Type keyword(s) to search

Frequency - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

So did Raimy think she could get away with killing Nightengale because Frank was going to kill him in the past. That seems pretty risky considering how well all their other plans haven't worked out.

I guess she's never watched 11.22.63, in which fate pushes back against attempted history manipulations by time travelers in the past.

Also, present day Raimy's trust in her dad to kill the Nightingale paralleled 90s little girl Raimy leaving her clarinet in his car on purpose (we see her look back at the case on the back seat before she gets out of the car), seemingly trusting that her dad will bring it to her concert. 

Edited by shapeshifter
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is Deacon/Nightingale a time traveler? He looks the same age in the 90s as he does in the present days.

That would actually be an intriguing turn of events. The step-daughter character also looks exactly the same as she did 20 years ago.

I think the truth is they just really f'd up the casting for this show or they blew their budget on something and can't afford any make-up artists.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:33 PM, KaveDweller said:

So did Raimy think she could get away with killing Nightengale because Frank was going to kill him in the past. That seems pretty risky considering how well all their other plans haven't worked out.

Yup and once again it backfired.

38 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I like the cop guy. So much better than shitty Daniel. I don't know what Raimy sees in him.

Considering her family, her tastes run in the family.

• Love 1

There is no official word that Frequency and No Tomorrow, two of the freshman shows introduced to the CW's slate last fall, have been canceled by the network. But we really only need to read between the lines to notice that their exclusion from the renewal announcement isn't good news. For one thing, it shows that the CW may not currently have faith in either shows, something that they've previously demonstrated in the past. No Tomorrow, an apocalyptic dramedy, and Frequency, a time travel drama, also weren't given back orders for additional episodes of their premiere seasons. Each show will end Season 1 with 13 episodes, the last of which will air in January. If there was ever a time to announce a second season, now would be the time.

The freshman shows also don't generate high ratings, something of a necessity in the TV game. Frequency, for instance, only generates an average rating of 0.29 in the coveted 18-49 demographic. It had a solid premiere with 1.3 million viewers, but viewership has dwindled since then and the show has not been able to reclaim those numbers. No Tomorrow is in a similar situation, barely bringing in half of the viewership from its season opener.

If there's one silver lining in this scenario, it's Netflix, the Garden of Eden for struggling TV shows. The CW has a deal with Netflix wherein all of the network's shows will be available for streaming eight days after their respective season finales air. That means No Tomorrow and Frequency will soon be on Netflix, and if viewership is high (or at least acceptable), the CW could opt to renew the shows for another season. The network could just be playing the waiting game to see how things are going to play out. That's by no means a guarantee, but it's hope for any fans out there.

Why The CW's Renewals Are Bad News For Two Shows

Too bad this show most likely won't make it to Season 2.  Do you guys think that the deacon is actually NOT the Nightingale but a murderer who murdered his wife and stepson?

I like Peyton List - didn't really know her before, but I think she can act and so can the guy who plays her dad Frank.

I'm wondering if maybe the Nightingale is that missing stepson, since all the flashbacks to his and the sister's abuse at the hands of the Deacon are all taking place three years before Frank's time, where he looks like he's about 12. In 1996, he'd be about 15, capable of being a budding serial killer and the mom was a nurse, correct? Possibly blaming her for his abuse and subsequently targeting nurses.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I'm wondering if maybe the Nightingale is that missing stepson, since all the flashbacks to his and the sister's abuse at the hands of the Deacon are all taking place three years before Frank's time, where he looks like he's about 12. In 1996, he'd be about 15, capable of being a budding serial killer and the mom was a nurse, correct? Possibly blaming her for his abuse and subsequently targeting nurses.

I'm expecting a twist like that too, everything has been too straightforward even in the killer reveal so far.

“We had no intention of going beyond 13,” CW President Mark Pedowitz said this morning during his Executive Session of the TCA Winter Press Tour. “We knew we had five midseason shows to launch, four returning and Riverdale. We also knew that as an attempt to get in all of the programming, to have year‑around original programming, it was important to do that. So unless something extraordinary happened, there was never an intent to go beyond 13,” he admitted.

