Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12 Discussion

• Start Topic

Episode 1

Performers: Wayne Brady, Gary Anthony Williams, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles
Special Guest: Alfonso Ribeiro

Games Performed: Questions, Duet, Dubbing, Scenes From a Hat, Living Scenery, Doo W**

Episode 2

Performers: Wayne Brady, Keegan-Michael Key, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles
Special Guest: none

Games Performed: Weird Newscasters, Scenes From a Hat, Infomercial, Irish Drinking Song, Helping Hands, Doo W**

(Sigh) So glad after my long hiatus from this forum I can go back to talking about this season's Whose Line season. I was anticipating the guest less episode (since it's inevitable that the show would heavily rely on celebrity guests, to my distaste, personally), and as of now it's a solid episode. Treading through usual grounds with Keegan, whom I am glad to see adjusting himself in the cast and definitely shining this episode, most of the games were pretty solid. Albeit, Keegan and Ryan's spaghetti kiss wasn't as epic (and awkward [and messy]) as the one with Kathy Greenwood and Ryan, but I guess the show has come a long way since 2 guys kissing has been a common trope in the show. Not that I mind. ;)

I cannot wait to see what this season has in store for us WL fans (though my head is drifting ahead into the future with guests I do want to see on the show. And no, not just Drew or #BringBackNashville Charles Esten [please be a celebrity guest or something in future tapings to promote your resurrection from cancellation campaign] T_T)

Alfonso Ribeiro should be on his knees every night, thanking Dancing With The Stars for reviving his career. That said, he was fun to watch in Duet. And I would pay real money to see Colin, Ryan and Betty White line dancing.

Glad this show is back.

I really enjoyed this episode!

Alfonso was engaged and seemed to enjoy himself quite a bit. I loved his reactions to Colin in Dubbing; such great side-eye.

It was cool to have Questions and Scenes From a Hat in the same show, though I hope it doesn't happen too often. Both are fun, and I enjoy them, but let's see something like Party Quirks, Song Styles or Sound Effects as well. Think of the possibilities of having Alfonso join in on Song Styles with Wayne and Gary.

It was a great episode to come back with and I am excited for the season!

• Love 1

I am pretty glad whenever Keegan-Michael Key is on my TV, but last night seemed a little more goofy. (Not a bad thing, imo.)

Maybe after Colin destroyed the other guys with that weird half-mask, and seeing the other three just give up, everything seemed just a bit more loosey-goosey and ( almost) willing to go anywhere.

Weird Newscasters? "Drop and give me 20!" was my favorite thing. Wayne was fun with his 'America's Got Talent' sports report, as well. KMK's reaction to the sports segment made me laugh too.

Freaking Helping Hands, though. While not one of the best goes, KMK was a trouper. He and Ryan were able to keep the scene from being 'How-many-gross-things-can-we-stick-into-Ryan's-mouth?' I was able to watch most of the segment, so that's a huge step up from most of the HH outings.

I enjoyed that we got DooWop in this episode and the previous one! Pasta away, indeed!

So glad the show is back!

I didn't even know the show was back, I just saw it on my DVR, but this was a great return. The celebrity guests don't necessarily have to be a bad thing, they just need to have ones who do more than just stand there, and Alfonso was great, especially in Duet. And I just felt bad for poor Wayne in Living Scenery.

• Love 1

I was really surprised they did Helping Hands in a celebrity guestless episode, which was disappointing. I was thrilled they did an Irish Drinking song, although I was sad Colin and Ryan switched places in it because Colin would always say the funniest things when he had the last line. But all in all I enjoyed this one too and am just glad it's back.

• Love 1

I agree that Alfonso was really good. 

Sometimes Living Scenery works for me, sometimes it doesn't. Here it didn't. I'm really tired of the sexual stuff. There really can be humor in making people props in tamer ways, esp when the prop-person is doing a questionable job and C or R make fun of them. Another thing I didn't like about this one was that Wayne wasn't being a prop all the time. He kept trying to be an alien. At least C & R turned it around to be a vending machine or whatever.

