Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

On 9/26/2016 at 11:09 PM, KnyghtRyder said:

Conduct during the National Anthem is actually delineated in Title 36 of the U.S. Code. Specifically Section 301. And standing, facing the flag, removing any headdress and/or placing your hand over your heart is actually exactly what it says. ?

Something that is interesting about this rule though is that women do not remove "fashion" hats during the anthem, nor do cancer patients - however, they do remove baseball hats.

When I was in the army we were given the protocol rules as follows:

In civillian clothes, ladies are not required to remove headgear. You may opt to do so. In uniform you do not remove headgear outside. You do not remove headgear inside if you are armed. Sometimes an area that's outside is designated, "under cover" -which means inside rules apply.

As a fully honorably discharged veteran, you may come to attention and salute even if you are in civvies. In uniform you always come to attention and salute. In civillian clothes, you stand and put right hand over heart.

If you can't see the flag, face the sound of the music to render your salute/respect.

At No time have you sworn to protect that flag. You Have sworn to protect the constitution.

For me, it's the greatest honor to have the first amendment to our constitution, so we abide everyone's right to lawful protest, even those expressions I personally find distasteful or assinine. That is what I fought for. To me, That is what you honor when you render your chosen mode of respect for the anthem.

and just btw, I think taking a knee to bring up the apalling facts that created the Black Lives Matter discussion is a moving tribute to the people suffering for basic safety and liberty.

Edited by Bubbetv
Typo! :)
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Bubbetv said:

For me, it's the greatest honor to have the first amendment to our constitution, so we abide everyone's right to lawful protest, even those expressions I personally find distasteful or assinine. That is what I fought for. To me, That is what you honor when you render your chosen mode of respect for the anthem.

and just btw, I think taking a knee to bring up the apalling facts that created the Black Lives Matter discussion is a moving tribute to the people suffering for basic safety and liberty.

This whole thing just yes. I don't think we're really supposed to discuss this sort of thing on here so that's all I'll say :)

JC123 - You have good juju. My sister’s dog (who has since passed) did that to a girl once.  We were walking by and she went up to her and nudged her hand for pet and wagged her tail.  An adorable moment I won’t forget. 

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, JC123 said:

What's juju? Honestly I've been walking around at work with the BIGGEST smile on my face all day hahaha. Bless me. I miss having a dog, it's the worst when they go on ?

It really means luck so I probably used the wrong word.  But animals can sense good and bad people.  They are innocent and open.

• Love 3
On 8/28/2016 at 3:46 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

My god, I go away for a few weeks and all heck breaks loose! I FINALLY caught up on the new developments!

I see we have all been slapped on the hand for expressing unpopular snark about people who choose to live in the public eye. What a riot. It's even funnier that I am the one who said Shelly looked like a goober for doing a summersalt (I know I just butchered that spelling) at a DCC audition. Sensitive, aren't we? The term "goober" has got to sting, especially for doing a goofy looking maneuver, on a dare, while being a goofball. OUCH! I mean, talk about a scathing assessment on my part right?! I've got to have some WICKED karmic retribution coming at me for THAT one!

At least I didn't say she had a thut, looked like a grandma, was shot up with filler, asked what she'd been eating off-season, called her serious dance skills "really bad", questioned her moral content if she ever showed up late to anything, called her a stripper, or anything else that's been said on that show.

We do not need to ask permission to snark, praise, criticize, think out loud, express or emote about those who choose to live in the public eye, on a television show that is constructed, in its very nature, to cause a buzz. We're just buzzing in a venue which has been created for this purpose, and they'd be wise to consider it a valuable marketing tool rather than getting butthurt. I NEVER go on Twitter or any social media account and berate or harass the girls or anyone from this organization if I have a contrary opinion. If what's being said in an appointed forum (with governing guidelines and mods who aren't afraid to enforce them) isn't popular, that's something that they'll have to live with.

We - the little people - also undergo scrutiny and criticisms in our own lives. Guess what? Gossip and misjudgement exists in the real world too! And the bitch of that is, we don't usually get to know why people have criticized us or what has taken place in many misunderstandings. For those with the organization who are offended, they'd do well to quote Julia Roberts lookalike Meghan (may she rest in peace) in saying "I get the chance to improve my image, which is something most girls don't even get to know if something was wrong". Consider it a gift. You're welcome. 

Also, with the salt is the sugar. I am OBSESSED with the character, drive, determination, beauty and dedication of the DCCs and the organization. I am a Cowboys fan BECAUSE of the DCCs. They are true ambassadors. I can't WAIT to see The Star facility and the Cowboys have made a few bucks off of my dedication (your welcome Shelly), and will continue to. I have snark and criticism but I have mad love, which is reflected in my comments as well. Not that I need to explain or defend.

