Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Part 20

At Aguirre's insistence, Marco questions Kevin and Meg about the time frame following the Red Reef Inn murder. Diana comes to a horrible realization.

I love the acting on this show.  The look on John's face when his wife was confronting him was amazing.  He really looked more afraid than when he dealt with Lowry. 

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, Maysie said:

Did Meg sleep with Marco because she got carried away or was it an attempt to manipulate him?

I think it was an attempt to manipulate. But I don't think he buys the story about the person in house being the guy she cheated on him with. Of course now she has the dirt on him about how he got his job to fire back with if need be. 

(edited)

That was final scene was spectacular.  Both for giving Jacinda Barrett more material to do then normal, but for Kyle Chandler's reaction to it.  There is a reason he won an Emmy for Friday Night Lights.  I know Ben Mendelson rightfully got a lot of praise for his role as Danny and is/was my favorite, but Kyle has always been just as great on this show too.  Can't wait to see where this goes.  And John is still keeping secrets from Diana, since he claims no one else knows, even though both Meg and Kevin do (and Ozzy seems to be 99% sure too.)

Kevin did better in the interrogation then I thought he would, but he was no doubt coached to death, and it seemed like Marco really had his eyes more on Meg, and what went down the night before she left for NYC.  Even after sleeping with him and admitting her bad family past, I have a feeling Marco still won't let it go.  Have a feeling her giving him Alex's name will be a big mistake.

Ozzy brings in Chekov's gun!  I have to think someone is going to get shot by that thing before this season ends.

Edited by thuganomics85

Wow,  this episode. Not much "action" per se, but so much story. 

Diana's series of light bulb moments, leading up to her final realization at the domestic violence meeting.

And John's own epiphany at the meeting about his own family dynamic of domestic violence. That's when he makes the statement that underlines the whole show:

"That violence lies within all of us. We're all capable of it." 

I never watched Friday Night Lights, but Kyle Chandler deserves ALL the acting awards for Bloodline. His wordless confession to Diana was brilliant. The stark fear and shame in the way he slumped his shoulders... Damn.... 

• Love 1

Best episode by far this season. Brought me right back in...the humanity. Yes, Meg giving Alec's name- very bad idea. Dumb. She seemed to think he just wanted it out of jealousy when it seemed clear he didn't buy her story and will check up on it.  Loved the last scene.

jacinda Barrett's accent just keeps coming out more and more. 

• Love 2
On 7/8/2016 at 1:27 AM, missy jo said:

Wow,  this episode. Not much "action" per se, but so much story. 

Diana's series of light bulb moments, leading up to her final realization at the domestic violence meeting.

And John's own epiphany at the meeting about his own family dynamic of domestic violence. That's when he makes the statement that underlines the whole show:

"That violence lies within all of us. We're all capable of it." 

I never watched Friday Night Lights, but Kyle Chandler deserves ALL the acting awards for Bloodline. His wordless confession to Diana was brilliant. The stark fear and shame in the way he slumped his shoulders... Damn.... 

He's really good.   He has the charisma of a leading man, but at the same time he's rumpled enough and has  a beleaguered expression that lets him effortlessly fulfill the role of everyman -- different in that way than, say, Jon Hamm as Don Draper.

I was disappointed in the writers that Meg fed Marco such a transparent lie.   Obviously he's going to verify it by calling the guy from Rescue Me and asking his whereabouts on the night in question.   Meg mustn't be a very good lawyer judging by her performance in the interrogation and the booty call.   I was hoping  that when the Rayburns are finally undone (even though I personally want to see them get away with it), it would be the result of a slowly unraveling thread -- a subtle, unexpected detail, something they missed in all their careful plotting -- not because Meg-Who-Owns-One-Outfit concocted a stupid fib on the fly.

Kevin, meanwhile, was perfect in his performance for Marco.  I liked that reversal.  I figured Kevin would choke but Meg would clean up the mess afterward.

As far as I'm concerned, Ozzy has no place being in this story.  He's an add-on, an afterthought written in to agitate and move the story forward but who has no real connection to the first season.    Plus Leguizamo annoys me, always has.

Oh, and how about John's daughter, Jane?   I cheered when Sally slapped her.    The girl had it coming.  I know she's supposed to be a teenager but her arrogance was way over the top, not to mention that whatever happened between her father, his siblings and his parents 30 years ago is none of her damn business.   Seriously, can you imagine being 15 and getting in your grandmother's face to accuse her of abusing her now-grown children?  NFW.   Then Jane just blows into her parents' bedroom and starts rifling through John's stuff.   I don't know about anybody else, but when I was growing up my parents' bedroom was hallowed ground.   You had to have a pretty good reason to go in there -- and openly ransacking your dad's bureau wasn't one of them.

