Type keyword(s) to search

Bad Moms (2016)

slowpoked
  • Start Topic

(edited)

When three overworked and under-appreciated moms are pushed beyond their limits, they ditch their conventional responsibilities for a jolt of long overdue freedom, fun, and comedic self-indulgence.

Bad Moms Trailer

Saw this movie last night and LOVED it! I haven't laughed like that in a long while. Of course, being a mom, I get the jokes, but it's a funny movie nonetheless.

Mila Kunis is a more than capable lead, and she finally gets a movie where she isn't relegated to being The Girlfriend. But Kathryn Hahn is the movie's MVP, and got the best lines. It's nice to see Kristen Bell in this kind of movie too, even though she plays the straight character. But the writers gave her a fair share of raunchy humor to work with. Applegate as the villain is hilarious, but I wish Jada Pinkett Smith got to do more.

It will inevitably get compared to Bridesmaids, as the other R-rated, raunchy female group comedy. And while I immensely love Bridesmaids and think it's better written than Bad Moms, I think I enjoyed Bad Moms more because I relate to it more. Yes, some of the jokes may be over-the-top, but it's not out of reality that there's one mom out there who hasn't already thought of it.

And I'm glad to see another wacky female ensemble that doesn't include Melissa McCarthy. Not that I don't like MM, it just feels like she's in every female-led comedy out there and Hollywood's acting like there's no one else. These women who are not really known for lowbrow humor get the chance to shine in this movie and they delivered.

Oh, and the end credits may just be the sweetest thing you'll see in a movie this year. After all the laughter from the movie, it made me tear up. :)

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 3

I really like it, too. I really want to reenact the scene in the grocery store, but none of my friends are bad moms, or any kind of moms, I realize. 

Katherine Hahn was great, and this movie had the right balance of sentimentality and raunchy hilarity to make her lines stand out even more. 

• Love 2

Really liked this movie, lots of laugh out loud moments. Katherine Hahn was definitely my favorite by far, she was the best part of the movie. 

The message was really great, and I could relate to a lot of the stuff (being a mom of three). I went with a good friend and fellow mom and we were both in agreement that we really need to have a raging drunken party one of these days, that montage was just hilarious. 

I did have to roll my eyes at a lot of cliche things in the movie though.....the hot widower, bouncing back from a failed relationship immediately, double the salary (riggggghhttt....). Those moments kind of took me out of the fun for a bit, I think the movie was the most successful when it was just about the moms dealing with mom things. 

The credit scenes with all the real moms was incredibly touching, really loved that they included that. I started the movie laughing my butt off and left trying not to bawl my eyes out. 

• Love 4

Before I talk about the movie, let's discuss Jada Pinkett's real life mother. Not only does Jada look amazing, but her mother looks like her younger sister. I was like "everyone else has their mom with them, why did Jada have her sister come out here?" Wow, black don't crack. Willow has some great aging to look forward to.

On the actual movie, I didn't love Mila as the main character because her kids seemed too old. They could have made them 9 and 7 instead. She never felt like their mom to me, and definitely not like David Walton's kids. I'm happy the dog's vertigo didn't last long because it was stressing me out. But I loved Kathryn Hahn and Kristen Bell, they are always great. I appreciated the minimal doses of Annie Mumuolo because she isn't my favorite. But Jada and Christina should have been equal mean girls instead of the one villain. I give it a 3 out of 5. Nothing with Kristen Bell could ever suck, and this passed that bar.

• Love 2
On 8/1/2016 at 3:25 PM, BoogieBurns said:

Before I talk about the movie, let's discuss Jada Pinkett's real life mother. Not only does Jada look amazing, but her mother looks like her younger sister. I was like "everyone else has their mom with them, why did Jada have her sister come out here?" Wow, black don't crack. Willow has some great aging to look forward to.

On the actual movie, I didn't love Mila as the main character because her kids seemed too old. They could have made them 9 and 7 instead. She never felt like their mom to me, and definitely not like David Walton's kids. I'm happy the dog's vertigo didn't last long because it was stressing me out. But I loved Kathryn Hahn and Kristen Bell, they are always great. I appreciated the minimal doses of Annie Mumuolo because she isn't my favorite. But Jada and Christina should have been equal mean girls instead of the one villain. I give it a 3 out of 5. Nothing with Kristen Bell could ever suck, and this passed that bar.

I loved this movie--and I went to the theater with very low expectations. Yes, the end credits the "real moms" was one of my favorite parts of the movie.  All of the actresses looked like their moms. And yes, Jada's mom does look like her slightly older sister. Even with Jada's horrible plastic surgery. I really her, but her face looks scary these days. The severe eyes, the high, pointed cheeks, etc. I don't get it. Looking at her mom, she could see her genetics. Why did she think she needed a face lift in her early 40s?

The movie did mention that Amy had her daughter at 20, and now she's 32 (Mila Kunis really was 32 during filming, BTW). But yes, her kids seemed quite old, probably because Mila seems younger than 32. Maybe thise were the best young actors available, and they happened to be older than what the director originally wanted. 

