Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Marriage Meets Money

The couples examine their finances as Halie and George meet with an advisor; Brenda and Travis realize they are not in sink financially; and Emma and Joey meet with a mortgage broker to get pre-approved for a loan.

At least Joey's parents have some sense.

I don't want to be paying to fix up a house

Then stick to renting for god's sake. $800 a month is really nice for the size of the house they're renting now. If they budgeted better and set aside part of their paychecks each time they got one, they could afford a down-payment in a few years when they're more settled down.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I swear Emma and Joey are just two stoners livin' the life man. And did she say "nicks and crannies"?

No way. She's too high-strung to be a stoner. Now, Joey? Absolutely.

• Love 1

$120 a month for groceries for two people? That's less than $30 a week, so that rice is about all they'll be able to afford. I can't believe how little these couples know about money. Get a freaking job. I worked full time during college and it wasn't that tough.

• Love 3

There's a reason why I'm very very wary of people that get fuckin knocked up the instant they get a high school diploma.

This is why. You people are making negative six an hour and are putting a lot of that towards rent. Especially Travis and Brianna, who live in an LA suburb. Even a condemned studio that smells of piss is like, $2500.

• Love 3

There's a reason why I'm very very wary of people that get fuckin knocked up the instant they get a high school diploma.

This is why. You people are making negative six an hour and are putting a lot of that towards rent. Especially Travis and Brianna, who live in an LA suburb. Even a condemned studio that smells of piss is like, $2500.

4 hours ago, PityFree said:

Why is Emma always driving? Doesn't Joey have a drivers license?

They need to not die in a car crash on the way to the realtor because Joey fell asleep at the wheel...

• Love 2

Best part of the episode IMHO: when Brenda's father-in-law said something to the effect of "I should have married Brenda. We'd never spend any money..." and the mother-in-law scolded him and said he should never talk about marrying his DIL, even hypothetically. I LOL'd.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

I seriously wonder why these couples were in a rush to get married. None of them have basic life skills like saving money and budgeting. $25 in savings? Wow. 

S.E.X.  All of them seem to have religious leanings and I think they all rushed into marriage so they could get it on.  You would think that they would've undergone some sort of religious counseling prior to discuss money and kids, etc., but I'm a heathen so I don't know how that works.  Maybe it was all "great that you're getting married before having sex now go with God."  It's really sad how little they know about money, BUT you know there are "adults" who know even less, which is really scary.

• Love 2

I kind of wish they would tell us how long each couple was dating prior to getting married. Perhaps they have already and I've blocked it out (or forgotten with all of the other crap shows I watch). It seems like all of these couples are fighting over fundamental issues that should have been resolved before marriage - Travis' (aka brokedown and dirty Jon Snow- Heaven forehand!) spending, conflicts over when to purchase a home, and which set of parents to live nearest. 

• Love 1

It's also hard to drive when you're holding a plate of four breakfast sandwiches!  I did wonder if maybe Joey didn't have a drivers license or it had been suspended or something, but I think we saw him getting in or out of a car at work one time by himself.  It's so funny that Emma parrots exactly what her parents were saying about buying a house in the interviews, while Joey's parents were all, "They don't need to buy a house right now."  It's clear they're both getting a lot of parental advice. 

And speaking of parental advice, Halie's dad may have gone into a bit more detail than his kids needed.  They needed, like, budgeting 101 and how savings and credit cards worked, and he was on retirement planning -- which is, absolutely, important, but you gotta crawl before you can walk.  Start small, dad!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Forcereals said:

S.E.X.  All of them seem to have religious leanings and I think they all rushed into marriage so they could get it on.  You would think that they would've undergone some sort of religious counseling prior to discuss money and kids, etc., but I'm a heathen so I don't know how that works.  Maybe it was all "great that you're getting married before having sex now go with God."  It's really sad how little they know about money, BUT you know there are "adults" who know even less, which is really scary.

I don't know. Emma/Joey don't seem to have very heavy religious leanings.

9 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

It's also hard to drive when you're holding a plate of four breakfast sandwiches!  I did wonder if maybe Joey didn't have a drivers license or it had been suspended or something, but I think we saw him getting in or out of a car at work one time by himself.  It's so funny that Emma parrots exactly what her parents were saying about buying a house in the interviews, while Joey's parents were all, "They don't need to buy a house right now."  It's clear they're both getting a lot of parental advice. 

And speaking of parental advice, Halie's dad may have gone into a bit more detail than his kids needed.  They needed, like, budgeting 101 and how savings and credit cards worked, and he was on retirement planning -- which is, absolutely, important, but you gotta crawl before you can walk.  Start small, dad!

I do wish Emma/Joey would have taken Joey's parents' advice (it is some great advice) but if they did I suspect we wouldn't be seeing them on this show!