In Questions Only I don't like when the second person doesn't say something in response to the first questioner. Like Ryan (or Colin) came out and asked something, then Wayne asked a completely unrelated question. That's not the way to play it.

I didn't like SFAH all that much except for Gary's "TADA!" bit with identifying the body.

• Love 1

Looked to me like Ryan was pretty tired of Helping Hands, too. I liked Keegan's interactions and esp the character he created. The voice was great.

I always love Colin's puns. "I'm Benedick but trying to be nicer." Keegan's character was good. I love that when he told Colin to drop and give him fifth, Colin got down on his knees and counted out money. Then Keegan asked for 20 but in twos. *sigh* I miss Key & Peele.

In SFAH, I'm really tired of all the variations of "Things to can say to [blank] that you can't say to your partner." However, I did like Colin's "How big a tip should I leave?" and Ryan's "I'm gonna need a doggy bag." Keegan's race announcer bit was excellent.

Only downside to me was Living Scenery - I just hate that game. 

It is getting closer to Helping Hands territory, with the same tired sex gags. Like Ryan and the "map", pointing the deep canyon, a.k.a. Wayne's butt crack. If the guys can't do better than the same old same old, find another game or stop doing that one. It's just that Wayne rarely gets to be one of the scenery movers, so it feels unfair, imo.

Wayne and Jeff singing while doing yoga poses for the win.  Also Karla Souza easily going into the splits, wow.  I couldn't take the heat of hot yoga when I tried it, but I might have to try it again.  I've recently noticed I lost more flexibility than I'd care to.

"Oh, we've all heard about the penis!"

• Love 1

I do love Jeff Davis <3

I can't believe it, last episode an Irish Drinking Song then this episode a Hoedown. I figure the cast's hate for them is why they're such rarities, and maybe possibly that so much of Ryan's material came from making fun of Drew, but it's a nice treat when they bring back the seldom done games. Is it awful if I'm getting kind of tired of Scenes From A Hat? At least there was no "Things you can say about _____ that you can't say about your partner."

I like Scenes from a Hat as long as they don't do the same types of scenes over and over, like "things you can say about". I enjoyed the "Songs from the musical 'Aisha'" quite a bit.

Was this one the green screen bit (I can't remember the name of that one) with the snakes? I always ask Mr. DVD to tell me what it is, and then decide if I'm going to watch it, because there's at least a 50% chance it'll be something like snakes, that may give me nightmares later.

I'm pretty much here for the improvised songs and anything with Wayne. This one did not disappoint.

• Love 1

I love Jeff Davis, too, but I didn't really love this ep except for Let's Make a Date. Wayne's munchkin voice amazed me. It sounded like he'd inhaled helium. I liked Colin's blind gondolier, esp when he said, "I didn't see THAT coming." Ryan does a good chicken, and I liked him sitting on Colin's and then Wayne's bald heads.

Duet was ok. I'm not a fan of the guests doing too much in the song. I prefer to hear the singers come up with lyrics.

SFAH was pretty poor. There were only two suggestions, and I didn't think any of the stuff was all that funny. Plus I'm a big grump when it comes to involving Aisha in the game.

Living Scenery... Ugh. Again Wayne and the guest make the mistake of being living (or semi-living) creatures instead of props. What was Karla trying to be? I liked Ryan saying she was an Egyptian bat cat or something. I mean really, let Colin & Ryan lead the way.

Hoedown was ok.

• Love 1

In the Star Wars thing, I wish Aisha didn't say who she was. It wasn't necessary.

I liked the date game. I forgot what the specifics of each characters were, but it was fun.

I don't know Kaitlin, but I liked her. However, the Dubbing, usually one of my favorites, wasn't all that great .

• Love 1

Not that I think the games, overall, aren't still funny but I really wish they'd mix them up more. I was watching with my brother and we could predict every game they'd play and what order they'd be played in.

• Love 1

I agree that it'd be nice to see some more variety in the games... I miss party quirks and the bad superhero one they used to do on the original WL all the time. I also tend to prefer the quick thinking games like scenes from a hat or worlds worst... props used to always be a favorite of mine too, so I don't mind that one.

