Type keyword(s) to search

Vicious: Series Finale

Episode synopsis: The series finale charts a year in the life of Freddie and Stuart, who enjoy their inheritance and a birthday. Violet, meanwhile, moves on from her divorce; and Ash has big news.

PBS will air the Series Finale on Saturday June 19, 2016.

• Love 1

I was so happy when I noticed my PBS station had a Vicious episode.  I assumed they didn't want to do full seasons any longer and decided they'd just get together and do an hour when they felt like it, so I'm confused about why this must be the "series finale."  A cast of this caliber can undoubtedly write themselves any ticket they like--don't they think they might feel like revisiting these characters again sometime?

They didn't rule out the possibility with a death on the show; I wonder if one of the actors is ill.

Nice that Ash strode off into the future to better himself and that Vi was the one to encourage him.  The "card from Downton Abbey" story was lovely.  The ending with dotty woman and the brother was very sweet.  Little bit odd to find Vi snuggled in at the foot of the bed--I guess that was their way of giving the actress full parity with the two main characters in the closing scene.

Well, goodbye and take care, all; we'll be here if you ever change your minds.

Okay, who else got a little teary-eyed when Ash said his goodbyes?

Especially when he came back and he and Freddie hugged. 

And, they tweeted when it will air in England "Our series finale will be airing during the festive season in the UK on ITV. Consider it our Christmas present, dears." They said it was only fair because "To our fellow Brits, we apologise for making you wait until the festive season. But it's only fair as they had to wait for Downton Abbey". 

• Love 1

The finale reminded me of when Vicar of Dibley had a finale season segmented into "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter". I came away with it being the plots that they wanted to do for a third season for five (six?) episodes, which meant Ash's depature would have spanned two/three episodes.

Anyone else thought that Freddie and Stuart would die in each others' arms and be discovered by Violet?

• Love 1

No, but I'm amazed that Balthazar made it through the end of the finale still allegedly alive. Did he make an appearance in the flashback to when Freddie and Stuart first moved in together? (If I were the writer, I'd have had them reference the new puppy they'd just bought.)

• Love 1

What a sweet ending. So glad there wasn't a death in the finale, this is a comedy, after all.

I like how Penelope opened up about her dottiness. That's one thing that always bothered me, that the whole thing was played for laughs. Her admitting to being scared of the future was a poignant moment, as was the brother comforting her. 

Stuart got the series' final words, "I'm so happy." And he said this while holding Freddie. And with Violet nearby. All is well. 

• Love 3
(edited)

For me the finale was awesome and a very nice wrap up for the show especially sine they kinda got a "new Ash" with the introduction of Elliot near the end (I'm kinda sad there's not going to be another season since it'd be great if Elliot was an aspiring actor and Freddie would become a mentor to him (Elliot would be straight though) and it'd be awesome to have Ash visit for a Christmas episode just to see his jealousy over the new guy, but Freddie and Stuart would reassure him he's still the "favorite son". Also we just know Violet would be coming on to both of them probably trying to have a mange de troi with her.)

Speaking of Ash I was so relived to see Iwan playing Ash this week especially after watching him on Game of Thrones Sunday. Ash and Ramsey....complete mirror opposites and shows what range Iwan has: a complete sweet normal guy on one hand that everybody loved,  on the other a total psychopathic monster that got cheers when he was eaten by his own dogs in the end (and I'm just going to say it, I thoroughly enjoyed the mirror scene for the obvious reasons and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.....)

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 1

Do you mean Oliver from the finale?

I haven't seen the episode yet, but apparently Ash went into full-blown psycho mode when Freddie & Stuart started paying attention to some young personal trainer, so I do get the impression he's VERY invested in being their pseudo-kid.

(edited)

yeah I meant Oliver, but Theo was the personal trainer Ash gay-blackmailed when he was basically ripping Freddie and Stuart off for sessions at the gym. Iwan let a little bit of Ramsey Bolton out on the poor guy. In fact one of his lines went "you're gay, you can hang out with any gays you want. But those two are MINE!!" .

Edited by madhacker
correction of character
  • Love 2
On 6/24/2016 at 0:18 PM, madhacker said:

Also we just know Violet would be coming on to both of them probably trying to have a mange de troi with her.

Mange de troi is one of Balthazar's many afflictions.

Stuart had his eyes closed when they were listening to the radio show and I was really afraid they were going to have him die.

Has Violet's wardrobe always been so violet-themed? I was a little bothered by her talking about going to Italy after she'd just run out of money. Of course, it's always been this way, but the Italy trip turned out to not even factor into the plot.

I would just watch the real actors hanging out, no need for the silly plots.

• Love 1

Well, it's nice to have a finale. I liked that Ash moved away to go to university. BTW, is that a real thing, that a Brit can get a 4-yr grant if they are considered a special needs case?

I loved the wordless beginning where Stuart then Freddie come downstairs and have tea after having had sex. "Like getting back on a bicycle... that's been left in the rain for 20 years." I always love when they sit and cross their legs in unison.

I thought the radio play was pretty funny -- And that sure sounded like Eileen Aikens -- I think my favorite part was when Mason said, "I'm going to cough -- COUGH -- That was the sound."

• Love 2

For some reason I missed this the first time around but my DVR caught it last night. I had no idea the show was coming to an end until after it aired and PBS was advertising the DVD as the Vicious Finale. So sad! There were some truly moving moments in this, especially with Ash saying goodbye to his friends. 

Did we know before that Mason was Freddie's brother? I don't remember them ever mentioning it before.