Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E13: Sinister Showdown, Part 1

Am I supposed to know who that is?

Yeah, I didn't recognize the name either, but like the clip above shows, and his wikipedia, he's been a terrifically successful producer; it just so happens I've literally seen none of the films he's been involved in.  He's produced several horror films/franchises "Face Off" has referenced over the years, specializing in tiny budget surprise hits like "Paranormal Activity".  And, surprisingly, he was producer for the HBO series "The Jinx" as well as the Oscar-winning films "The Reader" and "Whiplash".  So I suspect that while we might not recognize his name, within the industry- especially among makeup and effects people- he's a real coup to have involved.

• Love 2

Film reality is a bit of a wakeup call for the remaining three face-testants. Back to the er, sculpting board.

Welcome back, Lois Burwell. I have enjoyed the Face-Off 'family' that regularly seems to return to visit. I don't watch a lot of reality type shows but 'Face Off' seems to have a goodwill that few have.  Thought it quite interesting that both she and Mr. Westmore gave a lot of advice. I had hoped that the three directors would have at least looked at the initial sketches and suggested some initial changes. Real world experience is what these folks will be facing if they do find work in the makeup field.

Walter's seemed to have the most going for it. Robert's strategic moss probably saved him a bit. Rob's execution was interesting, but seemed very pale and in need of a bit of an upgrade. Do wonder if he will pull it off next week. Melissa's was okay. Still no idea who will win.

• Love 6

I am so not a horror fan, so the whole challenge is less than exciting to me. That being said, Walter's makeups both looked pretty good (how does Megan manage to look adorable while playing a possession victim?) which surprised me considering his teammates are my least favorites of the returnees.

Poor Rob looked like he wanted to cry after his screen test. Hope he can pull it out because he clearly enjoys effects makeup so much, and seems like a really nice guy. I did smile at seeing him geek out over Lois (welcome back, Lois!)

Interesting that this year they have the same script as interpreted by three different directors, compared to last year's same director with three different scripts.

Hard to say who will take it at this point - it's still anyone's game, though Walter is arguably in the best position right now.

• Love 7

I felt bad for Rob, hope he can pull it out. When the director said he wanted his demon to be more pale, I thought How? The thing was whiter than white. Walter got the best feedback but that doesn't always mean anything in the end. I love scary stuff but I like a slow build up so a three minute movie probably wouldn't be entertaining to me. I'm thinking it's between Rob and Walter. Melissa just doesn't seem to be really into this and she also has a pretty picky director.

Interesting that this year they have the same script as interpreted by three different directors, compared to last year's same director with three different scripts.

I am not especially thrilled about this, as it adds yet another variable.  I am going to guess they gave the directors guidelines about how picky they could be, but some of the "visions" seem harder to execute than others, and the communication styles aren't exactly the same.

• Love 9

It looked to me like Melissa is too exhausted, even she admitted she's already scrapped the bottom of the barrel so she just doesnt have anything left. I'm disappointed though, I like her work and want to see her either win outright or produce something amazing and funky. I dont know what the hell Rob was thinking creating a monster with a giant turd right in the middle of its face. I know he was going for "rhino horn" but no, that looked like a turd. Having said that though, his director was being ridiculous! The man knows Rob only has two days now, knows he only has two helpers (so far! I mean if they throw in a third character like last season, both Rob and Melissa are toast), that director was just an ass. So it looks like it is Walter's to lose and I did not see that coming!

• Love 7

I am not especially thrilled about this, as it adds yet another variable. I am going to guess they gave the directors guidelines about how picky they could be, but some of the "visions" seem harder to execute than others, and the communication styles aren't exactly the same.

Like the director who wanted the ear holes more "holey"...

• Love 3

The man knows Rob only has two days now, knows he only has two helpers, that director was just an ass.

Yeah that director perhaps needed to loosen up on the reins of control, I mean communicate to Rob changes you'd like to see to meet your vision but don't micromanage every little frigging detail.

I thought that Walter's shrubbery demon actually looked sort of cute when it was done. The picture was scarier.