So sick of all of the singing things, I think just because they are so overdone. Living scenery and helping hands should definitely take a big break...

Some of the green screen stuff they have done, or the on the floor thing they were doing a few seasons ago was at least a change of pace...

Granted none of this is enough to make me stop watching, but it'd be fun if they shook things up a bit.

• Love 2
(edited)

Bringing Cedric the Entertainer in to do Questions just show how much skill the real improv folks have. He was really bad at it. I wonder if the reason he didn't join the regulars in reading the credits at the end is that he was either mad or embarrassed by how little he added to the show.

I really love it when they bring in the audience to participate. I'm probably crossing over episodes (how many were new?) but I really enjoyed the sound effect ladies as well as the Riverdance and Beyoncé backup dancers and the freak show (especially the guy lifting the stage.)

Edited by Good Queen Jane
improv, not improve (darn autocorrect)
(edited)

I wasn't looking forward to Lolo since she seemed like a beyotch on Dancing With The Stars, but I really enjoyed her on this show. Duets was a lot of fun and I couldn't stop laughing during Director's Choice (is that what it is called?). Loved the opera horror movie. Now if the CW would only decide on a permanent time for the show, maybe more people would watch it.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 2
(edited)

So glad there was no Helping Hands or Scenes from a Hat, which I just needed a break from the latter. I thought they came up with good lines in hoedown but they seemed out of practice with the timing (maybe if they do more hoedowns, they won't be rusty).

IA on the scheduling, first for the few weeks off then not even coming back on the same night. If I didn't have this on my DVR, I'd never know to watch.

Edited by Winter Rose
  • Love 1

Yeah, at least no Helping Hands, but I'm SOOOOO tired of Living Scenery, esp the tiresome, repetitive sexual jokes. 

I often like Dubbing, but it seems like the premise is always the same: Ryan is with a woman (the guest), and Wayne is the jealous girlfriend who happens by. They need to do something different.

In Hollywood Director, wasn't Jeff supposed to be the woman? Ryan was completely mixed up. Anyway, I think my favorite part of this was the Vegas entertainment bit, esp when Wayne came in, morphing his chainsaw bit into an Elvis impression.

• Love 1

I just watched the most recent episode. I only occasionally watch this show because I hate that they play what seems like the same games every episode and I don't like the special guests. I think this episode, almost every game they had with the guest was Colin, Ryan, and Wayne. What's the point of even having the fourth chair if they're just going to sit out most of the time? Especially a fourth chair as funny as Jeff Davis? And why don't they do World's Worst where they line up on the step and just step out to do their joke. It's weird having them be on the sides. This show has so much potential. The original British Whose Line and the first American Whose Line were so good! This version just isn't.

• Love 1
On July 15, 2016 at 4:32 PM, DeepPoet117 said:

This show has so much potential. The original British Whose Line and the first American Whose Line were so good! This version just isn't.

I see that quote and raise you an eyebrow of critique. Much as I despise the special guests gimmick in this season, it's the only way to lure in a broader audience. This is an era where millennials will look up to and follow their favorite celebrities and personalities, and the CW is trying to capitalize with the evolving demographics. I just wish they could book or rotate around better celebrities who can participate with the other improvisers and also be endearing and charmingly funny. Seriously, I've been trying to ask at times why they couldn't book Charles Esten, a veteran of the show turned country super hunk with a strong Nashville following and currently promoting his new single, to give them the ratings boost AND please the veteran viewers who enjoyed his improvised songs and moves.

With that said, I agree they need to utilize Jeff more, which explains his underdog, underground following (myself included). Though on rare occasion he has participated with the guest, he's not really used to the potential that matches Wayne, Colin and Ryan status, and I KNOW how ridiculously funny, talented, and let's just say attractive he is. I also agree they need to shake up the scenarios better because they sound almost the same. It's already convenient the audience provides suggestions but in the long run, that input takes 25% of the overall suggestions. My suggestion is to expand the audience participation; if the show wants to limit the audience to Sounds Effects and sometimes another random game that involves more than one person, then they should utilize them for better scenarios.

