Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Kimmy Meets a Celebrity!

I am crying several minutes into e12 from the end of e11 and had to push pause for a minute. I suffer from PTSD and relate to Kimmy a lot. The whole not crying thing? Something I did and spent many hours talking about in therapy.  I mean, it's not like I never ever ever cried, but I rarely did when something upsetting happened to me. Fictional character? Waterworks. So to see Kimmy get ripped apart for it broke my heart because I got shredded many times too. Especially when people didn't believe my trauma because not crying was seen as making it up instead of a very tightly held coping mechanism. Like you don't cry because you feel like if you start, you will never, ever stop. So when she cried, had her breakthrough, I lost it. It was such a big step.

This show is really helping me laugh at my own condition. I don't feel like it's making fun of it, but like it's laughing with me, not at me. It's such a case of "it's funny because it's true" for me.

• Love 20

I love that they are ending this season on "Kimmy is dealing with her trauma" instead of last seasons "The People vs. Jon Ham". Plus, with added Jeff Goldblum action! 

I love Lilian, but I wish they would give her a little more to do than give advice, and complain about hipsters. 

• Love 5

I love Lilian, but I wish they would give her a little more to do than give advice, and complain about hipsters. 

There is never enough complaining about hipsters.

• Love 17

Aw,  elzin, I totally teared up at your post, and at Kimmy's breakdown as well. It was so painful to see that she could survive 15 years underground but not being able to stop Cyndee's wedding is what truly made her helpless. I said in another thread that this season is doing a great job of getting deeper into the characters, and while I thought I had Kimmy all figured out before this episode, I'm much more clear on who she is now.

Ok, last episode I speculated that Lisa Kudrow is Kimmy's mom, now I'm wondering if the Geena Davis picture is some double misdirect and Geena Davis actually is Kimmy's mom! I seriously can't wait to get to the finale and see who it is. Only 2 more episodes to go!

Lillian's "chained to a bulldozer outfit" is a Look™.

Titus was really sweet this episode too, even if it was for, again, his own selfish purposes. Hopefully Tyler comes back and they can mend fences. It's a little early, but I'd love to see what this show could eventually do with Titus, Mikey, and a baby.

I keep forgetting to comment on it but the random Yukos that have been in the background of almost every episode have been cracking me up. I wonder if the original one is going to come for her revenge???

• Love 4

elzin, I wish I could tear up at your post, but I grew up in a household where crying was pretty much not allowed :(  So, now I simply can't do it, even when I want to.

But, I truly am so happy this show could help you in that way.  I bet its something the writers would love to know, because they probably don't actually realize that humor can really help people too.  There was an episode of 30Rock where the message seemed to be that movies/shows with humor can sometimes help as much as those that are super serious.

• Love 3

I love that the Mole Women always remind each other that they were kidnapped together. It's a nice bit of continuity.

Other than that, I didn't really care for this episode. I'm not a fan of therapy shows like that, so that aspect of episode didn't really hit home for me. 

Kimmy's breakdown, though, gave me all the feels. I'm feeling so many emotions about Kimmy's trauma. I just want to wrap her up in a huge hug.

• Love 3

Finally got to watch it.  Glad that Kimmy finally had a break though and...broke down.  The Reverend did steal 15 years of her life. 

After a horrible flight with Delta last year, I cackled at the "We hate it as much as you do!" line.  (Though to be fair after I politely complained, I did get a $75 Starbucks card.)

• Love 2

Kimmy's breakdown was so sad! I think she couldn't cry in the bunker because 1) if she started she wouldn't stop, 2) she escaped to her imaginary world when things got tough, & 3) she still could help her fellow captives so she didn't feel completely without hope.

And I love that Cyndee cancelled her wedding when she realized why Kimmy was crying.

• Love 2

Is the high-5 with the robot Kimmy's first (after many spurned attempts) in the whole show?

I love that the robots keep showing up everywhere. Wonder where the one bent on revenge has gotten to.

• Love 2

Jeff Goldblum as Dr. Dave was perfect.  He really sold one of those doctor personas you see on TV during the daytime.  I loved the running gag of him awkwardly bringing up sponsors at the worst time possible.  Especially that even he couldn't find anything nice to say about Delta!

The episode was hilarious as always, but also touching with the way Kimmy finally broke down and cried for the first time, and how that was what made Cyndee finally call off the wedding.  I'm really glad this season has been addressing that Kimmy would be suffering PTSD after what happened to her, and that the other mole women would be effected too.  Ellie Kemper was fantastic in this one.  Wouldn't be surprised if this was the episode she submits/submitted for Emmy consideration.

The stuff with Titus and the kid was fun.  Even though he had his own selfish reasons, I did think Titus really wanted to help the kid, and the idea of him adopting could be an interesting direction, even though there is still a lot of stuff he needs to work on, before it really get there, I think.

Lillian wasn't in this one as much, but I hope they have a good endgame for her war against the hipsters!

• Love 1

"Are you trying to help or just practicing accents?"

"Kimmy, I don't know what to say. So I'm hoping that the tone of my voice makes you think that I do, okay, sweetie?" This is me. 

Jeff Goldblum as a Dr. Phil style quack. This is even more flattering than when they cast Michael Weatherby.

"Your mother is what I call your father's credit card."

Aw, Titus and Tyler were really sweet together. Titus is NOT ready to have a baby but I'd be OK with him deciding to be some kind of mentor. 

Kimmy high-fiving the robot...

That was a nice emotional-progress ending.

I don't watch Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz or any of those other "Doctor" shows but still recognized the sharp satire of Jeff Goldblum's Dr. Dave. Goldblum is quickly becoming the male equivalent of Swoosie Kurtz: any show he appears in automatically becomes 20% better. I just hope this means we haven't seen the  last of Brandon. He was kind of hilarious.

• Love 2