I'm going to continue, without apology, while hiding behind a screen name and an avatar (GILLEY!), to follow that which has been repeated numerous times on this board: "Snark the show, not each other". If you choose to inject yourself into this conversation in an attempt to control that which is said, have at it, but I will not edit. Rant over.

PREACH!   This is my first visit to the small talk thread, and I'm systematically reading my way through it. 

I thought I'd introduce myself briefly, I'm in my mid fifties, live in central Indiana, (born in NJ), and am a retired quality engineer from a major auto manufacturer. ( think auto- Amy). I'm married with 2 step daughters, an Amazon parrot, and my screen name is because I always have had a giant rabbit or two running around my house. Oh yeah, I'm obsessed with the DCC!!     Curtesy.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2016 at 3:22 PM, Oranaiche said:

We tolerate you because your Chardonnay induced, slightly short-bus but all the same endearing ramblings make us laugh so.

Also because crotch fruit diatribes. (Sorry but I'm never letting that die. ??)

I think we're pretty cool. Only cool people can quote and sing all the songs from "Red, White and Blaine." Right?

I mean, that's what my mom told me.

I looove the " Guffman club"

" mama made a kishka, made it nice and fat, papa took one look, and said I can't eat that!"

• Love 2

PREACH!   This is my first visit to the small talk thread, and I'm systematically reading my way through it. 

I thought I'd introduce myself briefly, I'm in my mid fifties, live in central Indiana, (born in NJ), and am a retired quality engineer from a major auto manufacturer. ( think auto- Amy). I'm married with 2 step daughters, an Amazon parrot, and my screen name is because I always have had a giant rabbit or two running around my house. Oh yeah, I'm obsessed with the DCC!!     Curtesy.

Hey, I am in central Indiana!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PBSLover said:

Thanks for this!  I’m no dancer but I could definitely do this one:

guff8.jpg

Lol! That is honestly my favorite part. I can do this one.

IMG_0073.JPG

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 3

I just watched "Waiting for Guffman" with my mom who has never seen it and I had a total hysterical laughing meltdown over, "Hawk your jewels, use your money for stools!" I was actually crying.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, SopranoKris said:

I tried to find a pic from "Penny for your thoughts", but we all know....

Guffman Show.jpg

I couldn't find any either so I took some awful action shots from a terrible quality YouTube video. I think this is the only one we really need.

IMG_0088.PNG

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Oranaiche said:

I couldn't find any either so I took some awful action shots from a terrible quality YouTube video. I think this is the only one we really need.

IMG_0088.PNG

How about doing THAT"lyrical " routine for DCC auditions?!!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Bunnygirl said:

How about doing THAT"lyrical " routine for DCC auditions?!!

Right? But they probably wouldn't let us do a partner dance and I can't imagine it being as beautiful or moving without two majestic dancers. ?

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

totally random but I'm on a brain fart and lacking food to take for lunch at work... anyone have any easy peasy (prefer crockpot) recipe they would recommend?  Thanks!

I just made this easy chicken recipe on saturday but it can get kind of messy. So a packet of hidden valley ranch, plain breadcrumbs and mayo along with the chicken breast is all you need. Be aware if you get fat chicken breasts that it can take longer than the time it says to bake. 

https://www.hiddenvalley.com/recipe/crunchy-baked-ranch-chicken/

1 hour ago, Oranaiche said:

Right? But they probably wouldn't let us do a partner dance and I can't imagine it being as beautiful or moving without two majestic dancers. ?

I know,. But I could TOTALLY see Corky wanting to try out!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

totally random but I'm on a brain fart and lacking food to take for lunch at work... anyone have any easy peasy (prefer crockpot) recipe they would recommend?  Thanks!

This one is very easy and so tasty:  http://www.graceandgoodeats.com/italian-chicken-green-beans-and-potatoes/

(P.S. you can make it with canned French style green beans, too).  I've used different seasoning packets for a different taste. I also prefer using 2 packets of seasoning, instead of one, but I prefer lots of flavor. This one was a big hit with the family and takes only a few minutes to prepare before you pop it in the oven. Sometimes, I'll get it ready the night before and keep it in the fridge and put it in the oven when I get home. To make prep time even quicker, buy red new potatoes and leave the skins on, just cut up. 

33 minutes ago, JC123 said:

What's a crock pot? Sounds like another word for the toilet?! ?