On the bright side, in future episodes there will be more Jeff-centered episodes as well as Brad taking over for Ryan in some episodes so there is a little refreshing shift in rotating the cast. 

• Love 1

Oh I hadn't heard that about Ryan sitting out. Gosh, CW deviating from the formula? So brave.

So as is typical in a week with no celeb guests, this was a great episode. I love seeing Jonathan and Wayne together, since they click in a way that pushes Wayne differently than the others do. And he's always all-in on gags, as we saw.

On 7/15/2016 at 7:32 PM, DeepPoet117 said:

And why don't they do World's Worst where they line up on the step and just step out to do their joke.

My guess would be that Scenes from a Hat is similar enough, with more flexibility. And for whatever reason the producers are addicted to that game. So even though means a constant stream of "things you can say", I'm just glad it's not more Helping Hands.

My favorite game is Greatest Hits, so I am always glad when it appears. The ska bit was amazing as was the Bob Dylan/Swedish Chef duet. I wonder how much time Wayne/whoever get to prepare. If they show it in real time, I am very impressed.

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

My favorite game is Greatest Hits, so I am always glad when it appears. The ska bit was amazing as was the Bob Dylan/Swedish Chef duet. I wonder how much time Wayne/whoever get to prepare. If they show it in real time, I am very impressed.

I agree. Also, they didn't let the songs go on to long this week. Sometimes, they only get in two.

2 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I can't believe Jonathon tore his jacket and ended up showing his (very) tighty whities!  Loved the call back at the end though, and even Wayne dropped trou.  

The entire episode had running gags about both the ripped jacket and tighty whities. Lots of side eye about that.

And in props: "Exterminate!" Love any Dr. Who reference.

(edited)

No Helping Hands or Living Scenery!! And I have a feeling it's because there was no celebrity guest, so they didn't have to limit the games to what the guest would be able to do. It was so nice to see Props and Newsflash again (even if I'm always a little wary at what the video they'll show in Newsflash is). I have to admit the one with the baby being born in Props was creative, complete with Wayne putting shoes on his hands.

I love Greatest Hits too. More than the singing, I love Ryan and Colin's banter.

Poor Jonathan's jacket... and losing his pants. He was a good sport though.

Edited by Winter Rose

Newsflash was weak this episode. Not very funny and they didn't seem to know how to feed him clues for most of it, or even what to say.

Other than that, one of the best episodes in awhile! Everyone brought their A game and I laughed a whole lot. Greatest Hits was fantastic. 

If anyone wants to feel the nostalgia of the first US adaptation of Whose Line and doesn't mind underwear exposure, tell them to watch this episode. And if anyone is interested in joining Improv but fearing that they'll lose their dignity, skip to Jonathan exposing his tighty-whiteys. 

Now if there was a quote that really hit the coffin and ripped my heartstrings it would be Colin's from Greatest Hits: "No Emmy again this year". Yea, that was a really funny response to Ryan but it did remind me that long before Wayne won an Emmy for his performance during the previous US adaptation. Kinda depresses me that Whose Line hasn't been in the Emmys running since its revival because this show is genuine and has heightened Improv as a reputable art beyond the stage. Now they're hanging tight on viewerships using celebrities as a demographics gimmick to compete against other networks, cable or not. Colin's quote resonates poignantly to the reality of television and pop culture itself.

• Love 1
On July 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM, ae2 said:

Newsflash was weak this episode. Not very funny and they didn't seem to know how to feed him clues for most of it, or even what to say.

I agree that it wasn't very funny, but Jonathan and Ryan fed him lots of clues - "Thanks, chum," "Cod bless you," a few eel puns.

