Type keyword(s) to search

Everwood - General Discussion

mstaken
  • Start Topic

This show is a little too emotionally heavy for me to rewatch with much frequency, but every time I revisit an episode I'm happily surprised all over again by just how much I love this show and most of its characters. The Harold-Andy, Harold-Bright (can you tell I'm a Harold fan?!), Ephram-Bright and Andy-Emphram relationships remain among my favorite familial relationships and friendships ever depicted on TV. I was also struck recently by how vastly I prefer Season 1 to any of the seasons that followed! 

The Harold-Andy, Harold-Bright (can you tell I'm a Harold fan?!), Ephram-Bright and Andy-Emphram relationships remain among my favorite familial relationships and friendships ever depicted on TV. I was also struck recently by how vastly I prefer Season 1 to any of the seasons that followed!

One of my favorite relationships on the show was actually the Ephram-Delia relationship early on. The best example I can think of is S1 when Ephram went out of his way to make Thanksgiving like their mother did. Or when Delia was down Ephram would try to cheer her up.

Harold was a great character. Tom Amandes did a great job portraying him as both comedic subplot and serious main plot when the story dictated it. Same goes with Treat Williams. The best was whenever the show put the two of them together. I still can't believe they chose ANOTHER season of 7th Heaven (after giving that show a series finale) instead of Everwood. Then again from what the writers were saying, the next season of Everwood did sound bad.

• Love 2

Ooh, I never heard what the next season would have been about. Wanna give me a quick summary?

Can't find the interviews, but here's a summary someone made:

1. Madison returning to Everwood

2. More of a focus on Delia

3. The wedding of Andy and Nina

4. The coupling of Ephram and Hannah

5. Jake no longer being on the show

6. Andy's dad visiting again

7. Nina pregnant with Jake's child

• Love 1

I can very honestly say that I've never been as relieved that the show didn't get a fifth season as I am at this very moment!

We should have a rewatch.

I was planning to rewatch over the summer anyway, so I'd love the snarky, insightful company! 

• Love 1

I know I'm in the minority but I actually liked the relationship between Madison and Ephram. I agree that the age difference thing was sketchy, but not unrealistic. I also always thought that it would have made for great TV to see Ephram dealing with being a father (cuz I'm fairly certain the writers were going in the direction of having Madison reverse her adoption decision and return to Everwood with Ephram 2.0) and dealing with his OTP with Amy. 

I also would have loved to see Andy and Nina get together. I really liked the calm, relaxed chemistry that she had with Andy and Brown children.

I also always thought that it would have made for great TV to see Ephram dealing with being a father (cuz I'm fairly certain the writers were going in the direction of having Madison reverse her adoption decision and return to Everwood with Ephram 2.0) and dealing with his OTP with Amy.

It would have been great TV if they were going with what you wrote. However, if they were renewed, we wouldn't have had the ferris wheel ending. Instead, Ephram and Amy would have missed each other and Ephram would have run into Madison.  Plus, they were going to put Ephram and Hannah get together.  At some point, having Ephram and Amy together and being OTP would have been ludicrous.

Edited by maculae

I wouldn't have worried too much about them putting Ephram with Hannah, Amy or anyone really at that point since he was only supposed to be about 16/17 years old. It's reasonable that he would go through several relationships at that age that would help him figure out what he really wanted in his twu wuv. I personally never thought Amy was anywhere near Ephram in maturity, mentally or emotionally on the show. That may have changed with time but it would have been good to see Ephram experience different types of relationships and juggle fatherhood when he had such a distaste for how his own father raised him.

I wouldn't have worried too much about them putting Ephram with Hannah, Amy or anyone really at that point since he was only supposed to be about 16/17 years old.

Are we talking about Ephram from season 2 or the end of the series? Because Ephram is 19/20 by the end of the show I think.

I personally never thought Amy was anywhere near Ephram in maturity, mentally or emotionally on the show.

I think they both had their high points and low points. 

