Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

I ordered the Schticky things. While they picked up the cat hair beautifully, rinsing it off in the bathroom sink was difficult, until I started using hot water - rinses off like a dream. And the "schtickiness" goes away, down the drain with the cat hair, and they become useless.  You're better off with one of those peel-away lint rollers with all the layers of sticky. You don't waste a wading-pool's worth of water trying to clean 'em.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I ordered the Schticky things. While they picked up the cat hair beautifully, rinsing it off in the bathroom sink was difficult, until I started using hot water - rinses off like a dream. And the "schtickiness" goes away, down the drain with the cat hair, and they become useless.  You're better off with one of those peel-away lint rollers with all the layers of sticky. You don't waste a wading-pool's worth of water trying to clean 'em.

Not to mention adding hair to the drain.  But then we can try out all the miraculous drain un-cloggers they advertise!

• Love 5

I've got two StarShowers.....I use them in the house.  One in my bedroom and one in living room.  We live far off the road in the woods so nobody driving by could see them.  The BR's red lights died but I love it.  We get up early...5am...hubby has his routine feeding critters and exercise (what is that?) so I have the BR in the morning while it's dark so I turn it on while I do my eBay and net surfing...while watching my darling Charlie Rose (we get the rerun from the night before at 6am).  Hubby's not a fan of the lights so I use them while I can.  Hey, I'm a magpie.  I love anything sparkly!

Thinking about getting the exerciser Lori from Shark Tank is advertising.   Sounds like fun.  Anyone tried it?

...eta...Ok...what are the odds, Doc? <Seinfeld>.  Hit the post button and what comes on my TV?  A commercial for the Starlight.  My StarShower doesn't do any of that stuff and it cost $45-50 last year.  This thing at $19.99 is a hell of a deal.  I'm buying. 

Edited by OhioSongbird
.....timing....
  • Love 3

I picked up the Turbo Snake for pulling hair clogs out of our shower drain.  Use it every few months when I notice the drain slowing.  It works great and I don't feel guilty about pouring chemicals like Drano in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I saw an ad for an electric jar opener (must be batteries), for those lids that are tough to open. I thought it was great for people with manual dexterity issues, and the ad with the muscle-y young man and the older woman laughing and smiling was cute. 

And then I did a search, and Hamilton Beach and Black & Decker have had these devices out for years. I'll bet the cheap ASOTV version sells more.

15 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

Has anyone tried the My Pillow?  I have the devil of a time sleeping and I wonder if this helps

If you go back a page you should see a lot of discussion about that

• Love 3

Bed Bath & Beyond now sell My Pillow. I've poked at the samples they have on display, but the filling is a little too lumpy for me. I do really like my Bamboo pillow, though.

BB&B also has the Atomic Beam or something like it. I'm waiting until I get a $5 Off coupon in the mail before I get that or the Star Shower (which I'll use inside my apartment).

• Love 1
20 hours ago, ABitOFluff said:

BB&B also has the Atomic Beam or something like it. I'm waiting until I get a $5 Off coupon in the mail before I get that or the Star Shower (which I'll use inside my apartment).

You could buy a mirror ball. There's a girl on a motorcycle selling one on Letgo.  

• Love 6

I just saw this thing called DollyDoIt, which allows you to put really heavy stuff in it e.g. cat litter. It has these special wheels so you can roll it over stairs, bumps and any uneven surface. I have arthritis and can't lift heavy things. It looked kind of handy. Does anybody have one?

I got my mom something like that from HSN (this one specifically) and it went up and down with just a small package in it fine. I liked that the liner comes out and it also came with 2 bags, too. Or it didn't need a liner. It still kind of bumps, but I did find it easier than a hand truck. It was mostly for mom to be able to bring up those big water bottle packages. (It was also one of those Today's Special Values, so it was less than what it's listed at.) I recently saw one, and maybe it's the one you're referring to, where the 3 wheels flattened, which is cool. But it works pretty well, was easy to put together and while sturdy, not heavy.

