Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Be Angry at the Sun

Following the release of several controversial videos depicting the chaos going on inside the cordon, Lex pleads with Dr. Lommers for additional reinforcements to be sent in. However, when the request is denied, Lex is forced to rely on a reluctant Jake to take control of the situation inside. Elsewhere, Katie has a tense stand-off with one of her student’s desperate parents, while a robbery at her mom’s store leaves Teresa shaken to her core. Finally, when Leo releases more damaging videos, drastic measures are taken to shut him down.

It made no sense to cut off the Internet. If there really IS this huge Government Conspiracy, then they should be able to control content without causing panic and unrest. Unless they are planning to just kill off everyone in the "contained" area the  best bet is to provide enough entertainment to keep the quarantined pacified while they hopefully either find a cure or a way of curtailing the spread. And, yes, airdropping food supplies should help.

• Love 2

I'm really liking this show. It's interesting, I actually care about most of the SLs and I'm invested in seeing what happens with most of the characters so far (which is more than I can say for some other shows I had to quit this season*cough*Quantico, blind spot*cough).

I really hope at the end they go back and show that Thomas was ok. 

I can understand the call to cut out the internet. People are stupid enough without the crap stiring that was happening with the internet.   They have no margin of error right now with how deadly the virus is. I liked how they showed it happening too. All these people were finding comfort from it and then it was suddenly like, "No internet for you!"

I liked Lex's line to the tmz type dude about how he'll never have to make the difficult call that he might have to.

I love when they say 4 to 6 feet like it's a prison sentence.  It makes no sense it should be either or.

I don't like that the cops other than Lex  are a little too whiny especially with the short amount of time that has passed.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow do the cops come off as wussies in this show. 

Are journalists really so insane that they would show an escape route from a deadly virus area?  I'm a pretty liberal person but there comes a point when the people's right to know is overridden by oh I don't know, PEOPLE'S LIVES.  WTF?

The bloody guy who infected the little black kid, did we know who he was?  Did it make sense that he'd be wandering around the halls in the hospital?  I may have missed some scenes.

I hate the two dufuses that went out for food in the subplot with the cop's girlfriend.  I'm actually hoping they have the virus and croak outside  the clean room but leave 6 feet of space so the two women can go by them.  Actually allegedly the virus dies when they die so it's ok for them to croak anywhere.  We can't be bothered with taking precautions, I don't know when I took off my gloves but do what I say because I'm a man and you are a puny female.  Good God.  Darwin is spinning in his grave.

Edited by MDKNIGHT
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, MDKNIGHT said:

The bloody guy who infected the little black kid, did we know who he was?

It looked like he was a maintenance worker -- he had on green coveralls and I think I saw a badge.

Last night, I realized I'm kind of into this show.  It does have a lot of issues but I still find it interesting. 

So, how is Mr. Journalist going to get info. from the zone now?  He probably has a shortwave radio hidden in his closet. Ha!

Just like Mr. Huff, I wonder if English Dr. is the true baddie. Is he an unwilling participant in Dr. Lommers' conspiracy or the other way round? Lommers is really gung ho on the whole cordon, she's giving the orders without so much as a moment on pensive thought -- that makes me think she's the chief baddie. The dialog at times makes it difficult to understand whether you're being given a clue or the writing/acting is just bad and the lines are not working.

I think the little girl with hay fever is actually their first immune. Maybe pregnant girl is also? At least then she would serve some sort of purpose.

If that guy locked in with Lana (that's her name, right? the police guy's girlfriend) is really sick, they're going to have to sit there, watch him die, watch the other guy get infected and die and be blocked from getting out. We know the virus dies shortly after the host does but they don't.