Also Melissa's demon also looked scarier before it was painted. I agree with the director that the lack of eye space needed to be bigger and gorier.

Matt and Meghan the models?  Both still cute in their own ways even with a seeping eye and half-shrubbed.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hope they're showing Rob in trouble to create drama for when he wins.

Possible, but that doesn't seem to be the Face Off way. The show, unlike most other reality competitions, seems to be very straightforward in its "reporting." To me, the winners of each challenge are completely predictable once we hear the judges' critique. There are never any fake-outs a la Project Runway. (Judges: Of the three of you in the top group you, Georgette, made the least creative interpretation of Niagara Falls as a cocktail dress. You, Quintas, made an impressive waterfall of pleats and you, Jean-Luc, incorporated actual water in your design which was a-mazing. And the winner is ----- Georgette!)

My guess is Rob really was stressed-out and overwhelmed by the director's critique so that's what they showed. If next week we see him getting a grip on the work and quickly turning out excellent new versions of the characters that look significantly better on camera than the others' work, then I'll believe he's going to win.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 3

I dont know what the hell Rob was thinking creating a monster with a giant turd right in the middle of its face. I know he was going for "rhino horn" but no, that looked like a turd.

I'm so glad somebody else saw it that way, too. I'm sure Rob didn't mean for it to be turdish, but that's all I could see.

If they wanted that last model to look more human and less demonic, perhaps she shouldn't have folded herself in half backwards. It was creepy and awesome and made me think I need to do more yoga.

I didn't think I had a preference for a winner until it started to look like Walter was in the lead. He's a nice guy and seems talented, but Melissa and Rob have both killed it this season. I'll be sad if either loses because of a picky director.

• Love 1
(edited)

So far, Walter's vision is the most cohesive and well executed. Melissa's felt low-key and uninspired, she looks like she has nothing left in the tank. As for Rob, his concept just didn't translate well (though the possessed make-up was a bad idea, right from the start), and his director didn't help much. Unless either Melissa or Rob does a 180 with a genius demon make-up, I don't see Walter losing the competition.

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 2

Possible, but that doesn't seem to be the Face Off way. The show, unlike most other reality competitions, seems to be very straightforward in its "reporting." To me, the winners of each challenge are completely predictable once we hear the judges' critique. There are never any fake-outs a la Project Runway. (Judges: Of the three of you in the top group, you Georgette, made the least creative interpretation of Niagara Falls as a cocktail dress. You, Quintas, made an impressive waterfall of pleats and you, Jean-Luc, incorporated actual water in your design which was a-mazing. And the winner is ----- Georgette!)

...which is why I vastly prefer Face Off to any other reality competition. I want to able to trust that the judges aren't actually smoking crack behind the scenes (an accusation often thrown at Project Runway judges and with good reason) and part of that is me listening to the judges verbalizing what works and what didn't. That and the comraderie between the contestants.

I didn't think I had a preference for a winner until it started to look like Walter was in the lead. He's a nice guy and seems talented, but Melissa and Rob have both killed it this season. I'll be sad if either loses because of a picky director.

This episode worried me so much. But then again, I've never hidden my preference for Rob *grins* While I do think Rob's director seemed overly nit-picky (and I wondered whether the director had problems with articulating his vision earlier when he sat down with Rob, since Rob isn't the sort to go completely off the reservation when it comes to outlines, or whether he's just one of those guys who simply has too many ideas and keep getting new ones?) two things keep me hopeful: a) that Rob has pulled a good makeup off, even when he had to start all over and b) that it's not the directors who are judging. Our judges might see something wonderful in a makeup the director has changed his mind about. I hope.

• Love 1

I think even McKenzie thought Rob's director was full of bullshit.  You could see her rolling her eyes in the background.

"Welcome back, Robert!" said no one ever.

• Love 5

"Welcome back, Robert!" said no one ever.

Heh. But it sounded as if Walter might be saying it now! Disguising the wonky edges with moss was a smart move by Robert.
  • Love 3

Disguising the wonky edges with moss was a smart move by Robert.