• Love 2

I have this one. I think I'm on my fourth in 20-odd years. Chiefly because I'm a lazy sod at heart, but also because cat litter and pop are heavy items. I like the stair-climbing one you linked, frenchtoast, because my current apartment has 4 concrete steps up into the building. Currently, I'll turn it around and pull it up one step at a time. Those stair-climbing wheely things look like they'd make it easier for me.

Has anyone ever used those Forearm Forklifts? Do they really make it as easy as it looks to lift heavy items?

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

I have had a couple of the flex hoses.  The first one lasted from Memorial Day to the middle of summer, the next one lasted the rest of the summer but failed the first time I used it the next year.  (When I went to return the first hose another lady followed me in to Home Depot to do the same thing.  There were a few others in the return bin.  The kid at the service desk tried to talk us out of replacing them with the same thing.)  The third one lasted all Season but exploded early this spring.  I bought another one this spring that is supposedly heavier/thicker on the inside and so far, so good.  I just use them to water plants on or near my patio so I like not having to mess with the big "regular" hoses.

I bought a can of Flex Seal to repair some plastic flower pots that cracked over the winter.  I cleaned the inside as thoroughly as I could, used painters tape on the outside to pull the cracks closed and then sprayed flex seal on the inside.  It seems to have worked.  I haven't noticed any of the cracks reopening, but will know for sure when I empty the pots in a few weeks.

All of the big box hardware stores sell something called Plasti Dip that is designed for coating handles, grips and such.  It works very well and comes in both a spray and a dip in several colors.

I have asked the cats if they would like that glowing, color-changing race car set.  Hoping they say yes, because it looks like fun.  Although they didn't like the little indoor helicopter I bought them a few years ago, which also looked like fun.  As anyone seen the race car set in person?  Is it noisy?  That would freak the kitties out.

• Love 5

I

I have asked the cats if they would like that glowing, color-changing race car set.  Hoping they say yes, because it looks like fun.  Although they didn't like the little indoor helicopter I bought them a few years ago, which also looked like fun.  As anyone seen the race car set in person?  Is it noisy?  That would freak the kitties out.

I have a pit bull puppy about 8 months old (he was found as a very small puppy in a deserted, locked farm house, we have no idea how old he is), he would probably love those racing sets, but would destroy them in one afternoon after first set up. I think they look fun. My brother had racing sets when we were kids, but they were terrible, nothing like those. I think they would be fun. There are cats here too, one would probably like them, the others, not so much.

Clear Zone mirror things, I've driven nearly 50 years, I was taught to constantly watch all mirrors, keep track of things over shoulders, watch for blind spots. I am currently doing further driving training of a teenager, he knows the basics, but the fine points take time to learn. While I think more extensive side mirrors could be an aide in driving, I am teaching that he needs to watch everywhere and everything all the time. Big time rule, no phones for the driver, ever. Passenger can take and make all calls.

Futzuki, the ads talk about being based on reflexology. Some reviews I read said it's not. What I want to know, does it make your feet feel better and does the better feeling last after you get off the mat. I have heel spurs and plantar facscitis and my feet hurt all the time. 

There are a lot of things advertised that may be good ideas, but I think the ads emphasize the wrong points.

• Love 2

Futzuki, the ads talk about being based on reflexology. Some reviews I read said it's not. What I want to know, does it make your feet feel better and does the better feeling last after you get off the mat. I have heel spurs and plantar facscitis and my feet hurt all the time. 

I haven't seen a Futzuki ad, but that Revitive thing looks soothing.

• Love 1

Question for people who have those Star Shower things: What brands specifically do you have and can you change it from colored to white lights? Also how many square feet does it cover? My DH said I could get one, but there are so many different ones on Amazon and some reviewers are saying they only cover about 30 sq. ft. I really want one that can have Christmas colors some times and white snow at others.

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Also how many square feet does it cover? My DH said I could get one, but there are so many different ones on Amazon and some reviewers are saying they only cover about 30 sq. ft.

Well, if you have neighbors close by, they might not want to be part of your shower. I'm hoping that none of my neighbors succumb to this fad. Don't mind me, I'm feeling Grinchy today.

Came to say -- saw a commercial for a Johnsonville bratwurst cooker. It looks a lot like a George Foreman grill, except it has curved slots for the sausages. I wonder how many of those will find their way under the tree?

