Type keyword(s) to search

Center Stage: On Pointe (Lifetime)

(edited)

Anyone else excited for this? I loved Jody Sawyer and everyone else in the original movie. The new one premieres Saturday on Lifetime.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/center-stage-on-pointe-first-look-trailer-204403013.html

Peter Gallagher is back! Welcome to the ABC, bitch!

I just hope this movie has a fantastic dance sequence in which the principal ballerina's outfit and shoes magically change in the middle of the dance.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I can only hope that slut Cooper Nielsen makes an appearance!

He's listed in the cast.  I missed the sequel but will watch this.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
(edited)

Not very realistic and fraught with cliches, although no one was sleeping with the director and no eating disorders. Surprisingly, I think it actually passes the Bechdel Test with flying colors! That is pretty amazing.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 2

I think the story on this is perfect.  So many cliches....handled badly.  And not in a "so bad it's good" kind of bad.  Just boring and bad.

And the dancing didn't impress me whatsoever.  Maybe it's because I think I've seen enough modern contemporary dance for a lifetime from SYTYCD that it takes a lot to impress me.  Using better music might have helped.

And way too little of the old crew. 

• Love 1

This was... pretty terrible. I had (perhaps unrealistic) high hopes about this and sadly, this did not live up to them. There was not nearly enough of the old cast, but at least we got a mention of Jody. Charlie's hair was pretty sad, but Cooper has aged nicely! The rest of is was pretty poorly paced and none of the characters had much depth (not all dissimilar from the first) but even the original didn't feel as rushed and had more heart. I though the middle third was pretty boring-- and I had to laugh at the dancer who left for spreading the rumor; ABC has apparently upped their morality standards because back in the day sleeping with a student didn't you kicked out! 

• Love 2

I watched the first half of this, realized it sucked, and cut my losses. The best part was the commercial in the middle for the movie about a swimmer who sleeps with her coach, who then turns EVIL. That looks like it falls into "so bad it's hilarious" category.

• Love 1

It lacked the charm of the original. I bought that Jody Sawyer had something special that made up for her lack of technique. There was a freshness and joy to her that is appealing Bella, however, doesn't have "it". She came across as more bleak. She just didn't exhibit the joy Jody had when she danced so I really do not get why the guys were hell bent on having her at the camp.

I don't know the credentials of most of this cast but the original was full of ballerina's. It gave an authenticity, and having it take place in NYC made it feel more real. Having this one at some summer camp was just weird.

Clearly they only called it Center Stage so they could get people to watch. There is a strong fan base for the original. I know I watch it whenever I see it's on. But you can't capture that kind of lightening in a bottle twice.

• Love 1

@sunflower12, I totally agree - it's like they were shot using the wrong speed so everything looked almost strobe-like. My impression was that it was to cover up the not-great dancing, because it was... not great. Did I mishear though, or did they claim that Jody Sawyer married Cooper Nielsen? Because... no. (Also, what is with the tv-trope that everyone is going to marry whomever they were dating at 19 years old?)

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Eeksquire said:

Did I mishear though, or did they claim that Jody Sawyer married Cooper Nielsen? Because... no. (Also, what is with the tv-trope that everyone is going to marry whomever they were dating at 19 years old?)

She should have married Cooper.  Sorry Not Sorry but I always liked them better in the original movie even if Cooper was a slut.  Charlie bored me.  But whatever.  No.  They said she married Charlie. 

The Original Center Stage was a hot mess, but it was fun to watch (I can only imagine how many times they must have re-written the script on the fly).  I was the character Jody would dump both those guys, and so I am perplexed that she married Charlie.

Sadly, neither the actors who played Cooper and Charlie have aged well.  It's not an insult, I am truly wondering what may have happened.  Is being a full time dancer so stressful that it ages you?  Did they blow out their knees and can't work out anymore?  Does it just happen to cute guys as they get older?  Peter Gallagher is back too (and either has a mirror in his attic or a great surgeon).  It was nice to see all them, however little screen time they had.

It's a sad, bad show when I am more interested in the icy blonde than the plucky lead.

I know the show had a budget of about $2, but I was still disappointed in the editing and the image quality.  Hopefully the inevitable "Center Stage: Ballet on Ice" will be better.

• Love 1

Sadly, neither the actors who played Cooper and Charlie have aged well.

The costuming was not Charlie's friend - whatever horror of a green chenille hoodie they had him in was AWFUL, not to mention that apparently they couldn't find him a suit that fit decently.

I kept trying to figure out why they cast that actress as the lead?  Was it just because of her pretty face? because she wasn't a great actress or dancer.  Her extensions were terrible.  The constant slow motion during the dancing was annoying.  I also thought it was to cover up the lack of dance.

• Love 1

I didn't see the Turn It Up Sequel. But I am a die hard lover of Center Stage original, which yes, was a much better..movie and I know CS was no work of art but it holds a special place in my heart for reasons. Also, yes, Cooper and Charlie got old. I love that Charlie married Jodi but since she now does actual acting, she has no reason to venture back. Also, this movie was.. not even the hot mess Center Stage was! I needed to hear a line so awesome as, "I AM THE BEST GODDAMN DANCER IN THE AMERICAN BALLET COMPANY, WHO THE HELL ARE YOU? NOBODY!" And nothing even came close to that. This was fairly boring. I am letdown.

It was however nice to see Chloe of Dance Mom's fame for her scenes in this film which all together probably added about 20 minutes, since the story was more on the main girl.

• Love 2

I finally got around to watching this movie & it wasn't nearly as fun as the original. It needed some awesome dance numbers with a costume change instantaneously in the middle of the dance, though they did have everyone in a red costume at the end to remind us of Jodi Sawyer. I was surprised by how many people they had from the original movie, they even had that little clip of the original. Too bad that Cooper Nielson couldn’t find a good barber in all that time.

Part of the problem for me is that I’m over modern dance, I used to watch “So You Think You Can Dance” & one of the reasons I stopped was because I just got sick of modern, contemporary, & jazz dancing. I really wanted to see ballet, & that’s how I felt about this movie, I was really looking forward to the ballet which I didn’t get.

Why were they all at a camp? I must have missed the explanation, but it was weird having this in the woods.

The girl who played Allegra was a good dancer, but a seriously bad actress, not that anyone else was all that great

Why didn’t we ever see Kate Parker dance? They brought her up every 10 minutes as the bestest dancer ever, but we never got to see her dance.

4 hours ago, GaT said:

Part of the problem for me is that I’m over modern dance, I used to watch “So You Think You Can Dance” & one of the reasons I stopped was because I just got sick of modern, contemporary, & jazz dancing. I really wanted to see ballet, & that’s how I felt about this movie, I was really looking forward to the ballet which I didn’t get.

This! What I loved about the original is that, unlike most teen dance movies, it made actual ballet cool. Most dance movies have the ballet dancer wanting something more and getting into contemporary, hip hop, whatever isn't ballet. But Center Stage, these characters wanted to be actual ballerinas! It was great. And then this one comes along and goes with the "Ballet isn't relevant, it isn't cool" storyline and we get a bunch of people flailing around in the woods. Such a disappointment.

It's not surprise my favorite character was the blonde ballet dancer. I really just wanted to watch her dance.

• Love 1