Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

Three 15+ scores on beam, I'll take it.  And the US has already amassed a huge lead.  

Aside from Aliya it looks like the floor wasn't kind to Russia, Japan just passed them.  We got ourselves a dark horse here.

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 1

Even though it wasn't Simone's best, her score was still pretty high. Her degree of difficulty is ridiculous.  I hope they keep this up and keep adding to their lead.

Interesting that they're discussing that you can't make changes the same day; Courtney indicated that changes have to be made in the warmup the DAY BEFORE. If Ukraine (men) had a guy in the hospital when they had to make up their minds the day before, where was the alternate? I'm still scratching my head over that. 

Wang Yan so young but rocking the bitchface. I love her already.

And I must be crazy but I'm not that crazy about Simone on beam. I love her floors and vault and her UB isn't even that great but somehow her beam seems sort of "chuck as many elements as I can into one routine plus the kitchen sink." I admire it but I don't like it.

It's amazing how strong Simone is. Not her best routine, but you could see her save two shaky landings and still manage to connect one of them into a leap! Wow.

Cheering for your teammates while they're performing is not something that bothers me at all. It seems like it's just what's done. I'm sure if it wasn't positive, they would stop doing it. I assume these ladies are more than used to doing these routines while things are being yelled at them--by coaches, by fans, by teammates. I know gymnasts have said in the past that hearing their teammates yelling for them encourages and motivates them. So if they like it that way, I figure who am I to question it? I feel the same way about the hugs. It seems affirming to them to all hug each other after each event. So...good for them. 

Interesting that Aliya is the Russian anchor on floor. I haven't seen her teammates' routines, but as has been stated, hers is just sort of weird and un-tumbly.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Three 15+ scores on beam, I'll take it.  And the US has already amassed a huge lead.  

Aside from Aliya it looks like the floor wasn't kind to Russia, Japan just passed them.  We got ourselves a dark horse here.

Her floor it just mediocre at best. Her tumbling passes wouldn't be competitive even for 1996 and those turns. She fell out of pretty much all of them. I think her D-score was only a 5.5. She can't even do the turns well. Is Russia that depleted for talent they don't have a decent floor worker?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, DawnDavenport said:

Her floor it just mediocre at best. Her tumbling passes wouldn't be competitive even for 1996 and those turns. She fell out of pretty much all of them. I think her D-score was only a 5.5. She can't even do the turns well. Is Russia that depleted for talent they don't have a decent floor worker?

right?
and Aliya looks like "bored now." like she wants to be anywhere else but in RIo.

Damn if they can survive Beam Japan really does have a chance to medal.  And they were like 7th in qualifying.

I have eyes again in time for rotation 4 <3

Edited by kittykat

No one will ever convince me that the Chinese team is all age eligible. Some of those girls look like they are still in elementary school, not just body-wise, but face-wise.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I've looked into this issue extensively and Ukraine could have easily put in another athlete if they had wanted to. I linked to an article a few pages back where they spoke with one of the FIG technical members and they said all Ukraine had to do was fill out a form detailing the injury and they could have put in a reserve athlete. I was more annoyed that the FIG member said it was strategic on their part not to perform and it was their right to not compete if they didn't want to. 

What? That is just.... no words. 

2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

No one will ever convince me that the Chinese team is all age eligible. Some of those girls look like they are still in elementary school, not just body-wise, but face-wise.

I still call shenanigans on 2008.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I've looked into this issue extensively and Ukraine could have easily put in another athlete if they had wanted to. I linked to an article a few pages back where they spoke with one of the FIG technical members and they said all Ukraine had to do was fill out a form detailing the injury and they could have put in a reserve athlete. I was more annoyed that the FIG member said it was strategic on their part not to perform and it was their right to not compete if they didn't want to. 

That's just stupid as far as "strategy" goes. Put in a damn sub. Poor Switzerland. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, catray said:

Beam has definitely been killer-- lots of wobbles. Great to see Japan doing so well! 

Seems like the judges are trying to cook the scores so China gets 2nd. I wonder if they'll give the 10 yo Chinese gymnast a 16+?

I think the Ukrainians just didn't want to perform since they did so poorly in prelims, but they didn't want to give up their spot. It's very selfish and makes them look terrible. I doubt they care. When they perform in the Ind. events, I expect the crowd to boo them. They haven't held back so far when they don't like a athlete

• Love 3
Just now, Arynm said:

I think the Ukrainians just didn't want to perform since they did so poorly in prelims, but they didn't want to give up their spot. It's very selfish and makes them look terrible. I doubt they care. When they perform in the Ind. events, I expect the crowd to boo them. They haven't held back so far when they don't like a athlete

Bless Brazil for that. 
Like i mentioned yesterday, I was totally team Oleg, but I am over Ukraine now. I am pissed that FIG won't do anything. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I wonder how many years it will be when they are stripped of the gold medal...

Considering those were the Beijing Olympics there's never going to be definitive proof.

Come on Japan, you can do it.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Seems like the judges are trying to cook the scores so China gets 2nd. I wonder if they'll give the 10 yo Chinese gymnast a 16+?

Too funny. She got a 15 but are now in 2nd. Nice job!

Just now, Sew Sumi said:

I've never seen such a wait for a score. This is getting ridiculous. 

They are cooking the books to make sure China gets silver at least. I hope they tank on the next rotation. Watching the judges try to find a way to score her higher was just blatant and gross.

2 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Considering those were the Beijing Olympics there's never going to be definitive proof.

Come on Japan, you can do it.

Maybe one of them will try to apply for media credentials for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Bejing. It would be funny if they were cut the same way twice.

Just now, Sew Sumi said:

This Chinese girl is TWENTY? She looks half that. 

There's a video of her floating around somewhere of her in a junior competition like 7-8 years ago. She looks exactly the same. She's twenty. She just doesn't age. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

This Chinese girl is TWENTY? She looks half that. 

Well one thing is that Chinese girls are ruthlessly culled to have that tiny, doll-like look. That's a cultural thing -- I'm of Chinese background and my dad calls me "fat" if I gain a few pounds and I'm in my 30's. The other thing is age fraud but the obsession with making those girls look like little dolls is another factor.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Cherpumple said:

Thanks! I know judging shenanigans have happened in many sports, but I didn't know if I was missing some specific scandal or motive.

The 2000 Chinese gymnasts were stripped of their bronze for having an underage gymnast.  And in 2008 an investigation into the ages of the Gold medal winning team happened but evidence proved inconclusive.

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, HerLadyship said:

There's a video of her floating around somewhere of her in a junior competition like 7-8 years ago. She looks exactly the same. She's twenty. She just doesn't age. 

Can't find this one, but here she is in 2012. Looks the same. 

Edited by HerLadyship

The Chinese have done pretty good on the floor so far. If the last girl holds on, they do deserve the silver. Yikes, never mind. Poor girl looks crushed.

It's amazing how well the Chinese age. 

Edited by twoods
12 minutes ago, Arynm said:

They are cooking the books to make sure China gets silver at least. I hope they tank on the next rotation. Watching the judges try to find a way to score her higher was just blatant and gross.

Don't forget the flubbed rings dismount with a score that was way too high as well.

• Love 1