Edited by ennui
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ennui said:

Well, if you have neighbors close by, they might not want to be part of your shower. I'm hoping that none of my neighbors succumb to this fad.

Came to say -- saw a commercial for a Johnsonville bratwurst cooker. It looks a lot like a George Foreman grill, except it has curved slots for the sausages. I wonder how many of those will find their way under the tree?

We're on a big lot and we own the house next door, our nearest neighbor.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ennui said:

Oh, you just gave me the perfect grab bag offering for the family party! Now all I need to do is convince my husband NOT to grab it, lest it share space in the cabinet with the doughnut press and the Perfect Pancake.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, St. Claire said:

Oh, you just gave me the perfect grab bag offering for the family party! Now all I need to do is convince my husband NOT to grab it, lest it share space in the cabinet with the doughnut press and the Perfect Pancake.

Like the waffle maker I got four years ago and have yet to use.  :)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, St. Claire said:

OMG, it's expensive!!  https://www.sizzlingsausagegrill.com/

The star shower thingie is the stop value on HSN today, for any home tv shoppers.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I got a meat grinder at Cabela's and I did use it when I could afford to buy chuck roasts just to make ground beef, now not so much, so it was just sitting around gathering dust. I gave it to my son and now it gathers dust at his house.

• Love 3

Besides clueing me in to the best and simplest cheese soufflé recipe ever, I'm eternally grateful to Alton Brown for alerting me to the evils of dust-gathering kitchen unitaskers. Oh so many look oh so tempting in the commercials, though.

Now if only I knew how to keep people from giving me their used-once bread makers and electric grills I'd have room for more stuff I'd actually use.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

One year instead of a Christmas bonus the boss gave everyone waffle makers.  I use it once a year on New Years Day.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I have a Foreman grill - actually, I'm on my second one - and I use it regularly.

I love my George Foreman (I got a small one in the aforementioned family Christmas gift bag), but that sausage cooker is out of my price range. I use it for meats, sandwiches (poor man's panini press!), quesadillas...I will say that it was worth so much more to me than a bunch of single-use pieces.

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 4
On 9/1/2016 at 9:38 AM, Maverick said:

Has anyone tried MyPillow?  

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/full-fluff-mypillow-ordered-pay-1m-bogus-ads-n677571

It may be the "most comfortable pillow you'll ever own," but MyPillow can't help with snoring, fibromyalgia, migraines or any other medical conditions.

The company behind the legendary infomercial got a wake-up call this week when it was fined $1 million for deceptive advertising practices, charges brought by prosecutors in nine California counties.  Ads for MyPillow are everywhere: The company spends $1.4 million a week on advertising, and more than 18 million pillows have been sold since the company was started 10 years ago, according to a story in the Boston Herald.

But the Minnesota-based company can no longer claim its products can cure, prevent or treat any diseases — without reliable scientific proof. It will pay civil penalties of $995,000 and donate $100,000 to shelters for the homeless and domestic violence victims.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

"But MyPillow can't help with snoring, fibromyalgia, migraines or any other medical conditions.

I don't remember seeing any more of these claims in the commercials I've seen.  They must have been somewhere, though, if not in my neck of the woods (Mpls).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ennui said:

I don't recall ever hearing those claims from My Pillow, either. I hope they aren't being fined and held liable for something a customer said.

That's exactly what the article said. They were dinged for posting customer testimonials on the web site that said the pillow had helped them with this or that medical condition. Doesn't seem right to me. They were also dinged for calling themselves the official pillow of the National Sleep Foundation because they have donated to the organization and it was implied they'd "bought" the endorsement.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, riley702 said:

That's exactly what the article said. They were dinged for posting customer testimonials on the web site that said the pillow had helped them with this or that medical condition. Doesn't seem right to me. They were also dinged for calling themselves the official pillow of the National Sleep Foundation because they have donated to the organization and it was implied they'd "bought" the endorsement.

If they hand-selected the testimonials then they're liable for the contents; they could just have easily picked just the ones that had non-disprovable statements - the "I felt so much better" sort. It's only if you have open comment sections that you can argue that you aren't responsible for what they say.