I laughed out loud at some of the scenes that were, sadly, too familiar. Like Amy showing up late to pick up her kids, yelling, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Yes, I've been there. 

My one criticism is that the music was really loud. I understand that the audience needed to hear the songs in certain scenes, like the party scene or the scene with the family singing in the car. But it seems like every scene featured a recent pop hit played loudly! There were times that the songs should have been background music only. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

They explained that Mila's character was a young mom, it just didn't ever work for me. She doesn't read as 32, or a mom. Even though she is both (in the movie and real life).

You're right. Mila works as the mom of an infant--or a toddler--but not a 12-year old. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I loved the scene with the 3 moms ragging on Amy before they went out for Ladies' Night. First her dresses, then her bra. Hilarious! (I made myself overlook the fact that Kristen Bell's character must have gone home to change then came back to Amy's house so they could all leave together? Weird). 

• Love 3

I'm not a mom myself yet, but I really enjoyed the movie.  Didn't have any intentions of seeing it, but went with a friend (who is a mom) and really surprised myself with how much I loved it.  Loved Kathryn Hahn.  I hadn't really heard of her before, but she was amazing in this.

• Love 2

Taken from my post in the casting thread...

Not that she did a bad job, but Mila just wasn't believable for the life she was supposed to have led. From what I sussed out, this was the character backstory: She met David Walton's character when she was in college. He was a few years older, and was playing in some ska band. (The typical trust fund kid who's parents kind of let him wander around while supporting his artistic endeavors, who then decides to spend his time being a bar band in some college town.) She gets pregnant at 20, then he decides to marry her while she becomes a stay-at-home Mom. Mommy and Daddy then pull the strings to get their son a decent sales job. When the kids reach school-age, Amy decides to go back onto the job market, but then realizes that the best she can do is work as a glorified secretary to a wunderkind "running" a vanity coffee business. (I'm guessing another trust fund kid who was given money by his own Mommy and Daddy to start a business.)

If she had led that life, she would have been much more battle-worn, I think. Her mannerisms and the way she carried herself, as well as the way she acted around her kids, just didn't read that way. Her vibe was more along the lines of a young aunt raising her niece and nephew after a tragic accident takes their parents, especially during the scene where she's hung-over and refusing to make breakfast for her kids.

• Love 3

From what I read, Leslie Mann was supposed to be the lead star when Apatow was still attached to the project, so that might be the explanation of having older kids in the script. It looks like when Mila was cast, they just changed her storyline but not the kids' ages.

• Love 1

Leslie Mann certainly would've been more frazzled and silly. But I like Mila Kunis's performance. She just didn't look as harried or tired as she said she was. Her clothing and make up were too perfect--even when she spilled coffee and spaghetti on herself, she still looked good in her pant suit. 

• Love 1
On 9/1/2016 at 2:55 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Apatow has to be pissed he passed on this given that it's a bonafide hit.

Although Leslie Mann does this kind of part way, way too much. I'm glad she didn't play this one.

On 9/2/2016 at 2:17 PM, ClareWalks said:

Apatow would have ruined it. He tends to make a funny scene so long that you just stop chuckling and start checking your watch.

I agree. As much as I loved some of his movies, his movies do tend to go on forever, and it drags just before the nicely wrapped bow-tie finish. Paul Feig has the same issue too. 

Bad Moms is now officially the sleeper hit of the summer. Crossed $100M over the Labor Day Weekend. Congrats to the ladies!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Who didn't see this coming?

No Bad Moms sequel, but a spinoff... Bad Dads

I've sat through all kinds of conversations about the way certain female characters are treated in certain movies, about male vs. female-centric  movies and I've been able to understand the opposing views without getting too frustrated and with the ability to admit that the people opposing me made good points, but this irritates the hell out of me.  I can't even really explain why right now.  If I figure it out, I'll get back to you.

BTW:  I just noticed I never commented on the movie itself.  It's not my kind of movie at all, but I decided to try it based on a couple of things that made me laugh in the trailers and I loved it.  I could relate to so much of it.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

A "Bad Dads" rubs me the wrong way, too. The prevalence of competitive guilt in the mommy culture is so awful that women NEED this kind of escapist, "it's okay to feel this way" entertainment. Dads have none of that. This sequel seems unnecessary and like it will not succeed at the box office because men don't need to be validated this way. (I say this as the mom of a toddler who occasionally needs to be reminded that it's okay to hate this bullshit now and then)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

A "Bad Dads" rubs me the wrong way, too. The prevalence of competitive guilt in the mommy culture is so awful that women NEED this kind of escapist, "it's okay to feel this way" entertainment. Dads have none of that. This sequel seems unnecessary and like it will not succeed at the box office because men don't need to be validated this way. (I say this as the mom of a toddler who occasionally needs to be reminded that it's okay to hate this bullshit now and then)

Yes!  For centuries mothers have heard things like "You're such a good dad" for things as simple as taking the kids out to lunch while mom was busy or "Oh, you're babysitting tonight!", plus there are a bunch of movies portraying dads as buffoons.  This was a great way to escape into something that says not only is it ok to feel that way sometimes, but that we all feel that way sometimes and we all screw up sometimes.  Dad's don't need it as much. 

