Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Head in the Game

Muffyn
  • Start Topic

The stakes are high when the artists must ink the ultimate in-your-face tattoo; rival alliances vie for control of the game.

Forehead tattoos.  No, just no.  That spider web was odd.  I actually enjoyed yarmulke comment.  I am not a fan of face tattoos in general.  Forehead tattoos are really putting it out there.

• Love 5
(edited)

I loved the forehead tattoo James did. I may not want a face tattoo, but that's one I would totally wear if I did. 

As I mentioned in the Survivor forum, there was a dude in my hometown who had "Give me head till I'm dead" tattooed on his forehead. So, it could always be worse.

When it comes to the elimination tattoo, I had no fucking idea why the circle A would be considered a "hate" tattoo. What the hell?

Matti is right that anyone who'd put a swastika or Confederate flag on someone--especially a kid, as many of these people were when they got their tattoos--should wear a boot to the face. When my husband was about 14, some dumbassed biker tattooist (I refuse to call him an artist) put the SS thunderbolts on his chest, which are a common AB tattoo. My husband is Mexican. Who the fuck does that, especially to a kid who has no idea what the symbol means? There really are some tattooists out there who need their hands chopped off so they can never do something like that again.

Anthony killed it again. His "cracked" technique really fit the design. Stylistically, it's something that lets you know it's his tattoo, but he doesn't force it where it doesn't belong. Thrilled that he won, especially considering that this challenge had to be more difficult for him than the white dudes. I also wasn't surprised that he mentioned that his race had been brought up when he was trying to get an apprenticeship. I figured that was one reason he had difficulty, because the tattoo scene in Tucson is so white. The few artists who aren't white are Latino. There are very few black people in the city, and definitely not many in the tattoo scene.

I don't know why they were so in love with James' flower. I was completely unimpressed with the color, the drawing and the outline. I'm not big on floral tattoos anyway, but that one was especially boring to me.

Christian is a blowhard, but he was totally correct that it's not fair for a dude to come in for a handful of tattoos and get to the end. I hate that about this season. He's still lucky he didn't go home.

In the end, the right person won. Christian probably should have gone home over Matti, but I see why they'd keep him. He definitely had the more difficult challenge.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

As I mentioned in the Survivor forum, there was a dude in my hometown who had "Give me head till I'm dead" tattooed on his forehead. So, it could always be worse.

Matti is right that anyone who'd put a swastika or Confederate flag on someone--especially a kid, as many of these people were when they got their tattoos--should wear a boot to the face. When my husband was about 14, some dumbassed biker tattooist (I refuse to call him an artist) put the SS thunderbolts on his chest, which are a common AB tattoo. My husband is Mexican. Who the fuck does that, especially to a kid who has no idea what the symbol means? There really are some tattooists out there who need their hands chopped off so they can never do something like that again.

Damn, I would want to head butt "Give me head till I'm dead" guy in the head whenever I saw him.  Definitely a life limiting tattoo choice.

Hearing how young these people were when they got these tattoos made me mad at the people who tattooed them and sort of sad for the people who got them.   Damn, putting SS thunderbolts on a 14 year old, putting a swastika on a 16  year old, these tattooers need their asses kicked.  what a horrible thing to do to someone. 

I was glad to see Anthony win.  He had a tough cover up and had to deal with looking at a symbol of hate.  I am sure he has had a tough time in the tattoo world.  It is funny.  I have met so many wonderful, warm, caring tattoo artists and I have also met many total jackasses who are all about proving how tough they are.  I guess we've seen a bit of both on the show too. 

• Love 3

Like many others, I'm rooting for Anthony at this point. Not sure if he can top the more experienced artist in the end, but it's crazy how good he is with his short tenure in the industry.

Felt like Christian maybe deserved to go home here. Would rather have spaghetti noodle hair lady over that eagle any day. Matti's just needed some lines in the hair and it would've been above both the other bottom tattoo's. Christian's and Cleen's wonky tats are permanent.

On the season as a whole, I have mixed feelings. I don't like the advantages the vets had, but I was happy with the overall level of the artist this season. No bad artist half-way through the show like usual. Really wish the program was run by more competent people though, as this had potential to be the best season yet. Early prediction - Christian 4th, James 3rd, Anthony 2nd, Clean wins (he is a top tier artist despite his personality and it's obvious Nunez plays favorites with him).