My two favorites games this ep were Props and Greatest Hits. Ryan & Jonathan's "Exterminate!" was great, but I liked King Kong climbing the Empire State Building better. Colin & Wayne had a bunch I liked -- Wayne as a baby being born, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, "It's butter!" I'm curious about something, though. Actually, a couple of things. As Colin is holding the yellow thing up like a skirt, Wayne says something like, "Honey, you can't fit into the same size as in high school," and the audience did a big "Oooooo!" The joke didn't seem to warrant that response. And then Colin says, "Fuck you, Wilbur," which I thought was really random. Later Wayne does the Wright Bros bit, calling Colin Orville, and Colin says, "Fuck you, Wilbur." It seems like this must have been reordered.

As for Greatest Hits, that was fun. I enjoyed the Ska song, and Wayne turning into a werewolf during the Les Miz song, but Bob Dylan and The Swedish Chef singing was really great. One criticism I have is that Jonathan shouldn't have said anything that was intelligible. 

• Love 1

July 26, 2016

Episode 8
Wayne Brady, Jeff Davis, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles, Joey Fatone 
Games Performed: Hollywood Director, Duet (with audience members), Dubbing, Scenes from a Hat, Helping Hands

Episode 9
Wayne Brady, Greg Proops, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles, Tamera Mowry
Games Performed: Scenes from a Hat, Song Styles, Themed Restaurant, Props, Helping Hands

Looks like there's another episode tomorrow.  They're scheduling is so deranged.

Ep 8 - Hollywood Director - Chippendale Squirrels.  Hee!  Good thing Colin cut that fast though.

Ep 9 - Tamara just wowed me with Song Styles.

Once again (well, twice again) the songs ran too long. 

Both guests did three segments. Apparently Greg was also in one of these episodes.

Wayne looked great in the suit after dressing (relatively) down in the first episode. 

The cast was really creative with the props tonight. Making the hot dog was hilarious and unexpected. 

14 hours ago, ae2 said:

Wayne looked great in the suit after dressing (relatively) down in the first episode. 

To be fair his shirt seems like an updated style choice from his earlier Whose Line Days. The same for Jeff.

14 hours ago, ae2 said:

Once again (well, twice again) the songs ran too long. 

If I may defend at least one of the duets (or should be really called Song Styles with Joey in the fray?), at least I'm more invested in the Joey Fatone one, the obvious reason being they stepped it up a bit on the format, AND BRINGING A MEMBER OF THE AUDIENCE TO BE SERENADED THANK GAWD!!!!! 3-4 seasons in and the show FINALLY took them long enough to do that. And using Joey's credentials as a previous boy band member justifies the twist, although I can do without the roasting humor, mostly the Timberlake jokes. Come to think of it, didn't Wayne (and I guess Jonathan) have previous connections with Timberlake?

Also, respect to the audience guy, Eric, for being a shy, but good sport who will probably be scarred (or blissfully thankful) for life after he was groped and caressed by Wayne, Jeff and Joey.

Seriously, WHY HAVEN'T THE WHOSE LINE SINGERS NOT FORMED A BOY BAND YET WITH A COMPLIMENTARY ALBUM?

• Love 2

I'm just catching up on episodes 3-9. It is shameful that I let all this sit on my DVR. On the upside, this has been a super funny Friday night.

I loved all the eps with Hollywood Director and Duets. The Swedish Chef/Bob Dylan duet was the shit.

Living Scenery should die a quick and painful death. I also really hate Aisha jumping in on the games - it makes me irrationally angry for some reason.

YNB was good. Kaitlin was pretty good. Lolo was just meh. Joey Fatone was awesome, good improvisation. Tamera was also pretty good. I guess if they have to have the guests, at least they seem to be getting better.

And, as always: Jeff Davis - call me!

(edited)

ITA about Aisha jumping in on the games. It makes me angry too. 

I did not like Fatone participating in Song Styles, Duets, or whatever it was. Excuse the pun, but it took a while for him to get in sync. Plus, three guys singing was too many chefs. I also did not like the guy from the audience. 

However, I thought Fatone was very good in Dubbing. 

I was out of town and so surprised to find three WLs on my DVR. I don't think I finished the second one yet, and I've still got the third one to enjoy. Or hate. Nah, not completely. At least, apparently, there isn't a guest star.