At this point I'm wondering if the virus is going to miraculously stay in the containment zone or break out.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MDKNIGHT said:

I hate the two dufuses that went out for food in the subplot with the cop's girlfriend.  I'm actually hoping they have the virus and croak outside  the clean room but leave 6 feet of space so the two women can go by them.  Actually allegedly the virus dies when they die so it's ok for them to croak anywhere.  We can't be bothered with taking precautions, I don't know when I took off my gloves but do what I say because I'm a man and you are a puny female.  Good God.  Darwin is spinning in his grave.

I know, right?  I mean, "We're going to break isolation and go wandering around out in the bug-o-sphere, with so little care that we don't even notice when our gloves come off.  But when we get back, we certainly don't expect to be banned from entering the isolation unit again!"  

43 minutes ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

So, how is Mr. Journalist going to get info. from the zone now?  He probably has a shortwave radio hidden in his closet. Ha!

I don't know why they went to the trouble to shut down the internet.  I mean, why not grab the journalistic dickhead and vanish his ass, off down to Guantanamo Bay for an indefinitely long, tropical vacation?  That's the way it's done in America now, isn't it?  And all perfectly legal?

28 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I still can't believe that those two cops were able to secretly meet in that container tunnel.

I still can't believe that there is a container out there in the world, with doors at both ends!

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I still can't believe that there is a container out there in the world, with doors at both ends!

I suppose that they could have custom made that container, but who's kidding who, they whipped up that container wall so fast there's no way they would have had the foresight to do such a thing.

18 hours ago, MDKNIGHT said:

Wow do the cops come off as wussies in this show. 

One does the hard duty to protect his family outside and then resigns from a very thin blue line with potentially more danger to his family out there?

• Love 2

Almost no one in the cordon seems to take any precautions or even a second thought about the germs that can horrifically kill them within days.  The only one we've seen take it seriously is Teen Mother Teresa, who immediately disinfected her grandmother's kitchen and placed herself into quarantine as soon as she suspected she'd had contact with the infection. Everyone else is still having teen parties filled with oozy youths; keeping their businesses open and handling money touched by potentially infected people; going to workplaces teeming with fleshy, sweaty co-workers... Even the officers and doctors facing infected patients at best wear flimsy paper face masks and at worst think riot gear helmets prevent the spread of disease.

For example, if going in a food run, pick up more than just two bags of food for four people so you won't have to make another run literally tomorrow; glove, mask, and arm yourselves; keep them on at all times; upon return, scrub yourself and all your food down with diluted bleach.  If disposing of bodies covered in blood and pus, don't touch the oozing corpses and then pick up your phone or wipe your sweaty brow; your gloves are useless if you're just going to cross contaminate with them on. And even if you're willing to bank on 100% of the virus dying hours after the host, there are still other diseases to worry about. This virus presents and spreads like a more fatal and fast acting ebola virus, and yet not a single professional uses such precautions. And for goodness sake, give the infected some tissues so they don't have to wipe their bloody snot with their hands and then smear it all over their windows.

• Love 10

So far the story of a large population caught in the kill zone is enough to keep me coming back. I can head canon many, if not most blowing off the six feet away especially since it has only been a couple of days. But the medical side with minimal protections even with a CDC doctor running point  seems to be lazy, or we must show the actors face. I literally was saying to myself what use are gloves if you don't removed them when the cop keep wiping his face and then brought the phone up to his mouth to speak

I take more precautions during flu season/babysitting kids than these people do with a full blown, deadly virus circulating around their city. So far the only character I like is Teresa, the useless teen mom. Mostly because she's the only that seems to be taking the threat seriously ---could be on account that she's pregnant and actually wants to keep the baby?

• Love 2
(edited)

Bah, this is my nightmare!  I just can't help but shudder and wash my hands.  I don't think I can watch anymore.

Edited to add - I'm now heading down the path of stomach flu...

Edited by hatchetgirl

I'm a sucker for disease outbreak shows, so I'm in.  Wish it was written better, but I can't help myself from watching.

At this point, they should be expecting rioting to start.  It's one thing to cordon off party of a city; it's quite another to cordon them off and then cut them off from their phones and internet.  People don't know what to do with themselves when the internet is down and they can't call or text with people.  Idle hands...leads to riots. 