Can't find the interviews, but here's a summary someone made:

2. More of a focus on Delia

3. The wedding of Andy and Nina

5. Jake no longer being on the show

6. Andy's dad visiting again

I just want you to know that I became more and more horrified with each of those bullet points. Now I am SO thankful we never got to that season. Good Lord.

• Love 1
Are we talking about Ephram from season 2 or the end of the series? Because Ephram is 19/20 by the end of the show I think.

A bit of both. Even with Ephram at 19/20, he would still be young enough to experience a few more relationships before he committed to someone. 

I think they both had their high points and low points.

Agreed, good writing allows for all characters to be good and bad. I guess I just never saw the 'fit' with the two of them, on a romantic level anyways. Their vibe always came off more friendly to me. 

I just want you to know that I became more and more horrified with each of those bullet points. Now I am SO thankful we never got to that season

I dunno; I personally would have loved to see more emphasis on Delia. She was kind of the token second child in many ways on this show, though I know a lot of that was due to how young she was when the show started. But all the same, it would have been nice to see more of who she was becoming.

This is I show I watched, but not religiously but would love to rewatch now in syndication. Is it on anywhere?  Now that Chris Pratt is a big movie star, you would thinks some third tier cable channel would bring it back.  Two hour block- Everwoord and The OC- where Chris Pratt started and played tertiary characters.  That ad campaign worked for SoapNet (R.I.P.)  with Melissa McCarthy and Gilmore Girls. 

(edited)

For anyone interested, here's the alternate finale they filmed.

What a sickening finale. Suddenly I am so glad this show was cancelled right when it was. I loathed Madison (IMO giving up a baby without notifying the father of its existence is absolutely vile, and her selfishness in giving Ephram those news an hour before his Julliard audition was just astounding) and couldn't have tolerated Ephram & Madison: The Sequel. Not to mention that alternate finale ends on such a weird note of three women waiting for Ephram - he's not that much of a catch. It rang a little unrealistic (then again, there's a freaking ferris wheel in the picture, so maybe realism already went out the window).

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 2

As much as I adored Everwood and was sad when it was cancelled, if that was the plan I'm with you guys...better to end it than to bring back Madison.  She was a horrible person.  

I've been rewatching my first season DVDs while painting my house (it makes excellent background entertainment) and I'm getting close to the end of the season.  I've been contemplating buying other seasons on DVD but I'm really not sure I want to buy Season 2 because I'd rather not relive the Madison year.  Forget anything else that happened that season, she ruins all.  Maybe I'll just go straight to Season 3.  

(edited)

I found some old DVDs I recorded during the syndication run on ABC Family. I forgot about Laynie telling Amy Patch prescribed her Zolaft. Does anyone remember how the Hart family leaves the show? I forget do they show up later? I tried googling and did not find anything it's been bugging me since I usually remember these details. All I remember is when Amy was at the party with Tommy she did drank some kind of drug and it made her hallucinate Colin.

Edited by choclatechip45

Does anyone remember how the Hart family leaves the show?

If I remember correctly, Mr. Hart was revealed to be an alcoholic who had slipped back into it after Colin died. Laynie went back to boarding school because she didn't want to be around that, and Andy got him into a medical trial to help treat his disease. Mr. Hart said he didn't want to stop drinking, and when Andy went to Mrs. Hart, she was basically like, thanks, but this is our life now. And they were gone after that.

I remember being livid that Everwood was canceled for 7th Heaven but having seen the alternate ending, I'm more than OK with everything. Thankful, even. And happy that they got the opportunity to shoot two endings. Madison coming back would have been a big mess... other than being a roadblock for Amy/Ephram, what was the purpose for her return? Would they have gotten together, would she have helped him meet their son? Blegh, no, I'm glad that didn't happen.

I've been entertaining the idea of watching the DVDs again but the whole Madison thing, followed by the Amanda thing... yeah, I'm not up for it right now. LOL.