“That said, I think both shows are very well done. They are very well executed,” he continued. “Whether it’s the fall presidential election, whether it was the World Series, whether it was This Is Us in connection with No Tomorrow, the linear numbers are not where we wanted them to be. We are seeing some digital numbers. And the nice thing now for us is, with the new digital strategy for The CW TV and having a Netflix deal, we’ll be able to judge whether or not there’s a binge moment and see whether or not, come May, whether or not we should bring them back. There is no ‘no’ yet. So we’ll see what happen,” he optimistically said.

TCA: The CW’s Pedowitz Discusses Frequency, No Tomorrow Futures

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Free said:

I'm expecting a twist like that too, everything has been too straightforward even in the killer reveal so far.

If this is the twist they take plot-wise, I would expect Frank's attempt(?) to kill the deacon to be the butterfly that prevents Raimy from shooting him in our time. Or not.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

If this is the twist they take plot-wise, I would expect Frank's attempt(?) to kill the deacon to be the butterfly that prevents Raimy from shooting him in our time. Or not.

It has to be something the timeline have barely been touched upon in the last few episodes.

I was really wishing they would have at least had the present day deacon have gray hair. I realize he's into hair dye, and my 83-year-old uncle dies his hair and beard, but there is no way he could be 20 years younger. So. Was the brother in present day last scene also a deacon? Played by the same actor that plays 1990s deacon? I was watching a small TV from across the room, and the scene was really dark. 

Present day Deacon did have a gray beard. Then he shaved it off. 

Present day brother was a different actor.

Present day Me was very confused by this episode. That's what I get for playing with my phone while it was on. I may have to rewatch it.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks, @kariyaki !

At least I was able to follow the altered present scenario. Sort of. I guess things didn't change until the 1990s Deacon got out of the trunk?

Yup, the different timelines was finally brought back.

• Love 1

It's never a good sign when the new episode comes out, and the one before still sits on my disk, unwatched.  

Anyway, I'm all caught up now, except I don't really know if I've got it all straight in my head!

• Love 2

Not had much to say in here, recently, because the show hasn't even been paying lip-service to the use of amateur radio in the last few episodes.  The equipment has become a hardly-seen gizmo that lets them talk to one another across time with what sounds like 100% fidelity and 0% effort.  They don't even sit at the microphone and/or press a PTT button any more.  The unit may look like it's one teensy step past Spark apparatus, but it's capabilities are more advanced than any ham gear I've ever seen!

One of the things that caught my eye (ear?) in the original Star Wars movie back in 1977 and impressed me with it's realism, was that you could tell by listening, that the X-Wing fighters communicated via SSB, which you could detect by the way the drift in the local oscillators caused received voices to drift up and down in pitch.  Would it have been so hard for the Frequency sound crew to add some effects that would at least make it sound like they weren't sitting in opposite sides of the same room and having a chat?

Any way, what prompted me to post was the episode title:  "Harmonic".

A harmonic is a wave (in our case a radio wave, presumably) which is related to the original wave (fundamental) by being an integer multiple of the original frequency.  So, if your fundamental signal is at 1 MHz, the second harmonic would be 2x the original or 2 MHz.  The third and fourth harmonics would be 3 MHz and 4 MHz, respectively.    This is fairly central to the operation of all radio communications equipment (not to mention music, electronics generally, and a ton of other stuff), but let's not go there!

No, in Amateur Radio, the term "Harmonic" has another meaning.  See, if a ham radio Operator is considered the Fundamental, then their kids are referred to as Harmonics.  Hence common signals like: "Must QRT now.  Got to take the XYL and Harmonic to the beach!" can be heard on the ham bands.

Given the ending of this episode, I wonder if it isn't a very broad hint that the true identity of the Nightingale killer might be...

• PTT = Push-to-Talk
  • SSB = Single Sideband
  • MHz = Megaherts; Millions of cycles per second
  • QRT = Q-Code: Stop transmitting
  • XYL = Ex-YL
  • YL = Young Lady
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

It's never a good sign when the new episode comes out, and the one before still sits on my disk, unwatched.  