• Love 2
(edited)

The focus on Anthony, especially lately, with the 100% positive edit makes me think he has a shot at winning. If not the win, I agree he doesn't finish below second. I'm sure he gets invited back next time they have returnees if he doesn't win. Maybe even if he does. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 3
(edited)

Who can say what these contestants are like at home but since we're primarily treated to their juvenile posturing, runaway egos, and temper tantrums, I was impressed that Matti showed a bit of human empathy by taking a strong stand against hate symbols. Even though he did couch his sentiment in violence.

When it comes to the elimination tattoo, I had no fucking idea why the circle A would be considered a "hate" tattoo. What the hell?

I had to look it up, but the circle A represents anarchy.

Edited by lordonia

I don't like Matti, but Christian should have gone home. That eagle looked very wonky. Clean's was good, if stylistically unappealing to me, so I didn't see why he was in the bottom unless they had to have a bottom three. Still, given Matti and Sausage's rivalry, I'm glad both whiny brats are gone.

Wouldn't it be some kind of Ink Master miracle if nice guys James and Anthony are the top two? That's probably not going to happen though. I think Clean or Anthony deserve the win. I don't like Clean, but of the returning artists, he's been there the longest by far and he's damn talented. It better not be Christian who is just as arrogant as Clean but no where near as good as James, Clean, or Anthony. I think James has a real shot too as the judges seem to like him and he does do some beautiful tattoos. 

• Love 3

I've resigned myself to the fact that we're never going to get rid of Cleen.  It's not like I think the guy's a bad artist.  But there's been no dead weight for weeks, so it really should come down to who does what on a particular challenge on a particular week.  I thought Cleen's messed-up drawing was a lot more problematic than Matti's that just needed a bit more time.

I was also confused by the "A" tattoo.  It's definitely a radical political tattoo, but I don't see the connection to "hate."  I'm guessing either they couldn't get enough actual hate tattooed people to come on the show (if I had one of those things I certainly wouldn't want the whole country knowing about it), or else the producers felt like they needed a one least left-wing tattoo for balance.  

• Love 3

Definitely wasn't  Cleen's best night. The forehead thing was wonky and the cover-up was not aesthetically pleasing though well done and did the job. Matti didn't finish and knew he screwed up so I was fine with him going. Anthony did a fine job but it looked amateurish in design. As a cover, James did well and clever enough that it did not look like a cover but I just didn't fine it appealing, I thought it looked dull. Loved his forehead tat. Never thought I'd write those words. Lol

• Love 1

I almost forgot--obviously not Anthony's fault but I personally would have refused to do that forehead tattoo.  I thought it was ironic that the show selected someone who wanted that tattoo on the same episode as other folks trying to cover up their hate tattoos.  Not only is the tattoo a horrible idea, but the positioning was unwise.  It's a bad idea for men to get tattoos that hug their hairlines for the obvious reason.  Again, not really Anthony's fault.  It's a competition, and that idiot was clearly an adult.  But man.  I hope that most, if not all, of these folks would decline to do that tattoo if it walked into their shops at home.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Rancide said:

I almost forgot--obviously not Anthony's fault but I personally would have refused to do that forehead tattoo. I thought it was ironic that the show selected someone who wanted that tattoo on the same episode as other folks trying to cover up their hate tattoos.

Hey, the guy "had a bad week." At least he knew what misanthropy was.

• Love 5

I don't get forehead tattoos.  Not at all.  That said, I thought Matti's butterfly was gorgeous.  And he did very well by putting it on her temple.

I am so relieved Anthony made it through.  He most definitely had the best tattoo of the day and under difficult circumstances.

I wasn't impressed with James' flowers.  It just made me think of the floral tattoo that Matti did during his original season for the breast cancer survivor - - that was beautiful and very impressive.  I think James' tattoo was fine, just didn't blow me away. 

I didn't think Matti's tattoo was as bad as the judges made it seem.  If they are going to penalize an inktestant for not finishing a piece, then please make it the rule and say that you will be automatically disqualified if you do not finish. 

Christian's tattoo was okay.  It certainly wasn't his best work.  I would have been okay with him going home, especially based on how he treated Jesse last week.