Confession:  When Kristen Bell's character started her fantasy with "A car accident--not one that would kill anyone, but......"  I roared with laughter because mine has been for years "Illness--not one what can kill you, but...." and everything following was pretty much exactly the same.  :)

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 9
On 10/10/2016 at 0:33 PM, Shannon L. said:

I've sat through all kinds of conversations about the way certain female characters are treated in certain movies, about male vs. female-centric  movies and I've been able to understand the opposing views without getting too frustrated and with the ability to admit that the people opposing me made good points, but this irritates the hell out of me.  I can't even really explain why right now.  If I figure it out, I'll get back to you.

Besides, haven't Adam Sandler and his buddies already made this movie? I think it was called Grown-Ups and Grown-ups 2.

• Love 4

Yes, this is what Bridesmaids should have been. Women who actually bonded over their debauchery and became genuine friends? Real moms at the end?  YES. I'm not a mom, and I was highly entertained.  I never thought I'd like Kristen Bell in anything, but she won me over in this one.  Kathryn Hahn was fantastic.  I agree with others on Mila Kunis - she didn't pull off the frazzled mom thing, but she was likeable enough.  So grateful that Apatow passed on this. 

I was disappointed with the news of a Bad Dads spinoff, but I haven't heard anything about a sequel until now. This is certainly a welcome news! Hopefully it lives up to the first movie:

• Love 3

I saw this a while ago and for some reason didn't post.

Loved this movie as a Mom! I'm a bad mom sometimes. As y'all have said, thks affirms those feelings and makes you laugh while doing it. 

I'm glad they did explain Mila as a young mom because I was like, these kids are too old. I think she played harried and frazzled well enough to be believable. As a young looking mom who doesn't look like frazzled (so I've been told) I brought Mila as this character.

I wasn't sure how they would make a sequel. I'm looking forward to this with some trepidation. I hope it's as good.

Saw the sequel! It was not nearly as funny as the first. Amy's and Kiki's moms are batshit in an entertaining way, and I loved Carla's mom too. But our three protagonistas just didn't have enough to do, and it wasn't well written.

It also did the thing lots of movies and shows do with Amy's mom where she's legitimately awful to and about Amy the whole movie (inviting a few hundred people over to Amy's house for a Christmas party without telling Amy, giving Amy's kids several expensive presents without checking with her first, insulting her cooking and decorations, calling Amy a bad mother for getting divorced, scoffing when Amy tells her that she plans to do a low key and relaxed Christmas at the request of her children, bringing in people to tear down and replace Amy's decorations because she deems them unworthy to name just a few) but, when Amy reaches her breaking point and kicks her out, her kids tell her she's awful (conveniently forgetting that they weren't wild about a lot of what Grandma was doing themselves because they want all the presents she brings) and her father makes her feel guilty because her mother supposedly suffers from deep insecurity.  Then, of course, Amy seeks out her mom and apologizes even though she did nothing wrong!  And her mom only apologizes in response when Kiki's and Carla's moms force her to.  It was not a good look.

The movie did make me laugh out loud quite a bit and I'll buy it when it comes out on dvd but I prefer the first one. 

• Love 3
On 11/13/2017 at 1:24 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I might buy it for Justin Hartley's nude scene when it hits the $5 bin at Wal-Mart.

He doesn't show the full monty, though. Or even his ass. There is a running joke about how hugely endowed he is, but they obviously stuffed his red bikini briefs with a fake dong. He is shirtless though a sufficient amount of times. And we get a close-up of his sparse leg hair, which made me realize he actually is a natural blond. I've always thought he dyed his hair but it looks like his hair is a natural dark blond.

It wasn't as fun as the first, but I did like getting to know how the 3 were shaped by their moms. It looks like Amy's mother was a neglected Baby Boomer from a rich family, who decided to drive head first into motherhood in the 1980's, when the Mommy Wars where just beginning.  Amy had a childhood where her mother went to embarrassing lengths to show off (which fits into the 1980's excess vibe that her mom has) and it just got a bit too much. Especially since it looks like Amy is an only child (all 3 seem to be) so all that focus and energy got focused on her.

It was nice to see Christina Applegate again, although I wonder what happened to her toadies. I did like that they kept her to a cameo, because it would have been extremely unrealistic for her to have become part of Core 3 group.

Peter Gallagher...man, my favorite fake Dad.

I thought something seemed "different" about the environment of the suburb, and it looks like I was right- the first film was filmed in New Orleans, while the second film was filmed in Atlanta. (It does look like they probably filmed the exterior house sequences at the same house from the first film, but it's also totally possible that they managed to find a house that looked the same.) I also don't remember the first film being expressly set in Chicago, but it looks like it was.

I googled it and found an article where Mila Kunis tried to made sure Atlanta would pass for Chicago at Christmas. Pretty cool.