That's Robert's jam, fiddly shit at the edges. He was the last one picked too, nobody wanted him but Walter used him perfectly.

(edited)

Aww, I like Robert. But I do realize I like his personality more than his actual WORK. I mean, he has some interesting concepts that he totally can't translate, so that's why he teaches, I guess? I think he'd be a fun teacher to have.

I think this is Walter's to lose at this point. And Walter has actually surprised me, especially in these later challenges as he seemed to turn out make ups that were more and more inspired. I've been pulling hard for Rob, and I still think he may end up with the win, but I wouldn't be disappointed if either Walter OR Rob wins.

Actually, I'm never disappointed very much with a winner on Face Off. I nearly always have a favourite, but for the most part, these are some of the most likeable contestants on any reality competition show ever. Consistently, every season.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 8

Johnny did NOT seem thrilled to be there. Sorry, Buddy--a contract's a contract. But I think he's awfully nice-looking even with his perpetual "over it" face.

• Love 2

I think this is Walter's to lose at this point. And Walter has actually surprised me, especially in these later challenges as he seemed to turn out make ups that were more and more inspired. I've been pulling hard for Rob, and I still think he may end up with the win, but I wouldn't be disappointed if either Walter OR Rob wins.

Actually, I'm never disappointed very much with a winner on Face Off. I nearly always have a favourite, but for the most part, these are some of the most likeable contestants on any reality competition show ever. Consistently, every season.

I agree with you on both counts.  I almost disagreed and said there were winners I didn't care for but you've said it perfectly.  Even when I thought strongly someone else should win (Laura over Nicole, for example), I'm never actually that disappointed because there honestly aren't undeserving winners; the winners have always turned in great makeups.  This show is really the tops, both in the (generally) good quality and demeanor of its contestants, as well as the professionalism and insight  of the judges, not to mention the constant innovating they do in terms of shaking up the competition format.  That last one really is great, the way they always find ways to intelligently attempt to refine the good ideas and move on from the bad ones.  I do like this finale two-parter format and am glad it's back, and personally the idea of doing three similar scripts makes more sense- in terms of fairness, having them all in the same genre can make comparisons and judgment more reliable. But if ends up not working out, they'll tweak it again next season.

And as for Walter, I'm a little surprised to be rooting for him in the second half next week.  Those pieces were really well done, and the tree demon was nicely intimidating with his height in makeup.  How excited would a small- to- mid-budget director be if the makeup company they hired churned that out in just three days from initial meeting/concept discussion to test shooting; you've nailed your creature concept and seen a basically finished product.  And not only did he turn in some solid makeups, well ahead of the other two, but we also saw two fantastic things in his time at the lab.  First, his ability to find what people like Robert are good at and manage them well in terms of focus, encouragement, and guidance without being too hands-on.  He showed good time management and delegation, as well as feedback and praise.  Second, there was that little soundbite where he mentions- in talking about Robert's a-mossing adventures (ha! I slay me...)- how appreciative he is to have both of them on his team, because they can do fantastic things he never would have thought of.  It's such a great attitude to have, and another example of how Face Off is a different kind of reality TV show.

I don't know if he'll win next week, or Rob will do a 100-degree about face from his unsuccessful test shoot (not 180, because honestly that director was already bringing at least 75- to 80-degrees of unnecessary sass to the table), or Melissa will get her groove back.  But however it turns out, Walter's had a pretty good audition reel for jobs in the industry, as a mature, very competent, and solidly reliable makeup artist. As have all the finalists, really; any of them could deservedly win next week, and it wouldn't be a disappointment! :)

• Love 6

The great this about this show is, I don't feel like anyone is really kept around for the drama. So yeah, whoever wins, they deserve it in that they are there on their merit as a designer, not because having them around kept people watching. It is so refreshing. I would be fine with any of these three winning though I lean more towards Walter and Rob with a slight edge to Walter simply because he is blossoming at exactly the right time, and that monster he made is amazing.