Cleen is clearly going to the finale.  He could have taken a dump on that canvas and Nunez would still assert that Cleen wasn't going anywhere.  That said, I agree with the poster above that Cleen has turned in more work than any other veteran.  He's been there from week one and has earned his spot.  This week's tattoo wasn't my favorite from him but I didn't think it was horrible either. Maybe his canvas wanted that bright blue.  Cleen did have two pieces to cover so he should have been given consideration for that.

I am really rooting for Anthony.  He does solid work, he's considerate of his client and it's hard to believe he's only been doing this for 5 years.  And self taught. 

I'm going to guess that Christian goes next week, leaving Anthony to face off against two veterans.

I love Dave.

• Love 2

Forehead tattoos.  Lame.  

Those Nazi tattoos though.  Whoa.  I've dealt with Nazi's my whole life since they are attracted to Ska and Mod.  I've had a few call my husband a race traitor because I'm Mexican, which is so funny because I'm paler than he is with blue eyes.  Lol. I felt for Anthony.  He put in a really good show! 

• Love 2

Oh, so this week, linework can be overlooked, but eagle anatomy is crucial.

I was really hoping the artists would walk in and find a row of kewpie dolls lined up for the flash challenge.  Maybe the forehead people should have spent some time with the other bunch, especially the men getting designs flush along their youthy full hairlines like a string of Christmas lights.

At least the woman who got her head shaved is going to have some option in the future whether she wants something intriguing sneaking out from under her hair or she wants to **BAM!** let her freak flag fly.

The hate coverup is one of the best challenges they've done--unlikely anyone goes home with regrets after this one.

But I disagree that "everyone knows" those helmets with the horns and the stegosaurus plates are always black.  (Hello, Japanese dragons.)  The whole bottom half of the design would have been way overbalanced and hardly noticeable underneath that amount of solid black. 

And "bright baby blue" is an oxymoron, Oliver, so hold the sneering.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

I love Dave.

This is my main takeaway from every episode. <3

And that I can't wait for Christian to go. That guy is the worst. Wtf does tribal tattoos on your cheeks have to do with being injured in a welding accident? Did I just not listen when he was explaining that (highly likely)... 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, candall said:

But I disagree that "everyone knows" those helmets with the horns and the stegosaurus plates are always black.  (Hello, Japanese dragons.)  The whole bottom half of the design would have been way overbalanced and hardly noticeable underneath that amount of solid black. 

I'm with you there.  I certainly didn't know.  In Cleen's defense if he had gone with black, that thing would have looked like a big black bob and most definitely a (poorly done) cover up.

1 minute ago, wovenloaf said:

This is my main takeaway from every episode. <3

And that I can't wait for Christian to go. That guy is the worst. Wtf does tribal tattoos on your cheeks have to do with being injured in a welding accident? Did I just not listen when he was explaining that (highly likely)... 

Me too!  I love Dave.  Rrrrrraaaaaaaawwwwrrrr!  (Although Anthony is upping the sexy factor, at least for me, this season.) 

Christian explained that he was hit by a drunk driver and had to forego being a welder.  That's when he began tattooing.  He said he did the face tattoos as a way to say he's all in with the business and no turning back. 

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, lordonia said:

I  had to look it up, but the circle A represents anarchy.

Yes, it does. Which has nothing to do with "hate". I don't know where the hell they got that. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

Christian explained that he was hit by a drunk driver and had to forego being a welder.  That's when he began tattooing.  He said he did the face tattoos as a way to say he's all in with the business and no turning back. 

Ooh, okay, thanks for the explanation. I caught an injury and welding, but missed the connection between it all. Well I'm certainly sorry for him that he was injured and lost his career. But those cheek tattoos are still silly and he still has an obnoxious personality!

33 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Yes, it does. Which has nothing to do with "hate". I don't where the hell they got that. 

Yeah that was weird. I guess they just couldn't find a fifth "hate tattoo"-having canvas.

Nice episode. I thought that both challenges were unique and displayed high levels of skill and creativity. As much as I dislike Christian, I've never been a huge fan of Matti's either. His stuff just doesn't really impress me, whether it was back in season 4 or in this season. Matti is very good, but he's a clear step below ink master's best (Joey, Tommy, Cleen, Scott, etc), I don't even think he's as good as Sausage, whom he was lucky to beat 1v1 earlier this season. 