ETA - So I watched the rest of the Tamera ep, which was just Helping Hands. That's one of my least favorite games, but she was enjoyable. And I liked the end credits bit just for Colin and Ryan.

But then the third ep on my DVR was a recording of a Penn & Teller show. Oh well.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

ITA about Aisha jumping in on the games. It makes me angry too. 

More so than the painstakingly forced edits of her reactions in between games? I have to politely disagree that Aisha participating in the game doesn't bug or anger me as much as the editor who keeps pointlessly cutting Aisha's reactions during a game regardless of her expression. At least her participation fills the female inclusion void now that Nyima Funk doesn't show up much anymore.

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I did not like Fatone participating in Song Styles, Duets, or whatever it was. Excuse the pun, but it took a while for him to get in sync. Plus, three guys singing was too many chefs. I also did not like the guy from the audience. 

I'm assuming boy bands improvising songs aren't your cup of tea. If you ever come across Drew Carey's Improvaganza, avoid as much episodes as possible because there are plenty of trio songs scattered throughout, especially episode 25 (believe me, I know cuz I went to that taping). Once more, agree to disagree, though I will strike out the "duet" for dragging a bit too long.

As for the audience guy, who is named Eric, give him a break. It's been a while since the US revival bothered to bring audience members to participate and the guy was the first; he was just shy and scared that three guys were about to sing to him. He was also refreshing to be pulled out after a repeating pattern of the woman being serenaded almost all the time in the first US Whose Line and Improvaganza. He's not the ideal choice, but you got to at least acknowledge the small victories of the show trying to include the audience to make up for the lack of it the last few seasons.

Edited by The Luvly Junkie
  • Love 2

I don't have a problem with Aisha jumping in either. In the Drew Carey years, the episodes ended with him being in one of the games. I'm not expecting it to get to that point with Aisha but involving the host is nothing new. I think it shows she's become more comfortable in the role, which is a good thing. I also don't think it's unlike involving an audience member or a celebrity guest (and my only big objection there is it leads to the same games being played over and over again).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, The Luvly Junkie said:

More so than the painstakingly forced edits of her reactions in between games? I have to politely disagree that Aisha participating in the game doesn't bug or anger me as much as the editor who keeps pointlessly cutting Aisha's reactions during a game regardless of her expression.

Yeah, I think her participating in games bugs me more than the editing, though I'm not crazy about that either. Maybe my dislike of it is because she's the host, not one of the improvisers. I can't remember if Drew, on his WL, would jump into the games from behind the desk. I know he was IN games, but did he ever leave the desk to play? However, the more I learned about him, the more I liked him as a host. I don't think I've seen Aisha as herself in anything where I liked her, so that's a big stumbling block for me.

I'm assuming boy bands improvising songs aren't your cup of tea. If you ever come across Drew Carey's Improvaganza, avoid as much episodes as possible because there are plenty of trio songs scattered throughout, especially episode 25 (believe me, I know cuz I went to that taping). Once more, agree to disagree, though I will strike out the "duet" for dragging a bit too long.   

I saw Improvaganza when it was on a few years ago. Is it coming back? Anyway, off the top of my head, I don't remember trios, but I don't doubt that there were some. My main issue with Fatone was that I felt he was a bad improviser. As I said, as it went on, he seemed to get better. 

I do remember with Drew's WL that sometimes a normal 2-person game would be played with 3 people, and I didn't like it. The third person was getting shunted off to the side.

As for the audience guy, who is named Eric, give him a break. It's been a while since the US revival bothered to bring audience members to participate and the guy was the first; he was just shy and scared that three guys were about to sing to him. He was also refreshing to be pulled out after a repeating pattern of the woman being serenaded almost all the time in the first US Whose Line and Improvaganza. He's not the ideal choice, but you got to at least acknowledge the small victories of the show trying to include the audience to make up for the lack of it the last few seasons.

He didn't look shy to me. Maybe I didn't read it right, but I thought he was acting too much. Frankly, I enjoy audience volunteers when they are obviously enjoying themselves, laughing or being embarrassed, rather than when they seem like a professional actor.

Edited by peeayebee
formatting