I had no problem with Rob's director being picky because I thought Rob's monster looked like crap and his possessed chick even worse. I probably would have taken one look at it and just said "No! Start all over this sucks." So really the guy was more productive than I was about it. lol

Melissa's is good though I really, really feel like I've seen that eye deal before somewhere. I can't place where but every time I look at hers I get the sense it's a copy of something, and not in that "everything is a copy of something because everything has been done before" way but in a "this kinda feels like a knock off of something I just can't recall the movie I saw it in last time".

I'm excited to see Walter's finished product because what he's done so far is sooooo good.

I'm excited to see Rob's finished product because it should be quite different so that will be a nice surprise.

Melissa's is pretty good, the face work is amazing but I'm not that excited because I don't imagine a lot of changes and it's just not wowing me like Walters.

But let's bring on the finale! Anyone for the win!!!! I do believe the best three made it to the end.

• Love 2

Melissa's is good though I really, really feel like I've seen that eye deal before somewhere. I can't place where but every time I look at hers I get the sense it's a copy of something, and not in that "everything is a copy of something because everything has been done before" way but in a "this kinda feels like a knock off of something I just can't recall the movie I saw it in last time".

Maybe the focus on the lack of eyes remind you of Guillermo del Toro's monster from Pan's Labyrinth? My mind at least went straight to it when I heard horror + no eyes...

• Love 2

Yay for Lois! I knew she was the guest as soon as McKenzie said that she worked on The Princess Bride. I read Cary Elwes' book when it came out and he mentioned how kind Lois was.

I prefer last season's finale set up with one director for all three contestants. It just seems fairer to me than having three different directors who have varying levels of pickiness.

Walter has the least amount of changes to make. Melissa got a lot of very specific notes, but she took it all in stride. Poor Rob looked like he was on the verge of having a nervous breakdown after his camera test (and I don't blame him because he is being asked to make a lot of changes in a very short amount of time).

I dont know what the hell Rob was thinking creating a monster with a giant turd right in the middle of its face. I

Ha, perfect (and hilarious) description!

• Love 1

I don't have much to add to the above. I'm not a big horror fan either, and the scripts sounded so lame.

But if Rob can't get his changes done, it looks like Walter's to lose.

I thought the paint job on Melissa's demon was bad, but it looked surprisingly better on camera. That's why I really like this finale idea.

• Love 1

I think Robert's better at fabrication than at facial sculpting, which means he's not ideally suited for this show. But he's got the right skills to be a useful member of a team.

• Love 2

I had a boss like Rob's director. She would give direction, which we would try to deliver on, and then she would get more ideas as we working so she kept adding to the project until it became a real case of mission impossible.

Oh, gawd, I used to have to prepare reports for one manager who'd give me detailed specs. Then. Tell me "Well, now, that I see it, what I really need is ...."  It'd drive me ca-razzzzzy.

Oh, gawd, I used to have to prepare reports for one manager who'd give me detailed specs. Then. Tell me "Well, now, that I see it, what I really need is ...."  It'd drive me ca-razzzzzy.

Ha! I used to do children's book illustration. And I had the boss who would give me a specific assignment (I need a happy zebra!).Then when I turned up with several drafts of happy zebras for him to choose from, he would look at me with a combination of annoyance and pity and say, "What the hell is this? I need a pack of sleepy hound dogs!" Needless to say, I moved on from that job as fast as I could.

I hope if any of the directors on Face Off get too far away from reality that Mr. Westmore would step in and advise the contestants as to where it would be appropriate/professionally acceptable to draw the line. Or more likely, have an off-stage discussion with the director, after which he would return to the contestants to say, "now that I've had some time to think it over, the only changes I really want are these four."

• Love 1

Way late to the party here, almost didn't watch this part because, really, does it matter? At any rate, I did, and I'll skip all the extra stuff to just say that yes, it is Walter's show now. Rob has been slipping, and Melissa, well, that's another story. We'll see in a few days, but in my eyes, W. has it now. Wasn't real thrilled at M. getting another Cyclops, either, how is that fair? Though props to her for not trying to do the same thing. Jeez, I just realized after Wednesday, I am almost out of shows........