• Love 1
(edited)

If I remember correctly, Mr. Hart was revealed to be an alcoholic who had slipped back into it after Colin died. Laynie went back to boarding school because she didn't want to be around that, and Andy got him into a medical trial to help treat his disease. Mr. Hart said he didn't want to stop drinking, and when Andy went to Mrs. Hart, she was basically like, thanks, but this is our life now. And they were gone after that.

Thanks I thought that was what happened, but for some reason I thought I was either making it up in my head or confusing it with another show. I always thought it was strange that Patch & Rose were not all that close with the Harts, I wonder if it would have been different if Bright was not involved with the accident. I know it sounds silly, since the second half of season 1 Colin brought everyone together, but after it being years since seeing season 1 I completely forgot about that.

If we had season 5 we would of been dealing with Ephram and four different girls  I learned to love Ephram after all these years, but no way would four different girls be wanting his affections and Hannah winning out. I did actually like his fling with Stephanie it was nice to see him with a girl without all the angst Amy and Madison brought.

I think it's great Emily, Chris, Gregory and Sarah have all done pretty well for themselves since the series ended.

Edited by choclatechip45

I'm not far enough into my rewatch yet to say for sure, but I'm almost positive there's one more scene where Amy runs into Mrs. Hart looking like hell, and it makes Amy realize that it's time for her to drop her antidepressents.  But other than that, yeah, they just disappear.

I always thought it was strange that Patch & Rose were not all that close with the Harts, I wonder if it would have been different if Bright was not involved with the accident.

I definitely think that if they ever were even close, the accident would have changed things -- especially once they found out that Bright was responsible.  Mr. Hart was definitely not the type to let his anger go.

My kids have really good friends that my husband and I are only passing acquaintances with the parents, so I don't consider it all that odd that the Harts and the Abbotts weren't very close.

• Love 2

IMDb has Vivien Cardone's birthdate as April 14, 1993, so she's 21.  Yep, she's all grown up ;-)

Thanks, maculae, for the reunion links.  The cast all seem to enjoy each other's company.

rogueprinzess:  I personally would have loved to see more emphasis on Delia. She was kind of the token second child in many ways on this show, though I know a lot of that was due to how young she was when the show started. But all the same, it would have been nice to see more of who she was becoming.

She was starting to come into her own by the last season.  Part of "who she was becoming" would have had to do with her bat mitzvah preparations; I seem to remember that being mentioned at the time.

Who was the boy she said was a "doodyhead"?  I think he was related to Nina.

• Love 2
(edited)

Another interesting article with some cool info from ATX.

Berlanti noted that when he initially pitched the show to his studio, “they said ‘that will never sell — people do not want to watch a character-based show anymore, they’re really into procedurals. Do you have anything procedural?’

I just think it's funny that now TV is shunning procedurals for more character based shows.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1
(edited)

From everything I've seen and read, the Everwood "family" were really happy to reunite.  Contrast that with the Roswell reunion from the same weekend.  I can't quite put my finger on it but that sense of exuberant joy didn't appear to be there with the Roswell cast.

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 1

Another interesting article with some cool info from ATX.

I just think it's funny that now TV is shunning procedurals for more character based shows.

Or how networks a few years ago wanted shows that 12-24 year olds would watch and buy stuff. Now, they want to have specific shows for different age ranges. Funny how life turns out. 

I remember being livid that Everwood was canceled for 7th Heaven but having seen the alternate ending, I'm more than OK with everything. Thankful, even. And happy that they got the opportunity to shoot two endings. Madison coming back would have been a big mess... other than being a roadblock for Amy/Ephram, what was the purpose for her return? Would they have gotten together, would she have helped him meet their son? Blegh, no, I'm glad that didn't happen.

I've been entertaining the idea of watching the DVDs again but the whole Madison thing, followed by the Amanda thing... yeah, I'm not up for it right now. LOL.