A crock pot is a slow cooker.  You put a roast in it and let it cook for about 8 hours.  Good to use when you work all day and want dinner ready when you walk in the door at night.

Edited by SopranoKris
  • Love 1

Ohh yeah I have one of those. I've never heard it called a crock pot though! Yoi can make amazing fudge in them. And gooey delicious desserts.... mmmm. *goes to make fudge at 6am* 

Random but interested in what you all think so I'm going to take a poll:

A friend is a social worker and often separates her job from corporate jobs or non-social work jobs.  What I mean is she sometimes will half-jokingly refer to herself as Mother Teresa or describe herself as a "professional do-gooder" or a "humanitarian".  In her spare time though, she doesn't volunteer and doesn't pause for the homeless (e.g., she's like most people in this city). 

I have my own opinion on her statements but curious to hear others - is she accurate or is there truth in her statements (and completely based on the fact that she's a social worker from 8:30am to 4:30pm M-F)?

16 hours ago, SopranoKris said:

This one is very easy and so tasty:  http://www.graceandgoodeats.com/italian-chicken-green-beans-and-potatoes/

(P.S. you can make it with canned French style green beans, too).  I've used different seasoning packets for a different taste. I also prefer using 2 packets of seasoning, instead of one, but I prefer lots of flavor. This one was a big hit with the family and takes only a few minutes to prepare before you pop it in the oven. Sometimes, I'll get it ready the night before and keep it in the fridge and put it in the oven when I get home. To make prep time even quicker, buy red new potatoes and leave the skins on, just cut up. 

A crock pot is a slow cooker.  You put a roast in it and let it cook for about 8 hours.  Good to use when you work all day and want dinner ready when you walk in the door at night.

Thank you!  Am I the only one who gets nervous leaving the crockpot on while I'm away from home?  Lol ... I know that's what it's meant for and the fact that I stay home to babysit it is silly and defeats the purpose of convenience but I'm just nervous nelly!  Lol

9 hours ago, JC123 said:

Ohh yeah I have one of those. I've never heard it called a crock pot though! Yoi can make amazing fudge in them. And gooey delicious desserts.... mmmm. *goes to make fudge at 6am* 

wait what???  you can make fudge in this???  how??  Do you have a tried and true recipe?  And how do you clean the crocpot afterwards?  Sounds messy?

18 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Am I the only one who gets nervous leaving the crockpot on while I'm away from home? 

No, you're not.  This is why I got a crock pot as a gift 14 years ago & it's still in the box.

• Love 4

I never really stick to one specific recipe, Pinterest is the best for them! I've done baileys  (whisky-cream liqueur alcohol stuff), mint chocolate, m&ms and just vanilla fudge! And no not really, my "pot" bit is removable from the electric base so I just soak it for a bit and then it just wipes clean. 

Apparently you can make amazing desserts in them too but I'm yet to try that! 

12 minutes ago, JC123 said:

I never really stick to one specific recipe, Pinterest is the best for them! I've done baileys  (whisky-cream liqueur alcohol stuff), mint chocolate, m&ms and just vanilla fudge! And no not really, my "pot" bit is removable from the electric base so I just soak it for a bit and then it just wipes clean. 

Apparently you can make amazing desserts in them too but I'm yet to try that! 

this has changed my life and I thank you

• Love 1

Can I just say, I've been in hosp for a coupla weeks and oh my goodness how I've missed y'all! 

I've missed 4 flipping episodes which I will have to try and find on youtube and it will probably take me a month to catch up with all the chitchattery on this forum!

re. Luchesse boots that were mentioned a while back, I would LOVE a pair. I don't give a squit that I live in the UK in Buckinghamshire... which is basically Midsomer Murders land. I would wear them with everything!

**Also someone mentioned chiropractors for neck pain/migraine, I've had 20 years of chronic pain from a neck injury and only had my first chiropractor session a few weeks back and it was a revelation. Far better than 20 years of massage and physiotherapy. Has helped massively with my migraines caused by mangled neck.

• Love 4

BritFan - It was me.  I hope you are on the road to recovery and are feeling better.  So sorry that you’ve been unwell.  I know I am speaking for the whole board that you get back to feeling like your old self or new self!!!!

And chiropractors are awesome!

• Love 4
13 hours ago, BritFan said:

Can I just say, I've been in hosp for a coupla weeks and oh my goodness how I've missed y'all! 