The final 4 is understandably incredibly difficult to predict this year. Clean definitely has to be the favorite given his history. Anthony has multiple wins under his belt and his only trip to the bottom was a human canvas jury decision that the judges disagreed with. Christian is very good but is probably the weakest of the bunch. James is a real wild card to me. There's a somewhat symbolic aspect to a season 1 returnee coming back to win the most competitive season of ink master ever, but it's just so hard to predict because the dude has hardly done anything since being back. He did a japanese dragon that received 1/3 first place votes, he did an evil wing which won, he shaded a clipper ship, and he did a coverup with japanese style flowers that received 1/3 first place votes. If i had to take a stab at it, I would say (1-4) Cleen, Anthony, James, Christian. I'm pretty confident with Cleen and Christian but could see James and Anthony switching places. 

Also, just as a random aside: I am sick and tired of seeing female composite/profile tattoos. There have been more tattoos of a female face posing for a picture this season than I care to count. I understand that it's a very popular image that allows for a lot of opportunity/creativity, but damn has it been beaten into the ground this season. I hope they ban creepy/evil symbolic female from the master canvasses in the finale. I still can't get over the fact that Matti and Scott Marshall, given the opportunity to do anything in the entire world in the season 4 finale, did basically the exact same evil female tattoo.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Around the Internet, there are a lot of white people whining about the Confederate flag being called a hate symbol. I just can't with these people. 

I think it depends a lot on the context. The confederate flag alone is obviously just a symbol of the confederacy, which can stand for many ideas and beliefs. However when you pair it with something else, like a little grim reaper in Cleen's canvas's case, it's pretty obvious what the intention of the confederate flag becomes.

• Love 2

I have to say this season's artists have renewed my interest in this show. Last couple of seasons I have not felt very into Ink Master. This season, I am really loving the challenges and the resulting tattoos. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Inkmaster0345 said:

I think it depends a lot on the context. The confederate flag alone is obviously just a symbol of the confederacy, which can stand for many ideas and beliefs. However when you pair it with something else, like a little grim reaper in Cleen's canvas's case, it's pretty obvious what the intention of the confederate flag becomes.

I'm not going to get into the politics of it all, but a symbol of a hateful society is a symbol of hate. And a society that fought for the right to keep people in slavery is a hateful society. There are no excuses for the Confederacy that I buy. It's also very telling who exactly thinks it's an innocuous symbol. Certainly not the folks whose ancestors were the ones in chains.

• Love 6

Yeah. The KKK is pretty clear about the Confederate flag and what it's symbolizing. When the whiners can convince the KKK to stop waving that flag, then maybe I'll listen to arguments about how we should respect the "heritage" (... the "heritage" of rebelling against America and owning slaves, so then again, maybe not.)

• Love 4

I'm pretty confident with calling the confederate flag a traitor flag.  We were one nation and they wanted to secede and lost.  So if you want to wear a traitor loser tattoo or fly one, that's your business, but it definitely is a very negative symbol. 

There is so much more to southern history... picking cotton, slavery, kkk... oh I guess I see that the confederate flag isn't THAT bad. Lol

I grew up in the South and have had many people lecture me on how the Confederate Flag is not about slavery, but State's Rights.  I give them a giant side eye...yes, State's Rights...to own slaves.

The funny thing is the Old South was a feudalistic society.  There were very few rich families who owned giant plantations with slaves and the rest of the whites were fairly poor in comparison.  I remember my college room mate talking about how her family had nothing.  If most white people knew the truth, they would not be longing for "the good old days".  Most of the people you see at the rallies are not descendants of old southern aristocrats, but the poor white share cropper who could barely feed their children.

This season had gone back to the reason most of us watch this show, which is talent...not drama.  They went about it the stupidest way possible, by pitting newbies against experienced vets that are coming in fresh, but I actually like the final four.

However, it does feel like the fix is in for Cleen, but at least he does have talent.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

I grew up in the South and have had many people lecture me on how the Confederate Flag is not about slavery, but State's Rights.  I give them a giant side eye...yes, State's Rights...to own slaves.

The funny thing is the Old South was a feudalistic society.  There were very few rich families who owned giant plantations with slaves and the rest of the whites were fairly poor in comparison.  I remember my college room mate talking about how her family had nothing.  If most white people knew the truth, they would not be longing for "the good old days".  Most of the people you see at the rallies are not descendants of old southern aristocrats, but the poor white share cropper who could barely feed their children.