• Love 1

Out of the couples, Emma and Joey are the ones I suspect were having sex before marriage.  But they come from a small town, and it seems like they have other friends who married young.  Plus neither of them seem terribly motivated to do big things with their life -- I know she's in college but there hasn't been any talk about what she's studying or what she wants to do, has there?  I assume they were all, "Eh, we want to live together and getting married seems the thing to do so let's go ahead and get it done."

• Love 2
On 6/29/2016 at 8:10 PM, IvyDancer said:

I kind of wish they would tell us how long each couple was dating prior to getting married. Perhaps they have already and I've blocked it out (or forgotten with all of the other crap shows I watch). It seems like all of these couples are fighting over fundamental issues that should have been resolved before marriage - Travis' (aka brokedown and dirty Jon Snow- Heaven forehand!) spending, conflicts over when to purchase a home, and which set of parents to live nearest. 

George and Hailee were together for 4 months and admitted unashamedly that sex was a big factor in the marriage decision. 

Travis and Brenda were together for a year and also didn't have sex before marriage. 

Joey and Emma were together for 3 years and had already been having sex. 

• Love 2

George doesn't know how a credit card works? Dear god, these children should not be trusted to fold their own laundry, never mind get married. 

Travis needs new skate shoes like I need a tiara. Brenda showed admirable restraint. And the scene at the grocery store was ridiculous. Why did they not use the calculator function on the phone to keep a running total of what they were buying? Oh, and in other news, Travis is a tool about the football game. Shocker. 

Emma and Joey, I just don't get it. Where's the fire? Joey still cracks me up though.  

• Love 2
On June 29, 2016 at 0:20 AM, VanSensei said:

Aren't Travis and Brenda in student housing?  I think Brenda plans for them to be eating a ton of rice and maybe some beans...it is probably how she grew up. But if Travis is going to spend all their discretionary money on shoes...well... Brenda took it rather well.  Maybe Travis's middle class family is going to have to step up with an allowance...or a bigger one.

And Emma did say that they have saved money for a down payment.  Remember... $800 for rent in rural Oregon is probably not so cheap as it seems to those who live in, say, Portland.  The old man probably wanted to be on TV, so he showed them his house.  Also, contracts sometimes fall through.

Hailey and George seem very much like young Mormon kids I have known. But how can George be so ignorant about money?  not even knowing how credit cards work?  He apparently went on a mission instead of going to college, but Hailey's parents do not seem to have planned for their girls to go to school beyond high school either, which, since the dad is a financial planner, seems odd.    Or, are they attending school and working too?  are they living in Salt Lake City?  Somehow I have missed that detail.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if Joey has narcolepsy?  He seems like he could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. You could start a drinking game with how many times he yawns in an episode. I think it's goofy when a grown man calls himself Joey. 

I canf believe George didn't even know how a savings account worked. I also can't believe hailee's dad would let her marry such an unprepared doofus. She got a job as an executive assistant?  I think the whole Hawaii thing was a setup. He never bought the tickets. 

• Love 1

Right? I feel like I'm insane! How can Hailie, who can barely open a can and doesn't understand savings accounts, get a job as an executive assistant? Most of the EA's I know have college degrees and know stuff. How could they not go on a honeymoon when they first got married but can afford to splash out on a trip to Hawaii now? Why Hawaii? I could even see them going away for a weekend someplace close, or even one of those little "mini vacations" that nice hotels offer, which they could do for not much money but gives them a change of scene. But of course, the only place Haile wants to go is back home, so it doesn't matter. 

• Love 3

God I love this show. It just seems these couples cannot be for real - its mind-blowing really.  Emma's flat affect drives me nuts!  They seem like such a strange couple to me. I cannot believe she is sexually attracted to Joey. They are so young and they already have that parent/child dynamic going on.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

God I love this show. It just seems these couples cannot be for real - its mind-blowing really.  Emma's flat affect drives me nuts!  They seem like such a strange couple to me. I cannot believe she is sexually attracted to Joey. They are so young and they already have that parent/child dynamic going on.

Reason #15,587 that most 18-21 year olds aren't ready to get married. Signed, that demographic!

• Love 2
On 7/3/2016 at 10:37 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Right? I feel like I'm insane! How can Hailie, who can barely open a can and doesn't understand savings accounts, get a job as an executive assistant? Most of the EA's I know have college degrees and know stuff. How could they not go on a honeymoon when they first got married but can afford to splash out on a trip to Hawaii now? Why Hawaii? I could even see them going away for a weekend someplace close, or even one of those little "mini vacations" that nice hotels offer, which they could do for not much money but gives them a change of scene. But of course, the only place Haile wants to go is back home, so it doesn't matter. 

George has made a few comments that strike me as red flags. His comments about not wanting her to rely on her family, wanting her to depend on only him for her emotional needs, taking her far away from her family and not wanting to let her visit them give me the creeps. They don't have amazing jobs, George is only in community college, Hallie didn't have a job when they first married - so why not live in a more neutral location? Why not move to a place neither of them knew anyone? 