Anyway, I'm all caught up now, except I don't really know if I've got it all straight in my head!

It feels so drawn out, especially with Raimy's family drama and then dragging out the Nightingale storyline.

• Love 2

That was possibly the least emotionally compelling "we finally got him" story line ever. First, I just have to say, the lead actress is really just terrible in this. I've never seen her before so I don't know if she's always terrible. She only has one facial expression - that of someone angry and constipated at the same time. The storyline is convoluted and difficult to figure out because the characters really don't look any different in 1996 and 2016. Why do I watch? Because I thought the story was compelling enough, I love the idea of the two timelines talking to each other, and I like the dad character. I'm just trying to stick it out to the end.

One question. The mom is now alive in 2016. So Nightengale didn't kill her. But at the end we see there's a new threat, the step-son. I assume the step son didn't kill her because she's still alive in 2016. Are we supposed to think he will hurt her in the present timeline?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, zibnchy said:

That was possibly the least emotionally compelling "we finally got him" story line ever. First, I just have to say, the lead actress is really just terrible in this. I've never seen her before so I don't know if she's always terrible. She only has one facial expression - that of someone angry and constipated at the same time. The storyline is convoluted and difficult to figure out because the characters really don't look any different in 1996 and 2016. Why do I watch? Because I thought the story was compelling enough, I love the idea of the two timelines talking to each other, and I like the dad character. I'm just trying to stick it out to the end.

One question. The mom is now alive in 2016. So Nightengale didn't kill her. But at the end we see there's a new threat, the step-son. I assume the step son didn't kill her because she's still alive in 2016. Are we supposed to think he will hurt her in the present timeline?

I'm confused, because I don't get what made the deacon turn himself in in 1996. Raimy found out where the body was, but she never told Frank, and he never found it. So what changed? Was it Frank taking Meagan to meet her brother?

The only way the step-son could still be a threat is if Frank does something to change things. Because if the deacon getting arrested brought her back in 2016, that means the step-son no longer kills her as he originally did.  It would have been more interesting if she wasn't brought back and Frank and Raimy had to figure out why.

I'm also surprised there weren't more changes. If Raimy's mom never died, did she and Frank get back together? Because then maybe he didn't die in a car accident. And maybe Raimy didn't become a cop because she wasn't inspired by a parent dying.

3 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Based on the promo, it seems like there are other changes and she's seeing the other timeline.

It's because it's so drawn out and much of it was wasted on contrived family melodrama that it was hard to care about any of them.

• Love 1

Ok I was only half paying attention, can someone explain it to me? The stepson did all the killings? Or the deacon killed mom and stepson did the rest? Or deacon did it all and stepson continued it? I should not be this confused.

• Love 1

But in the original timeline (how things were when the show started) wasn't the stepson dead? Didn't the deacon kill him? I thought maybe he just (just??) had an unhealthy obsession with Rainy's mom and maybe killed her? Oh, shows should not be this confusing.

Also when Rainy was hugging her mom we see that she has a ring on her finger. Rainy notices the ring and is happy. We get the message - even women who are tough homicide detectives really just need a man to put a ring on it to be completely happy.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, zibnchy said:

But in the original timeline (how things were when the show started) wasn't the stepson dead? Didn't the deacon kill him? I thought maybe he just (just??) had an unhealthy obsession with Rainy's mom and maybe killed her? Oh, shows should not be this confusing.

Also when Rainy was hugging her mom we see that she has a ring on her finger. Rainy notices the ring and is happy. We get the message - even women who are tough homicide detectives really just need a man to put a ring on it to be completely happy.

Megan thought the stepson (her brother) was dead because he disappeared without a trace and assumed the deacon killed him. But then in this latest episode, 2016 Megan met her brother and found out he was alive and had been in hiding the whole time. I don't think they explained how 2016 Megan found out he was alive.

I don't get why Raimy is happy about being engaged to a man she now knows is willing to cheat on his finance. Also, what happened to the other cop she seemed to be developing feelings for? I liked him.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Megan thought the stepson (her brother) was dead because he disappeared without a trace and assumed the deacon killed him. But then in this latest episode, 2016 Megan met her brother and found out he was alive and had been in hiding the whole time. I don't think they explained how 2016 Megan found out he was alive. . . .