Just reading up on things but I think what really gets me is not only how 7th Heaven was renewed under very stupid reasons but why the creators of the show thought this was such a great idea to take the show next. There seem to be this obsession with bringing Sarah Lancaster back time and time again as Madison when everyone hated the story lines. She was fine on Chuck but her character was constantly changing direction from being a child education major wanting to be a teacher. To all of a sudden wanting to get out of Everwood by having a band. To where she slept with her boss's son when she was constantly in a relationship with one of the band members. To how she went from having a nice home life to her roommate telling Andy that her father walked out of her as a little girl and her mom was this religious nut that was on her all the time. Then magically she had a brother in New York and then tells Ephram about their son the day of his audition for Juliard. Her character was just so all over the place it. She was written to fit the story and not the character, which in a way is I think the Everwood team trying to convey to the "hot topic" ideas the WB wanted at the time. How times have changed. 

Which of this show's friendships/romances/family relationships were your very favorite?! I loved Andy/Harold, Andy/Ephram (at least before the 'two steps forward, three steps back dynamic got too forced and repetitive!), Harold/Amy, Harold/Bright (perhaps you guys can tell I'm a fan of Harold's character?!), and Bright/Ephram. As for romances, I really loved Bright/Hannah for some reason, despite hating the 'cheating' thing and not usually loving the 'good girl tames hard partying playboy' trope.   

I just started a rewatch of Everwood. I'm nowhere near the introduction of Hannah, but from what I remember I was never all that into the Bright/Hannah relationship. I liked Bright, his family relationship with his parents and Amy and his friendship with Ephram, but never cared much about his romantic relationships. I think this show was best at the non-romantic relationships. I liked almost all of those but the only romantic relationships that I remember liking were Ephram/Amy, Harold/Rose and Irv/Edna.

I just finished watching episode 8 where Ephram and Amy kissed in the mine and Colin wakes up and doesn't recognize Amy. The show does have a lot of emotional moments. I probably cried more watching Everwood than all the other shows I watched combined. Or at least it feels that way after rewatching these 8 episodes.

• Love 3

I just started a rewatch of Everwood. I'm nowhere near the introduction of Hannah, but from what I remember I was never all that into the Bright/Hannah relationship. I liked Bright, his family relationship with his parents and Amy and his friendship with Ephram, but never cared much about his romantic relationships. I think this show was best at the non-romantic relationships. I liked almost all of those but the only romantic relationships that I remember liking were Ephram/Amy, Harold/Rose and Irv/Edna.

I just finished watching episode 8 where Ephram and Amy kissed in the mine and Colin wakes up and doesn't recognize Amy. The show does have a lot of emotional moments. I probably cried more watching Everwood than all the other shows I watched combined. Or at least it feels that way after rewatching these 8 episodes.

I loved Everwood. Bright and Hannah were one of my favorites, but I agree with your post completely! Emotionally so true and the first season was especially beautiful. I do believe it is time to rewatch the show again!

• Love 3

I'll always associate Greg Berlanti with Everwood (and Jack and Bobby) in my mind. I don't watch his current shows and will never be able to think of him as the superhero king he's become. ;)

While I was browsing IMDB -- goodness, look how far Chris Pratt has come! Gregory Smith doesn't have any credits since 2015 when Rookie Blue ended. Emily Van Camp of course starred in Revenge but has been fairly quiet since.

8 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I just started a rewatch of Everwood.

Good luck gritting your teeth throughout the entire Ephram/Madison arc! To this day, I avoid watching anything Sarah Lancaster is in. Totally unfair of me, but there it is.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 3

We hates her, we hates the Madison forever!! 

4 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Good luck gritting your teeth throughout the entire Ephram/Madison arc! To this day, I avoid watching anything Sarah Lancaster is in. Totally unfair of me, but there it is.

I'm the same way with Sarah Lancaster. Deep down I know she and Madison aren't the same person, but I just can't forgive her.  She will always be Madison and Madison will always be THE WORST part of one of my favorite shows. When I rewatched Everwood a few years back, I thought I might have outgrown my hatred of her but no, I haven't.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Indy said:

We hates her, we hates the Madison forever!! 

I'm the same way with Sarah Lancaster. Deep down I know she and Madison aren't the same person, but I just can't forgive her.  She will always be Madison and Madison will always be THE WORST part of one of my favorite shows. When I rewatched Everwood a few years back, I thought I might have outgrown my hatred of her but no, I haven't.  