This season had gone back to the reason most of us watch this show, which is talent...not drama.  They went about it the stupidest way possible, by pitting newbies against experienced vets that are coming in fresh, but I actually like the final four.

However, it does feel like the fix is in for Cleen, but at least he does have talent.

I grew up in the South as well and Southern pride does not necessarily mean you support the KKK, slavery, etc.  (Not that you said that, qtpye!)   I do take offense with people assuming that Southern history = slavery, KKK, cotton picking, etc.  The South does have some horrible, black marks in history but it's not all negativity either.  As qtpye pointed out, the majority of people were not the fancy, wealthy plantation owners.  

Back to the business at hand . . . as much as I loooooove Anthony and am rooting for him to win, I'd be okay with a Cleen win as well.  He was robbed during his initial season and whether you like his personality or not, he is a talented artist.  I think this is an unusual season for Ink Master because not only are the final 4 all very talented (heck, the last 6 were all full of talent), any one of them could win the whole thing and it would be justified.

• Love 3

Wtf does tribal tattoos on your cheeks have to do with being injured in a welding accident?

I was more confused about how Christian was unable to work in welding yet could then go on to tattooing? As far as I can tell both require excellent visual-spatial skills, precision, organization, ability to sit in uncomfortable positions for a long time, and fine motor skills. The only difference I could tell would be the weight of the machines? I'd like to know more about how why he couldn't weld but could transition to tattooing.

My biggest problem with his eagle tattoo is that it seemed tilted on her leg and the flower was extraneous and stupid.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I grew up in the South as well and Southern pride does not necessarily mean you support the KKK, slavery, etc.  (Not that you said that, qtpye!)   I do take offense with people assuming that Southern history = slavery, KKK, cotton picking, etc.  The South does have some horrible, black marks in history but it's not all negativity either.  As qtpye pointed out, the majority of people were not the fancy, wealthy plantation owners. 

Lots of poor people owned slaves, too. It wasn't just the big plantations. The point is - even the poorest, non-slave owning southerner went to war against America to defend their right to own slaves (whether they actually did or not.) And then when they lost the war, they started the KKK, which was a terrorist organization willing to kill black people (and those who stood up for them) in order to oppress them. That's why the KKK symbol is a confederate flag. Because it was started by ex-Confederates in order to terrorize former slaves and abolitionists. We're still dealing with the fallout from that terrorism.

Everything I just wrote there is factual. Southerners flying a Confederate flag for "Southern Pride" is like Germans getting swastika tattoos for "Bavarian Pride".

I don't know why Southerners are proud to be Southern. (I'm from Ohio. I'm not "proud" of that. I didn't ask for it. I didn't work for it. I don't know why anyone would care. I certainly don't.) But Southerners need to find some new way demonstrate that pride. Holding on to Confederate symbols doesn't not send a positive message.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Merneith said:

Lots of poor people owned slaves, too. It wasn't just the big plantations. The point is - even the poorest, non-slave owning southerner went to war against America to defend their right to own slaves (whether they actually did or not.) And then when they lost the war, they started the KKK, which was a terrorist organization willing to kill black people (and those who stood up for them) in order to oppress them. That's why the KKK symbol is a confederate flag. Because it was started by ex-Confederates in order to terrorize former slaves and abolitionists. We're still dealing with the fallout from that terrorism.

Everything I just wrote there is factual. Southerners flying a Confederate flag for "Southern Pride" is like Germans getting swastika tattoos for "Bavarian Pride".

I don't know why Southerners are proud to be Southern. (I'm from Ohio. I'm not "proud" of that. I didn't ask for it. I didn't work for it. I don't know why anyone would care. I certainly don't.) But Southerners need to find some new way demonstrate that pride. Holding on to Confederate symbols doesn't not send a positive message.

Thank you so much for your explanation, because I think it's the first time I really understand what it really was about in a simple, clear and concise way, and that all the puzzle pieces I have in my head starts to get along together and make sense ! Thank you thank you thank you <3

(I'm from Switzerland, so some topics are not easy to apprehend and, most of all, understand)

Edited by Diane Mars
spelling
  • Love 1

Let's end the discussion of Southern Pride now, please. The people that had the tattoos, whether the Flag or the A, viewed them as a symbol they wanted gone. What that symbol means to you or your fellow posters is not relevant. Be a civil and respectful guest here at Dave's house and leave the politics at home. Thanks!

• Love 4