I got those parts. But weren't most of the Nightingale killings done in the 1990s when the brother was at most a preteen?

3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

. . . I don't get why Raimy is happy about being engaged to a man she now knows is willing to cheat on his finance. Also, what happened to the other cop she seemed to be developing feelings for? I liked him.

Can we hope she's engaged to the cop?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I got those parts. But weren't most of the Nightingale killings done in the 1990s when the brother was at most a preteen?

Can we hope she's engaged to the cop?

I think the Nightengale killed continuously over the twenty years, and that's why there was such a big task force devoted to him. There was even one victim they didn't know was a Nightengale killing until Raimy found her. Or did that turn out to be someone else? But either way, you're right, he started killing several years before 1996.  I don't remember if they said the brother's age, but he looked pretty young in that flashback. Maybe he was 15/16, but that's pretty young to pull off so many successful murders. Maybe the deacon killed some of them and the kid started following in his footsteps?

It would be cool if she was engaged to the cop.

• Love 1

The problem is, the Nightingale had stopped killing in the original timeline that Frank died in. With his survival, there were more victims (one being Julie) than there were before and they haven't (yet) explained why the moment Frank survived kept the Nightingale active instead of him going dormant/dying/whatever the reason was.

15 hours ago, kariyaki said:

The problem is, the Nightingale had stopped killing in the original timeline that Frank died in. With his survival, there were more victims (one being Julie) than there were before and they haven't (yet) explained why the moment Frank survived kept the Nightingale active instead of him going dormant/dying/whatever the reason was.

Maybe the Deacon didn't kill his wife in the original timeline?

On 1/21/2017 at 10:54 AM, kariyaki said:

I can't believe I almost forgot that fact that he stopped killing originally. But Julie wasn't an additional victim. She was a replacement victim. In the original timeline, he killed some other nurse and Raimy had discovered his body. They identified it as someone her mom worked with. Then after she changed things the body was identified again and it was her mom. That's when she realized things had changed. They did show the Nightingale watching that other nurse in 1996, and showed how when Frank didn't die, it led to Julie visiting the hospital and getting the Nightingale's attention.

Hopefully they will explain the survival in this next episode, but it seems unlikely, since it would require going backwards.

• Love 4

Wow, Raimy almost totally fucked up her happy ending there. It's good they found out who the real Nightingale was, but she didn't have to go messing with things after the killings stopped and her mom was back.  Was that Gordo's dad that got shot in the garage? I hope he somehow managed to survive. Gordo has consistently been a great friend to Raimy and a really good guy overall. He deserves some happiness and a live dick-ish dad is better than a dad that got shot to death in front of you as a kid.

Weird the Meghan ended up with cancer in the present when she didn't have it before. I guess she was screwed either way.

• Love 5

Yes that was the older Robbie, who Ramie did meet and start to suspect until time changed again. Not sure if that time line erased. I hope this is picked up somewhere else there were some loose timelines that needed to be explained. Did Gordos dad die and he decided to become responsible or he was just scared by it? Why is Frank still dead why did none of the timeshifts change his future?

That was a decent finale.

49 minutes ago, rtms77 said:

Yes that was the older Robbie, who Ramie did meet and start to suspect until time changed again. Not sure if that time line erased. I hope this is picked up somewhere else there were some loose timelines that needed to be explained. Did Gordos dad die and he decided to become responsible or he was just scared by it? Why is Frank still dead why did none of the timeshifts change his future?

Frank died in a car accident.

Also I am thinking the way that Robbie died in the original timeline was that his blood type was marked down incorrectly - remember when they brought him to the hospital and they said his blood type was wrong? What if that happened in 1996 for some reason and nobody caught it?

• Love 1

They never said Robbie died in the original timeline.

I'm kind of disappointed that Raimy was engaged to Daniel again once the Julie Alive timeline reset, though that makes sense, her being the one who introduced them. I just liked the cop guy better.