Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Truth and Dignity

Barry's tough policies put Daliyah in grave danger. Al-Qadi enacts a risky plan to broach peace. Fauzi puts his feelings on the line, leaving Daliyah conflicted. As the elections reel out of control, Barry cracks down on the political process. Leila's relationship with Cogswell creates a wedge between her and her sister. 

Too much relationship angst... Not enough of Leila's testimony before the commission. What was she supposed to talk about anyway?

Note to Fauzi.. that was a lame-ass proposal. Channeling Victor Lazlo is no way to a girl's heart. (but then Barry's not Rick either despite this little Casablanca triangle they're determined to set up)

Finally someone tried to talk some sense into Sammy

I wonder if Miss Psych student realizes that by supporting the Caliphate, she's supporting people who wouldn't have allowed her to get that education? Makes no sense.

• Love 4

Bassam, Leila, Dalia, Sammy just can't control themselves, even if it hurts loved ones or their interests.

It's a good thing there's no commission to confess bad personal decisions.  

Why would Ihab attack the Truth and Dignity commission, which is to show all the wrongs under Jamal's regime?

• Love 2

It's not really very clear why Sammy gets dumped, other than prof is furious at getting outed to a man who won't publicize it because his son is the source. 

But plainly the producers were very eager to call Sammy stupid. 

The show's problem with the underlying political conflicts is not just the reluctance to have characters waste time having political interests (or worse, political dialogue.) It's that this season the strife is ASS (American Soldiers, Stupid!) I forgot who suggested Abuddin suddenly morphed from Syria into Iraq but that seems to be the case. 

I found myself wondering if this show was too stupid to live, then I remembered Homeland.

I don't know if I'm supposed to be intrigued that the writers have flipped the script with Sammy's never-ending quest for love, seeing as how it is quite subversive to use a young gay man as that character instead of a young woman (who is typically used in this role), or if I'm just supposed to stay annoyed with all of the dumb things he's doing. 

The American soldier is setting Leila up. 

I think the only character I like at the moment is Fauzi...and still maybe Leila. 

I would like to see Ihab turn on the Caliphate's leader before the end of the series. I don't like how blood-thirsty he's become because that was never his original character. It's the Caliphate leader who is ruthless and cold and bloodies other people's hands for him. 

Ihab's new love interest just made me sad. It reminded me of the countless young women who rushed to fight for *insert the U.S.' main attack target here* and were turned into wives and broodmares. Many by rape. 

• Love 2

Is it just me, or did Barry seem to show more emotion at the possibility of Daliyah having been harmed than he did at actually seeing his daughter murdered before his eyes? He actually vowed revenge against those who would have harmed his precious Daliyah, but has been walking around like a frozen robot over Emma. 

I guess Barry and Daliyah are supposed to be the Grand Love Story of this show, but all I can see is a man betraying his marriage. I guess I'll get on board eventually.

And, by the way, Sammy really is an entitled idiot who still doesn't seem to understand the society he's living in.

• Love 4

Sammy is so dumb. He had no idea why the Prof was there and blurted it all out assuming it was about him. 

Barry did seem more frazzled at Dayliyah being in the blast than the hostage taking of his kid. I like Dayliyah so glad she didn't add to the death toll of this season. 

I could forgive Sammy his shenanigans if : a) he were younger, perhaps high school age, b) he was not aware of what befalls gay men in the culture of the country he is in, c) he were poor, and therefore forced to stay put, and/or d) his sister had not just been kidnapped and executed! His entitlement and hubris are going to get himself and others killed or worse, and it's so unnecessary. He's wealthy enough to return to America, or go just about anywhere where the great gay problems are whether the Government will recognize your marriage, and not whether you will be thrown from roof because of your sexuality.

Of course, it seems that Sammy comes by the cluelessness honestly, because Barry is putting his new squeeze in a tough position as well, just not quite as bad. I hope Molly's recovering well. She made a smart move.

• Love 3

That line about "lack of shame is seductive" was compelling, but a brash young American lover is probably not your best choice when you're on the strict Islamic down-low.  Even so, I have to give Sammy and the professor credit for AT LEAST making it all the way inside before falling into a clinch--Daliyah opened her front door and stupid "Barry" rushed straight into her arms; Leila and Big, tsk tsk. 

Okay, so I opened with the soapy elements, but I'm really enjoying the political portion this season, in spite of the fact that Bassam's hair trigger is more and more ridiculous.  (Right up there with his hair gel.)  I still don't understand where they found the nerve to write Leila's candidacy with straight faces--not "only" a woman, but the wife of the reviled despot they're all trying to get past and not some unknown, unheard spouse lurking in the shadows all those years either.  I'd say first every man in Abbudin, then two-thirds of the women, would likely get votes before Leila Al-Fayeed.

I would have been happy to go a few more paces with the secular and the conservative religious candidates responding to the extremism, but of course Bassam had to leap in, not let anyone finish a sentence, and spoil that interesting competition.  I expected the poison bait planted by Ihab's mentor (name?) to be slower and more insidious, involving the wife and her brother.