Madison was an example of the writers enjoying the character more than the fans or how the stories functioned. They also had this horrible time rewriting her history to make us feel "sorry for her". Remember, she had a father who left her, a over religious mother and can't tell her former boyfriend or Ephram about not wanting to be with them, they are pregnant. Then magically she has a brother in New York after her roommate who did know she was pregnant say she was an only child. Plus, she was going to be a teacher, but only being in a rock band was going to get her out of the void that was Everwood. It became too much, similar to Bright and Ephram's old roommate, they had him signed up for 10 episodes and had a story planned, but they were busy with trying to get the show post baby drama out of the ground. So, the excuse was: "Keep his shirtless" to fulfil the contract and they his story was over in 2 episodes with a mentally handicap brother, cheating on medical tests and drugs and then *poof* he was gone. The show's other fault was trying to bring back stories that everyone wanted dead and buried. Like the alternate ending if they had come back for a season 5, with Madison returning with the baby in tow and Hannah wanting to date Ephram seeing him being a guy who can handle "drama" and her mother apparently showing back up after not wanting to deal with anything after Hannah's dad died and her brother was going to be revealed to have the same disease. 

16 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Poor Sarah Lancaster. She was great on Chuck! (But yeah, Madison was awful)

I loved her on Chuck, even her short term piece on Dr. Vegas was better. I think the problem that really drove me crazy with Berlanti and the Everwood crew was them throwing storylines with no idea where to go with them. In fact, Sarah Lancaster had been cast on Dr. Vegas before they even filmed the last three episodes. They didn't have to do the baby story or had it where she decided to get an abortion or something. Because many fans and critics said that despite a very dramatic story. The reaction was very negative because it was done with no thought process in mind. Similar to Andy's affair in season 3, which everyone admitted it went on way too long for almost 10 episodes and they had it basically being that Andy was trying to get back at his ex-wife for cheating on him. Which even Treat Willaims thought was out of character for Andy, but they said there was a plan, but he didn't know until about 2 episodes before the storyline ended and his reaction was: "Next time, tell me the plan because I hate this and I'm sure others will too." Which they did.

Same goes with introducing Nina Young as Erves daughter. They planned on him dying since season 4 started and even told all the actors, but Nina was busy on another project and they producers knew she would be busy. So the excuse she wasn't at her own father's funeral or showed up post funeral was because her baby had an ear infection and her husband couldn't watch the baby by himself. Which made no sense at all. 

• Love 1

Do you all notice something about Everwood when you watch old episodes?  The way an episode "feels" has much to do with my life at the time of watching.

To put a finer point on it:  This is a great show when real life is good, but when real life is a little stressful, this can be a pretty depressing show!

• Love 1

I think what I liked most about Everwood was all the different relationships between the various characters. I do watch (or used to watch) some of Berlanti's other shows but nothing packs the emotional punch like Everwood did. 

I really wish Everwood was streaming somewhere. I have Netflix and Hulu and it is not on there. I do not know if Amazon Prime or any other streaming service might have it. 

• Love 2
On 4/26/2017 at 2:58 PM, Misslindsey said:

I really wish Everwood was streaming somewhere. I have Netflix and Hulu and it is not on there. I do not know if Amazon Prime or any other streaming service might have it.

To answer myself, I believe it was June 1st that all four seasons are available to stream on CW Seed. I have it on my Roku.

• Love 2

I've been binging on Everwood starting from the pilot on CW Seed. The Madison storyline is even more disgusting than I remember. 20 and 16... flip the genders and it's widely considered statutory rape and the guy is a predator. The same should have gone for Ephram and Madison. She's gross. And it doesn't help that she looks so much older than him and Ephram just seems like a naive boy in comparison. Ugh.

Who on earth thought that that was a compelling storyline? And then Ms. Satan comes back to ruin Ephram's audition to Julliard and gives away his child without telling him. A truly repellent person/character.

• Love 3