. Reach high, reach low.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ennui said:

I don't know how dirty your baseboards are, but Swiffer dusters have an extender handle option available. I love it. Reach high, reach low.

Swiffer is great for reaching cob webs high up on the ceiling and cleaning blinds as well.

• Love 4

Just saw an ad for a learn to speak a language from a computer program. After one woman used the winning program and was speaking in French about passing croissants, the other woman with the losing program was practicing "that octopus is trying to date me", from personal experience, that last one may be the more useful phrase.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Just saw an ad for a learn to speak a language from a computer program. After one woman used the winning program and was speaking in French about passing croissants, the other woman with the losing program was practicing "that octopus is trying to date me", from personal experience, that last one may be the more useful phrase.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

"The black cats are in the trees.. "

• Love 2
18 hours ago, friendperidot said:

The bolded part made me think of Better Off Dead: "He is like an octopus, putting his testicles all over me!" So thanks for making me snort-laugh at work.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

My son wants to get one of those TV Freeway things so he can watch PBS. Can you get PBS on one of those things?

If you are a member of a PBS station and have a smartphone or tablet, you can watch certain PBS shows on that for free. I can watch PBS live on my Verizon Fios app if I'm home on smartphone and tablet. The app doesn't carry broadcast channels outside the home, just cable. I have no idea what TV Freeway is.

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

If you are a member of a PBS station and have a smartphone or tablet, you can watch certain PBS shows on that for free. I can watch PBS live on my Verizon Fios app if I'm home on smartphone and tablet. The app doesn't carry broadcast channels outside the home, just cable. I have no idea what TV Freeway is.

It's a digital device that allows you to watch local and network channels without cable. He has a nice big screen TV, but he doesn't have cable. He does watch streaming on his smart phone and PC, but he was saying he missed stuff like Keeping Up Appearances on tv. i"m just desperate for Christmas gifts :)

I've got a Roku stick and I suppose it works the same way.  The PBS stuff is free, but it's limited.  It's not like broadcasting over the air. You don't get the PBS schedule, say, on Friday at 8.  Some of the shows on a local PBS station are not carried by most PBS, so you can't get those at all.  My local station shows "Death in Paradise" and all I can get of that on Roku is a trailer.

But if you have Amazon Prime, it's great for those Amazon original shows, like Transparent, Bosch and Mozart in the Jungle.  I'm guessing ('cause I'm too broke to pay for it) you can get streaming Netflix & watch House of Cards as soon as it's released, instead of waiting for Netflix to *finally* put it on a DVD.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2016 at 1:14 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I just ordered the Hurricane Spin Brush. I'll let y'all know how good/bad it is.

And ... ? I've been waiting for your review!  :)

I saw the ad this a.m., and they cleaned the toilet, and then the kitchen sink. I cringed. Does it come with extra brush heads? 

For anyone wanted the red copper square pan, I think it's going to be the TSV on QVC tonight. Lots of presentations. QVC usually does some nice extras.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3

I saw an ad for a room heater that is supposed to work like those infrared consoles that are all the rage but it's about the size of a shoe so it can plug right into the wall outlet.  It seems to good to be true but if anybody gets one, I'd love a review.

I'm also waiting for the expandable trellis you can attach to a chain link fence to hit my local job lot.  I'm sure the fake ivy on it is super cheesy but I have just the spot for it.

• Love 1

I think you're always better off buying the item at a brick and mortar store with a ASOTV aisle, rather than buying it off the 800 number on the commercial. The store will always have some kind of a return policy, but the customer service (or lack of) you get dealing with the company directly is iffy at best.

• Love 2

Agreed. The delivery notification said the spin brush was delivered - Fed Ex to the USPO and then to me, and then there's an addendum that it was sent back for having an incorrect address. I don't know who screwed up - did Spin Brush not include my unit # or did the temp contract worker for the USPO just not give a shit & sent it back.  But I plan on cancelling the whole freaking thing if I don't get it this week.

• Love 5