What does Jana do?  It seems they work in a lab of some sort, with a clean room?

6 hours ago, izabella said:

What does Jana do?  It seems they work in a lab of some sort, with a clean room?

Computer clean room, not bio.  Still good at keeping buggies at bay, tho.

• Love 2

Did they talk about food at all?  Why can't they get food inside the cordon?  Can't they just helicopter over and drop down supplies?  Or do they just have no way of provisioning it out to people once it's in so they aren't even going to bother?  Confused!

But in general, I'm liking this show.  It's got some stupid stuff happening, but it's definitely keeping me entertained.

• Love 1
(edited)

They have only been in the cordon for a day or two so far.  I'm sure there is plenty of food inside the cordon - all the stores wouldn't have sold out, and the people with homes inside the cordon would still have whatever was in their fridge, freezer and cabinets.  

I think it's more a matter of those who are inside, like Jana and the people in the clean room, not wanting to risk being infected to go out and buy groceries.  And I don't know if the merchants are sticking around to sell anything - I wouldn't, for fear of catching whatever it is but others would,to make the extra money. 

Once they realize that this cordon isn't going away any time soon, then I think we'll see the problems starting with looting and rioting and people needing food drops, especially for those people who were trapped inside but away from home and are homeless.  For now, there hasn't been much talk of food except for the people that brought their rifles to the store because Theresa's mom was charging too much for the food in her store.

Did they set up any shelters for the people who got stuck in the cordon but don't live there?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, izabella said:

For now, there hasn't been much talk of food except for the people that brought their rifles to the store because Theresa's mom was charging too much for the food in her store.

Thanks!  I thought a few people on the boards here were talking about food, which is why I was confused since I didn't think the show itself had even mentioned it must yet.  I might've misread some posts though.

Cutting off the internet?  Now, you are really asking for riots!  If people are already getting rowdy now, just wait until they can no longer post their statuses on Facebook or catch on their Netflix binging!

I could not stop laughing when Jana preventing the guys from getting back in, and one of them began hurling the food at the window, and another began chowing down on bread, while glaring at her.  They were like two year-olds in that scene.

Tersea's mom is so going to get herself robbed for good or even killed, if she keeps jacking the prices like she's doing.  Riots will be bound to happen.  Tersea better just stay away when that shit goes down.

11 cops protecting how many blocks?  And they keep quitting left and right?  Yeah, I don't see how anyone expects them to keep the peace for very long.

Have to think that Lommers is shady now, and this is some kind of government conspiracy. 

• Love 1

Wow, this show is full of stupid characters.  Who are the writers? 

Kid trying to get in and help his pregnant girl?  And do what?

Pregnant girl wanting to help her mom against guys with guns?!??!?

People trying to escape the quarantine with no regard for infecting others.

I'm still watching, but maybe these people need to die to thin out the stupidity.

• Love 1

So the big revelation in this episode was that people stuck in a cordon because of a deadly virus outbreak are dying of a deadly virus. Yep, that's journalism for you. 

The thing that really really pissed me off was that this episode implied that because the government may have been lying about how the outbreak started, that therefore we are justified in breaking the cordon. That's just insane! How the disease started is actually completely immaterial when you have an outbreak like this and discover you missed a vector. The disease is contained at the moment and it can't be allowed to get out. That's all that matters and if that means everyone in the cordon dies, then they die. Four thousand is better than four million. Or possibly four billion considering how virulent this thing is.

Leo is hands down the worst journalist I've ever seen and his speech about media ethics before publishing information that could kill millions of people was just APPALLING. You know, if they are lying about how the outbreak started, the story is outside the cordon. Not inside it. So stop scaring people for click bait and start finding the real story, jackass. God I hate what passes for journalism these days.

Also, remind me never to call the police in Atlanta. Apparently policing is something they only do on days when policing isn't actually required.

• Love 1