It's a great show.   I have been watching one episode a week, on Sunday night.   You know, I think it's better than bingeing.   It gives you time to think about each episode before moving on to the next.   And the fun lasts longer too.

• Love 9
(edited)

OMG. These people are just terrible. I simply couldn't believe it when Meg tried to use sex and emotional blackmail to get Marco to back off. I say tried, because Marco is still worrying away at her testimony. I don't think he's going to give up that easily.

They all lie with such fluency. Lies just leap off their tongues. Even screwup Kevin puts on a show for Marco, almost breaking down, then going with the new script about why he lied about the boat. Lies about lies. Meg and John lie so often that it's like an automatic response to any question. It says a lot that I currently sympathize most with Kevin, out of the Rayburn family. 

Even the people who are supposedly the good people, the innocents, are unpleasant. Diana is sanctimonious (especially about her role as mother), so even when I think she's right, the smug, nasty way she acts makes me dislike her. Janey is a brat. Sally seems to be realizing her mistakes, and owning up to them, but it's way after the fact.

I see the show's been renewed for a 3rd season, but I can't imagine the Rayburns escaping justice for another 13 episodes. Diana knows, Ozzy suspects, Marco is probably going to find this Alex and bust Meg's testimony. Kevin could crack any day - for that matter, John could crack. The look on his face in that final scene.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 1

The Meg and Marco cat-and-mouse game is excellent.  In the scene at his house, I think there were real feelings on both sides; Meg truly does hate her family and wishes she could leave, and her breakdown was real; yet she also went there for the express purpose of manipulating Marco.  Marco may have been responding genuinely to her outpouring of actual truth; but he also apparently knew she was trying to distract him (whether he realized it before or after the sex, hard to say).  He jumped right back on the interrogation train without missing a beat.  (As others have pointed out, Meg was stupid to give him a name and he will obviously check the dates that guy was in Florida).

I can NOT figure out who to root for at this point.  I don't need to root for anyone in all shows/stories, but it's quite a change from last season where I thought, for much of the time, that John was the "good guy".  This season even Marco has a shady past!  Hmm...maybe Nolan?  He has an attitude problem but doesn't seem to have really done anything wrong.  

Janie is an annoying brat.  No way would I be calling out my grandparents for how they raised their children (on the other hand, my grandparents never acted like they were the heads of an inn-owning royal dynasty).  I'm okay with her pointing out that Nolan should be expected at a family gathering, but the rest of it was a bit over-the-top.  In her defense, the grown-ups need to come up with a better answer for her than "there are things you don't understand".  That's not going to cut it.

• Love 3
On 7/11/2016 at 7:08 PM, millennium said:

As far as I'm concerned, Ozzy has no place being in this story.  

I'm just getting caught up with the series, and so much this!  The story didn't need Ozzy; not only is he sleazy and kind of disgusting, but portraying him as this outstanding con artist, who knew what game he was going to play the minute he laid eyes on John for the first time, is unrealistic.

And what was the point of  Eric O'Bannon very obviously holding that rock behind his back during his conversation with Ozzy?  I really hoped he'd killed him off-screen, so was very sorry when he wasn't dead. I wonder if we're supposed to remember that scene when Ozzy does actually get killed. 

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 2
On 8/22/2016 at 10:22 AM, MaryPatShelby said:

The story didn't need Ozzy; not only is he sleazy and kind of disgusting, but portraying him as this outstanding con artist, who knew what game he was going to play the minute he laid eyes on John for the first time, is unrealistic.

No, they didnt need Ozzy. And, as you said MaryPatShelby, they made him way too smart. Also, please, make him keep his clothes on,,,,eeeww.

• Love 2
On 8/22/2016 at 8:22 AM, MaryPatShelby said:

And what was the point of  Eric O'Bannon very obviously holding that rock behind his back during his conversation with Ozzy? 

That happened in Episode 21, not this one. And yeah, that was strange. I guess he lost his nerve..

On 7/11/2016 at 2:30 PM, betha said:

Best episode by far this season. Brought me right back in...the humanity. Yes, Meg giving Alec's name- very bad idea. Dumb. She seemed to think he just wanted it out of jealousy when it seemed clear he didn't buy her story and will check up on it.  Loved the last scene.

jacinda Barrett's accent just keeps coming out more and more. 

I immediately thought Marco was playing Meg more so than vice versa.  

When Diana was saying "Danny" I thought, "the only time I've heard 'Danny' said quite like that was by Olivia Newton John in Grease,"