I assume that neither of them have ever had any other relationship at all so they don't know how adult relationships (or any relationships, for that matter) work. George seems like a five year old who doesn't want to let anyone to share his new toy (Hallie).

• Love 6
7 hours ago, PityFree said:

George has made a few comments that strike me as red flags. His comments about not wanting her to rely on her family, wanting her to depend on only him for her emotional needs, taking her far away from her family and not wanting to let her visit them give me the creeps. They don't have amazing jobs, George is only in community college, Hallie didn't have a job when they first married - so why not live in a more neutral location? Why not move to a place neither of them knew anyone? 

I assume that neither of them have ever had any other relationship at all so they don't know how adult relationships (or any relationships, for that matter) work. George seems like a five year old who doesn't want to let anyone to share his new toy (Hallie).

I do agree that George has made some comments and done a few things that make me take pause but I thought he said that he had a tech job of some sort that he didn't want to leave which was why they moved near his family. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/2/2016 at 5:59 PM, lazylou said:

Aren't Travis and Brenda in student housing?  I think Brenda plans for them to be eating a ton of rice and maybe some beans...it is probably how she grew up. But if Travis is going to spend all their discretionary money on shoes...well... Brenda took it rather well.  Maybe Travis's middle class family is going to have to step up with an allowance...or a bigger one.

And Emma did say that they have saved money for a down payment.  Remember... $800 for rent in rural Oregon is probably not so cheap as it seems to those who live in, say, Portland.  The old man probably wanted to be on TV, so he showed them his house.  Also, contracts sometimes fall through.

Hailey and George seem very much like young Mormon kids I have known. But how can George be so ignorant about money?  not even knowing how credit cards work?  He apparently went on a mission instead of going to college, but Hailey's parents do not seem to have planned for their girls to go to school beyond high school either, which, since the dad is a financial planner, seems odd.    Or, are they attending school and working too?  are they living in Salt Lake City?  Somehow I have missed that detail.

George is stupid about money because he is a child essentially.  Boys go on their mission at 19 so its possible he had already started college and then took a break.  But here is a novel thought.  Complete your degree THEN get married.  But I saw this with my cousins.  The boys went on their mission at 19 with a 16 year old girl waiting in the wings (that they didn't know REALLY well).  When the boy returned the wedding was within 3 months, pregnant within a year.  

1/2 my family is Mormon and live in Salt Lake City.  My female cousins did go to school but only to find a Mr (you would not be able to tell they made it through the 4th grade based on their writing skills shown in the yearly Christmas letter, HORRIFIC).  My cousins wife actually went to PA school but never used it and became a mom (to many).  I was advising pre-med students at the time and knew how hard it was to get into PA school so I felt she really should have given her spot to someone who was actually going to use the degree.  I don't think wives are expected to work.  My cousins all had hobby jobs once their kids got in school.  They were also big on Amway, Blue Blockers, and other pyramid scheme things.

As someone who moved out at 17 (in 1986 1 month before my 18th bday) and was self supporting at 19 I find the Hailey whinefest REALLY effing irritating.  IF you cannot be apart from your family for any length of time when phones, skype, facetime, etc are all available you are NOT ready to be married.  Probably should have started with summer camp to get used to being away from the bosom of your VERY involved mother.  This couple clearly makes me a little stabby.

Edited by Natalie68
editing
  • Love 4
On 7/27/2016 at 0:16 PM, Natalie68 said:

George is stupid about money because he is a child essentially.  Boys go on their mission at 19 so its possible he had already started college and then took a break.  But here is a novel thought.  Complete your degree THEN get married.  But I saw this with my cousins.  The boys went on their mission at 19 with a 16 year old girl waiting in the wings (that they didn't know REALLY well).  When the boy returned the wedding was within 3 months, pregnant within a year.  

1/2 my family is Mormon and live in Salt Lake City.  My female cousins did go to school but only to find a Mr (you would not be able to tell they made it through the 4th grade based on their writing skills shown in the yearly Christmas letter, HORRIFIC).  My cousins wife actually went to PA school but never used it and became a mom (to many).  I was advising pre-med students at the time and knew how hard it was to get into PA school so I felt she really should have given her spot to someone who was actually going to use the degree.  I don't think wives are expected to work.  My cousins all had hobby jobs once their kids got in school.  They were also big on Amway, Blue Blockers, and other pyramid scheme things.

As someone who moved out at 17 (in 1986 1 month before my 18th bday) and was self supporting at 19 I find the Hailey whinefest REALLY effing irritating.  IF you cannot be apart from your family for any length of time when phones, skype, facetime, etc are all available you are NOT ready to be married.  Probably should have started with summer camp to get used to being away from the bosom of your VERY involved mother.  This couple clearly makes me a little stabby.

As someone who went to a community college then transferred to a state university last year away from home, I agree. I think she'll get used to it.  

• Love 1