I was shocked by Ihab and the psych student.  Somehow I have the idea that there isn't a lot of private flirty slipping off of the hajib going on in the corners where those two are.  If they "forget" and cuddle in an open doorway, she gets stoned to death.

Edited by candall

After 2 seasons of anticipating every episode, I am just not engaged here.  The "relationship angst" (thank you, slothgirl) is overwhelming the story.

Sorry, I miss Jamal.  He was a champion at mixing it up !!!

It's almost comical now, how badly Barry is bungling everything.  No way is he not going to get push back after he band Al-Qadi and his party from running, and he has to know that his guy Fauzi, will probably take the brunt of it.  Then again, Leila just foolishly let herself get photographed making out with Cogswell, so I really don't know how this election will play out.  Really wouldn't be surprised if it just falls apart, and Barry remains president, because they really do seem to be heading down the "he's the true tyrant" path.

Fauzi's proposal to Daliyah was hilariously bad.  Basically "Hey, your'e a widow and I'm lonely.  Sooo....?"  He should have just double-downed and been like "Look, every Abuddin president has to have a hot first lady and it's hard to top Leila, but you have the best shot at it, so please?!!!" Of course, it doesn't matter since she's head over heels for Barry, which is slowly making me like the character less and less each episode.

Dammit, Sammy!  You are so going to get your boyfriend (ex, now?) killed one of these days.  I really can't believe that he still doesn't understand how dangerous it is to be gay in Abuddin.

Barry really did seem more upset over Dailyah almost dying, then Emma actually dying.

Ahmed picking Barry over Leila was a decent twist.

Annet Mahendru got more to do!  Still not sure what her character is going to actually end up bringing to the big table, but I'll take it for now!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

It's almost comical now, how badly Barry is bungling everything.  No way is he not going to get push back after he band Al-Qadi and his party from running, and he has to know that his guy Fauzi, will probably take the brunt of it.  Then again, Leila just foolishly let herself get photographed making out with Cogswell, so I really don't know how this election will play out.  Really wouldn't be surprised if it just falls apart, and Barry remains president, because they really do seem to be heading down the "he's the true tyrant" path.

Fauzi's proposal to Daliyah was hilariously bad.  Basically "Hey, your'e a widow and I'm lonely.  Sooo....?"  He should have just double-downed and been like "Look, every Abuddin president has to have a hot first lady and it's hard to top Leila, but you have the best shot at it, so please?!!!" Of course, it doesn't matter since she's head over heels for Barry, which is slowly making me like the character less and less each episode.

Dammit, Sammy!  You are so going to get your boyfriend (ex, now?) killed one of these days.  I really can't believe that he still doesn't understand how dangerous it is to be gay in Abuddin.

Barry really did seem more upset over Dailyah almost dying, then Emma actually dying.

Ahmed picking Barry over Leila was a decent twist.

Annet Mahendru got more to do!  Still not sure what her character is going to actually end up bringing to the big table, but I'll take it for now!

I'm thinking (and I don't read anything, so this isn't a spoiler.. just my own musings) that he will simply call off the election at some point because of something. Pick a reason. True Tyrants don't need one anyway, right?

Sammy got involved in the war and funding it from his trust because some friends got tossed off a building right? So for him to be so mindbogglingly stupid about the risk he is taking with his own and other people's lives is a ludicrous choice of character "development". Even if he got complacent by having his father heralded as the hero savior of Abbudin (and those cozy little family breakfasts) the murder of his sister should have woken him up. I guess they needed him to go down this path for some plot twist, but it's such lazy ass writing, I can't buy it. They could have at least showed him either trying to maintain a low profile and failing, or being arrogantly open thinking he is royalty. Instead, he's just a dimwit.

Speaking of dimwit... Leila of all people should know to go IN THE HOUSE and SHUT THE DOOR before making out. Another case of extremely bad writing to provide a basis for whatever they have planned. So totally out of character... even out of the "I don't care, I'm in love and am going to LIVE" character twist they've given her. Because Leila is a strategic planner. She thinks things out. She's not just smart... she's shrewd. She's the only one in the family with any common sense (which is probably because she has no actual Al Fayeed blood)

Fauzi is not suited to be president. Aside from not really having his heart in it, he's totally unprepared for being in command. He can't even manage a simple proposal to a woman he "thinks he is falling in love with" without going all wishy-washy. He's WAY out of his depth.

• Love 1
On 8/11/2016 at 0:53 AM, scrb said:

Why would Ihab attack the Truth and Dignity commission, which is to show all the wrongs under Jamal's regime?

I didn't get this either. Unless it is just to promote fear and terror, or prompt a reprisal from Barry so they can go, 'see, he's a monster like his brother.' Which I find questionable strategically. I find I say that a lot on this show. 

Could the show survive if Barry got assassinated? I'm ok with it.