I've missed 4 flipping episodes which I will have to try and find on youtube and it will probably take me a month to catch up with all the chitchattery on this forum!

re. Luchesse boots that were mentioned a while back, I would LOVE a pair. I don't give a squit that I live in the UK in Buckinghamshire... which is basically Midsomer Murders land. I would wear them with everything!

**Also someone mentioned chiropractors for neck pain/migraine, I've had 20 years of chronic pain from a neck injury and only had my first chiropractor session a few weeks back and it was a revelation. Far better than 20 years of massage and physiotherapy. Has helped massively with my migraines caused by mangled neck.

Oh, no! So sorry to hear you've been ill. Hope you're going OK now. :) :) :)

There was discussion started in the Former Cheerleaders thread about who had the best fans in football. I'm lucky, I guess, because my two favored teams go back and forth for having the loudest stadiums in the NFL (Seattle and Kansas City.) Games there are incredible.  There are also amazing fan bases in Green Bay and Pittsburg that stick out to me because of the fan ownership component in GB and the blue color roots in both cities. 

Having lived in Dallas for almost half my life, I strongly feel the reason the stadium tickets can be "cheap" and easily had by the traveling team is because so many are corporate owned. And I think so much of that is because of the "dream teams" of the 90's and what Jerry Jones has worked to build. 

When the stadium moved to Arlington, many lifelong season ticket holders could no longer hold on to their season tickets. I remember reading an article that a season ticket holder on the 50 yard line needed $100k to get close to his old seats in the new stadium. I believe the current license fee (plus tickets!) is $10-$15k. That just prices out the average fan. 

It's a damned shame, because the stadium is so pretty, but parking is at least $60, there's no public transit available to the ballparks, the licensing fees, and inconvenient location to the most populated parts of DFW.

Anyway, just my two cents. As much as I love a flashy chandelier and the lucky two times I've had suite tickets, I miss the old stadium. I like a bit of grit and sweat in my NFL. It's all a big, polished production sometimes. 

11 hours ago, kalibean said:

There was discussion started in the Former Cheerleaders thread about who had the best fans in football. I'm lucky, I guess, because my two favored teams go back and forth for having the loudest stadiums in the NFL (Seattle and Kansas City.) Games there are incredible.  There are also amazing fan bases in Green Bay and Pittsburg that stick out to me because of the fan ownership component in GB and the blue color roots in both cities. 

Having lived in Dallas for almost half my life, I strongly feel the reason the stadium tickets can be "cheap" and easily had by the traveling team is because so many are corporate owned. And I think so much of that is because of the "dream teams" of the 90's and what Jerry Jones has worked to build. 

When the stadium moved to Arlington, many lifelong season ticket holders could no longer hold on to their season tickets. I remember reading an article that a season ticket holder on the 50 yard line needed $100k to get close to his old seats in the new stadium. I believe the current license fee (plus tickets!) is $10-$15k. That just prices out the average fan. 

It's a damned shame, because the stadium is so pretty, but parking is at least $60, there's no public transit available to the ballparks, the licensing fees, and inconvenient location to the most populated parts of DFW.

Anyway, just my two cents. As much as I love a flashy chandelier and the lucky two times I've had suite tickets, I miss the old stadium. I like a bit of grit and sweat in my NFL. It's all a big, polished production sometimes. 

Patriots stadium is $40 to park even for concerts. I've seen T.Swift there twice now and it's the parking prices that kill me. $40 to park and then it takes almost 2 hours to get out of the parking lot unless you leave the concert early. Ridiculous. That being said, I wouldn't go to a concert at Metlife unless I was taking the train and then a bus from grand central or something.

I haven't seen stadium spots for less than $120 - $60 was what I paid for a spot far enough away that they offer a shuttle to the game but you do have to walk back. Just over a half a mile so not too bad. 

Not nearly as awesome as the $2 I paid for light rail in Seattle though! More cash left over for $10 stadium beer ??

I have to share this with you guys.

My sister teases me a bit over my love for DCC and MTT and usually randomly picks a girls name and says 'How's Fiona doing? Did she make it?' She got savvy because she realised last year there were two Hollys and two Amys so she started mentioning them.

Imagine my surprise when she mentioned Jessika-with-a-K, Bethany with the pretty coloured eyes and Kelsey! 

Basically she watched about ten minutes of an episode as it came up as an advert betweeen one of the beauty bloggers she was watching.

Kelsey is her favourite.. I feel I have taught her well!!

Edited by BritFan
  • Love 4

**I forgot to mention, she asked why on earth they have to stick the stars on instead of having them already attached which I've also wondered.

Do they ever fall off? I could imagine them being brushed off by an arm if they are just velcro-d on.